This is the Ultimate Showdown...

This is the Ultimate Showdown...

Unread postby spudman » December 10th, 2008, 12:01 am

of Ultimate Destiny!

*cough* *ahem* Anyway, this is supposed to be "geek culture" and no superfight/showdown thread? SHAME!

The rules are simple, I will start by listing a match. The next poster will state the likely winner of that match and provide a reason/explanation for the outcome. Then that poster can come up with their own match and it will fall to the next poster to provide the outcome...etc.

This can include fictional characters or real people (living or dead). After all, the Ultimate Showdown of internet fame included Jackie Chan, Shaq, and Abe Lincoln to name a few (not to mention the ultimate winner...). In fact, instead of some obvious match to start with I think I'll go with...

Teddy Roosevelt vs. Samuel Clemens.
spudman

Re: This is the Ultimate Showdown...

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 10th, 2008, 12:50 am

Teddy Roosevelt. The man led the Rough Riders after all.

Warcraft's Thrall vs a WarHammer Ork War Boss.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Kodra » December 11th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Thrall. Thrall is deadly fighter, as well as incredibly smart and a potent channeler of spirits. The Boss is a brutul fighter, but he needs his shaman friend to point him in the right direction. Thrall would out think him in a fight, and has the strength to survive in a one on one fight.

Lofwyr (SR) vs Tiamet (D&D)
Kodra

Unread postby Wittgen » December 12th, 2008, 4:27 am

I hesitate to answer this one since I am so unfamiliar with Shadowrun, but I did a little research before posting, so hopefully my opinion is not totally devoid of worth.

I say Tiamet. If this was a long standing rivalry or something, Lofwyr would leverage his wealth and influence to put Tiamet in a terrible position, but I assume we're talking a no holds barred straight up fight, and Tiamet has the whole five heads thing.

Plus, I assume she's totally hot. By dragon standards. It is hard to defeat that which you are gawking at, no?

The Animorphs vs. Tyranosaurus Reich
Wittgen

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 12th, 2008, 5:24 am

Animorphs, no question. While T. Reich may have size and ferocity over pretty much all of their forms, there are five of them and only one of him, which means they can tag-team him in shifts of two apiece, and what they lack in size they can make up for with mobility and adaptability. Plus I'm pretty sure that T. Reich still has a brain about the size of a football, which, when taken in context to his size, means he ain't that smart.

Han Solo vs Drizzt Do'Urden
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby viridian » December 12th, 2008, 8:07 am

I hesitate to answer this one since I am so unfamiliar with Shadowrun, but I did a little research before posting, so hopefully my opinion is not totally devoid of worth.

I say Tiamet. If this was a long standing rivalry or something, Lofwyr would leverage his wealth and influence to put Tiamet in a terrible position, but I assume we're talking a no holds barred straight up fight, and Tiamet has the whole five heads thing.

Plus, I assume she's totally hot. By dragon standards. It is hard to defeat that which you are gawking at, no?

I call Shenanigans... SR4 Great Dragons don't really have strong sexual drives. (They consider reproduction a sacred duty and a great responsibility though.) And Saeder-Krupp (the world's biggest Megacorp, owned by Lofwyr) has access to Nuclear Weapons, "Grey Goo" weaponized nanobots, and Thor Shots.

And they are not hesitant to use them. (Just ask the players in the Seattle Overdrive campaign!)

As far as the current fight?

Han Solo, of course. BECAUSE HE SHOT FIRST.

For the new one?

NoFP (merged) Harry Potter versus Team 8 Naruto?
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Kodra » December 12th, 2008, 9:49 am

Naruto. It would be a close thing though, and it depends on how well Harry manages to sneak around under his Invisibility Cloak. But Naruto has an army that he can surround himself with that can look for Harry, and if Harry tries to snipe him from afar well... spells don't travel as fast a ninja thrown shuriken even. I think Naruto could dodge. Once he did he'd have Harry dead to rights. Harry could try to disapparate, but he's not really tried that in his new body yet, and it's also supposedly very noisy.

The fact is that Ninja are alot more powerful than wizards in a straight up fight. Harry's only hope for survival would be assassination. How's that for an ironic twist.
Kodra

Unread postby Lightwhispers » December 12th, 2008, 10:39 am

For the new one?

NoFP (merged) Harry Potter versus Team 8 Naruto?
This is a tough one, because we don't really know merged-Harry's abilities in a fight. I assume that it's somewhat less than the original one who was able to take down 30 Death Eaters in a running battle, and take down Voldemort, simply because he's in a younger body. If he's got his broom and Invisibility Cloak, he can avoid losing, since he can escape pretty much at will, unless Naruto can hit him before he gets too far off the ground. If groundbound, I see it turning into a stealth battle if there isn't a quick KO. In a straight-up fight I'd say Naruto, because he's fast enough to avoid most spells, has Kage Bunshin to soak hits up and attack in the process. In a hunt-and-sneak, I think Harry has a slight edge, especially if he can use transfiguration/animation to his advantage.

