View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 15th, 2019, 8:35 am



Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Team PKMN: In which I shamelessly crib from RWBY! 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2011, 4:17 am
Posts: 1013
Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.
Unread post Team PKMN: In which I shamelessly crib from RWBY!
So, I started a little PokemonTabletopUnited Campaign. Having done a PokemonTabletopAdventures Campaign for a few years with these same folks, I found myself kinda excited for this little run.

The basic premise is one of a world similar to RWBY, but with Pokemon. We have creatures of darkness known as the Pitch, which cover the world of man, who fights back with the light of the Sparks - elite warriors capable of amazing feats, and with man's stalwart allies, Pokemon.

This first session is the story of four individuals who together would become Team LIAC - Team Lilac! It is also the mindbending story of both GM and Players working with a system that's both similar and different at vital points than a previous system they've played some time ago! The inspiring story of a certain lone-wolf renegade *anti-metagaming* to keep off the necessary rails meant to bring the party together in a viable way, and instead trying to find his own adventure offscreen! And the harrowing tale of the closest thing to a healer the party has being nearly murdered! The heartwarming tale of one man's struggle against a roller so biased that even the GM it was being biased for cheered when the tables were turned!

Starring:
James the Fox, the GM of our little adventure. Ran an about 2-3-years-long Pokemon campaign in a different system that is very similar to this, but has major differences. Also draws things for the campaign. Plays the killer GM, but doesn't have the heart - he prefers to play with his food, but never eat it. But sometimes, the dice force his hand. Is the worst at coming up with encounters - either makes bosses that are too easy, or nearly kills someone using wimpy mooks. Is hoping for a non-angsty, mostly hopeful storyline about good people working for a good world, turning the tide against what was once an unbeatable evil (Spoiler - He doesn't get it).
Tempest/Storm: Played on the first of two teams the GM ran concurrently and in the same universe in PTA, having played a fossil-nut and later mecharm-guy who almost brought an eternal winter with too much curiosity and one near-fumble! Likely knows more about PTU than the GM does. Will write an essay on his character design and why, when the GM merely needed a basic description so he could draw him (:P). Plays Leon Kingsley, a poncho-rocking Rogue from the slums with a Sniper Rifle that separates into two knives! He is the closest thing we have to a Medic at this point. Uses a backpack Clauncher.
Drychanth: Was on the other team of the previously mentioned PTA campaign. Kinda nondescript and slow to post, but the GM loves him for being relatively moderate. Likes to type teh word the in a weird way. Takes on the role of Capella Cantro, a Joffery/Stark-mashup-looking Researcher/Ice-Mage from the north who survived a Mount Glenn-esque attempt to expand a fortification into a full blown city. Probably always pays his debts and remembers - winter is coming. His Swinub is named Stark, furthering the references.
Gamebrain: Another vet of the previous PTA campaign (he was on the same team as Tempest), having made a mark on the fictional region of Myneo as a nigh-god-like Steel Specialist/Aura User, outstripping everything the GM could come up with and becoming the posterboy for OP characters in that campaign. Occasionally butts heads with Tempest. Now he enters the ring as Iris Irengard, a... Magical Boy? Yeah! A Wind Themed Magical Boy with tumultuous internal conflict over having such girly powers! His Togetic encourages him to embrace the Magical Girl culture.
and last but not least...
Gman: Another vet on the same team as Tempest. Nearly killed the entire team on accident as a Pyropath. Seems to have a huge lone-wolf thing - constantly working to find a point where he can wander off alone! Plays An Kun Zhi, a Wuxia swordsman using a jian-Honedge to fight for... something ... when he isn't wandering aimlessly or brooding. Is only at the military academy to learn what some lady did to tick off his father... and because his father demanded he go.

(Note: I'll come back and make this more readable later. Tired now.)

Chapter One: Landing Strategies, and CAN'T SPLIT THE PARTY IF IT NEVER GATHERED
Spoiler: show
James (GM): Alright, today is the day you join the ranks of the proud students of Glimmer Academy. You've been told to climb aboard a ship on the edge of the campus. As you remember during orientation, you're to undertake an Initiation Test. You're not sure what the nature of the test will be, but you've been assured it will be dangerous. The ship is a pleasure one, at first glance... though no ship capable of leaving the city is truly a mere pleasure vessel. The ship has a Pokemon Center aboard, though. Manning the counter is a redheaded young man.

