Podcasts?

Podcasts?

Unread postby ashez2ashes » June 22nd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else was a big fan of listening to podcasts. I've been listening to them a lot for the past year since I got hired at an office. They help keep me sane at work. There's also something really fun about amateur radio. You can get topics NPR would never cover, and the unpolishedness of it often works in its favor.

So far my favorite ones are Spellcast (a harry potter fanfiction podcast), Fast Karate for the Gentleman (reminds me of hanging out with your friends in highschool/college and just making fun of anime... god I miss that), The Greatest Movie Ever, and GeeksOn.

Does anyone else listen to podcasts? And if so, which ones?
ashez2ashes

Re: Podcasts?

Unread postby Wittgen » June 22nd, 2009, 6:36 pm

The Penny Arcade D&D podcasts were highly enjoyable. They weren't as good as actually playing D&D, obviously, but they did capture some of that fun. The Penny Arcade podcasts detailing how they actually make the strips are also fun. Then again, I'm a sucker for creative process.
Wittgen

Unread postby shoootme » June 22nd, 2009, 6:49 pm

i did listen to bungies podcast but don't have the time to listen to that long a podcast now i can manage 15 mins of Writing Excuses thanks who ever put that up i forget who it was.
shoootme

Unread postby serbii » June 22nd, 2009, 10:04 pm

I used to listed to The Video Game Show. By gamercastnetwork.com but I kind of fell out of it. They were (are?) pretty good. I think I stopped when I stopped playing the sims :biggrin1 I used to do both at once. Don't listen to any now
serbii

Unread postby doc.exe » June 23rd, 2009, 1:28 am

Usually, I don't listen to podcast, mostly because my internet connection is awful.

Neverthless, I was in an internship a couple of years ago, and my boss tended to listen to a lot of podcasts while working. Since I was in the desk next to him, I also listened. They made the usually boring nature of the office more bearable.

Some of them were incredibly wacky. I remember a particular one about the broadcaster narrating his quest to unveil a conspiracy intented to destroy the podcast. It involved a time bomb, a foul mouthed kid, an angry mom and a mysterious shadowy figure trying to get rid of the podcast. Talking about breaking the 4th wall in creative ways...
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Calinero » January 2nd, 2010, 4:15 am

Despite not being from Australia, I am still a fan of the australiangamer.com podcast. Unfortunately, I very rarely have time to listen to the entire thing. It's a good listen, though, if you have time for it and are at all interested in video games. Especially if you live in Australia.
Calinero

Unread postby ashez2ashes » January 2nd, 2010, 2:56 pm

Just wanted to add another podcast to my recommendation list: I've been listening to Anime World Order lately. It's great for hearing about obscure and different anime and manga titles I'd otherwise. All of the hosts are also my age (late twenties) which is a big plus in my book.

I probably only have about 2 more weeks of their podcasts before I have to go out and search again for a new one to help fill my 8 hour works days... :blah!:
Last edited by ashez2ashes on January 2nd, 2010, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby gman391 » January 2nd, 2010, 5:19 pm

I don't listen to a lot of podcasts but thats more cause I don't know of any....can I get some links please?
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby ashez2ashes » January 2nd, 2010, 9:49 pm

Sure, here's some links to a few I like to listen to:

Spellcast - a Harry Potter fanfiction podcast.
Fast Karate for the Gentleman - a very humorous anime and video game podcast.
GeeksOn - a group of friends who just happen to be industry professionals (two writers, an actor, and someone who works in the video game industry) talk about a specific geeky topic each episode like mad scientists, zombies, etc.
Anime World Order - a very good anime podcast that reviews different and obscure anime. They're also all adults, which is a plus.

And um, what the hell my podcast too (shameless I know).

The Power of Friendship - an anime and fantasy movie podcast.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby gman391 » January 2nd, 2010, 10:07 pm

Thank you kindly
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Return to “%s” Geek Culture