Avatar The Legend of Korra Discussion (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Re: Avatar The Legend of Korra Discussion (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Unread postby Wittgen » April 26th, 2012, 7:42 pm

ewuvi, I totally agree that the new series is about these new characters and they are what matter more. That is not to say that I would be displeased if season two was metal and Korra learned from Toph. Introducing Toph in season two is a proven formula for greatness.
Wittgen

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 10:57 pm

If Toph were to come into the story in such a way, that would be awesome. If she doesn't, though, I won't be disappointed either.
ewuvi

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 26th, 2012, 10:58 pm

I'm sure any relevant information about the Gaang will show up when it's needed, but it's not needed right now. It's three episodes in. We know Zuko is alive from outside information that they have kindly provided about the world, but to be honest, I think crowing about how we want to see the old characters in a show that is not at all about them is sort of absurd.

Legend of Korra
is about Korra, and what happening in the world after the war. When and if Toph becomes relevant, she'll show up or be mentioned. In fact, she has. Her relevance has been shown by her daughter being the head of police that use her bending style. Toph has impacted the city. But it's three episodes in. Right now Toph doesn't matter; Korra figuring out what to do about the Equalists does.

At this point, Toph showing up would be for the sole reason of having Toph show up. There has been no call for it plot-wise.
Honestly, I have to disagree. There are plenty of good reasons for whatever remains of the Gaang to show up. For one, Korra is still learning. Katara has already been established as being close to Korra, which is kind of mirroring Roku/Aang and Gyatso's relationship. These are the people the previous Avatar was closest to. Who better to learn about him from, and learn what it means to be the Avatar from? Also, Toph freaking created Metalbending. Korra is an earthbender, who loves bending. I'm betting, given the opportunity, she would JUMP at the chance to talk to/learn from Toph.

Also, these people have first hand knowledge of Aang's ability to Energybend. That just became incredibly important and relevant. So while I do agree that them showing up immediately within the next episode or two is unlikely, if it does happen, I won't bat an eye.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 11:14 pm

I'm not saying that they shouldn't show up, and I'm sure the surviving members will make brief, cameo appearances, but I also doubt they'll have significant roles. This is about Korra navigating the world that was left to her by the old generation, and having to reconcile the old ways with this budding new industrial society.

In the end it's going to be about what Korra and her new young allies make of it, not what some old dudes are up to in the background. Sure they might support her and mentor her, but I doubt they'll have much more in the way of screen-time or significance than, say, Bumi or Pakku did in the original. (Which, you know, Bumi and Pakku were very important, they were seen, but they weren't main characters).

I expect that the writing staff is smart and creative enough not to just go back to old characters. Sure they'll be there, as a part of history and maybe even in secondary roles within the show itself, but...well... they're building a dynamic, new world with new characters. If they wanted to make A:TLA All Grown Up, they would have. And I find this exciting, frankly. Far more exciting than just dragging out the story of people whose story has already been told.
ewuvi

Unread postby Minion » April 28th, 2012, 5:15 pm

I would like to see Korra possessed by Aang at least once. Aang was possessed like five times, two of which were by previous Avatars Roku and Kiyoshi.

And Azula should also be alive, or at least could have lived to old age. But she is dead... I'm wagering on suicide.

We got to see Adult Aang, Sokka, and Toph. When Korra was struck by Amon's chi strike, did he clear a bit of her spiritual blockage? Seeing things from Aang's life?
Minion

Unread postby Magnificate » April 28th, 2012, 5:20 pm

And so the villain strikes fear in the heart of the hero! (Thought I assume the villain will regret not doing more to her by the end of the story.)
Magnificate

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 28th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Yeah, we see Adult versions of Sokka, Toph, and Aang, and a brief partial shot of a man I'm guessing to be Yukone, the man who threatened Republic City forty-two years previous, but that's just a guess on my part.

Seeing Korra possessed by previous Avatars definitely has the potential to be interesting. It would obviously have to be a major threat, as Korra seems much more confident in her personal strength than Aang was, so I think she'd be slower to reach for the Avatar State. However, it may not be an entirely positive thing. Going into the Avatar State/being possessed by previous Avatars generally means the local geography is about to change. Swinging that much power around may be ultimately detrimental to Republic City.