Although I prefer the angle where they team up, and go wreak havok on the evil bastards in their respective governments. :devil

Next: Buffy vs Teal'c
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Unread postby Wittgen » December 12th, 2008, 11:10 am

I call Shenanigans... SR4 Great Dragons don't really have strong sexual drives. (They consider reproduction a sacred duty and a great responsibility though.) And Saeder-Krupp (the world's biggest Megacorp, owned by Lofwyr) has access to Nuclear Weapons, "Grey Goo" weaponized nanobots, and Thor Shots.

And they are not hesitant to use them. (Just ask the players in the Seattle Overdrive campaign!)
The hot by dragon standards thing was a joke. All the things you mentioned assume they're fighting in SR world. If it's neutral ground, I stand by Tiamet pulling ahead. I mean, five heads, divinity, it's kinda tough to top.

I agree with Kodra's analysis of Team 8 Naruto vs. NoFP Harry.

Buffy would kick Teal'c's gold stamped ass up and down the block. Teal'c served a "god" for a long period. Buffy served an honest to god god all kinds pain.

Besides that, Buffy doesn't lose. Period.

The Count of Monte Cristo vs. The Count (And I JUST realized that his name is a pun. Wow.)
Wittgen

Unread postby SLAMU » December 12th, 2008, 12:12 pm

I assume you are reffering to the Count of Seseame Street.
The Count de Monte Cristo would emerge victorious, but only after an exhasutive background check and researching the most painful way to ruin the Count of Seseame Street. "His degree is in Letters!!" :panic:
:mrgreen:
Grand Admiral Thrawn vs Lady Dame Admiral Honor Harrington, fleet engagement
SLAMU

Unread postby Phht » December 12th, 2008, 4:25 pm

No matter how awesome Thrawn is, I'd have to give this one to Dame Harrington.

Everything we've seen of Star Wars vessels have put them in what Honorverse vessels would consider point blank range. Like, closer than grav lance range and that's suicidally close for them. So Thrawn would have to close with Harrington while under fire the whole time. It's possible he could get fairly close if the engines for his ships don't register on the long range sensors of Harrington's fleet, but he'd still have a good distance to cover once spotted.

Of course, if they were both commanding fleets from the same universe (and had some time to adapt to the different vessels), I would put Thrawn in for the win. After he spends a week or two gazing upon the art of Manticore and its allies, of course.

Captain James T Kirk vs Captain Jack Harkness
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Darkandus » December 12th, 2008, 5:54 pm

Captain Jack Harkness, Sure Kirk has the knowledge to build a rudimentary cannon on the run and he's not to shabby in a brawl but Captain Jack can't die. While Captain Kirk can and has bit the proverbial bullet.

Kyuubi Naruto vs Superman.
Last edited by Darkandus on December 12th, 2008, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby SLAMU » December 12th, 2008, 6:23 pm

I gotta go with Superman. Kyuubi has ferocity and limitless chakra, an enormous killing intent and a healing factor that puts Logan to shame.
Kal'el has the power to make [things] up.
Batman vs Light "Kira" Yagami
SLAMU

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 12th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Kyuubi Naruto vs Superman.
Kyuubi Naruto. Superman would put up a damn good fight, but demons are generally steeped in magic, and magic is one of the main ways to hurt Superman outside of Kryptonite. Not to mention that they have different ways of fighting. Superman builds up the necessary force. Kyuubi Naruto is nothing but unnecessary force. Unless Superman immediately crushed Naruto's skull (something the boy in blue wouldn't do out of moral reasons), Naruto would get in a crippling blow first, and keep wearing Superman down with attack after attack. That's one of the main problems. Superman's villains always let him get his breath back while they're gloating, leading to their downfall. Kyuubi Naruto wouldn't stop attacking until Superman was a bloody smear on the pavement.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby DidelotM1 » December 12th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Dr.Doom vs. Batman - using all their gathered wealth/tech and information sources. they have one week to plan before the fated meeting.
DidelotM1

Unread postby spudman » December 13th, 2008, 12:06 am

Hmmm, let's try and watch out for posting a new match without answering an old one. We now have:

Batman vs. Light "Kira" Yagami
Batman vs. Dr. Doom

I give the first fight to Batman since he's better able to keep his emotions/ego in check and him being far more experienced than either Light or L.

