For the Emperor

Re: For the Emperor

Unread postby Phht » August 4th, 2011, 1:24 am

Got DoW2 Retribution for b-day along with Soulstorm. Installed both of them around the same time, but Soulstorm ended up gone to free up space. I hate the Sisters of Battle in DoW. They suck utterly for my play style (flame turrets? What is this, Red Alert? flamers and heavy bolters only outside heavy weapon squads?). I get the whole purging with fire fluff connection, but they just don't work for me. Also, I expected more territories in single player considering the territories on a single planet in Dark Crusade. I'll probably not be reinstalling Soulstorm any time soon.

Retribution? Well, all I can say is HOLY CRAP. That Exterminatus was incredible to see, and I hope I never see it again in a WH40k game. Playing through on the IG/Inquisition campaign currently (and need to work on finishing that and then doing Marine campaign).

--

I can't help but think that the Eldar and Imperium need to work together to "guide" a Tyrannid Hive fleet into the Eye of Terror.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » August 4th, 2011, 2:08 am

You think a hive fleet would be a threat to the Eye?

Heh. Haha. Hahahah!
:animlol:

I played through soulstorm a few times just to try out the new stuff, but having the sisters in there was annoying. Have not gotten retribution yet though.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Phht » August 4th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Not the entire Eye.

But given:
  • When Hive Fleet Behemoth rolled in, it ate one major world (and several minor worlds), the entire First Company of the Ultramarines, and near took out their chapter homeworld despite the arrival of an entire Imperial Navy Battleforce...
  • Hive Fleet Kraken ate numerous systems and planets, entire space marine chapters were completely or nearly completely wiped out, and an Eldar craftworld was nearly destroyed. Scattered fleets from this one still ravage parts of the Imperium (and in fact at least one has grown to Hive Fleet status).
  • Hive Fleet Leviathan had half its force stopped without too much apparent loss of life, and its other half was drawn into an ongoing war with Orks.
Then a Hive fleet could do some damage in the Eye. A world here, a world there. It'll eventually add up. And even if the Tyranids don't really manage much ever, they'd bleed out some of the Chaos forces while the Chaos forces wipe out a threat to the Galaxy.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » August 4th, 2011, 3:32 pm

You make valid point. Surprising coming from an imperial.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Phht » June 30th, 2012, 11:16 pm

So, I will say that the IG ending to Retribution wasn't too bad. Kinda amusing, actually. The poor Marine chapter though.

The final fight wasn't too tough, but that's what happens when you engage the enemy from the edge of your Baneblade's range instead of committing dozens of units into the killing field around the boss in an effort to wear it down hard and fast. :D

--

Space Marine (and the rest of the Warhammer series and DLC) is on sale this weekend on Steam, so I picked it up.

I can't help but think that 2/3 of the squad were somewhat OOC for how Ultramarines are portrayed, and Leandros was an ass in any event, if actually IC for an Ultrasmurf. ;)

Plot was interesting, though by this point I'm wondering why the hell so many game/fic/whatever plots seem to lead to being part of a Chaos Plot. Feels a little overused to me at this point, like killing Germans in a WWII FPS.

Also, I feel somewhat let down by the multiplayer. This was an opportunity to get some nice co-op campaign action going on while utilizing the class system they used for mp (Tactical/Devestator/Assault and Chaos equiv) and provide multiple ways to complete a mission based on what people were using. And instead we get generic multiplayer stuff and Exterminatus mode (20 wave survival co-op mode).
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 3rd, 2012, 10:04 am

It's Warhammer 40K, when is it not a Chaos (or Eldar) plot of some sort?
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » July 3rd, 2012, 1:13 pm

It's Warhammer 40K, when is it not a Chaos (or Eldar) plot of some sort?
I would say DoW2 wasn't a Chaos plot, but Retribution, IIRC, had it as all part of his evil plot. It was definitely at least an Eldar plot in any event.

To be honest, everything turning out to have Chaos or Eldar involvement is, to me, a weakness to most of the WH40k plot lines I've seen from Relic (Chaos Rising and Retribution being exceptions on the Chaos side)... and apparently other WH40k fluff. The Ork invasion in Space Marine was not apparently part of the Chaos plot, but rather the plot took advantage of the opportunity provided. But my storyline still ended up with CHAOS EVERYWHERE. Just because Eldar are mysterious space elves and Chaos is evil, doesn't mean game plots and the like have to have them involved in the story in any way. Space Marine could've worked without adding in the Chaos segment, for instance.

--

BTW, anyone want to play Space Marine Exterminatus mode at some point?
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 4th, 2012, 11:55 pm

The thing with Chaos and Eldar plots is that they're so convenient, not to mention both sides are prone to it.

Now, doing it as a Genestealer Cult and subsequent Tyranid invasion would be an interesting idea for a game. Hmm, perhaps having the protagonist as an Inquisitor where you have multiple endings, with the best one being an imperial victory and not resulting in an exterminatus (which is supposed to be last resort anyway).
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » July 5th, 2012, 1:05 am

Now, doing it as a Genestealer Cult and subsequent Tyranid invasion would be an interesting idea for a game. Hmm, perhaps having the protagonist as an Inquisitor where you have multiple endings, with the best one being an imperial victory and not resulting in an exterminatus (which is supposed to be last resort anyway).
Persona-esque RPG? ;) Disgaea style game where you play as a Tyrannid leader invading a world? ... actually, that sounds pretty workable.

Heck, how about a game from the PoV of Eldar forces? Then we can have Eldar Plot going on, without it be a yet another ho-hum "Imperials triumph over xeno and heretic scum!" story. For that matter, do a game from the PoV of one of the traitor legions during the Horus Heresy (or a loyal legion during the same period).
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 21st, 2012, 5:40 pm

Or the Legion of the Damned, considering what it is.

I would like to see an Inquisitor-centric game, just to spice things up. Ordo Xenos, just to add potential variety, which is why I brought up the Genestealer cult angle. It would be interesting to see an inquisitor root one out, only to then have to rally the Imperial forces of a world to fight off a Tyrannid invasion. Perhaps calling in some Deathwatch Marines to help out once things really go pear shaped.

Considering that the Imperial forces would be hurting in the leadership department by then, considering that Command and Control is one of the things a Genestealer cult is to disable.

jgkitarel

Return to “%s” Geek Culture