Even if the public reason ends up being suicide (which I'm not sure of, that's a heavy subject for Nick to allow into a show), I'd be skeptical of that. Azula made a lot of enemies while she was in power, assassination/vengeance is a real possibility.

And yeah, Steve Blum is doing an amazing job as Amon. Dude gives me chills. Better villain than Ozai, IMO.

Also, the background music and announcers create a perfect roaring 20s feel for the show, and I think it's great.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Minion » April 28th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Even if the public reason ends up being suicide (which I'm not sure of, that's a heavy subject for Nick to allow into a show), I'd be skeptical of that. Azula made a lot of enemies while she was in power, assassination/vengeance is a real possibility.MrRigger
Absolutely someone would try to kill Azula. (Which would make her statement during her reign as Fire Lord very ironic). But if they succeeded, that seems like it would be a huge failure for the Gaang, Aang in particular, with his message of not needing to take a life and all. Azula was their responsibility, her restraint and her safety.

I picture it as more, Aang took her firebending away, and she kills herself in shame. Or he took it away, and that significantly reduced her lifespan.

Also, was it ever stated that Tenzin's siblings were non-benders, or just that he was the only airbender of the lot?
Minion

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 28th, 2012, 8:13 pm

It's never explicitly stated, but the way Katara phrases it makes me 95% sure that Kya and Bumi were airbenders, or at least benders of some sort. Tenzin's wife asks if his siblings were as crazy as her children, and Katara says that Tenzin was always the serious one.

As for holding Azula/failure to stop assassins from getting at her, I think that would reflect more on Zuko and the Fire Nation than the Gaang. If Ozai is being held in a Fire Nation prison, Azula would be too. Also, we know that assassins are able to get past certain lines of defense. In the canonical comic The Promise, we find out that in the year after Zuko takes the throne, he has to deal with six assassination attempts. So if assassins can get to Zuko, the Fire Lord, one of the most highly protected people in the world, they can get at Azula.

I'm also not sure if Aang would take away her bending. Avatarwiki doesn't say anything about it, only that Azula was transferred to a mental health facility in the Fire Nation and closely monitored, and that she passed away sometime before 170 ASC. It's possible that he took her bending away, but I think Aang would have wanted to keep that in reserve as a last resort. If Azula could be held without him taking away her bending, I think he'd let her keep it.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Minion » April 28th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Coincidentally enough, I was just reading about The Promise. I'll have to concede the point. But if no one went after Ozai, I doubt anyone went after Azula. But it's certain she died of unnatural causes.

I like Amon. Or at least his goal... No, I think he's awesome. His grievances seem legitimate to me. I'd follow him were I a non-bender.
Minion

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 28th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Amon is really a great villain. He's got loads of charisma, a great voice (as to be expected of Steve Blum), and genuine grievances (or he wouldn't have so many followers).

There's apparently no non-benders represented on the City Council (Tenzin, Tarrlok, and representatives from the Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Southern Water Tribe, all confirmed to be benders on Avatar Wiki). The police force all seem to be metalbenders, and if they aren't, the visible portion of them are. There's also a number of bender-controlled gangs running rampant throughout the city. Besides the Triple Threats, there are the Red Monsoons and Agni Kais that we know of, and the City apparently can't do anything about them, but can launch assaults against hidden Equalist bases at a moment's notice.

Now, I can't agree with his methods. Terror and ripping out bender's abilities are not acceptable. The Avatar world needs benders if they want to keep going the way they are, as seen by the power plant's use of firebenders to generate lightning for electrical current.

But yes, he's definitely a great villain, and I want to see more of him.

And in response to your thought on Amon clearing some of Korra's spiritual blockage with his strike at the end of the episode, I disagree, because I've found another theory I like a little more. Aang spoke with Roku for the first time at Roku's temple (or the spiritual equivalent in the Spirit World), so Korra's vision could have been Aang contacting her, since she was at his memorial island.

