Avatar The Legend of Korra Discussion (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Re: Avatar The Legend of Korra Discussion (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Unread postby gamebrain89 » June 2nd, 2012, 12:34 pm

Oh god. Korra's latest reaction face. :rofl

Spoiler: show
Last edited by gamebrain89 on June 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Magnificate » June 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm

The moment Asami put on that glove she became, like, 20% cooler.
Magnificate

Unread postby gamebrain89 » June 2nd, 2012, 1:16 pm

Alright, finished the episode. Meelo proves to be a scary combination of adorable and creepy. Ikki is hilarious, but seems like every parent's nightmare as to what their child could be. No tact, no sense of when it miiight not be the best time to ask that particular question, and so energetically curious you can't help but laugh. At least she's genuinely curious. And her little back and forth with Bolin was great.

And yes, simply by pulling on that glove, Asami got cooler, and very effective. The high speed bending Car chase was freaking awesome.

Tarloc just jumped up to match Amon on the scumbag scale. He's everything the Equalists say benders are, and worse. I was thinking he might be a double agent for the equalists for a while or maybe even Amon himself, but now I don't think that's the case. Unless its all a massive Xanatos gambit where he started up the Equalists to give himself an excuse to git rid of nonbenders. There's some very unpleasant courses of actions being taken, and none of them are going to end well. The bloodbending popping up like that caught me by surprise. And freaked me out a bit. How the hell he's doing that without a full moon will be interesting to find out, along with where he is going to dump Korra. Though I'm sure once we get some more information on what exactly is going on in the snippets Korra is seeing, things will start falling in to place about Tarloc and his abilities.
gamebrain89

Unread postby Minion » June 2nd, 2012, 1:43 pm

A question I think I've had a few times throughout the original series and now this one: How can a firebender be subdued by ropes when they can emit fire from their entire body?

I really enjoyed this episode. Little moment where Asami looks in the mirror at Korra and Mako with critical eye was nice. And completely justifiable.

Yeah, gamebrain, that's exactly what Amon wants, someone like Tarlak to bully non-benders. He's definitely going too Nazi on the situation. And it appears that the man in the courtroom was a bloodbender as well, and used it on Sokka, Toph, and Aang. Of course, from earlier episodes, it looked like Aang bested him afterward, but the visions are probably related to the current mess, as Tenzin suggested.

But worse than Tarlak are the three spineless council members who never have original thoughts or anything to contribute other than raising their hands. Why are they even there?
Minion

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 3rd, 2012, 7:18 pm

This is a theory I found that I think holds a fair amount of water, but not completely. The part that I don't think fits is Katara coming to everyone's rescue after figuring out how to bloodbend anytime, because while Korra knows about bloodbending (which makes sense, even if she doesn't know how to do it herself (I don't think Katara would teach it to her yet)), she was still under the impression that it could be used only under the full moon, something that is clearly not true. If Katara knew how to bloodbend all the time, even if she didn't use it, and hasn't taught it to Korra, she'd still let Korra know that it isn't a once a month deal, just in case she comes across any evil waterbenders.

Yes, the other three council members have absolutely no character so far and exist only to agree with Tarrlok and screw over Tenzin. And while I could deal with them agreeing with him in other circumstances (I agree that creating the task force to deal with the Equalists is a good idea, though I wouldn't have given command of it to Tarrlok), I'm baffled by how they thought Tarrlok's most recent proposal was a good idea. Seriously, he's driving non-benders directly towards Amon and the Equalists. And Tarrlok is no fool, he knows what he's doing. I'm just not sure why (though it does lend credence to the idea that Tarrlok and Amon are working together/related).

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Minion » June 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I have a strong dislike for this unlimited bloodbending. At first I thought it was cool that Tarlok could do it without a full moon. Until he could use it on multiple opponents. And his father... controlled the entire courtroom without moving his damn body! It's more broken than any of the Sharingan's abilities.

And how was Aang not able to overcome it instantly, despite being the strongest bender (possibly the strongest waterbender even) on the planet? He can't control the water in his body more effectively than someone else, despite that Katara did the same thing against Hamma when she was fourteen?

