The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead

Unread postby Dervon » November 25th, 2010, 8:28 am

So, anyone been watching this? I've seen three episodes so far (fourth this Friday, fffff yeah!), and I love every aspect of it! Great production values, a more survivor-centric plot then most zombie spiels, a very fitting cast, the music fits the scenes... /fanboysqueels

I've also read the comic the tv series is based on. Excellent stuff.

Trailer (for those of you who haven't come across this yet; I suggest upping it to the best ratio and full-screening it!):

:want:
Dervon

Re: The Walking Dead

Unread postby MrRigger2 » November 25th, 2010, 11:59 am

I keep hearing good things about it, but I haven't gotten the chance to watch it myself. I keep forgetting when it comes on, and so don't get to watch it. It doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of zombie films, so I'm not sure how my reaction to it would be.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Dervon » November 25th, 2010, 12:08 pm

I keep hearing good things about it, but I haven't gotten the chance to watch it myself. I keep forgetting when it comes on, and so don't get to watch it. It doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of zombie films, so I'm not sure how my reaction to it would be.

MrRigger
Give it a shot if you can, it's a new take (well, newish) on the genera. Worth the look even if you aren't a massive fan, and heck, if you hate it you'll hate it from the get-go first episode and be able to spare yourself the rest.

Well ok, technically first TWO episodes to really set the tone, I suppose.

:nom_nom:
Dervon

Unread postby Greybane » November 27th, 2010, 9:10 pm

I've watched every episode that has appeared so far (something like 6 I think?) and while not a screaming fan, it is quite good. The main character is a pretty interesting and they keep things like 'what would happen to your eardrums if you fire a bullet IN the tank' somewhat realistic.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Dervon » November 27th, 2010, 9:38 pm

I've watched every episode that has appeared so far (something like 6 I think?) and while not a screaming fan, it is quite good. The main character is a pretty interesting and they keep things like 'what would happen to your eardrums if you fire a bullet IN the tank' somewhat realistic.
I've seen it up to episode 3 over here. Yo Grey, you read the comic? Am I right in saying that they've deviated somewhat (or a lot) by the end of season 1?
Dervon

Unread postby Greybane » November 28th, 2010, 4:09 am

I didn't know there was a comic! Online version you can link to?
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby spudman » November 28th, 2010, 4:45 am

From what I've heard there are and will continue to be differences from the comic, but there will also be common arcs and plot as well. Check the website for the show (search amc, the walking dead) and you'll be able to find some cool interviews, etc.

It's unfortunate that they only ordered six episodes for the first season. If more seasons are ordered (and the show is apparently doing well so I think there will be) then those seasons will supposedly be at least 13 episodes each.

I like how the characters are developing; they're more than just generic survivors, these people had identities before the end of the world and though they have had to adapt to survive in this new one they're still shaped by who they were/are. While there's the awareness that the dead could always be around the next corner, the most common problems are human ones.

The actors do a great job, any complaints on my part would be nitpicks really. I could go on and on about individual performances and certain scenes...but one scene in Episode 3 that I will mention:
Spoiler: show
I think the guy who plays Darrel nailed that yell of despair when he found his brother's hand.
Yeah...I LOVE this show. :in_love:
spudman

Unread postby Dervon » November 28th, 2010, 10:23 am

I didn't know there was a comic! Online version you can link to?
Sadly, there ain't an online version of it, unless you use... Erm... Yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee, is all I'm saying. :secret_laugh:

Most comic-book shops carry the series, I think.

@spudman: They've already confirmed that at least a Season 2 will be shot, and it will be 13 episodes long. FRAAAAAK YEAAAAH!
Loved the episode 3 twist, the one where the supposed group of gang-bangers and thugs turns out to be the caretakers for all the old-folk that got left behind at that nursing home. Very "d'aaaaw"-worthy moment right there. XD
Dervon

Unread postby spudman » November 28th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Loved the episode 3 4 twist, the one where the supposed group of gang-bangers and thugs turns out to be the caretakers for all the old-folk that got left behind at that nursing home. Very "d'aaaaw"-worthy moment right there. XD
Fixed.