Another theory I just recently saw is this one.
Spoiler: show
It could be coincidence, but I'm not so sure. I'm also fairly sure that if Korra's mastery of the Avatar State (and not just all four elements) comes up, it will take her a lot longer to clear her chakras than it did Aang.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby ewuvi » April 28th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Kya and Bumo are a waterbender and a non-bender respectively. Tenzin was the only airbender that Katara and Aang had.
ewuvi

Unread postby Minion » April 29th, 2012, 12:47 am

And in response to your thought on Amon clearing some of Korra's spiritual blockage with his strike at the end of the episode, I disagree, because I've found another theory I like a little more. Aang spoke with Roku for the first time at Roku's temple (or the spiritual equivalent in the Spirit World), so Korra's vision could have been Aang contacting her, since she was at his memorial island.

Another theory I just recently saw is this one.
It could be coincidence, but I'm not so sure. I'm also fairly sure that if Korra's mastery of the Avatar State (and not just all four elements) comes up, it will take her a lot longer to clear her chakras than it did Aang.

MrRigger
Wow, I like that one a lot.

The only problem I see with this theory is that Korra had the visions before she admitted her fear, which Tenzin says is the first step. I'm open to the idea that the visions aren't connected to the chakras in this instance.

Really, everything came frighteningly easy to Aang. I'd say he was the strongest bender ever born, even among the Avatars. Yeah he couldn't lightning bend but neither could Zhao, and he was a master. So while Korra realized at a young age, in this multicultural world, that she was the Avatar, I don't think her progress should be compared to Aang's, who had all the talent in the world, but was hesitant to use it.

That's another difference between them. Aang never wanted to be the Avatar, Korra can't identify herself as anything else, because it's the only identity she's ever had.
Minion

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 29th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Lightning bending is more about state of mind anyway. Zuko couldn't come up with the inner peace and lack of turmoil needed to do it when Iroh was trying to teach him. Aang, I don't recall if he ever even tried, since Zuko couldn't teach him how to do it, but he was always kind of flighty and emotional. But from what I've seen so far there hasn't been anything that says they never learned how to do it later on in life.
gamebrain89

Unread postby Minion » April 30th, 2012, 12:13 am

Actually, Aang was very good at centering himself, probably the best due to his upbringing as a monk. Lightning wouldn't have been a problem for him to produce. Or at least the state of mind would be easy for him. It's kind of like the Avatar State, which he mastered.
Minion

Unread postby Greybane » May 1st, 2012, 4:36 pm

Yeah, I am with Minion on this, Aang, given his natural talent and practice at centering himself (look at how fast he was able to unleash his chakras!) would let him be very talented at lightning. If he could get over his 'no killing' and 'having been almost killed by lightning himself' issues.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Minion » May 6th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Wow. If there was any doubt that Bolin is the comic relief of the show, it should be gone now. His reaction was the funniest thing I've seen on television in a long time. I love how they did a fake out to make it seem as though it was going to be a dramatic moment like when Aang realized Appa was taken. Then girly run.

I just realized something. Tenzin said probending was a mockery to the tradition of bending. But airbenders played the only official sport we had seen of the four nations, airball, introduced in episode 3. Does he not know about that game? Maybe Aang forced him to play it a lot as a kid and he didn't enjoy it...
Minion

Unread postby Minion » May 12th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Uh... I was the only one that saw the last two episodes?

I had guessed that Tenzin and Lin were previously involved the first time I saw them interact. At least they can work together, unlike some exs. And She seems to have warmed up to Korra.

So this new technology, taser gloves. Pretty cool.

I have to wonder something else: who has been brainwashed? Because I'm sure that's something Amon would like to do, and it was implemented seventy years ago. I think he's brainwashed someone key, someone that wouldn't be suspected. Maybe he brainwashed the ref, 'cause that game was rigged!
Minion

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 13th, 2012, 1:30 am

Brainwashing wouldn't be necessary, money can do it just fine. I do think Amon was the one who paid the ref off (or one of his proxies, more likely), because he knew the Wolf Bats would try to cheat to win, and when they got away with it, they would get worse, until they're using the tactics we see in the last round. He then turns around and uses them as the perfect example of bullying benders, proving that benders can get away with anything, cheerfully ignoring the fact that he was the one who made sure they were able to get away with it in the first place, and that the announcer, at least, was against them for their tactics.