And it seems Amon can bloodbend as well, given what was shown this episode, and the promos for next week. I had thought his blue eyes were important, but with the multiple ethnicities of Republic City, he could have been mainly fire nation.

By the way, great escape for Korra!
Minion

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 9th, 2012, 3:05 pm

I have a strong dislike for this unlimited bloodbending. At first I thought it was cool that Tarlok could do it without a full moon. Until he could use it on multiple opponents. And his father... controlled the entire courtroom without moving his damn body! It's more broken than any of the Sharingan's abilities.

And how was Aang not able to overcome it instantly, despite being the strongest bender (possibly the strongest waterbender even) on the planet? He can't control the water in his body more effectively than someone else, despite that Katara did the same thing against Hamma when she was fourteen?

And it seems Amon can bloodbend as well, given what was shown this episode, and the promos for next week. I had thought his blue eyes were important, but with the multiple ethnicities of Republic City, he could have been mainly fire nation.

By the way, great escape for Korra!
Aang was able to overcome it instantly ... once he tapped into the avatar state. Given that Sokka and the rest of them had to handwave it as 'special abilities' like the Combustion man in order to convict the guy, I'm willing to give this a pass.

I don't know if Amon can bloodbend, given that Aang was a dancing puppet until he went Avatar state, and that would mean that Amon's stronger than AANG. It could be that Amon's claim to having a spiritual mandate could be true ... or he's a zombie!
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Minion » June 9th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Aang was in the State when he caught up to what's his face. The same state he uses to raise an ocean to cleanse the land of fire. The same state Kyoshi used to create her island. And the guy still took him down. Aang had to go glowy eyes (for the second time) to beat him.

Also, this might be nitpicking, but how immobilizing him stop the bloodbending? He already showed that he didn't need to move... despite that waterbending is supposed to be useless without the arms.

Combustion Man actually had a weakness. I don't see any exploitable factor of unlimited bloodbending, other than Amon being, well, Amon.
Minion

Unread postby gamebrain89 » June 9th, 2012, 3:52 pm

So, there goes my pet theory out the window that Tarlok was Amon. But that's cool. It just means something different is going on.
Aang was in the State when he caught up to what's his face.
Actually he wasn't. It tapped in for a split second to wake him up and get him moving, then faded (No glowy, the sign he is in the Avatar State) until he tapped it again to break free and immobilize Yakone. Remember, Aang's probably really hesitant to use the Avatar State for anything but the most dire of situations. He doesn't like the choices all of his past lives try to make him take. But since he is in control of it, it makes sense for him to rely on his abilites unless there is no other choice. It woke him up, got him going, thats what he needed so he flipped it off. He caught up, got caught by the bloodbending, he flipped it on, immobilized him and then flipped it off before it could start trying to push him to do something he doesn't want to do.

Also, since there wasn't the same kind of light show when Aang took Yakone's bending as there was with Ozai, that seems a pretty strong indicator that that only happened with Ozai because he was a ridiculously powerful bender, being boosted by Sozin's Comet.

This leads me to believe that Amon is indeed using the same type of bending removal as Aang. Where he got that ability however, is the question. But I'm sure not all sources of that information are as...nice as the Lion Turtle was. I'm guessing Koh is involved some how. that seems like the most likely candidate at the moment, and it would make his "Spiritual Mandate" claims not technically untrue. He just doesn't say which spirit gave it to him. I bet this is somehow involved in how he fights off the Bloodbending too.

Also, in the little commercial for the season finale, we see Amon get his hands into position on Korra to take her bending. I predict this will end with Korra FINALLY tapping into the Avatar state, beating Amon like a drum, and then he'll escape some how.
gamebrain89

Unread postby Minion » June 9th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I consider Aang to have been in the State because his eyes glowed briefly before fading. That's the same thing Kiyoshi did when Chin's army came to her home. It's a sign of the Avatar having mastery over the State.

