Gems of Youtube

Gems of Youtube

Unread postby Wittgen » May 8th, 2009, 11:00 am

I realized that Youtube has some pretty awesome stuff on it, but that awesome can easily be lost in the crowd. Maybe a place where we can share our favorites would be a good idea?

So, rules. There's already a thread for AMVs, so none of that please. I think we should also limit this to original content. I know there are amazing recordings of TV shows or concerts or whatever. I'm personally not interested, and I think this thread would be better if we focused on original creations. Last, every rec should come with a link and a description.

I'll start with Lord Picklejar and his series of videos on how to be evil. Picklejar is an ancient and truly malevolent demon whose achievements include, among other things, inventing the knife. His current project is to increase the level of evil in the world by giving tips on how to be evil on a grander and more effective scale. This guy is absolutely hilarious. Linkage

For a second rec, I would have to with the king of all abridged series, Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged. Probably, everyone here has seen it, but if not, you're missing out. It's well written, well voice acted, and well edited. It brilliantly rips apart Dragon Ball Z while still somehow reminding me of why I loved Dragon Ball in the first place. Linkage
Wittgen

Re: Gems of Youtube

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 9th, 2009, 1:32 am

I liked the PickleJar stuff, until the heavy handed message hit. And several times after.

Thus, I present one of my personal favorites, one I need to catch up on too, *Ask A Ninja*! I know the links isn't to youtube, but that is where I found him, so I figured it still counted.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Wittgen » May 9th, 2009, 3:23 am

Heavy handed message stuff?
Wittgen

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 9th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Paraphrased:
"We don't mean gay in the sense of Homosexual, but as generally lame. Being gay is natural, beautiful..." etc. And "Also known as Chinese cutting, which is especially evil, but not because it's racist because racist isn't cool no matter which way you slice it."
Eh, Ask a Ninja sticks to his stuff, he's an over the top impractical sociopath. This guy shouts "Hail Satan" and then uses each episode I've seen to tell me to be tolerant of gays and not to be racist (I switch to Ask A Ninja part way into the third episode). Okay, I get it, gays and non-whities are people too, I'm here for the humor. The rest was hilarious, but I just felt a wee bit preached to, the tolerance rhetoric.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Wittgen » May 9th, 2009, 10:36 pm

It didn't strike me as being preachy at all. I thought it was more along the lines of, "Hey, how about I don't get uber flamed for being homophobic or racist?"
Wittgen

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 10th, 2009, 9:51 pm

...there is that. Heh...
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby SquirrelyRequiem » May 11th, 2009, 1:08 am

I'm not entirely sure if this would go in the AMV thread or here. Frankly I'm thinking this is a gem, but if it belongs there then my apologies in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ Plants vs Zombies!
SquirrelyRequiem

Unread postby Dervon » May 11th, 2009, 1:29 am

I'm not entirely sure if this would go in the AMV thread or here. Frankly I'm thinking this is a gem, but if it belongs there then my apologies in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ Plants vs Zombies!
And here I was, a few days ago, wondering if I should get this...
*Goes off to buy the game via Steam*

EDIT: Technically, not an AMV, just a pretty awesome company-made advertisement. :D
Dervon

Unread postby shoootme » May 12th, 2009, 8:06 pm

if you mention team four star i would also recommend Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged by one of team four stars writers Lanipator. some more good ones are done by LK,hbi2k as well, naruto abridged would have been put up here but they get taken down faster than it can be put up so good luck finding ep1.

for random ness with Unicorn and amazing adventure watch charlie.
shoootme

Unread postby Kodra » May 13th, 2009, 1:27 pm

So I'm currently at work where youtube is banned. So I can't link directly, but go do a search for creativejuices7.

Meet the PHB PSAs, a long running series of Public Service Announcements as delivered by the iconic characters from the 3.5 rulebooks.

Examples include Mialee's PSA on the dangers of Displacer beasts, Jozan's PSA on why you should worship Pelor, and Lidda's PSA on when to use Sneak Attack.

The series has grown into alot more than what it was, but I've found countless hours of nerd humor thanks to that channel. Alot of the main characters have stuck around and continue to pop up in various non-PSA stories (like D&Debate, or Q&A sessions).

Give them a chance, but at the very least you should check out #16 which is D&Debate 2, Dwarves vs Elves, debated by Tordek and Mialee.
Kodra

Unread postby CKeffer » May 13th, 2009, 8:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssd-3NjW7M
Two words, steampunk mecha. It's a 3d animation short from Blur studios called A Gentlemen's Duel, and it's utterly hillarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gdy-6Y6RY
Tokyo mater. A Pixar short spoofing the F&F series, mainly tokyo drift, as well as ricers in general.

-Cameron Keffer
CKeffer

Unread postby AntiNaba » May 13th, 2009, 9:08 pm

AntiNaba

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 1st, 2009, 3:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/ItsJustSomeRandomGuy
Some of the best comicbook humor i've ever seen and that's before he starts playing with Deadpool.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FloatingHandsStudios
This one also along the same vein, but mostly X-men stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Megami33
And if we're recommending abridged series' you can't go wrong with these guys.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Farmer_10 » March 8th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Live thread, LIVE!!!!

Enthusiastic advertisement of amusing film. Reccomendation and satirical violent demands to view it.
Last edited by Farmer_10 on April 9th, 2010, 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby gman391 » March 8th, 2010, 8:42 pm

These are both amazing AMV's in my opinion.

Last edited by gman391 on March 8th, 2010, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby serbii » March 8th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Test the youtube tag

RE: that young Hokage AMV, I feel the one above is better (uses the same song)
serbii

Unread postby gman391 » March 8th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Ehh to many blur effects for me. But I admit that it is pretty good. You liked the other one though?
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby MEKristian » March 8th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Too many AMVs to fully go through, so Here's a Parody series:

AIBO vs. All-1 (continues through to 4 episodes)
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby serbii » March 8th, 2010, 10:45 pm

Yep, but I'll always be biased towards the one I posted :grin: It got me into that song you see

While I'm here I'll throw in everything Chiikaboom has done ever Chii's new two

serbii

Unread postby gman391 » March 8th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Very nice. Although I don't know the anime well enough to have a real emotional response.

Here's one for all of us who prefer German Songs (At least I think it's German :???:)
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Random_fan » March 8th, 2010, 11:19 pm

I present the only AMV I've actually seen.
Random_fan

Unread postby serbii » March 8th, 2010, 11:44 pm

How can you have only seen one AMV!?
*Has like 60gig of them*
serbii

Unread postby gman391 » March 9th, 2010, 12:04 am

Get's his music some other way I guess

Some Bleach love

----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Random_fan » March 9th, 2010, 3:00 am

AMV's just aren't for me, I've seen the one I posted because my friend showed it to me.
Random_fan

Unread postby Dervon » March 9th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Oh hell, I'm squee-ing all over the place! Yeah, so it's humorously done, but it'd be either that or the (arguable much harder) fully-serious horror.

CAN'T WAIT! :want:
Dervon

Return to “%s” Geek Culture