Within view of that is a small smithy and repair area, just in case your weapons need fine-tuning. A rather rough old man with all of his limbs missing - replaced by prosthetic limbs - is hammering away at something or another.

Flaxen 5 News is playing on a big screen TV, chatting excitedly. Apparently, one of the High-Birds sired an egg recently.

Iris Irengard: A skinny looking guy dressed in a simple black shirt, jeans and boots, with a holster holding an oversized revolver on his left hip leans against a wall across from the TV, watching it idly. A Togetic that has apparently decided to make a nest out of his hair snoozes atop his head, which he puts up with in a rather grand display of long suffering.

Storm: A scrawny teen, barely larger than some children walks up the gangway, his feet making little noise even on the reverberating metal of the walkway. His torso is covered in a poncho, the pattern a mottled mesh of various shades of gray, and his pants are colored in the same fashion. His head is bedecked in a bandana, once again sporting the mottled pattern, though a few stray strands of hair escape its cover. Even they are grey, odd to see on such a young-looking boy. His eyes are wary and alert as he takes in the vessel. A lump at his back appears to be a backpack... until it begins moving. A blue-shelled head pokes out of the back of the poncho's neck, looking around with an equally cautious and assessing gaze as yellow antennae quiver slightly.

gman391: An-Kun Zhi waits against the side of the wall. His clothing seems oddly archaic, if somewhat reminiscent of old fashions long forgotten. He is in comparison to some others, robust looking if a little thin, dark black hair flows down his shoulders freely, only kept out of his eyes by a dark brown headband. Sitting on his lap is an odd looking honedge which seems to be surveying the area.

Capella Canto: A tall, wiry young man walks up the gangway while putting a book away in teh messenger bag at his side. He is wearing a dark vest long sleeve shirt combo with grey fur trim on the neck and shoulders of the vest,hanging from his belt there a a pelt, possibly from the same source as the trim on his other clothes, going farther down he is wearing long pants tucked into heavy boots. He is carrying a snoring Swinub under one arm as he surveys the area as if looking for hidden paths.

James (GM): Suddenly, the newscast shifts to reveal the image of Professor Root: a rather peaceful looking man, despite his position.
"Good afternoon, everyone, I am Prof. Root, Headmaster of Glimmer. I'm pleased to know so many of you have made it this far."
He pauses. "...However. I must warn you. While your accomplishments thus far are truly extraordinary, this is not an easy path to walk. Those of you here solely for profit should turn back now, pick a safer profession. Like police work. There is little profit in dying."
"Some of you have come because you seek answers to a question, deep or shallow, or wish to test your skills. Others are here because they feel it will... give them a higher cause to serve. And yet others are here because they believe that traveling the world will help them in some way.... And then there are those who are here because... Well, that's what they're here to find out. They're directionless, and hope that the lessons we teach here will clear them of this malady."

James (GM): "I say this now: this school cannot help you in these endeavors. Nor will Crimsoncloth, or The Tower. The things you have come for... are not ours to give. What you came here seeking, you must find and grasp for yourself. It is up to you to take the first step, whatever it may be."

Storm: The scrawny kid simply leans back slowly, the Clauncher that had been clinging to his back scuttling onto his shoulder as he sits down against the wall. The poncho rides up, exposing a belt of pouches, and a pair of what appear to be mechanized daggers at the small of his back. Both boy and mon's gazes are locked on the screen.

gman391 g.: Looking down at the Honedge An-Kun simply nods.

Capella Canto: Capella looks at Stark and rolls his eyes before sitting down and setting him down

James (GM): "If this does not bother you, and you still wish to walk THIS path... then we welcome you with open arms. If you can find what you seek of your own accord, then I'm certain the light you shine on your path will do well, faced against the Pitch black that haunts our world."
"We will be departing shortly. To all of you, whether you stay with us or leave, I wish you luck."
The screen flickers out, before returning to the news.

Iris Irengard: The white haired boy looks unsure of himself after such a speech, arms folded and staring at the floor. closes his eyes, and swallows.
"I dunno about this, girl." he says, the Togetic yawning as he shifts, then looking down at him. She chirps, patting the top of his head reassuringly. He smiles weakly.
"At least one of us is sure, huh?"

