Non-Naruto Manga Discussion (Topic may include spoilers)

Non-Naruto Manga Discussion (Topic may include spoilers)

Unread postby MorphCross » August 24th, 2008, 1:31 am

Pretty self explanatory right, If you've started or have been reading other manga feel free to discuss. Just fyi, doesn't have to be Shounen, this is an open topic, and if I hear about some that you like I may give them a try.

Seeing as how I posted the topic i'll start.

FullMetal Alchemist. I had recently gotten into FMA kick by watching the anime again, so I finally decided to try the Manga. From chapter one on I was pretty much hooked.

For the first few chapters, it was something of a walk down memory lane that had me reliving the laughs as well as the tears (I'll admit I cried like a little boy with a scraped knee about Nina and the funeral for Hughes). But I also came to appreciate the subtle differences in each character between the anime and their manga counterparts. I especially enjoyed the difference in Envy.

I appreciate how hard it must have been for Bones to take what they had in manga at the time and attempt to expand on it. It had to have been difficult to take artistic license with the established canon not knowing how the manga would develop and end. To be honest I enjoy both. :D

The most recent chapter (as of 8/24/08) had me going heck yea, kick that gelatinous blobs fatass, Ranfan! Oh, Ed is finally taller than Winry, which led to a *moment* :aww:

Satan 666: Realizing that Kishi has a brother who also is an author of manga was one thing, realizing that both story lines were very similiar was a :? :roll: moment. After getting through that, I appreciated the differences and kept on reading. Out of the recent manga i've read, this is the only one that is actually complete. Sadly, this one had the rather oblique ending that has always plagued manga. Of course, the good thing about that is it allows others to write fanfics to their hearts content, so it could be worse. :lol:

That is it for now, i'd say time for bed but i'm actually going to kick back and watch some Naruto Dub.

Later.
MorphCross

Re: Non-Naruto Manga Discussion (Topic may include spoilers)

Unread postby Zerrat » August 24th, 2008, 2:15 am

FullMetal Alchemist. I had recently gotten into FMA kick by watching the anime again, so I finally decided to try the Manga. From chapter one on I was pretty much hooked.

For the first few chapters, it was something of a walk down memory lane that had me reliving the laughs as well as the tears (I'll admit I cried like a little boy with a scraped knee about Nina and the funeral for Hughes). But I also came to appreciate the subtle differences in each character between the anime and their manga counterparts. I especially enjoyed the difference in Envy.

I appreciate how hard it must have been for Bones to take what they had in manga at the time and attempt to expand on it. It had to have been difficult to take artistic license with the established canon not knowing how the manga would develop and end. To be honest I enjoy both. :D

The most recent chapter (as of 8/24/08) had me going heck yea, kick that gelatinous blobs fatass, Ranfan! Oh, Ed is finally taller than Winry, which led to a *moment* :aww:
I actually PREFER the manga to the anime, and it has nothing to do with supposed manga-snobbery. It has a slightly more hopeful air, and Ed doesn't look like his best friend died each time I read it. Yeah, I know he has reason to be down, but manga-Ed feels more resilient. He still looks like he thinks he can win, and I find that air of determination less depressing.

Al's development is definately better, especially with
Spoiler: show
his armour starting to reject his soul. And I nearly cried when I saw his malnourished body beyond the Gate
The manga also has kick-butt characters. Ran Fan's automail is just win. I rather think Winry's been a tad outdone. Wonder who the mechanic is? We also get General Grumman, Mei and... *drumroll* Ling Yao. Ling makes the manga, and practically embodies everything I like about it.
Any chapter with Ling or Greed-Ling make me happy, so the last update was friggin' awesome for me.
In addition, the subtle details in the manga are amazing. Ed can't swim because of his automail - it wasn't very well shown in the anime, in my opinion. It starts cooking him in the desert and his could kill him in the north. Those kind of details nearly make me swoon as a reader. :biggrin1

Kimberlee was more sinister. I like that. The Ishbal war actually felt more brutal. It had a far bigger emotional impact on me than it did in the anime. Man, I truly wished Ishbal had won, and that Bradley was truly a
homunculus
ass.

Plus I feel like Hoenheim is actually a likeable character in this universe.

And now I must go find this week's fix of Code Geass.
Zerrat

Unread postby MrRigger2 » August 24th, 2008, 2:17 am

Actually, the only manga other than Naruto is Bleach. But since right now it's freaking awesome, I'm not disappointed. Yumichika just had a great fight with one of the most disturbing characters in the entire series, now I'm just wondering which fight they're going to do next.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby MorphCross » August 24th, 2008, 2:47 am

I would have to agree Zerrat, the manga has far more development than the anime. But that is to be expected, otherwise the anime might still be ongoing.

On an unrelated note there is a rumor of Bones picking up FMA again, for what type of story line I can't imagine. But if it's true :animyikes: .
Hopefully they can hurry up and regain Al's body. Last time we saw him he wasn't looking so hot.
While I will always admire the guts and determination displayed by Winry, I do agree that she falls within the traditional stereotype of a female character being a doctor. But that is to be expected considering her parents background.

