If you could choose to be stranded in any fictional world...

If you could choose to be stranded in any fictional world...

Unread postby ashez2ashes » January 12th, 2009, 1:10 am

If you had to choose a fictional world to be stranded in, what would you choose? And why? Note that this necessarily won't be your favorite book/series/movie etc. Also, if you choose a world without any fantasy/scifi elements you have close to a 0% chance of ever going home.

I'm leaning toward choosing the Pokemon world. Everyone there is dumb, so I'd look really smart in comparsion with my average intellect. Although, if everyone is vegetarian I might eventually get arrested for trying to eat a Jigglypuff.
ashez2ashes

Re: If you could choose to be stranded in any fictional world...

Unread postby MorphCross » January 12th, 2009, 1:25 am

It depends, would being stranded in the world automatically grant me the abilities of the natives? Or would I still be Joe Schmo?

I would certainly not choose a fantasy world where massive wars and conflict are common so how about the Kingdom of Landover?

I mean, the king over the entire land is from our world, I know that I could get back through the same way the king got in. Besides the witch who holds grudges, the talking dog, taciturn Kobolds, and frankly an inept wizard, I think I could actually handle living there.
MorphCross

Unread postby Jamey » January 12th, 2009, 1:28 am

If you had to choose a fictional world to be stranded in, what would you choose? And why? Note that this necessarily won't be your favorite book/series/movie etc. Also, if you choose a world without any fantasy/scifi elements you have close to a 0% chance of ever going home.

I'm leaning toward choosing the Pokemon world. Everyone there is dumb, so I'd look really smart in comparsion with my average intellect. Although, if everyone is vegetarian I might eventually get arrested for trying to eat a Jigglypuff.
If I were going strictly for the male fantasy fulfillment aspect, I'd have to pick the Pokegirl world.

Otherwise, it's a hard call, really, but likely I'd pick Tertia Tellus of Lazarus Long, or maybe the Lensman Universe, after the destruction of the Eddorians. In both cases, there's a relatively high tech level, and the major dangers have been taken off of the playing field. Lazarus Long's world has the advantage of having a moral code I find very liberating - which does bring to mind the Confederation of L. Neil Smith's novels.

Pern has a certain appeal to it, especially after AIVAS manages to bring an end to Threadfall, but the relatively low level of tech is the final deciding factor against it for me.
Jamey

Unread postby bibliophile20 » January 12th, 2009, 1:47 am

Dresden Files; if I have to continue being a mundane, because the magic there is functional, and you can still be a Badass Normal. Other possibilities are Timothy Zahn's Quadrail series, David Weber's Oath of Swords' series, Mass Effect, (and The Ten Thousand Coasts, the D&D setting I've spent most of the last year working on, but that's because I know where all the buried treasure is)

However, if I get to adopt some of the abilities of the natives... Shadowrun, Codex Alera... there are a few more, but those are the biggies.
bibliophile20

Unread postby Minion » January 12th, 2009, 2:13 am

I would probably choose the Pokemon world. By age ten you have no responsibilities than whatever you want to do. In the same vein, I'd have liked to be in the Digimon world if I'd be a Digidestined. Also, almost no one ever dies in either world.
Minion

Unread postby unknown513 » January 12th, 2009, 2:52 am

my #1; GITS, my favorite characters are the Tachikomas, AI mecha are awesome.
#2; A Sliders, Tsubasa, or Abenobashi multiuniverse adventure could be really be fun.
runnerups; a mecha like BattleTech, Gundam, or Eureka Seven universe could be nice during times of peace.
unknown513

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 12th, 2009, 3:21 am

#1 choice would definitely be ZOIDS Kit me out with a modified Konig Wolf and I'd be headed straight for S-Class baby!
#2 would also have to be digimon, as a Digidestined, it would be interesting to see exactly what sort of partner I'd end up with.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Wittgen » January 12th, 2009, 5:31 am

Star Trek's Earth is pretty friggin' sweet. It's pretty utopian, so I guess I'd go with that. I might get studied a ton to try and figure out where the hell I came from, but in the end, that would just guarantee me at least some resources to live comfortably.

That's all I'm really coming up with, which is weird since I'm not even that into Star Trek. All the fictional universes from stories I really like are either too terrifying and dangerous (Buffy, Naruto, Bleach, etc...) or too normal for most people (Azumanga Dai Oh, Nodame Cantabile, oddly enough Bleach) to have any appeal.