James (GM): In the passing minute before it departs, you see no one leave the ship. As you fly through the sky, the students start to turn their attention to each other. A fairly common topic is the weirdness of the Headmaster's speech.

gman391 g.: Looking around the boy shrugs. The Honedge somehow gives a look in spite of having no eyes, but An-kun offers a reassuring smile.

Capella Canto: The short haired young man looks at the Swinub at his side which has apaprently decided to wake up. "Looks like we are finally underway buddy."

Storm: The scawny kid kips to his feet, the Clauncher clinging to the poncho with the ease of long practice. Looking around, he walks over to the kid with the honedge. "Hey... you know if they got food here?" The teen's voice is a rasp, low and buzzing.

gman391 g.: In fairly soft tones. "No, I brought my own."

James (GM): "Ah thought I saw a fancy table with grub over there," A redhead with creepily bright blue eyes says through the hair bundled up around her mouth.

Storm: The teen freezes as the unknown approaches him, and the Clauncher has already drawn a bead on her, watching warily.

James (GM): "Er, uh. Dinnint mean no harm."

gman391 g.: An Kun looks between them a little bemused.

Iris Irengard: Iris slides down the wall to take a seat on the floor, digging in his bag as he does.
The Togetic perks up at this movement, and squeaks happily as he produces a plastic baggy of cookies. She hops down from his head, into his lap, and he laughs as he pulls one out for each of them.
"Yeah, I thought that'd get your attention. I need a little something sweet right now. And you're always hungry. Ya glutton. Heh."

James (GM): (There are chairs, by the way.)
(Desks, really.)

Iris Irengard: (Eh.)

Storm: "Not good to sneak up on people you don't know." The teen has relaxed fractionally, while the Clauncher has shut his claw with a reverberating SNAP.

James (GM): "Sorry bout that. Out in the farming district, it's only polite to help folks out." She scratches at one of her long, stone-like ears. "Name's... uh... Moonshine."
"Moonshine Anders."

Storm: "Leon Kingsley." The teen doesn't move to shake hands but his posture and facial expressions aren't hostile.

gman391 g.: "An Kun Zhi."

James (GM): "Nice to meet yeh."

gman391 g.: He nods.

James (GM): (If you don't have a good idea of what she looks like, she's a Carbink Faunus. Her hair gathers around her shoulders and lower face like a carbink's fluff, and she has their eyes and ears.

Storm: ahhh

James (GM): "So... ah... what'dya reckon the initiation test is gunna be?"

gman391 g.: "Difficult"

Storm: Leon shrugs. "Dunno. Big group melee maybe? Survival test? face down a bunch of Sparks?"
He shrugs and sits down on one of the desks. "Can't decide best way to react without info. No info, no point in making up scenarios. Get too worried, make mistakes."

James (GM): "They wouldn't sic a bunch of fullgrown Sparks on us, would they?" She actually looks panicked now.

Iris Irengard: Iris doesn't look up from where he is sitting, holding the cookie for Serena.
"I really doubt it."

gman391 g.: He shrugs.

Capella Canto: Capella gets up and heads over to teh group with his Swinub "I think even Glimmer thinks that would be overkill."

Iris Irengard: "It's an initiation. Not a massacre. Be kind of pointless to throw something we can't do at us right off the bet." he says as his pokemon messily devours her treat.

Storm: "Don't know. Just a possibility. Remote, but still plausible until more variables identified and discarded."

gman391 g.: "Strive forward, all you can do"

James (GM): "Ah... Ah guess. It's how Ah got this far. Hard work, honesty, and perseverance. Maybe thi-"

She's interrupted by the TV returning to the Headmaster's image.
"I'm glad to see you've settled in, but I'm going to have to ask you to sit at the desks. Your first lesson is about to begin." His is a face of mirth, like he's thinking of the punchline to a joke that hasn't been said yet.

Storm: "Variable one." Leon's face tugs into a slight smirk, as he takes a proper seat at the desk he was perched on.

Capella Canto: Capella sits at a nearby desk with his Swinub

Capella sits at a nearby desk with his swinub

gman391 g.: In a smooth motion, An Kun gets up from the floor and walks to a desk and sits down at it. The Honedge hanging around his lazily.

