This is the Ultimate Showdown...

Re: This is the Ultimate Showdown...

Unread postby jgkitarel » April 15th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Then again, who out there doesn't want to see Luthor finally be killed off for real?

Not that it's gonna happen. He's the most dangerous villain in the DC'verse.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Lightwhispers » April 27th, 2011, 11:35 am

This one is due to me getting irritated by some excessive Warhammer 40K wank.

The setup: The Void Engineers (yes, the entire convention) have a year's prep time, decent intelligence, and can be certain of taking over a planet and the surrounding Warp as their foothold. They invade the WH40K galaxy, and, unfortunately (for them and for the galaxy), cannot retreat.

Discuss. :devil
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Unread postby Chuckg » April 27th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Sadly, quantity has a quality all its own. Despite their respective differences in abilities, they're just too outnumbered.

It's not like the crapsack of this crapsack galaxy has a focal node you can just take out, and then the entire structure collapses. Its ubiquitous and multilayered. They are literally taking on the entire galaxy, and the Imperium of Man alone can lose entire planetary populations, in the billions, just in rounding errors.

Now, if you threw in something like the Culture, or another mature ultratech galactic civilization that in addition to ridiculous power edge also had ridiculous #'s to compete with, something fun might happen. Just make sure that they're also resistant, in one way or another, to Chaos corrupting their souls from the inside...
Chuckg

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » April 27th, 2011, 7:13 pm

No sentient being can resist chaos.

There are only degrees of denial.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Chuckg » April 27th, 2011, 8:12 pm

No sentient being can resist chaos.
The God-Emperor of Man would like a word with you. :P

So, for that matter, would the Tyranid, the Tau, the Necrons, the... you get the idea.
Chuckg

Unread postby Lightwhispers » April 27th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Not to mention that the Void Engineers are practiced at taking out Lovecraftian monstrosities on a par with Chaos, and have reality-shaping abilities such that, when they get set up, they can make it impossible for Chaos to exist in an area. Or, say, disallow the Orks' "technology" from working. As I see it, they can get a nearly-impenetrable defense, but yeah, they don't really have the numbers to deal with the Imperium. The best bet there might be to wake up the Emperor and divide the galaxy between them. (Yes, Sphere-magic in a Paradox-free 'verse is ridiculously broken.) :halo

The Necrons or the Tau would have the best chance of getting through defenses, since they don't use the Warp, but likewise, they are also vulnerable to relatively "precision" strikes. (Planet- to system- level annihilation.)
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Unread postby Chuckg » April 28th, 2011, 12:02 am

... egad, that is a viable strategy I had not considered. The Void Engineers do indeed have sufficient power to enter Sanctum Prime and rejuvenate the Emperor.

At which point, well, Chaos be fucked. :)
Chuckg

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 28th, 2011, 11:47 am

Methinks that rejuvenating the GEoM might actually make things bad for the Empire first, since he'd be doing a serious session of cleaning house after he woke up.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Chuckg » April 28th, 2011, 12:44 pm

"And lo, did the Engineers of the Void become beloved of the Emperor, returning from their eons-long sojourn away from Terra of the ancient past in time to restore the Emperor from the wounds inflicted upon him by Horus.

"And then they did replace the Adeptus Mechanicus in the eyes of the Emperor, having shown vastly greater abilities at commanding the Machine Spirits, and also being untainted by the C'Tan, who had one of their number slumbering bound within Mars. In a completely unrelated series of events, Mars had a very minor case of planetary vaporization.

"[redacted by order of the Ecclesiarchy] ... concluded the Imperium's internal reorganization."

"And then they all punched Chaos in the nadgers a lot, and lived happily ever after."
Chuckg

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 8th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Keep in mind that the GEoM put the Void Dragon on Mars for such a purpose, and it wasn't until the Adeptus Mechanicus broke in and screwed it all up that things started getting, iffy amongst them.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Return to “%s” Geek Culture