As for the second fight, Batman has proven himself able to counter pretty much any super-power/magic/tech with time to plan (and not always needing that), hell it can be said for Doom as well. So this fight comes down to intellect/planning. This is a fight where it really could turn out either way. There's also the fact that whoever wins, the loser (or both of them for that matter) might have ended up ultimately benefiting anyway. So it really is too close to call a definate winner...but perhaps a "likely" winner can be speculated.

Doom could be considered equivalent in the mastermind department to Luthor, and since Batman has outwitted/beaten Luthor more than once if I recall...Batman seems the more likely winner. So I give it to Bats, but either way it would be spectacular.

For the next match....

Deathstroke vs. Deadpool The latter was a blatant ripoff of the former at first, but grew into a great character in his own right. But who would win?
Last edited by spudman on December 13th, 2008, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
spudman

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 13th, 2008, 12:10 am

I give this one to Deadpool. Deathstroke is a master planner and with his enhanced physical abilities has beating Batman in hand to hand, but Deadpool is so insane it doesn't matter. Deadpool is like the Joker. He is so insane it also affects his body language, making it so Deathstroke wouldn't be able to predict any of Deadpool's moves. Also, Deadpool would be able to fairly easily annoy Deathstroke into making a mistake.

Robin Hood versus Green Arrow.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Wittgen » December 13th, 2008, 5:31 am

Robin Hood. I love the Green Arrow, but in the end, he's just a pretender to Robin Hood's archery throne. Moreover, Green Arrow is rich, and the rich are basically Robin Hood's favored enemy.

Also, while the Black Canary is way more awesome than Maid Marian, the merry men are just so much better than Speedy that it evens out.

In honor of The Lie I've Lived's new chapter:
NoFP!Harry vs. The Lie I've Lived!Harry.

or in other words,
Merged with his future self!Harry vs. Merged with his dad!Harry
Wittgen

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 13th, 2008, 11:08 am

This is a tough one. It really depends on what kind of fight. If it's a proper duel, Lie!Harry would win. If it's a running battle to the death, NoFP!Harry. They have a different style of fighting, and Lie!Harry has a less lethal fighting style. So it really it depends on the limits involved in the fight.

In honor of the various psychological problems these two have, Dr. Phil versus Dr. Ruth.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Jamey » December 13th, 2008, 10:24 pm

This is a tough one. It really depends on what kind of fight. If it's a proper duel, Lie!Harry would win. If it's a running battle to the death, NoFP!Harry. They have a different style of fighting, and Lie!Harry has a less lethal fighting style. So it really it depends on the limits involved in the fight.

In honor of the various psychological problems these two have, Dr. Phil versus Dr. Ruth.

MrRigger
Dr. Ruth, hands down. Short little german woman? She'd *SOOO* kick his *bleep*, and then show him how to release some of that tension that makes him soooo ascerbic.

Asuka Soryu vs Haruno Sakura.
Jamey

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 13th, 2008, 10:37 pm

That depends on equipment. If Asuka has her EVA, things will be a bit lopsided, althouth not impossible for a post Tsunade trained Sakurato take down (her mentor took down Manda for god's sake!). But if Asuka is fighting fisticuffs, even a pre-Tsunade Sakura could probably kick her ass, especially if the German makes the mistake of insulting her looks.

Beast Wars Megatron vs G1 Megatron
Last edited by Tempest Kitsune on December 13th, 2008, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby DidelotM1 » December 13th, 2008, 10:49 pm

I give this one to G1 Megatron due to sheer viciousness and durability. He would be, I think, overpowered when it comes to planning and such. But I think G1 has the edge when it comes to a knock down drag out brawl.

Kyuubi Vs. Godzilla
DidelotM1

Unread postby KitS.AllGoode » December 14th, 2008, 12:20 am

Kyuubi, hands down. Gojira is Gojira, with an eviable win record vs. other giant monsters, but Kyuubi's tails swishing causes tsunamis and causes montains to crumble. And Zilla's hands aren't exactly made for forming the seals for Shiki Fuujin. (Though that would be pyhrric at best) Nor does it have the "spin, spin, I win" eyes.

Wolf Clan OmniMech Star vs equivalent tonnage of Imperial walkers (any type).
KitS.AllGoode

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 14th, 2008, 12:27 am

Wolf Clan mechs, all the way. Nothing the Empire has is either as mobile (AT-AT Walkers) or as heavily armed and armored (AT walkers), and neither is equally as adaptable.

Drizzt D' Urden vs Himura Kenshin, post Battousai
Last edited by Tempest Kitsune on December 14th, 2008, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby SLAMU » December 14th, 2008, 4:14 am

At what point; during the height of his assasin days or after he 'lost his edge'?
SLAMU

Return to “%s” Geek Culture