Kickstarter

Kickstarter

Unread postby Wittgen » April 19th, 2012, 12:27 am

I am sure many of you have already noticed, but kickstarter is kind of crazy right now. Sure, we're in the bubble stage, but the fact remains that many geeky daydreams are becoming reality because of this awesome website. I figured it would be nice if we had a thread here where people could share projects that look like it'd be a good idea to back. I assume this thread will also be a reasonable place to discuss things related to Kickstarter, such as the Double Fine documentary. (I assume I am not the only one here who backed that project. Right?)

The project that made me think of this forum was Shadowrun Returns. It's a 2D turn based tactical RPG, something you don't see a lot of these days, and the original creator of Shadowrun is leading the team. That seems promising.

I plan on backing Grim Dawn once I get off of work. I am not the biggest fan of ARPGs, but they can be fun. It's also a victorian setting that has been torn apart by otherworldly powers. I assume that means lovecraftian horrors. Awesome. The team is using the money not to build the whole game but merely to finish up a project they've been working on for a while already. Given that they've accomplished so much with little to no funding, I feel I can trust that they will accomplish their goals if given the money.

I am also thinking of backing Zpocalypse. It's a cooperative competitive zombie survival board game. It's already received awards and whatnot, so it looks to be quality. At this point, plopping down fifty five dollars is more like buying the game on sale than backing a project, and I have family for whom it would be a perfect gift.

So, has anybody else been using kickstarter, and if so, what have you been kickstarting?
Wittgen

Re: Kickstarter

Unread postby Lightwhispers » April 19th, 2012, 4:40 pm

A friend pointed me to Shadowrun Returns, which looked interesting enough to back, and I'm also backing the LORE: Uprising public beta test - it's at GenCon this summer, for a game system/universe that a friend of mine is helping develop.
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Re: Kickstarter

Unread postby Wittgen » September 14th, 2012, 11:23 pm

So. The people who made Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment are kickstarting a new isometric, party based RPG. This might be the most exciting kickstarter possible to me. The kickstarter page is here.
Wittgen

Return to “%s” Geek Culture