Maybe the Middleman's universe would work.
Wittgen

Unread postby Shoubushi » January 12th, 2009, 11:44 am

For me, like most others here, it would depend on whether or not I got cool powers like everyone else or had to settle for being a badass normal. If it's the second then I think Cowboy Bebop would suit me rather nice. If it's the first then I would probably go with Naruto, simply so that I could have the enjoyment of making elemental dragons. That would be badass on so many levels.
Shoubushi

Unread postby ashez2ashes » January 12th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Well, I was thinking along the lines of that you'd still be you more or less; say even if your body became "nativeized" you'd not necessarily know how to use those powers or ever get training. A random stranger who shows up in Konoha, who doesn't know Japanese, defintily isn't going to be taught jutsus by anyone. You'll probably spend your last moments being tortured by Ibiki, whose trying to interrogate you in Japanese. lol

*shrug* I dunno, I guess I've always been fascinated with the idea of a realistic self insert where you might be in the world of your dreams, but still your regular ole fallible self.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby Shoubushi » January 13th, 2009, 8:21 am

Ah, well in that case then yes, Cowboy Bebop for me. No one in that world has special powers. Just technology and good ole guns. I can handle guns.
Shoubushi

Unread postby Darkandus » January 13th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Interesting...several thoughts come to mind. Discworld for one, that would be awesome. Or the world of Histories strongest disciple Kenichi where even if your a talentless weakling you can become obscenely strong in a matter of weeks. Warhammer 40000k would be fun as long as I was magically invunerable to death and damage, but otherwise I'd stay as far away from it as possible. Naruto is a given if I gained trainable chakra pathways and the ability to communicate successfully with everyone. Pokemon would be fun too I guess. If I think about it more I'd probably come up with dozens more.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby ewuvi » January 13th, 2009, 6:24 pm

I think I'd choose the Tortall of Terrier times. I'd also want to be a couple years younger than I am now, so I could find some sort of job training. I'd be old enough to settle down and have babies. Scary thought there.

That's honestly the safest place I can think of off the top of my head. WWZ land would suck, I don't think I want to go to Terra'd Ange, I'm not pretty enough. Sundering land looks scary as hell, I really don't want to try my chances with the Eater of the World in Anne Bishop world, and I'm pretty sure I suck at learning new languages on the fly, so that cuts out most everything else. Besides, almost everyone in Tortall is badass normal.
ewuvi

Unread postby unknown369 » January 13th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Hmm well that's an interesting question. In terms of safety, I'd choose the land of Oz. If I'm feeling more adventurous, I'd choose Golden Sun. It's easy to get the 'magic' powers there. Just wack myself with a special rock and I'm good to go :)

If I'm feeling super-duper adventurous I'd choose That other series by Pierce. Circle of Magic, I think. It's relatively dangerous and I wouldn't be able to get magic powers. But that world has really cool characters!
unknown369

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 13th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Personally, I'm not sure why no one has said this yet. I'd want to hang out with the Muppets. Because Kermit the Frog is awesome. Other than that, I wouldn't mind the world of Dresden Files, or Super Mario Land.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Minion » January 13th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Star Wars, since it hasn't been mentioned. If you can avoid the, admittedly frequent, series of slaughters throughout the universe, being a Jedi or a Sith would rock. And even if you aren't force sensitive, there is always the path of a bounty hunter. :cool
Minion

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 13th, 2009, 8:41 pm

I just thought of another world that would be fun to be in. Schlock Mercenary. Excellent body armor to keep you from dying, incredible medical processes to keep you from dying, and an Ommmmminus Hummmmmmm.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby ShonenHero » January 14th, 2009, 12:35 am

Hmm, that's a tough one... I think I'd like to be in the Dragonball universe. I'd probably get killed by one of the many alien aggressors, but there'd at least be a place for me in the afterlife. And hey, if I get killed by said alien aggressors, there's always the chance that I'd get wished back to life with the dragonballs. :P
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Phht » January 14th, 2009, 12:40 am

I'd totally take post-original series Macross universe.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby lucifer10 » January 14th, 2009, 1:26 am

What about the Looney Tunes or Animaniacs?
lucifer10

Unread postby MorphCross » January 14th, 2009, 1:34 am

Too many anvils and one ton weights falling from the sky. :panic:
MorphCross

Unread postby Minion » January 14th, 2009, 2:02 am

True, but you're immortal to make up for it. Though, this could be a fate worse than death for some. *CoughDaffyandWileECyoteCough*
Minion

Unread postby Lightwhispers » January 14th, 2009, 11:56 am

Assuming I keep my memories (and therefore knowledge of various world-changing events that will be coming up), popping in 50-100 years before the events of John Ringo's There Will Be Dragons would be fun.
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Unread postby ashez2ashes » January 14th, 2009, 11:31 pm

And hey, if I get killed by said alien aggressors, there's always the chance that I'd get wished back to life with the dragonballs. :P
You could make that request of your love ones in your will "Please go on a request to retrieve all the dragon balls and bring me back to life". lol

If I wasn't prone to motion sickness I would have liked to be in the One Piece world. Even though I'd have a high chance of dying young, I bet you'd have a hell of a fun time crammed into your short life. But alas, since its a world made mostly of islands, I'd spend most of my time with my head over the side of the boat.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 15th, 2009, 9:51 am

In order of preference:

1) Muppets, hell yes.
2) Mass Effect as a civilian space pilot (that is, if I don't get put under the microscope and dissected). I may not be as good as Joker, but it would still be a thrill.
3) Oddworld

In order of "Please god, no!":

3) Forgotten Realms
2) LotR
1) Naruto (I love Naruto, but kids having to kill at the age of six in the least violent or military village is terrifying in a way I never want to experience)
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Return to “%s” Geek Culture