Avatar The Legend of Korra Discussion (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Avatar The Legend of Korra Discussion (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 21st, 2012, 3:37 pm

So, we are three episodes in and I figured a discussion thread was warranted.

After watching the first handful of episodes, I must say they have caught my attention. So far the world is really interesting, and I'm looking forward to learning more about how much the world is changed since The Last Airbender. Republic City is definitely an interesting backdrop for the new series. It's a very different tone and feel than the TLA, a City of Adventure instead of the much bigger area that the first series spanned.

The 1 hour premier did a good job of introducing what has changed, the new characters, and setting the stage for the future. I really wasn't surprised by the tease put out in the first 10-15 minutes by Tenzin's daughters about what happened with Zuko's mother. I really enjoyed the setup with the Pro-bending. Its like dodgeball on steroids with fire and hunks of rock.

Korra is a much different temperment than Aang was, and I like that she is more of a "Charge it head on and set it on fire" type of character. Her animal companion Naga is really cool, and has as much of a personality as Appa did so far.

All the chibi-airbenders are hilarious and adorable, and Tenzin has some awesome reaction faces.

On to Maako and Bo-Lin, I love that particular set up. Two different types of benders being family gives us a bit of a hint about what life in the colonies was like. Now, as we have yet to know if they are actually blood related or something else, like stepbrothers, we can't say for sure. But I like the idea of a mixed blooded family producing multiple types of benders, depending on whatever side spiritually their personality favors more.

So far they are both keeping me interested. Hopefully Maako will start thawing out a little bit as the series progresses. Bo-Lin is well on his way to being the comic relief ala Sokka, and of the two is probably my favorite so far.

As for todays episode. Holy crap. With the Chi-Blockers running around at the beck and call of the BBEG, I expected something like taking away bending from people, but as for the how...I'm not so sure. I really doubt it's the Energy-Bending thing like what Aang did to Ozai. For one, when he did it he wasn't touching the same places as what Aang did on the targets, and there wasn't the same Glow Tug-of-War. There didn't seem to be any sign of a struggle from the benders that Amaan used to demonstrate, where It took Aang a decent chunk of time to zap Ozai's powers, and he almost didn't succeed. Now, that could have something to do with the Comet affecting Firebenders, and Ozai being a particularly powerful one as well. But Zolt, the firebender he used, was good enough that he could pull off lightning-bending. I doubt that's something we will get a concrete answer about then. But I will say they have gotten my attention and curiosity about what is going on here. Whether Amaan really does have a spirit's backing or if he simply stumbled onto something else entirely, will be interesting to see.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Re: Avatar The Legend of Korra Discussion (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Unread postby Minion » April 21st, 2012, 5:28 pm

It's awesome. Though is seems like bending has gotten weaker/less effective over time... which would make sense as it is no longer used for life-or-death battles everyday. The story is unfolding at a brisk pace.

Could Amon being spiritually attuned be related to Korra being spiritually deaf?
Minion

Unread postby Magnificate » April 21st, 2012, 5:39 pm

It's awesome. Though is seems like bending has gotten weaker/less effective over time... which would make sense as it is no longer used for life-or-death battles everyday.
On the other hand it is used for some industrial applications and once unique bending types are becoming common. I approve.

I like the main character. Not so much the two pro-benders, perhaps due to their appearance being sort of bland.
Magnificate

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 21st, 2012, 5:45 pm

It's awesome. Though is seems like bending has gotten weaker/less effective over time... which would make sense as it is no longer used for life-or-death battles everyday. The story is unfolding at a brisk pace.

Could Amon being spiritually attuned be related to Korra being spiritually deaf?

So he claims. Until and unless I see more evidence to the contrary, I'm holding that whole "The Spirits have spoken to me" thing as propaganda.
gamebrain89

Unread postby MEKristian » April 21st, 2012, 6:19 pm

*waits to see if the episode will be put up on Nick's site*

Oh never change Nickelodeon Canada...
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » April 21st, 2012, 8:06 pm

Amon's pretty freaking smart. This is going to cause revolts and I suspect if nothing's done to alleviate resentment, outright fighting in the city. Definite chinese communist revolution stuff here. Looking forward to Korra realizing this isn't just a physical battle, it's also a battle of words Amon is waging.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Minion » April 21st, 2012, 8:26 pm

So he claims. Until and unless I see more evidence to the contrary, I'm holding that whole "The Spirits have spoken to me" thing as propaganda.
If that was an act, then I bought it hook, line, and sinker. I'm convinced that he used energy bending (even if there wasn't a lot of glowing like with Aang vs Ozai; that was probably a representation of his struggle over the series). And that could only be learned from a spirit, and should be the available only to the Avatar. He probably has some spiritual awareness.