But even if Aang wasn't, Yakon's ability is totally broken. He controlled every person in the courtroom and wasn't even looking at most of them, including Aang. While handcuffed. Even using the State during Sozin's Comet, Aang had to move his limbs to perform the strongest firebending ever. Basically, against everyone else but a fully realized Avatar (and maybe Amon) Yakon is invincible, with no limitations, given it was daylight. None of the other elements have an ability like that, and they shouldn't.

I would have found it more believable if Yakon was only able to bloodbend one or two people, and took a hostage, probably Toph, who had the keys. That would have made Aang pause long enough for him to get his chariot and attempt an escape. Then the showdown could have gone about the same way.

What if it had been A FULL MOON!?

It broke my suspension of disbelief.

Also, the light thing with Ozai and Aang, I thought that was a symbolic representation of Aang's struggle. If it didn't show up with Yakon, who, from what I've seen, is WAAAY stronger than Ozai, I don't think it's something that physically happens. Maybe.
Minion

Unread postby gamebrain89 » June 9th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Eh, no more broken than Combustion Man was. The only reason that he was beaten was Sokka got really freaking lucky. Everything has a weakness, and so does this. Just because we haven't seen one yet doesn't mean there isn't one, and we have seen it, judging by the way Amon just shrugged it off. I think it's a bit early to start yelling "Broken!" anyway. We don't know how or why Yakone and Tarloc had this ability, or what it even is that lets them do it without a full moon. I say give it some time.

As for the movement thing. There is precedent for it. King Bumi could bend with nothing but his face for crying out loud. It's all about efficiency of movement and experimentation.
gamebrain89

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 10th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Oh, and I didn't really care for Mako or the romance related aspects of this episodes. I mean, really Mako?
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 10th, 2012, 7:13 pm

The guy's being kind of a tool.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 16th, 2012, 3:10 pm

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!

*lies down and dies*
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 16th, 2012, 4:02 pm

So many feelings brought up during today's episode. So many. No more Spider-Lin antics, but Dante Basco returning to voice Zuko's son (presumably that's how Iroh is related to him) is awesome. Now just to see if he lives up to his namesake, but I imagine he will. You don't get to be a General by being a pushover, and his "Tell her we'll be there in three days" line is a pretty blatant setup for a Big Damn Heroes moment.

MrRigger

EDIT: While Iroh could be Zuko's son, upon further reflection Iroh is more likely Zuko's grandson.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » June 17th, 2012, 4:14 am

Also, Mako's a dick. Jesus Christ dude.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 17th, 2012, 5:35 am

It's gonna take a helluva savings throw to save Mako's character from the douche pile he's in.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby gamebrain89 » June 17th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Mako's being a huge asshat. If I didn't already like Bolin more of the two, I definitely would now.
gamebrain89

Unread postby Arganaut » June 21st, 2012, 4:14 pm

Having now caught up with the episodes, I can talk about what I've felt to be the weirdness of the romance (which seems to be the subject we're grazing, with the talk of Mako). To me, it seems like all of them are a little too immature to be handling the sort of relationship stress they're trying to take on, and I think that it is actually a purposeful decision by the writers. Its a nice change of pace from the 'I'm a twelve year old, and I met my soul mate first second out of the ice berg' thing we got out of ATLA in my opinion, much more realistic and adult, with more adult consequences.

Really seems to be a thing with this show with how much more adult it is. Someone brought up how much smaller scale the bending was and, while I'll agree that its smaller scale, its only gotten more brutal.

I'm also extremely saddened by Lin's loss of bending. However, it also makes me curious as to just what happened when they were all younger. Tenzin still seems found of Lin, and his wife's advice to Korra has ended up sending the group spiraling, now twice, into near break ups (possibly a full break up thanks to Mako's dickishness) so methinks that 'we grew apart' might not be the full story at play.

Also, really gotta like Amon. He's not the evil Emperor, he has goals you can look at and at least understand, and even sympathize with, but he's still obviously the antagonist, still obviously deep in the wrong. He pursues his anti-bending crusade with all the energy of an S.S. Officer trying to round up his targets and his ultimate goal might just end up making the world terribly worse.

When everyone's equal, it'll mean everyone's equally able to kill and maim each other. War won't subside, it'll only get more brutal and more widespread as a specific warrior class is now no longer available to take the brunt of it.

