Black Library reading

Black Library reading

Unread postby Comosicus » December 18th, 2014, 6:05 pm

After years of satisfying my WH40K cravings only with fanfiction, I finally managed to get my hands on some genuine Black Library books, thanks to a game shop I found here, in Dublin, that sells second hand books. Here's my list so far:

- The Grey Knights Omnibus: very well written set of novels. I recommend it highly
- Titanicus: another Dan Abnett masterpiece
- the first 10 novels of Gaunt's Ghosts (2 omnibuses and 3 stand-alone novels) - to read
- The UltraSmurfs - I mean Ultramarines - Omnibus - to read
- DeathWatch Xeno Hunters - to read
- Baneblade by Guy Haley - to read

Of course they have lots and lots of Horus Heresy books, but the series is too large to start reading it. I read a few chapters of the first book, Horus Rising and it didn't "click" right with me yet. There was also the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus, but I understood there are many more novels and I prefer to get my hands on whole sets when possible.

Some other items on my wish list are the Inquisition series (Eisenhorn and Ravenor). Not sure I would enjoy that much reading about Chaos Marines though. Any other recommendations I should look for?
Comosicus

Re: Black Library reading

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 22nd, 2014, 4:40 pm

Look for the Space Wolf series centered on Ragnar Blackmane written by William King and Lee Lightner. They cover a good deal about not only his early career, but the culture of the Space Wolves. They're in two Omnibus editions covering the works by each author and are pretty good.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Comosicus » January 30th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Got two more books done and started the UltraSmurfs omnibus. Here are my thoughts:

Baneblade: decent writing, but not on the level of Titanicus. One interesting area were the retrospection short chapters that tell the history of the main character. As you go further back in time, more and more facets are discovered.

Deathwatch - Xenos hunters: collection short stories. Many of them have quite interesting plots, but their short length makes you want for more. There's not enough time to attach to the characters. On the other hand it really makes you realize that even Space Marines are just faceless figures lost in a galaxy engulfed in war. I guess though that the stories involving the Necrons are the best of all.

Ultramarines Omnibus: read the introduction short story and began the first novel, "Nightbringer". By the references dropped so far I guess it involves the C'Tan with the same name. Promises to be as entertaining as the Grey Knights one has been.

I also made a design for the website of the local games shop where I get my books from. Haven't heard back from the owner yet, but only a few days passed.

I'll post just the link, as it is huge (1900x3700). Click on the pic again to see it 100% in the browser.

Gamers World site design
Spoiler: show
Comosicus

Unread postby Comosicus » February 27th, 2015, 10:24 am

Finished reading the Ultramarines Omnibus and also managed to get my hands on the next novel, Killing Ground. Quite an interesting read. There are many parallels with the Grey Knights omnibus, especially between each third novel, where both heroes are dragged onto a demon world. Still, they are both enjoyable to read.

Killing Ground feels a little short, both as plot and physically, when you compare the small pocket-like book with the large omnibus. It practically finishes the arc of the third novel, completing the Uriel's quest to escape the Eye of Terror and return to the Ultramarines.

I've started the first omnibus of the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I'm slightly ambivalent so far, as the style of writing, peppered with multiple flashbacks, is not the easiest to follow. I'll see if it gets easier down the road. Otherwise I might just abandon it.
Comosicus

Return to “%s” Geek Culture