Though maybe those spirits aren't benevolent.
On the other hand it is used for some industrial applications and once unique bending types are becoming common. I approve.
That part was great. I actually had the idea of lightning being used for that in a fic for the original series, so I was happy to see it. I wonder if Aang made it common, or did Zuko?
Last edited by Minion on April 21st, 2012, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minion

Unread postby ewuvi » April 21st, 2012, 8:30 pm

Yeah, LoG, LoK is gonna be a lot more political I think. It'll be more than just 'defeat the evil emperor and put his less psychotic child on the throne'. Not that that was easy, but Korra's going to have to change the hearts and minds of a lot of people. Just getting rid of Amon won't be enough.
ewuvi

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » April 21st, 2012, 9:00 pm

The 'spirits spoke to me' thing was very Divine Mandate from Heaven stuff that was common place in Korean and Chinese Royalty stuff.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 21st, 2012, 10:25 pm

I don't have any problem believing that the spirits did speak to Amon. However, Amon very dutifully did not say *which* spirits spoke to him. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the spirit that spoke to Amon was Koh the Face-Stealer. The mask Amon wears also leads me to think Koh is involved with Amon. Amon either wears it to ensure his face isn't stolen by Koh, or his face already was stolen and the mask hides that fact. Personally, I'm not sure how truthful the "Firebender took my face" story is.

And Gamebrain, while Zolt was good enough to bend lightning, so is Mako and a handful of nameless extras seen in the power plant. So I'm not sure what's going on there. Perhaps they've figured out a better way of teaching Lightning Bending to make it so people other than the best Firebenders in the world can use it.

Korra has a different fight on her hands than Aang did, but that's supposed to be intentional. According to the creators, Korra is Aang's opposite in pretty much every way possible. Where he was reluctant to be the Avatar, she was introduced by saying "I'm the Avatar, deal with it!" Aang was the youngest Airbending Master ever, Korra can't wrap her head around it. ATLA was Walking the Earth, LoK is in a City of Adventure. ATLA was dealing with a century long war, LoK is dealing with an isolated rebellion in a world at peace. You get the idea.

One thing I've noticed about LoK is that there isn't much in the way of Big Bending like there was in ATLA. There aren't massive waves of water, enormous fireballs, or rockalanches. Everything's a lot smaller in scale and more tightly controlled, and I think I've figured out why. In ATLA, the world was at war. Destruction was the norm, and when people fought, it was for keeps. Furthermore, the protagonists were always on the move. They didn't have to deal with the consequences of major bending. In LoK, however, we're sticking in one place. The world has been at peace for decades. Destructive bending is no longer an everyday occurrence, and anything that can't be easily repaired will cause major trouble for Republic City. All this adds up to why we're aren't seeing earthbenders throw up major earth walls and why firebenders aren't using anything more than small fireballs (compared to some of the things Zuko and Azula threw at Aang). It isn't an immediately obvious thing, but it's a nice touch that shows how much thought the creators are putting into this show.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 21st, 2012, 10:46 pm

And Gamebrain, while Zolt was good enough to bend lightning, so is Mako and a handful of nameless extras seen in the power plant. So I'm not sure what's going on there. Perhaps they've figured out a better way of teaching Lightning Bending to make it so people other than the best Firebenders in the world can use it.

MrRigger

Ah, but Mako and those extras weren't creating the lightning. They were redirecting it, which is a completely different thing from actually bending lightning. It was arcing off one piece of machinery, and they were channeling it to a different one with that same exact motion that Iroh taught Zuko.

EDIT: Rewatched that little bit, and its kind of hard to tell. It sure looks like they are redirecting it, because they aren't making any of the motions associated with creating lightning like Ozai or Azula or Zolt did, and are standing in almost exactly the same stance that redirecting uses, but it doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere. Not sure what exactly they are doing in that scene. They can't be using firebenders as a source of electricity, that seems like it would be horribly inefficent and since they already have engines there are better ways to make power. My first reaction was they were using it to weld something, but on rewatching that can't be it either.
gamebrain89

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » April 21st, 2012, 11:06 pm

I don't have any problem believing that the spirits did speak to Amon. However, Amon very dutifully did not say *which* spirits spoke to him. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the spirit that spoke to Amon was Koh the Face-Stealer. The mask Amon wears also leads me to think Koh is involved with Amon. Amon either wears it to ensure his face isn't stolen by Koh, or his face already was stolen and the mask hides that fact. Personally, I'm not sure how truthful the "Firebender took my face" story is.

I'm not really sure how Amon would be able to be alive if Koh took his face. Or speak.

