Worm (web serial) discussion thread

Worm (web serial) discussion thread

Unread postby serbii » February 19th, 2013, 3:27 am

Worm can be found here

I know a number of people are reading this so it gets a thread.
Worm is a Web Serial Novel centered around Taylor, a teenager with a superpower that lets her control bugs.
The story follows Taylor as she quickly gets swept up in the chaos and complexities of the 'cape' community of Brockton Bay by joining with a group of villains known as The Undersiders. Cape politics, factions, rivalries, information warfare and the individual problems of the people beneath the costumes put even the heroes in something of a gray area. Taylor's actions in the midst of this leave her in a situation where she's forced to make some hard choices, facing the reality of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons.
For anyone not currently reading who's thinking of taking it up it's one of those things that gets a lot better as it goes along. The first couple of arcs are decent (not without issue, but I don't want to speak of that right now), but some of the later ones are unputdownable. It updates 2-3 times a week like clockwork.

I suggest spoiler tags for the latest chapter or two. Actually first, who is reading this and how up to date are you? We might want to extend how far back to include spoiler tags if people aren't up to date.
serbii

Re: Worm (web serial) discussion thread

Unread postby SLAMU » February 19th, 2013, 4:15 am

I am up to date minus several weeks. When last I read
Spoiler: show
it was the Travelers ending up in a parallel version of Earth instead of the computer game tournament they were hoping for.
SLAMU

Unread postby serbii » February 19th, 2013, 5:46 am

it was the Travelers ending up in a parallel version of Earth instead of the computer game tournament they were hoping for.
Don't you just hate it when that happens?
serbii

Unread postby SLAMU » February 19th, 2013, 10:59 am

I know, right? Every time!
SLAMU

Unread postby ewuvi » February 19th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I am totally up to date
So do you think they're going to put a kill order on Skitter at least? I'd kind of like for her to just like, out and out explain everything. They could use Kid Win's lie detector software to verify. Don't see why they don't use that more often, unless they want to pretend someone is lying when they know they aren't?

Also, Worm is really good, but there is no happiness in this. Like, I dunno, I feel like there needs to be a hope spot soon or else we're gonna stop caring.
ewuvi

Unread postby Ristridin » February 19th, 2013, 6:57 pm

I'm completely up to date. I actually started reading this when it was mentioned in a thread here if I'm not mistaken.
I am totally up to date
So do you think they're going to put a kill order on Skitter at least? I'd kind of like for her to just like, out and out explain everything. They could use Kid Win's lie detector software to verify. Don't see why they don't use that more often, unless they want to pretend someone is lying when they know they aren't?

Also, Worm is really good, but there is no happiness in this. Like, I dunno, I feel like there needs to be a hope spot soon or else we're gonna stop caring.
The fact that there might be a kill order already heavily implies that it's going to be used. Especially given the setting. I completely agree; there needs to be more happiness. So I really hope that this arc will have a somewhat positive result. Chances of it happening are low though, especially for the Undersiders.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby serbii » February 20th, 2013, 2:17 am

It is just a long run of 'things get worse' to varying degrees. I dunno. I liked the endbringer arc, not so much the slaughterhouse nine (I don't think I like them as a concept or plot device really, too evil as f*** for the hell of it), I like Noelle's arc (or at least her as a plot driving device) more than that I think.

I think there's a possibility heroes are going to split down the middle soon. With those not in the know, and just discovering some of the manipulations of cauldron (Miss Militia, Kid Win, Flechette, Eidelion etc) bringing all the little pieces of information together if Taylor reveals Calvert = Coil. (And she better, if only because I hate 'withholding the information for no real reason' plots:P
serbii

Unread postby ewuvi » February 20th, 2013, 9:38 am

Eidolon is in the loop, Legend in the one they are hiding it from
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » February 20th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Eidolon is in the loop, Legend in the one they are hiding it from
Ahh was it him? I couldn't remember which. Too many chapters ago.
serbii

Unread postby ewuvi » February 21st, 2013, 2:41 pm

Yeah, Legend and Alexandria's interludes made it pretty clear that Eidolon knew what was up. They just didn't tell Legend because he has like, morals.
ewuvi

Unread postby Ristridin » February 23rd, 2013, 8:31 am

Well serbii, you got your wish. No 'witholding the information for no real reason'. Also, the healing (maybe, sort of). Love the way Scapegoat is barely able to stand (and Skitter thinking he gets a worse version of the injuries).

In total, nice breather chapter. It dissolves a lot of my fears of things getting even worse after the ending of 19.1. The ending was a bit less hopeful, though given the connection between Cauldron and Coil, they might be enemies anyway.

Still curious about Dinah's note... I hope Skitter will remember to read it in the next chapter.
Ristridin

Unread postby ewuvi » February 24th, 2013, 12:44 am

Thinking there will be a split amongst the heroes soon. Maybe Legend, Chicago Wards, Weld, Miss Militia defecting or something along those lines.
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » February 24th, 2013, 1:47 am

Flechette and Kid Win was it? Too.
serbii

Unread postby Greybane » February 27th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Oh wow, I should have made this months ago./

Completely up to date, and I agree with the need for some more hope spots. I would say a ray of light, but given that in this setting those tend to destroy buildings, I don't think we need one...