Speaking of, I love the announcer.

Also, the fight scene from the latest episode made me think. While Toph was the creator of metalbending, I think Lin was the one who created the style the police use. Lin is pretty clearly a master at using them, comfortable using them in pretty sketchy ways, ways that only someone intimately familiar with the art would be willing to try (like spearing one through a banner as an anchor and shooting another through a cloud of smoke to save a falling person while being completely confident you aren't going to instead stab them through the stomach). Now, one of the major uses we've seen for this style of metalbending is getting off the ground, giving you incredibly heightened mobility. Given that every time we see Toph riding Appa, she's clutching the side of the saddle, and getting seasick during the boat ride into the Fire Nation, and that she can only see when in contact with the earth (or when in a completely metal enclosure, like the box her kidnappers put her in, or the Fire Nation blimp), getting *off* the ground is not one of Toph's goals when she's bending. She wants to stay on the ground whenever she can.

Lin, on the other hand, isn't limited to earthsight (though if Toph didn't drill the use of it into her skull by the time she was a teenager, I'd be flabbergasted). And being childhood friends and sweethearts with an airbender, being able to get off the ground and follow him around when he starts flying about would probably be high on her priority list. She doesn't seem to be the type of person who would take well to being left behind. So she developed the style of metalbending the cables to allow her to keep up with Tenzin (and maybe let her get away from her mother from time to time (I'm not saying Toph was a bad mother, but I bet she was tough to deal with from time to time)).

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » May 13th, 2012, 3:12 am

I'm of the opinion that Tahno and his wolfbat teammates bribed the ref themselves. The wolfbats put on an expensive light show complete with goddamn costumes. That reeks of money, especially with the show comparing it to Bolin's cute but pitiful in comparison fire ferret circus act. Tahno also spoke to the ref with a strong familiarity. They've also been, what doing this for four years? That's an impractical amount of money to spend on a ref in order to make a possibly winning team unscrupulous. I bet the wolfbats just bribe the ref for matches they're uncertain about which explains the surprised crowd reaction.

Interesting theory about the earthbending MrRigger. Though I'm mostly rooting for a Lin and Korra team up where they fight crime.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby gamebrain89 » May 20th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Well, with the new episode. While I am as impressed by Mechs as the next guy, I have to wonder...How the heck did they find that much platinum? I mean, in RL the average abundance of it is 5 micrograms per kilogram. And to get enough to make every single one of those out of nothing but platinum? Yikes. I know Sato is supposed to be the Bill Gates of the Avatar world, but that much Platinum has to have been ridiculously expensive. I'm sure it could just be handwaved as being much more common in the Avatar world, but since nothing was mentioned about it...*Shrugs*

Seeing Tanoh did a pretty good job of driving home what kind of horror Amon is inflicting on Benders. It's supposed to be a gift from the spirits. A part of their very being. And he's just chopping it off. He'd be a nicer guy if he just chopped an arm or a leg off. Thats physical. What he is doing, is so much worse. If I was Joe Everybender in Republic City right now? I hate to admit it, but I'd be absolutely freaking the hell out.

I really didn't expect Sato to be an Equalist. And after the last minute or so of the episode, now I have images of Lin dressed up as a bat, skulking around Republic City and dishing out her own brand of justice.
gamebrain89

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » May 21st, 2012, 10:23 pm

Well I would imagine with earth-benders that mining for certain types of materials is relatively easy compared to our methods, even more so when you have metal-benders who could feel for it with earth-sight.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby MEKristian » May 21st, 2012, 10:41 pm

Even with that, odds are the Avatar world just has higher concentrations of Platinum than ours.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Arganaut » May 26th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Haven't seen the series yet, didn't read this thread to keep myself spoiler free, waiting till Netflix/marathon to catch up.

But, of course, I do keep an eye on the meme-verse. So I'm just gonna drop off these little numbers here. Amonymous was a good start, but this one has some real exploitable potential.
Arganaut

Unread postby Farmer_10 » May 31st, 2012, 7:46 pm

http://xkcd.com/965/

I should make some time to read this comic more thoroughly.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Return to “%s” Geek Culture