Also...
The end of that episode (same episode as the supposed gang-bangers) is a real gut punch, isn't it? The dead remind the characters and us, the audience, that they can come in at any time and ruin everyone's $%*^.
I took the "survival test" on the show's website. Turns out I'm like Dale, the grandfatherly type that looks out for the rest of the group while they look to him for wisdom. I'm way too young to be a grandfather type person! :TT_TT:
spudman

Unread postby Dervon » November 28th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Oops, then I'm 4 episodes into the series, thanks spudman!
I'm guessing that they reveal that Merle had a hand (harr harr puns) in things going to hell, no? I mean, we're shown that they had a sort of jurry-rigged alarm system around their camp, and with the number of walkers that attacked you'd expect that they would have heard, no?
Dervon

Unread postby spudman » November 28th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I'm guessing that they reveal that Merle had a hand (harr harr puns) in things going to hell, no? I mean, we're shown that they had a sort of jurry-rigged alarm system around their camp, and with the number of walkers that attacked you'd expect that they would have heard, no?
O, I wouldn't be surprised.
Though if that is the case, I wonder how Darryl (Darrel?) would respond. I think the younger brother shows potential for some development into being less of a racist #$$^*le. Even now, I suspect he would side with the group rather than the brother that tried to take out an entire group of people, including innocent children, for revenge against a few. Plus Merle putting his own brother's life at risk. Even if Merle knew Darryl wasn't in camp...that would mean he knowingly left him in the city. But going against the bond of family can be really tough so who knows.
spudman

Unread postby Dervon » November 28th, 2010, 10:43 pm

O, I wouldn't be surprised.
Though if that is the case, I wonder how Darryl (Darrel?) would respond. I think the younger brother shows potential for some development into being less of a racist #$$^*le. Even now, I suspect he would side with the group rather than the brother that tried to take out an entire group of people, including innocent children, for revenge against a few. Plus Merle putting his own brother's life at risk. Even if Merle knew Darryl wasn't in camp...that would mean he knowingly left him in the city. But going against the bond of family can be really tough so who knows.
I do also find it funny that
apparently a zombie apocalypse is enough of an excuse to forget common-sense safety habits, i.e.: TAKING YOUR KEYS OUT OF THE IGNITION! FFFF- XD
Dervon

Unread postby spudman » November 29th, 2010, 12:08 am

apparently a zombie apocalypse is enough of an excuse to forget common-sense safety habits, i.e.: TAKING YOUR KEYS OUT OF THE IGNITION! FFFF- XD
Well...
Maybe their thought was that nobody outside their party knew where they would park, and it's better to leave the key in the van than have it on one of them when that person might be swarmed and eaten by walkers
spudman

Unread postby Dervon » December 5th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Well...
Maybe their thought was that nobody outside their party knew where they would park, and it's better to leave the key in the van than have it on one of them when that person might be swarmed and eaten by walkers
Ehh yeah, I figure there would be good reasons to do it, but damn if they didn't back-fire here! XD

Just saw episode 5. MAAAAJOR plot deviation from the comic, wondering where they're going with it. Looks promising, kinda annoyed that the ep.6 preview pretty much gave the whole conflict away for it, though.
Dervon

Unread postby spudman » December 6th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Seen the season finale yet, Derv?
spudman

Unread postby Dervon » December 7th, 2010, 4:37 am

Seen the season finale yet, Derv?
Not till this Friday at the earliest, not.
Dervon

Unread postby spudman » December 8th, 2010, 2:43 am

Well, in the meantime we can discuss episode 5.

They've introduced new characters and are doing different things that are not in the comic, but you're right that this latest deviation was huge.

Then, there are scenes that are lifted almost perfectly from the comic.
Jim's deterioration and death were amazingly poignant.
How about that scene with Shane and Rick?
Both in the woods, teasing of their final confrontation in the comic, only for nothing to actually happen...THIS TIME. And Dale's reaction to what Shane was doing was great. Shane's explanation was reasonable enough, but that doubt is not gone, I bet.
spudman

Unread postby Dervon » December 8th, 2010, 9:24 am

Word, I think the Dale stuff was done better in the series then in the comic (or rather, it was simply more effective). Loved how Darrel gave him that little nod of respect for what he was doing.
As for the newer stuffs:
Urp, I trust the writers, but damn if I'm not a wee bit worried. Dunno, everything from the pass on the woods confrontation to this new CDC plot-line can be awesome, if handled right.
Dervon

Unread postby spudman » December 9th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Urp, I trust the writers, but damn if I'm not a wee bit worried. Dunno, everything from the pass on the woods confrontation to this new CDC plot-line can be awesome, if handled right.
Who knows...
$%*& is definitely going to go down at some point, and they'll probably have the actual confronation in the woods another time. But who knows, maybe it will go to hell with the rest of the group right there or something entirely different.

I read something (some review) that mentioned most of the writing staff might be replaced. That worries me a bit.
spudman

Unread postby Melverne » October 23rd, 2011, 6:47 pm

I waited until the season was finished then watched it on DVD. It was a pretty good show. The only reason I say pretty good instead of great is because I read the comic. It was a nice attempt but the comic is just plain better. I did like some of the characters they added though. The hillbilly hunters were a good addition. I hope the second season is just as good or better.

Melverne
Melverne

Return to “%s” Geek Culture