Does anyone else feel that Tattletale really should have learned to keep her mouth a bit more shut in front of superior firepower sometimes?
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby serbii » February 28th, 2013, 1:23 am

Tt is too smart for her own good sometimes.
serbii

Unread postby ewuvi » February 28th, 2013, 5:54 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I *liked* Blasto! Also, this kinda makes Dragon killing Manton a moot point, doesn't it? I mean, amazingly badass on Dragon's part, but still, if they can just clone him...oh man, I liked you so much Blasto. You were a bro.
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » March 9th, 2013, 3:33 am

Ehhehheh, Taylor sliced Echidna in two. Clever girl. I award you a CMOA.
serbii

Unread postby Ristridin » March 9th, 2013, 12:38 pm

With bonus points for the way she did it. First reminding everyone of the stakes by asking for Eidolon and then standing in front of a charging Echidna without running (showing ALL capes just what she's made off). And as an afterthought, allowing the heroes to take care of the Eidolon clone.

It's a shame the morale effect didn't work though...
Ristridin

Unread postby ewuvi » March 9th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I suspect it didn't work too well because Skitter is an established, scary villain. So the heroes are losing faith in each other, only to have their asses saved by the Insect Queen of Brockton Bay.

The heroes just found out that all of them were being controlled by villains faking at goodness, and that some of them were tested on and used by the system. Then, while they're reeling from this, the villain who (at least some of them are aware of) was questioning The System and its ability to help people comes in and does something that even the Triumvirate hadn't accomplished. She also easily slipped into the role of a commander when things were going bad. And at least the Brockton Bay area people are aware that she is a teenager, so that's even more alarming. If anything, I think her actions (while necessary) might destroy morale further.
also
Is Myrddin dead? And I liked how he, Chevalier and Miss Militia took the lead easily as soon as Alexandria and Eidolon were taken out and Legend occupied. Maybe we'll see a decentralization of heroic efforts if city leaders like those three manage to hold things together. Again, don't know how Chevalier or Myrddin got their powers, but we know Miss Militia got hers the hard way. Triumph is about to feel super awkward.
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » March 9th, 2013, 9:13 pm

That's the thing about villains too, you can count on most of them getting their powers the "proper" way.
Medium term, yeah, things are messy, but she might have won them the battle at least. Which they needed or else the whole
"you experimented on us", and buying powers thing wouldn't be an issue as you know, they'd all be dead anyway.
serbii

Unread postby serbii » March 12th, 2013, 1:33 am

I wasn’t hugely happy with the past two arcs. If I were writing a book, this’d be the point I went back and fixed it up so the tempo wasn’t quite so high over a 4-arc span, and so things were a bit smoother in progression. Things should chill out, in a general sense, for just a little while.
Heh, author realised the need for things to calm down a bit for a while.
serbii

Unread postby ewuvi » March 14th, 2013, 12:29 pm

And then immediately makes things go way worse XD
I have to say I am glad this interlude got scrapped. "I hinted that this was possible in an off screen moment" kinda sucks. And people stick to Echidna on contact, so her deliberately letting Tattle go makes nothings sense, especially if sheI is holding the clone. That and the fact that the interlude relies entirely on about a dozen smart people carry a massive idiot ball, well...
ewuvi

Unread postby Ristridin » March 14th, 2013, 1:12 pm

I wonder what the scrapping of the interlude will mean for Vista and Shatterbird though...
Ristridin

Unread postby ewuvi » March 14th, 2013, 6:18 pm

I think they could reasonably end up in the same situations without Witness there. The back-story on Shatterbird was nice, but Vista seemed out of character with the degree to which she was merely a prop.

Witness doesn't even seem to fit story-wise. Why would she even exist? Why would Noelle let Tattle go if the only opponents she had at the time were Bitch and Tattle? She could match Eidolon one on one easily, and once people make contact unless they are *crazy* strong, fast, or made of inorganic material (Alexandria or Weld) they are sucked in. So any contact Tattle would have made would have meant she was absorbed. To have been inside of Echidna's mouth makes Tattle escaping even more ridiculous to think about.

Then there's the idea that Echidna would have decided to have an extra 'fuck you' backup plan in the form of an evil Tt, but that doesn't make sense with the way she was acting. She was on full rampage at that point, and doing fine going toe to toe against Eidolon. Having some sort of backup plan in the form of a warped Tt seems so out of character as to be completely forced.

And finally, Weld, etc. just got out of a fight against someone who makes evil mutated twins capable of talking and stuff, and are put in a position where on top of not being able to trust people who look a bit off, are in a position where they can't trust their allies, and they immediately offer someone who fits all of the 'kill on sight' criteria a leadership position with their group? Makes no sense. Witness's idea that Faultline can't even say anything against her seems...well, silly. Faultline is well respected within her group. There is no real dissent, and she has a reputation for being good to Case 53s, so voicing a concern that "Hey, this person looks like a mutant version of Tattletale. We just got out of a fight where someone makes evil mutant twins, maybe we should be a wee bit more skeptical" wouldn't make people suddenly turn on her unless Witness were some sort of freakish Mary Sue.

All in all, it was just a forced extra character given an unbelievable introduction for the sake of "Oh no! They can't even have a Pyrrhic victory, it has to be an all out loss every single time!"

Which is sad, because before this point I can only think of one other time where an Idiot Ball was held- in the case of Amy's incarceration- and even then, there was a sort of logic behind it. Not so with anything to do with Witness.
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » March 14th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Yeah, I'd rather she's not around. There's enough going on and it felt kind of Sueish 'bending world to make things work out'. Also same powers.

Shall we take a moment to congratulate and realise the brilliance of the true mastermind here?
Well done Simurgh.
serbii

Return to “%s” Geek Culture