On the other hand you have the awesomeness that is Riza, Ranfan, and Maria Ross (someone who up till now, we haven't seen much of). But I'm betting with the recent chapters that will change. Everything is in motion in the Manga and I get the feeling that there will be an end soon.

I may start reading more of Bleach, but with the Anime following the Manga, I haven't taken the opportunity to do so.
MorphCross

Unread postby MrRigger2 » August 24th, 2008, 9:52 am

Well, with them in fillers at the moment, it might be a good time to start reading it. Though it's not completely necessary, due to Bleach filler arcs generally being much better quality than most. *cough*Naruto*cough*

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby nfk » August 24th, 2008, 10:49 am

Actually, the only manga other than Naruto is Bleach. But since right now it's freaking awesome, I'm not disappointed. Yumichika just had a great fight with one of the most disturbing characters in the entire series, now I'm just wondering which fight they're going to do next.

MrRigger
Yea, Bleach hasn't been a let down, unlike some other manga I know. I was worried a bit after the whole save Rukia thing because of Ichigo's rapid growth. The only way to keep the story interesting was for him to fight more powerful and crazy baddies. Which could have easily lead to a boring plot with huge action sequences. But it hasn't disappointed yet.

A haven't read One Piece in a while. I'm waiting for the latest arc to finish. The story was great up to the Robin arc and I'm undecided about the Brook arc right now.

Claymore has been a fun ride. There's just something about it. Badass half-demon girls with swords. It's definitely gruesome with a heaping side of violence and... I like it. :oops:

And Full Metal Alchemist is great. I find myself enjoying the manga much more than I ever did anime for many of the same reasons as everyone else her.
nfk

Unread postby ShonenHero » August 24th, 2008, 11:08 am

Well, with them in fillers at the moment, it might be a good time to start reading it. Though it's not completely necessary, due to Bleach filler arcs generally being much better quality than most. *cough*Naruto*cough*

MrRigger
Yeah, I agree. Bleach's filler really isn't all that bad. Some people can't stomach it just because it's filler, but if you can't look pass that then your really missing out. A lot of it's filler episodes have a lot of good character development for all those secondary characters in the cast that kinda fall at the way side during the main arcs.

Also, I haven't really kept up with the Bleach manga in a while. I've been trying to hold off on reading it so that when I finally do have some time to catch up, I'll have like 50+ chapters I can look over instead of waiting for a new chapter to come out every week. :biggrin2
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby MrRigger2 » August 24th, 2008, 11:23 am

Meh, the wait's never really bothered me. I know it gets to some people, but really, we wait longer for fanfiction chapters that aren't nearly as good. And for stories like Team 8 and NoFP, we'll hunker down on the surface of the sun if that's what it takes.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby ShonenHero » August 24th, 2008, 11:28 am

Meh, the wait's never really bothered me. I know it gets to some people, but really, we wait longer for fanfiction chapters that aren't nearly as good. And for stories like Team 8 and NoFP, we'll hunker down on the surface of the sun if that's what it takes.

MrRigger
It isn't necessarily that the wait bothers me or anything; I just enjoy kicking back and reading huge chunks of chapters for a few hours. =)
ShonenHero

Unread postby Zerrat » August 24th, 2008, 11:40 am

Good old literary binges are always fun.

Got the Code Geass fix now, all's good.
C.C got her memories back, Lelouch has started down the 'path of the demon king' with no morals to speak of, Anya has Marianne's memories/spirit/psyche/whatever in her, and Schnizel is staging revolt against Charles. Oh, and Suzaku got himself a new name. 'Runzaku'. I'll post a gif.

Live Geass kicks in when Suzaku tries to assassinate the Knight of One and Charles. "RUN BITCH!"

And in case anyone wasn't scarred for life enough from the last few chapters of Bleach...

Zerrat

Unread postby ShonenHero » August 24th, 2008, 11:46 am

Good old literary binges are always fun.

Got the Code Geass fix now, all's good.
C.C got her memories back, Lelouch has started down the 'path of the demon king' with no morals to speak of, Anya has Marianne's memories/spirit/psyche/whatever in her, and Schnizel is staging revolt against Charles. Oh, and Suzaku got himself a new name. 'Runzaku'. I'll post a gif.

Live Geass kicks in when Suzaku tries to assassinate the Knight of One and Charles. "RUN BITCH!"

And in case anyone wasn't scarred for life enough from the last few chapters of Bleach...

