Comics

Comics

Unread postby Melverne » October 23rd, 2011, 7:45 pm

I want to talk comics. It doesn't matter what genre or which company. Right now I favor DC but at one time it was Marvel or nothing for me.

The new DC 52. Well somewhat new. They seem to be picking and choosing which story lines they are keeping.
As broken down by DC.
Superman Titles
1. Action by Grant Morrison: I liked it quite a bit. It was the best of the Superman titles to me.
2. Superman by George Perez was the runner up for me in the Superman titles.
3. Superboy by Scott Lobdell: Meh. The art is so so. The plot is so so. He background is more or less the same from pre 52 just not as well done. I have the first two issues. If the third doesn’t show an improvement I’m done with it.
4. Supergirl: Didn’t try it. Has anyone read this?
Batman (too many titles)
1. Batman by Scott Snyder: This is easily my favorite of the Bat Titles I have read.
2. Detective by Tony S Daniel:
3. Batwing by Judd Winick: I wasn’t a fan of this idea to begin with. When I saw the writer that killed it for me.
4. Batman The Dark Knight by Paul Jenkins: Art is good story is all right. Hoping for improvement.
5. Batman and Robin by Peter Tomasi: Like the writer like Batman but Damien? I just don’t like Damien as Robin or at all really. It surprises me that Bruce Wayne / Batman will harbor a killer. I’ll stick with it a little while longer but it is on the chopping block for my pull list.
6. Batgirl by Gail Simone: Writer for the Secret Six. One of the best pre 52 titles. You bet I’ll give it a try.
7. Batwoman J.H. WILLIAMS III and W. HADEN BLACKMAN: Didn’t read it. I heard it was a good title though. Anyone out there who read it and liked it.
8. Nightwing by Kyle Higgins: I like Nightwing (Dick Grayson). The art was good and there was plenty of action. The story was all right. Over all I liked it.
9. Catwoman by Judd Winick: I didn’t pick it up. Everyone I the comic shop I frequent either loved it or hated it and there were quite a few more haters. Plus I have a strong dislike of Judd Winick. Sorry, it’s just my opinion take it or leave it.
10. Birds of Prey by Duane Swierczynksi: Didn’t even try it. Oracle is gone so is my interest in the title.
11. Red Hood and the Outlaws by Scott Lobdell: AKA featuring Starfire’s um yeah… I am not a fan of Jason (didn’t we vote for him to die?) Todd. Scott Lobdell on two mediocre titles (Superboy and Teen Titans) seemed like over kill to me. If I’m wrong let me know.

I’ll post on Green Lantern and Justice League next time I post.

Best Fantasy for me was Conan. Dark Horse book written by Kurt Busiek. I bought every trade paper back and would recommend it to any fan of fantasy or Connan.

Image titles I consider must reads are Invincible and the Walking Dead (yes that Walking Dead from TV but much much better). Both titles are written by Robert Kirkman

The only Marvel comic I am reading now is Ultimate Spiderman by Michael Bendis. I have enjoyed every issue so far. I was a big fan of his first run when it was Peter Parker under the mask.

Any other opinions out there? Is there a good comic title that I am missing out on?

Melverne
Melverne

Re: Comics

Unread postby doc.exe » October 23rd, 2011, 11:49 pm

Mmmm... I have to admit I almost never read the actual comics from DC. I tend to keep more or less updated in certain properties (Batman most of the time) thanks to news sites and a few fansites, and I watch the movies and TV series (both animated and live action), but I almost never read the actual comics.

Most of the time, I only read old oneshots and miniseries that I know have been well reviewed (or a few times, when I'm looking for comics in a shop or newstand and the cover caught my attention). The last one I read was Batman: Black and White. It's excellent by the way, not only the concept of a black and white anthology is interesting, but the tales are really well narrated, quite varied, and they explore different aspects and facets of the character, sometimes in very imaginative ways.

And well, I'm not sure about the resurrection of Jason Todd. The only actual exposure I have had with his current incarnation is the "Under the Red Hood" movie. If his actual comicbook version is like that, I wouldn't have much problem with him being around.

When it comes to comics I have always been primarily a Marvel reader. Of course, most of their comics tend to come to my country with a year of separation, but I try to keep updated thanks to the Internet. Currently, I'm reading Amazing Spiderman, Ultimate Spiderman, Thor/Daredevil (their primary titles are published here in the same magazine, believe it or not), Captain America and Secret Avengers. I used to read the titles of Wolverine and the X-men, but I'm not too fond of the direction their series and some of the characters (coff... coff... Scott Summers... coff... coff...) have gone, so I dropped them. I wish Uncanny X-Force was published here though, I have heard it's an excellent comic, not to mention I recently managed to read the new Venom series by Rick Remender and I was quite impressed with his work. I would like to read more from him.

I have to say that I might drop many of this books in the future. I have to admit it: I'm not interested (for not saying "I'm actually a bit pissed off") at the direction Marvel is taking certain titles (translation: I hate the fact that they decided to kill Ultimate Peter Parker in what was clearly a gimmick directed at revitalizing the Ultimate line, I'm also not fond of the idea of killing off Thor and Bucky in the recent "Fear Itself" event... and let's better not talk at what they did with Daredevil in that awful piece of garbage called "Shadowland").
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Random_fan » October 24th, 2011, 5:50 am

I read mostly DC, honestly very little of Marvel interests me, and that which does has had some annoying decisions made, One more day, everything I've read about the X-men. Which is annoying as I love the movies and the T.V. shows, but that being said I love Deadpool and would recommend it to anyone.

I still hate that DC decided to reboot their universe, and a lot of the changes really haven't sold me on the idea but there's quite a lot of books I'm interested in so I'm giving it a shot for the couple of years it'll take for them to do it all over again. Before the reboot I loved Batgirl, and I really hope Steph shows up sooner rather than later, Gotham city sirens was incredibly fun and the idea was new, I have zero interest in what the three are doing in the reboot because it won't be close to this series.

I haven't gotten to read any of the new 52 yet as my comic book store sold out of most of the number one's I wanted, I hope to get them in December though.
Random_fan

Unread postby Wittgen » October 24th, 2011, 6:40 am

Have you read Astonishing X-Men? It's Whedon and Cassaday's X-men run. Pretty fantastic.
Wittgen

Unread postby Melverne » October 24th, 2011, 8:05 am

Have you read Astonishing X-Men? It's Whedon and Cassaday's X-men run. Pretty fantastic.
Yes I did. All in trade paper back. It was one of the best runs on the X-Men in a long time. It ranked up there with the Dark Phoenix issues for me.

Melverne
Melverne

Unread postby doc.exe » October 24th, 2011, 9:34 am

Mmmm... I remember dropping that one at the middle point more or less (after the part of the conspiration with the Hellfire Club and Cassandra Nova, I believe). I kept reading praises for it everywhere on the net, yet for some reason I was never impressed by it. It seemed just too derivative of everything that had came before, and neither as fun or interesting too me as other people painted it (then again, being perfectly fair, I have had the same reaction with almost everything else that has been produced by Joss Whedon, I'm not sure why. The recent Avengers trailer, for example, has not excited me for the movie even if I'm still planning to watch it).
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Return to “%s” Geek Culture