James (GM): "Now, we are passing over the Flaxen Desertscape, about a day's travel from Flaxen City itself. For some of you, this is your first time out here. It's a treacherous landscape. The Pitch travel along these sands like they own the place... which is a fair claim, though I would hope you'd be up to disputing it."

Iris Irengard: Iris rolls his eyes and drags himself to his feet, taking the first open seat he finds.

Storm: Leon is paying extreme attention to what the Professor is saying. It's actually a little creepy.

James (GM): "I'm sure you've been muttering amongst yourselves about the nature of this initiation test for a while. Let me clear things up. We will be dropping you here, with the simplest of tasks - get back to Flaxen City."

"It is by this test that we determine your skillsets, and how you will determine your teams."

gman391 g.: Raised eyebrow.

James (GM): "The contents of your team will likely shape your time here, and it is thus very important."
"That said, we will be conducting this by the most ancient of rituals - eye contact. The first student you make eye contact with after landing will be your first teammate."

Storm: Leon is looking apprehensive now.

James (GM): "WHAT NO OH GOD"

Storm: Leon whips around to look at who shouted.

James (GM): The professor ignores that outburst, and continues on his speech.

Iris Irengard: Iris continues to nom a cookie.

James (GM): "After that, you will continue as a pair, fighting through any opposition in your way. Eventually, you'll likely meet a second duo, thus completing your team. Are there any questions?"

Storm: "How are we being deployed? Jumping, or some other method?"

Capella Canto: "I have a terrible feeling."

James (GM): "Some... other method. Oh, and before I forget. There is a bag between each of your seats. It contains all the provisions you'll need for 24 hours in the desert. I would suggest you collect them now."

Storm: Leon's hand flashes out to grab the bag next to him.

Capella Canto: Capella grabs his bag and holds on to Stark tightly

gman391 g.: Tossing the bag on his shoulder, An Kun holds up his hand, and the Honedge slides into his grip, it's ribbon wrapping along his arm.

James (GM): "Now... off you go."

The roof snaps open, and your desks are ejected.

Iris Irengard: Iris slings his bag over one shoulder, and Serena latches onto the hood of his jacket. "I have a bad feelin-I WAS RIGHT."

gman391 g.: An Kun coils his legs in preparation for the launch.

James (GM): "AAAHHHHH"

"YEAAAAAAHHHH!"

"THIS IS MY FAVORITE PARRRRTTT!"

Capella Canto: "Welp, I was almost right." is launched

Storm: Leon barely had time to secure the bag, while his Clauncher had once again vanished beneath his poncho, before being launched. "THIS IS A NON-OPTIMAL METHOOOOOOD!!!!"

James (GM): You are flying horizontally now, in various directions, as you and your fellow trainees are scattered for MILES.

Capella Canto: Capella immediatly goes about the buisnes of slowing down

Iris Irengard: Iris is thinking about how this is the second time in as many weeks he's been hurled to his doom.

James (GM): Temp, you see a small, bird-like Pitch in your flight path as your seat disintegrates beneath you.

gman391 g.: An-Kun looks down and then towards Feng, Well this is going to be difficult. He waits for his descent to slow before putting his plan in action.

Iris Irengard: Who if any of us are headed in the direction of the city?

Storm: Gathering his legs under him, Leon pushes off of the seat of his desk as hard as he can... "SIMO, 47 DEGREES!" A blast of water slams out from beneath his poncho as Simo fires off a Watergun, aimed directly at the Pitch. The blast of water also has the added benefit of altering his trajectory.

James (GM): Gman, there's good news and bad news.
The good news is that you're headed for a oasis.
The bad news is that you will hit a tree if nothing is done.
Head on.

Game, you're headed for a fairly large sand dune. There's a oasis within view, and you can see someone flying straight for it.

Iris Irengard: No one is close enough to make out details, right?

James (GM): Nope. You can't see the city in any direction.

And Drych is heading directly for a cactus field.

Can you roll accuracy for that attack, Temp?

Storm: rolling d20= 6
AC is 2, so if it has an evasion of 4 or less that's a hit

James (GM): The water gun is a direct hit.

Capella Canto: "Ok, ok, I think I have an idea. See you in a bit Stark I need both hands for this." After recalling Stark to his ball he creates a block of ice to create drag and slow himself down and put something between himself and the cactus

Storm: 30 points special damage then
water typed if that helps

James (GM): It's a OHKO!
The Pitch disentigrates on impact.