Over all, really amazing series so far. A little too fast paced for my taste, but hey, nothing's perfect.

(As for Toph reappearing, I'd actually be interested if she had a solid plot role and not simply as a 'hey, we're showing off Toph for the sake of it' role. If only because I can only imagine the explanation for this:
)
Arganaut

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 21st, 2012, 6:06 pm

On the subject of the romance, I like that there's been some drama in there as well. Personally, I think it could have been handled as a little better, but sixteen year olds have relationship drama. It's what they do. I like that they included it. Bolin seems to have caught the short end of the stick, though. I like Bolin. I definitely prefer him to Mako, but that's just personal preference.

I wish the show had been running at a bit of a slower pace as well, but that's just because I want to see more of the world. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I want more filler.

Though considering the original plan was for LoK to be a six episode miniseries, it could be moving so much faster.

As for Toph, I'm imagining that they finally decided "You know, what, you're the strongest bender around apart from the Avatar, you make the rules. It's not like anybody can stop you."

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Arganaut » June 23rd, 2012, 12:17 pm

The finale wasn't great, let's start with that. By no stretch of the imagination was it bad, but it wasn't great. There have been worse finales. However, Korra sorta, kinda has an excuse. I've been getting the feeling that this show is a bit stuck with the pacing and intent of the original concept of the mini-series (four or six episodes I think the original was), although the further the show got away from its beginning and end the less that feeling was there.

Here in the finale, you can definitely see the stitches where the writers had to sew on the original mini-series concept to the elongated series idea. Hopefully, if more seasons of Korra are forthcoming, they'll be able to pace the series more like they did with A: TLA.

Also, I feel like the finale could've been improved if Korra had ended up activating the Avatar State as Amon was trying to take away her bending, rather than have us wait till the end. The shoehorning in of Aang and the other Avatars through the 'lowest point' idea is a bit less palatable, in my opinion, than the Avatar State's defense mechanism nature. I know Korra wasn't supposed to have a good spiritual connection, but I figured that would do more harm to her ability to contact her previous lives and the Spirit World, not inhibit her from using what's supposed to be the Avatar's life saving function.

Aside from that, I actually rather liked what they did with the finale. Aside from a couple cases of the idiot ball being tossed around ("Why are there fenceposts with no fences" will probably go down in this fandom's history as the single derpy-est line ever uttered by a character), it was well constructed and fun. I hadn't considered the idea that Amon himself was a Bloodbender, but when it was revealed I was actually able to buy it. I will say that I also enjoyed watching Amon get blown the hell up, even if we were far back when it happened.

So yeah, here's hoping another Book comes out, and that the next one'll be better paced.
Arganaut

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 23rd, 2012, 12:43 pm

I want to know how the hell they got away with a Murder/Suicide on Nick. Korra is billed as a kids show on a kids network, how the hell did that get past the censors?

If we go with the "lowest point" explanation, it works. For Aang, his lowest point was always in a fight (except when he found Gyatso's body, which is most certainly another "lowest point"). Aang's lowest point, mentally, was "I need to hurt people to survive, but that goes against everything I've been taught." That's why it expressed itself during fights, and expressed itself with uncontrolled destruction. Korra, on the other hand, has destruction and fights down pat. She is a fighter, and even in a losing fight, she's not at her lowest point, because she can keep fighting. Korra's lowest point is when she has no control over a situation, when there is nothing she can do about a situation. Her lowest point is "Bad Things have happened to you, and there is *nothing* you can do about it." That's why she was able to contact Aang during her captivity and why she was able to contact the Avatar State during the finale and have Aang restore her bending. Aang's connection manifested as "We've got this fight." Korra's connection manifested as "You Are Not Alone."

As for another Book, we do have confirmation that there will be a 14 episode second season, but we don't have a name for the book, or air dates. It'll come in time. I'm thinking next spring, which will give them plenty of time to work out the pacing problems that this season has had.

For personal reactions, I just want to say that I loved that the Lieutenant stuck by his guns, and attacked Amon when he learned the truth. He's got integrity. Not that it helped him a whole lot, but it was good to see.

