Gems of Youtube

Re: Gems of Youtube

Unread postby MEKristian » June 25th, 2014, 1:09 am

Oooh... I can't wait to watch that! I'm probably going to try to download it and watch it on the drive to the Outer Banks (in North Carolina) this weekend! ...I'm probably going to do something similar with HTTYD1 as well...
Hope you're brushed-up on your Universal Century info then, or else you're going to be completely lost. Which I suppose is a main criticism for it, but it was UC fanservice from it's inception, really...
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Wraith5 » June 25th, 2014, 7:28 am

I've got a vague idea of things in the UC timeline, but I never really watched the original Gundam series past the initial landing on Earth. Granted, I'm watching Unicorn more for the mechs and battles than anything else. Granted, from what I've heard/seen, SEED copied so many ideas from UC that it's not really that difficult to understand.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 26th, 2014, 1:06 pm

This was beautifully done.

Also, this one is very appropriate:

Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 16th, 2014, 7:11 pm

From the Fine Bros. a new React has arrived.

Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby MEKristian » August 17th, 2014, 12:46 am

Of course the greatest 90s cartoon opening song would come in the form of a 2014 video game remix.

And because virt's one of those "mad" genius types, here's what happens when he slowly listens to 30 hours worth of Street Fighter character theme.
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » October 11th, 2014, 10:01 pm

This can be very spoilery if you have not played the game, but it’s just beautiful:

"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 15th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Fount this by accident, and thought you guys might appreciate it. And it seems, yes, you can do music via a Mario game.

jgkitarel

Unread postby JamestheFox » October 15th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Oh gosh is that nostalgic. Both Automatic Mario, and Nico Nico Medley.

Spoiler contains a version of Nico Nico Medley. Video is somewhat NSFW, but audio is a metaphorical BUTTLOAD of people working together to sing all those songs and have fun. This isn't the original, but appears to be a remake of the first one I ever saw. I'll edit/post it in if I ever find it.
Spoiler: show
EDIT: Found the sucker. Into a separate spoiler it goes. Warning: Knowing exactly what they're singing MAY ruin it for you. Like. Badly. Or it may make it for you.
There are LOADS of variations on this concept.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby MEKristian » October 15th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Oh gosh is that nostalgic. Both Automatic Mario, and Nico Nico Medley.
Oh man, so so nostalgic... considering the song choices are things like Buso Renkin and Haruhi... man that's a while ago...

But take a penny leave a penny, I suppose, sooooo:

MEKristian

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 16th, 2014, 12:36 am

Okay... well, James, your first one was awesome. The second one was just hypnotic beyond reason. I'll get around to watching the other one eventually. I do have a few questions about the second video though. I saw a couple mecha anime used in the background. I'm not sure which ones were what, and was wondering if anyone could tell...

MEK... that was just DISTURBING. Especially since I rather like In The End. I liked about half of that video, but the other half of it was just so grating. I mean, I've never been a big fan of rap, and hearing segments of that song done in rap... *shudder*
Congrats. You found a video that both made me happy and horrifies me. At the same time.
:you_seem_to_be_serious:

EDIT: Oh, and so I'm actually posting something on here: "This is why physics glitches are THE BEST THING EVER":
Last edited by Wraith5 on October 16th, 2014, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby MEKristian » October 16th, 2014, 12:58 am

Okay... well, James, your first one was awesome. The second one was just hypnotic beyond reason. I'll get around to watching the other one eventually. I do have a few questions about the second video though. I saw a couple mecha anime used in the background. I'm not sure which ones were what, and was wondering if anyone could tell...

MEK... that was just DISTURBING. Especially since I rather like In The End. I liked about half of that video, but the other half of it was just so grating. I mean, I've never been a big fan of rap, and hearing segments of that song done in rap... *shudder*
Congrats. You found a video that both made me happy and horrifies me. At the same time.
:you_seem_to_be_serious:
It takes some kind of skill to put together all those styles like that... and he's also done it with other songs, but "Dark Horse" was the only other one that was good enough for it, and I like this better.

And I can take the first question too, because both the song and the animations are from Super Robot Wards Alpha 3, so here's a lyrics video for the whole song:

Quality's not the bestest, but PS2 games.
MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » October 16th, 2014, 1:01 am

Generally, the backgrounds are related to the song... somehow. HERE is a list of all the songs from the Kumikyoku Nico Nico Medley...