Storm: Looking past the pitch, what can Leon see as his probable landing zone?

Iris Irengard: "HANG ON TIGHT SERENA. AND NO MUSIC DAMN IT!" He yells, and pulling his goggles into place, closes his eyes, mentally struggling to remain calm, and pokes an area of his being he likes to pretend doesn't exist if he can help it.

James (GM): Serena sings anyway. (Plays Raising Heart Set Up on Roll20's music player)

gman391 g.: An Kun swings the honedge around in an arc by the ribbon, before twisting his body to the side to avoid the tree proper. Feng the proceeds to pull An Kun down the tree with Shadow Sneak and return to his hand as the young man runs down the tree to the oasis.

He looks around to see if anyone needs help.

James (GM): An Kun lands safely.
And everyone sees a shining bright light. And hears girly music playing.

Capella Canto: "What the hell?"

James (GM): Leon sees sand. The shining light is directly ahead.

Capella slows his descent, and the ice wall slams into the cacti, destroying them easily.

Iris Irengard: Iris scowls as soon as it's done, and calls the wind to control his decent. He might not be capable of high altitude flight, but his ability to levitate allows him to easily turn his decent into a controlled glide, using the speed to cover ground quickly.

Storm: "Simo, 45 degrees direct, and keep the pressure high!" Once again a watergun blasts out, this time aimed at the ground. And it keeps on coming as the Clauncher attempts to slow their descent. Or at least dampen the sand enough to make the landing less painful.

James (GM): Annnnd Leon lands safely.

Capella Canto: Staggering off the remains of his landing pad Capella briefly looks around for anything else in the area before turning Stark loose again "Well, that was weirdly fun."

James (GM): With Iris's landing as a shining rainbow streak, everyone's made it safely to the ground. Iris simply comes to a stop above the sand, and plops the last few inches down.

gman391 g.: "Thank you"
"Hone"

Iris Irengard: The moment he hits the ground Iris kills the transformation, glancing around hurriedly in an attempt to make sure no one saw it. He pulls his goggles up his forehead, and pulls Serena out of his hood.

Storm: Leon carefully checks himself and Simo over for possible injuries, then shoulders his bag and heads towards where the bright light had come from.

Iris Irengard: "I hate you, so much right now."

She rolls her eyes, expression totally saying "Bitch, you love me, don't deny it."

gman391 g.: (Where'd that faunus go?)

James (GM): (Flung to the distant corners of the desert. Very. Very far away.)

Capella Canto: Stark looks around and snuffles the ground a bit before snorting "Swi." in a disapproving tone. "Yeah I know, you don't like the desert, or being launched out of a ship at high speed, I kinda have to agree with ya."

James (GM): (Though even she could see the transformation.)

(If you were in the desert, you saw the lightshow.)

gman391 g.: "Hone?"
"It's nothing...let's go forward."
An Kun stops for a moment to get water from the oasis before walking toward the city.

Iris Irengard: "...fine. But I'm still mad at you." The Togetic shrugs, and he sighs as he looks around. "Guess we better figure out where we are. To higher ground, I guess."
And he heads up the sanddune, hoping to catch some indication of the direction he needs to go.

Storm: Leon pauses to take in the surroundings. Is this desert flat, or are there tons of huge dunes?

James (GM): Gman, roll survival to try and figure out which direction the city is in.
Lots of dunes.

Capella Canto: brb

James (GM): (In fact, if you're not heading for a landmark I've given, you should all make Survival checks)

gman391 g.: rolling 2d6+2= 9

Iris Irengard: I climbed the sanddune you mentioned. Not trying to go anywhere, yet.

James (GM): An Kun heads off, following his best judgement.

Storm: rolling 1d6+2= 3

James (GM): (The lightshow counts as a landmark.)
At the top of the sand dune, Iris sees a rather demolished cactus field in one direction, and a distant oasis in the other.

Capella Canto: (back)

Iris Irengard: "Cactus or Oasis. What ever will I choose. Pfft. Come on girl."
He heads toward the oasis.

Capella Canto: Capella looks for landmarks
rolling 3d6+2= 16

James (GM): Capella can also see the oasis. He also saw where the lightshow landed.