What I think is that lightning bending was only taught to the Fire nation upper class or only the royal family. I think after industrialization happened, with a big demand for electricity and Zuko not being a hoarding dick, it started getting taught more widely.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 21st, 2012, 11:58 pm

I'm not quite sure how Amon would still be alive after Koh took his face either, but I think it's a theory worth stating, especially since we're only three episodes in. Considering Koh exists, period, there's no telling what's possible with regards to him. Especially if Koh is using Amon as an agent on the physical world.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Wittgen » April 22nd, 2012, 12:03 am

As a friend of mine put it, Aang was a man of peace in a time of war, and Kora is a woman of war in a time of peace. Aang had to come to peace with the fact that some problems just couldn't be solved by anything but force. (Even if he found a way to apply the needed force non-lethally.) Kora is facing problems that no amount of force could ever solve. She'll have to learn to get in touch with both herself and her world. It's going to be an interesting journey.
Wittgen

Unread postby Minion » April 22nd, 2012, 12:26 am

I'm not quite sure how Amon would still be alive after Koh took his face either, but I think it's a theory worth stating, especially since we're only three episodes in. Considering Koh exists, period, there's no telling what's possible with regards to him. Especially if Koh is using Amon as an agent on the physical world.

MrRigger
While I think this is a cool theory and would love to see Koh again (as he said he would meet Aang again, but never said in what life) I am remembering the only creature we saw in the aftermath of a face stealing. That monkey near Koh's cave. It's face was gone, including the eyes. Amon had eyes.

Countdown until you are listing the foreshadowing of energybending again?
Last edited by Minion on April 22nd, 2012, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minion

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 22nd, 2012, 12:36 am

That's true, Minion. I hadn't thought of that. Doesn't discount the possibility that Amon wears the mask as a way to protect his face from Koh.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Minion » April 22nd, 2012, 12:42 am

EVERYONE should protect their faces from Koh.
Minion

Unread postby Minion » April 26th, 2012, 3:59 pm

I wonder why Zuko isn't alive? Because Sozin and Azulon both lived to be incredibly old, and it was stated that harnessing the power of the comet was responsible for that. I could even see Iroh being alive because of it. Zuko was 18 max when he took the throne, so he couldn't have lived to be 88? Did someone murder Zuko?
Minion

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Zuko is alive, just retired. He hasn't made an appearance on screen yet though, and might not.
ewuvi

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 26th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Given the age of some Avatar characters, pretty much all the previous main cast should still be alive. Kyoshi was 230 when she died. Sozin lived to be 102, Azulon died at 95 (and presumably had at least a few more years), and Guru Pathik was 150 in the series. Bumi was 112. So while Aang burned up a fair bit of his lifetime in the iceberg (which is something I can deal with), and Sokka was a vanilla human who lived in one of the harshest climates known to man and so his death makes sense, Katara being the only one to last to the new series doesn't make sense. I can see Zuko stepping down from being Fire Lord, but still being alive, and Toph still teaching somewhere, even if neither one has a whole lot of impact on the series.

And since Metalbending is now a lot more widespread, Toph pretty much has to be a teacher, or something similar. Though I can't imagine being her student would be very pleasant. I'm thinking as a test to see if you're worthy, she knocks you out, blindfolds you, and then sticks you in the middle of a mountain, and you have to use Earthbending "sight" to find your way out.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Keep in mind, however, that the people who were living to crazy ages were also incredibly powerful themselves, and were not common. Not to say that the Avatar cast weren't crazy strong, they were, simply that these ancient people tended to have some higher degree of spiritual awareness (Avatars have unnaturally long lifespans, Kyoshi was the longest lived). Zuko is alive, but Toph? Maybe, maybe not, they haven't said either way and I'm fine with it either way. Toph is very rough and tumble, it's possible that her lifestyle may have shortened her life.

Also, losing that sort of spiritual connection in an age of industry could lead to shorter-lived people. The world they live in now is much more out of touch with the spirit world (from what we've seen), and that might have an impact. I mean, that's just random guessing, but I can see it being significant.
ewuvi

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 26th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Moving away from the spirits is a possibility for shortened lifespans, but we're also not sure about the state of the rest of the world. While Republic City is far more advanced than the world seen during ATLA, we don't know how the rest of the world has changed. We can see that the South Pole has rebuilt, but it doesn't seem any more advanced than it was during the flashback in The Southern Raiders. So Republic City could be the exception, not the rule.

And on Toph, while it's possible that her rough and tumble lifestyle could have gotten her killed in some manner, but I don't think we could call her anything other than an incredibly powerful bender. She is definitely up there with Bumi. When she called herself The Greatest Earthbender in the World, I believed her. And she was that good as a kid. Tack another few decades onto that, and think about how strong she'd be. If bending strength is related to lifespan, she should be living at least as long as Bumi, if not longer.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 5:15 pm

True, we'll have to see the state of the rest of the world to know for sure.