Oh? Why... yes, there ARE other such Medleys.

So many.

SO MANY.

This here is one of the earlier ones.
And THIS is a NSFW and language-ridden parody of it done by a bunch of Newgrounds nuts.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
JamestheFox

Unread postby JamestheFox » October 21st, 2014, 10:00 pm

So, Smash Bros. Yes, Smash Bros 4 is going to be amazing.

But we probably shouldn't leave Brawl out to dry. At least, not with Project M around.

For those not in the know, Project M is a Brawl Hack (you don't need to hack your Wii for it, they've made a hackless version with instructions to get it working) that intends to get gameplay set more like Melee. Even if that doesn't sound like your thing, it does a lot of other cool stuff like...

Bringing back Mewtwo and Roy...

The absurd on-hit-cancel-fest of Turbo Mode (if you hit with an attack you can immediately cancel into ANY OTHER MOVE (yes this overrides the helpless state caused by recovery moves). Get skilled at this (or use special cheating tools, you dirty cheater) and the game basically becomes a DBZ-simulator)...

And making AMAZING alt costumes for their characters.
This is the finale video for their recent "Art Tuesdays" run, showing off a few of their designs, as well as a beautiful (especially compared to previous mod-born versions) HD version of the Smash 64 Zelda stage.

So yeah. Most of this is just me fanboying out about their latest video (the most recent one). Project M's 3.0 version is available while you wait for Smash 4 U. Just... Just google it. You DO still need Brawl, though. So... yeah.
JamestheFox

Unread postby MEKristian » October 21st, 2014, 10:35 pm

Eh, when it comes to Fire Emblem characters, I'll take the Smash 4 Newcomers over Roy, honestly. But they are trying to be Melee-ish, so I suppose Roy and Mewtwo are more "acceptable"... *shrugs*

Also, Nintendo Direct for said Smash for WiiU this Thursday at 3pm PDT, so there's that.

Now then, on the subject of Smash....

Mika Kobayashi and Hiroyuki Sawano make everything better.
MEKristian

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 28th, 2014, 3:13 pm

And this is (part of) why the Call of Duty series has some of the most hilarious moments of any video game:

'nuff said. XD
Wraith5

Unread postby MEKristian » October 28th, 2014, 4:21 pm

In my never ending quest to bring more Gundam Build Fighters to everyone, here's an AMV/MAD:

Warning, there are plot spoilers in the video, since it covers the entire first season, so avoid it if you don't want to know what'll happen, I suppose.
MEKristian

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 6th, 2014, 7:46 am

An old classic ends up in Gensokyo.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 25th, 2014, 3:17 am

Looks lie one of the ones I posted earlier was mostly storyboarding. Here's the finished product, with a bonus in the credits.

Yet another typical day in Gensokyo.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 31st, 2014, 3:25 am

Dr. Michio Kaku, astrophysicist and sci-fi geek that he is (the guy did a piece on Mass Effect, which used the basics of current cutting edge science as its base) goes about how to create a lightsaber, or at least a reasonable facsimile of one. Even better, it is technically possible, though not really feasible, with current tech.

jgkitarel

Unread postby MEKristian » January 5th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Robot size, a sliding scale.
MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » March 24th, 2015, 6:49 pm

A short film, done 80s anime style, for TIE Fighter.

According to Scott Manley in the comments: "Tie Fighter simulator just got the trailer it deserved 20 years late."
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 25th, 2015, 9:10 am

Now that was awesome.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » March 25th, 2015, 10:15 am

Agreed. X-Wing was one of the games I grew up on, and I played some TIE Fighter, but I always had a serious aversion to the lack of shields... XD
Heh... I think we've still got both games, as well as X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (which we never played at all...)
Wraith5

Unread postby MEKristian » April 3rd, 2015, 10:00 pm

So, since Nintendo opened up the Smash Fighter Ballot, the internet has been pimping various options for who they want to see. So, here's the man who made the fake "Rayman leak" back in February doing a design for one of the more possible front-runner options.
(But not my personal choice, the Knight's spiritual older sister needs to be brought into Smash super hardcore.
MEKristian

Unread postby MorphCrossing » April 24th, 2015, 9:45 am

An oldie but a good one:
Formerly known as MorphCross before the great deletion of 2011. The Creature Lives!
MorphCrossing

Return to “%s” Geek Culture