Capella Canto: "I think I could use some water, waht about you Stark?" Stark rolls his eyes and flatly says "Swinub."

Storm: Leon is still headed for the lightshow's landing point

Capella Canto: "lets go then." Capella picks Stark up and starts walking.

gman391 g.: An Kun looks at something and shrugs. walking toward it.

James (GM): After a while, Leon reaches his destination...
Roll Survival to find any sign of the source.

Storm: rolling 1d6+2= 5

James (GM): Nothing. Though you do see the oasis and the cacti garden. Also, a sandstorm's riled itself up in this area. The trees in the oasis are blocking the worst of it in that area, though.
Also. Roll Perception.

Storm: rolling 3d6+3= 18
rolling 3d6+3= 12
first was Leon, second was Simo

James (GM): You see... creatures... working their way through the sand.

Storm: rolling 3d6+3= 13
Edu Occult

James (GM): They're definitely the Pitch. These particular ones are using the guise of Sandile.
There's a tremor beneath your feet.

Storm: Leon rolls to the side

James (GM): Nothing comes up where you were standing.

Storm: "Simo, target the closest." Leon reaches under his poncho and produces his blades.

James (GM): (Everyone can see this, even those who are just now walking into the Oasis.) A gargantuan... THING flies out of the sand.

Storm: (is it initiative time?)

James (GM): Far, far away.

gman391 g.: (Has wandered up to a tower without doors, and is trying to climb it.)
rolling 4d6+2= 9

James (GM): But getting closer. It's definitely a Pitch... bigger than a Wailord...
Some kind of serpent.

It roars, and the desert shakes.

Storm: Leon takes deep breath... and focuses on the problem he can actually deal with right now.

Iris Irengard: "Oh...screw that."

James (GM): Okay, Init in this is apparently down to just who has the highest speed.

Iris Irengard: Wait, are wwe all around this, or just him?

James (GM): No. Iris and Capella have just arrived in the oasis.

gman391 g.: rolling 3d6+2= 14 (Fails harder at climbing.)

James (GM): Alright, your move.

Storm: Leon takes his daggers and presses the hilts together. With a series of whirs and clicks, the two blades expand and reshape... until he's holding a heavy-duty sniper rifle. Bringing it up to his shoulder, he takes aim at the second-farthest Pitch-dile. "Calculating trajectory... fire."
rolling d20= 4
Clean Shot
AC is 2, does the fast Pitch-dile have evasion greater than 2?

James (GM): Nope.

Storm: then it's a hit. 31 normal physical damage before defenses.

James (GM): Despite the form it's taken, it seems especially unfond of that attack.
Super effective. (Pitch only pretend to be Pokemon, and often only have wonky Type Weaknesses)

Storm: ((pleasebedeadpleasebedeadpleasebedead...))

James (GM): It collapses... and starts to disappate.

Storm: "Simo, engage." The Clauncher scuttles down Leon's leg and then moves up a small dune to get a proper bead on his opponent, before opening fire with yet another water gun."
rolling d20= 12
30 points special water damage

James (GM): That's enought.

Iris Irengard: Iris trudges his way into the oasis, before finding a convienent tree to sit under.
"Alright, let's check out what we got to work with here, Serena."

Storm: ((target was the closest pitch-dile, just so you know))

James (GM): That leaves the last one.
It crawls up close... then burrows into the sand, vanishing.

Capella Canto: Capella arrives at teh Oasis and looks around "Ok, we dont have a lo of time before teh SAndstorm gets into full swing.Stark."

James (GM): Back to you, Temp.

Storm: Leon disassembles his rifle into dagger forms once again, and holds them ready. "Be prepared. Strike when it appears." Simo clacks his claws in acknowledgement. (basically both of us are holding action until the pitch-dile shows up again.)

James (GM): It pops up between you, spraying sand everywhere.
rolling d20= 20
What.

Storm: (Roll20 hates players and loves GMs)

(So, did it just hit us both with Dig?)

James (GM): Yeah.
Burst 1.

Storm: (at least Simo is taking standard damage thanks to Shell Armor)
(so, how bad?)

James (GM): Base damage is 19+18.
rolling 19+18
19+18= 37

Storm: (so that's 28+18. Shit)
(for a crit you double the damage base, not the stat modifier)

James (GM): (noted.)
So now it's your turn again, unless you're down.