I also really liked that they didn't have Asami go back to her father due to romantic problems with Mako. That would have been a major problem with me. She wasn't being led around by the affections of a cute guy, that didn't determine her loyalties, it was really nice to see. I know there were a lot of people on the internet predicting a switch on her part, I'm glad it didn't happen.

I can totally believe Mako is a teenage boy, because he has to have the worst romantic timing ever. Can't say I liked Korra deciding "Now that I have my bending back, we can make out!" any better, but Mike and Bryan are trolls anyways, and if it had been the original mini-series, I think it would have been a lot better. At least, I hope so.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Minion » June 23rd, 2012, 1:01 pm

Yeah, the timing of the romance was... strange. But Korra didn't have that whole, "I'm a failure as an Avatar" thing going on anymore. Plus, they are teenagers...

It needs to be explained why Korra couldn't airbend and why her connection was so weak. Also, how bloodbending can remove bending. I already didn't like how broken it was, but this is just insanity.

Yeah, murder/suicide, and Amon being okay with it. Wow. That was amazing. I never saw the movie, but it's like that scene where the two guys are on a boat, camera cuts away, gunshot, then there's one guy on the boat. Except this involved an explosion. And twice the gruesome deaths. I approve.

Also, called Amon as a bloodbender! :dance But I didn't think he was Tarrlok's brother. Tarrlok turned out not to be a completely horrible person and could have turned out worse, considering his origin. And Amon was pretty tragic, a very self-loathing guy.

Though how the hell did Yahkone escape prison? Maybe the security wasn't very high since he had his bending taken away.
Minion

Unread postby Arganaut » June 23rd, 2012, 1:08 pm

For the murder/suicide, I'd be less surprised about how they got away with that, and more surprised with the dozens of other near on-screen deaths of mooks. Seriously, TLA could deny people dieing cause of Aang or the rest of the GAang, but that went out the window here. People were getting blown up!

Also, yes, awkward romantic pacing is awkward. And I don't think the mini-series would've done it better (then again, the mini-series might not have done it at all).
Arganaut

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 23rd, 2012, 1:23 pm

It needs to be explained why Korra couldn't airbend and why her connection was so weak. Also, how bloodbending can remove bending. I already didn't like how broken it was, but this is just insanity.
Korra couldn't airbend because her spiritual side of things was so weak. Her spiritual side was weak because the other three elements came so naturally that she never had to understand the spiritual side of those styles to get them.

Bloodbending forces the body to work against itself, and the ultimate expression of that is blocking the bending ability. It could be that Amon is forcing the body to chi-block itself.
Yeah, murder/suicide, and Amon being okay with it. Wow. That was amazing. I never saw the movie, but it's like that scene where the two guys are on a boat, camera cuts away, gunshot, then there's one guy on the boat. Except this involved an explosion. And twice the gruesome deaths. I approve.
Amon was the murder side of the equation, not the suicide. He didn't know that Tarrlok was going to blow up the boat. Tarrlok did it because after his bending was taken away, he realized that he and Amon were nothing but tools for revenge, and he knew that Yakone wasn't able to overcome that when he started over. Rather than perpetuate the cycle another generation, Tarrlok killed himself and Amon. Of course, we didn't see the bodies, so they could very well be alive. Doubtful, though.
Though how the hell did Yahkone escape prison? Maybe the security wasn't very high since he had his bending taken away.
That's a possibility, but also recall that Yakone was in charge of all the organized crime in the city. Even if he lost his power base by going into prison, that still implies a lot of money, and money equals power. Present Day Gang leaders are still able to organize their gangs from inside prison, I doubt Yakone would have issue doing the same.
Also, yes, awkward romantic pacing is awkward. And I don't think the mini-series would've done it better (then again, the mini-series might not have done it at all).
I think the Asami plotline would have been cut, or at least the Romantic Asami plotline. Which would have made things work a bit better. Given six episodes, I think all of them would have had Korra and Mako's relationship growing, culminating in the kiss at the end, rather than what happened here, with the triangles of Bolin/Korra/Mako and Asami/Mako/Korra.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Return to “%s” Geek Culture