Toph was an incredible bender, but I think she was more...Korra than Aang, if that makes sense. A very powerful bender, but perhaps without much of that other 'spiritual' side, which the long-lived characters all seem to possess strongly.

I think another reason for leaving Toph out of the picture, whether she's alive or not, may simply be because the writers want to focus on the new characters. Now I know that 'just having her in one scene, or referencing her' might not seem to be undermining the new cast, but remember that whole thing with Derpy Hooves. Everyone was more excited about having *their* character than the ones the story is actually about.

With that in mind, if Toph does show up, I think it will be later, once we've bonded with the new characters. I, for one, am more interested in seeing how Korra and Mako and Bolin deal with all this new stuff than trying to see my old 'Avatar' favorites. Avatar is done, this show is about the new kids and how they grow to deal with the problems of the world their predecessors left them.

tldr; Toph may or may not be alive, but I don't think it really matters.

On that note, it looks like the next episode will have Korra trying to work with a task-force to eliminate the Equalists. I guessed about as much, because she's a very aggressive person, but I'm thinking she'll come to realize that the Equalists do actually have a point. There are a lot of abuses that come with bending, and that needs to be addressed. It might actually be coming with that 'new styles of bending' thing. It seemed very important in the old style to learn patience and self control. Note also that 'vanilla' characters were also typically less important than the benders. With the advent of the industrial age, the muggles are getting tired of having to put up with increased bender abuse.

I think Korra's arc will be teaching her to be a diplomat this season. Aang had that, but he needed to be able to fight like Korra and had to learn to be strong like she is. I think she'll have to get back in touch with peace-keeping ways.

I do have to wonder how the airbender avatar before Aang did it. Apparently there were no wars in her time, and for a long time after. She must have been terrifying.
ewuvi

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 26th, 2012, 6:14 pm

It may not matter to Korra's story whether or not Toph is alive, but I think it does matter to the story of the world (which, with the focus on non-bender's place in the world, is important). Also, I think Toph was every bit as spiritual as Bumi was, which is to say, not at all, and he still lived to be at least 112. If something is out there that can kill one of the most powerful Earthbenders ever, and someone as important as the Inventor of Metalbending, and who has a fair bit of importance to Republic City (see her statue outside the police building), I think we ought to hear about it. Her appearance would also be a good way of showing the differences in styles. Toph uses the old, old style, the style first taught by Badger Moles, not just the old style that Earthbenders adapted over the years, and I think it would be a good thing to see how that differs from the more modern style Bolin uses.

And while you're right, keeping focus off the Gaang is definitely because they'd steal the show. However, if they wanted to keep the Gaang out of it, they should have either set it further in the future (to the point that only Aang would have been alive by virture of an Avatar extended lifespan), or they shouldn't have set the story in a city that was founded by Aang and Zuko with a police force once run by Toph. Distancing yourself from Gaang at that point becomes nearly impossible.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 7:18 pm

I'm sure any relevant information about the Gaang will show up when it's needed, but it's not needed right now. It's three episodes in. We know Zuko is alive from outside information that they have kindly provided about the world, but to be honest, I think crowing about how we want to see the old characters in a show that is not at all about them is sort of absurd.

Legend of Korra
is about Korra, and what happening in the world after the war. When and if Toph becomes relevant, she'll show up or be mentioned. In fact, she has. Her relevance has been shown by her daughter being the head of police that use her bending style. Toph has impacted the city. But it's three episodes in. Right now Toph doesn't matter; Korra figuring out what to do about the Equalists does.

At this point, Toph showing up would be for the sole reason of having Toph show up. There has been no call for it plot-wise. I love Toph, she's kickass, but she isn't a main character in this show; she's a piece of history, as evidenced by her statue. She might not have lived that long, we don't know. And saying that 'she should have lived to be really old because a couple other notable characters have' seems silly to me as well. She doesn't need to have been killed, she could've gotten sick or old or whatever. She could even be around, but just retired. As it stands, Toph's importance has been shown. She made the police what they are and her metal-bending is in use in everyday life. They might mention more about her in out-of-show snippets, but it isn't relevant to the story, it's just background info.

Not to mention it'd completely wreck the pacing of the show.

"And now for a break from the chase after the Equalists for a history lesson about the day to day life of Toph!"

I don't think that would benefit the show at all right now. I'm sure Aang will take Korra through a vision of the past when it becomes necessary. That's what he's there for.

So, to be honest, I don't see why "But what about my favorite character from Avatar?!" is the most pressing question. It's not Aang's story. It's not Toph's story. It's about the next generation stepping in, and when and if the old generation becomes significant enough to show up in the plot is up to the absolutely incredible writers of the show.
ewuvi

Return to “%s” Geek Culture