Ewwwww, you can see his pubic hair. :puke: :puke: :puke:
ShonenHero

Unread postby MorphCross » August 24th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Naw, life scarring would be that guy, Maito Gai, Mr.mr., and Alex Louis Armstrong all pulling that exact same pose. Wearing the outfits from Village people. :jest: :blah!: :puke:
MorphCross

Unread postby ShonenHero » August 24th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Naw, life scarring would be that guy, Maito Gai, Mr.mr., and Alex Louis Armstrong all pulling that exact same pose. Wearing the outfits from Village people. :jest: :blah!: :puke:
Ugh, that's just... Bad. Mental. Image. If someone has some brain bleach layin' around, please pass it on over. :blah!:
ShonenHero

Unread postby MorphCross » August 24th, 2008, 3:15 pm

*Removes cap on unopened jug of brain bleach and passes it to Specinator* Here you go, I never use it so I figured someone should. :twisted:
MorphCross

Unread postby Darkandus » August 24th, 2008, 3:21 pm

If only I could frame a mental image.
Darkandus

Unread postby ewuvi » August 24th, 2008, 4:57 pm

I cried when Greed died in the manga. I also cried at the passing of Maes.

Greed-Ling is my favorite. A combination of 2/3 of my favorite FMA characters.
ewuvi

Unread postby MorphCross » August 24th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Now, I don't want everyone to think this discussion is focused around FMA. It is an open discussion for all genre and titles so if you have any other favorites, throw 'em on out. Any that you've been reading recently, throw 'em on out.

I've started paging through some random sections on One Manga and started reading Black Lagoon. Meh, it's ok, really so far it's just a way to pass the time. I may decide it's not worth continuing and go on to greener pastures. :)
MorphCross

Unread postby ewuvi » August 24th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Uzumaki. I can't look at spirals the same way anymore.

Also, Hellsing. Yes. Hellsing. Alexander Anderson is my hero, and I'm actually a Lutheran so I'd be screwed if I ever came within bayonet launching range.
ewuvi

Unread postby Zerrat » August 24th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Bayonet launching range, huh? :shock:
Zerrat

Unread postby MorphCross » August 24th, 2008, 8:10 pm

I definitetly need to read Hellsing, I have the three OVA's so there's no excuse not to.
MorphCross

Unread postby ewuvi » August 24th, 2008, 8:20 pm

I would say throwing, but launching seems so much more accurate for his range. Go crazy priests!
ewuvi

Unread postby Darkandus » August 24th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I always had a suspicion he was Scottish...Anyway, what is their slaughter policy for Athiests? I need to know whether I should duck when I see him. :D
Darkandus

Unread postby unknown399 » August 24th, 2008, 9:17 pm

I'm a Catholic, so I'd be in the clear. 'Course, by that same token, I don't think the Hellsing organization would let me wander about and interfere with their business...

As far as manga goes, the only one I specifically keep up-to-date on is One Piece, which has been quite awesome as of late. It's been the one long-running manga that's consistantly kept me interested in reading more and seeing what happens next. All the crazy stuff that's been going down at the Sabaody Archipelago, between the Eleven Supernovas, Kizaru, the Kuma-bots, and all the fantastic new Devil Fruits... Oda's been on a powerhouse roll of surprises and awesome twists.
A haven't read One Piece in a while. I'm waiting for the latest arc to finish. The story was great up to the Robin arc and I'm undecided about the Brook arc right now.
Thriller Bark was a pretty awesome arc, in my opinion. It started out looking like something short and silly, but all the combination attacks and teamwork used to down Oz and Moria, and especially Zoro's big stand there at the end, were really badass. The Sabaody Archipelago arc has been great so far, though, for reasons including even more badass-ness and a bunch of major plot revelations.

I've been following the Soul Eater manga, but only as far as the anime has gotten. Since the anime adaptation is so close to the source material, and so well executed, I don't really want to cheapen the experience by finding out what happens in advance. Even so, I've had to hold myself from reading more.

I'll sporadically catch up on Eyeshield 21 after not reading anything for a while. It's always fun, and I really like the art style and perspective Yusuke Murata provides for the series.

Recently, I sampled something called Sket Dance, which is full of amusement and silliness. Haven't caught all the way up to current stuff, though.
unknown399

Unread postby ashez2ashes » August 24th, 2008, 9:55 pm

I've been digging Nodame Cantabile, a series about students at a music college. Nodame is pretty awesome and has hilariously bad personal hygiene. It's also refreshing to read about actual adults for once. If I have to read about one more school festival I may scream... maybe I'm becoming an old crotchety anime fan, I dunno...

I sporadically come back to Eyeshield 21 and School Rumble. Totally dropped Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. I'll probably come back to One Piece eventually though. I'll check out Bleach again if/when they ever tell us the story behind Ichigo's dad.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby ewuvi » August 26th, 2008, 9:27 pm

always had a suspicion he was Scottish...Anyway, what is their slaughter policy for Athiests? I need to know whether I should duck when I see him.
I think Atheism qualifies as 'Heathen' in his book. I would convert just to be able to get near him without dying. Of course, I wouldn't believe in most of the odd little traditions but still.

My pastor made a nun cry. That is why I love my church.
ewuvi

Return to “%s” Geek Culture