Storm: Both Simo and Leon are horribly scored by the flying debris, but they both work through the pain, and attempt to kill the bastard.
rolling d20= 2

James (GM): Miss.
Storm: Leon's aim is off due to the pain and his daggers sink into sand.
rolling d20= 3
(point-blank water gun. AC is 2)

James (GM): Also a miss.

Storm: Simo's atack splatters harmlessly into the sand...
So, since those were held actions, it's Leon's turn again, right?

James (GM): Yeah.
that's right, held actions.
Wait.
Wait.
You're using two daggers, right?

Storm: (yes)

James (GM): Remember, you get to reroll using the offhand. (We had had this whole discussion regarding Dual Wielding rules, which are somewhat vague in the edition of PTU we're using, and somewhat silly in the newer edition, in our opinion. So we rulezeroed.)

Storm: rolling d20= 4

James (GM): Minus... 2.. penalty.
If I remember right.
But yeah, that's also a miss.

Storm: (so another miss either way)

James (GM): But you still have your turns.

Storm: Before Leon can attempt a second lunge, Simo blasts forward, surrounded by a corona of watery energy. (priority Aqua Jet attack)
rolling d20= 14

James (GM): And that hits.
It is super effective.

Storm: 23 physical water damage

James (GM): That after SE?

Storm: (no, base damage)

James (GM): 46, right? double damage?

Storm: (the multiplier happens after you deduct their defenses)

James (GM): 32 damage...
The Pitch growls at the hit.
Its menacing red eyes are filled with ire at Simo.

Storm: Leon stabs at the thing desperately
rolling d20= 20
HAH!

James (GM): HAHAHAH

Storm: 23 points normal physical

James (GM): That's plenty.
The last of them begins to fade.

Storm: Leon pulls out one of the bandages he'd brought along and wraps up one of the rounds the Dig attack had inflicted. "Need to find water, maybe shelter. Oasis best chance."
Pulling his poncho tight around him and stopping only to pick up Simo and settle the wounded mon on his shoulder, he begins to trek towards the oasis.

James (GM): Oh, also, take Sandstorm damage.

Storm: (how many rounds will it take to get to the oasis? Because Leon and Simo both won't last more than a few.)

James (GM): Moving carefully, you can make a Survival Check to avoid the damage.

Storm: (welp, I'm dead)
rolling d6+2= 4

James (GM): You've blacked out.

Storm: (I didn't mean that literally, I've got about four or five rounds till I get ko'd. Going to recall Simo so he's not damaged by the sandstorm.)

James (GM): Hmmm.
I'd say you eventually make it almost to the Oasis before collapsing.
Can Simo pull you the rest of the way?

Storm: (no, he's not nearly powerful enough, even scrawny as I am)

James (GM): Well.

Storm: (he's also got less HP than I do at the moment)

James (GM): Luckily, falling down like that means the sand's not going to hurt you furhter.
Though it might bury you.
Or a Pitch could come.

Storm: Or a wild mon could decide to pull the tasty morsel clsoer to its home inthe oasis

James (GM): Heh.

gman391 g.: Sword by his side An Kun returns to the oasis. (After encountering the giant serpent from earlier he finally fumbled his way back here.)

James (GM): Roll Perception.
(asking that of GMan, You guys can roll Survival to find a safe path through the sandstorm)

gman391 g.: rolling 3d6+1= 10

Iris Irengard: rolling 2d6= 5

Capella Canto: rolling 3d6+2= 7

James (GM): You guys are terrible.

Iris Irengard: I've lived in the city my entire life, and it's not like camping is a thing!

James (GM): :P
Luckily, Iris has Go Goggles, right?

Iris Irengard: He bought them because they hide his eyes when he's transformed. He had no idea they would be handdy here.

James (GM): Yayyy convienence
Capella takes 20% of his HP in Sandstorm Damage before the party finds a half-dead guy half buried by sand.

Capella Canto: I knew I forgot something when getting gear

James (GM): He can now roll another Survival check.

Capella Canto: rolling 3d6+2= 9

gman391 g.: Sitting at the edge of the oasis, An Kun takes a drink

Capella Canto: Better, not great but better

James (GM): Good enough.

Capella Canto: "I think we found him Iris."

Iris Irengard: "Alright, here, you get that arm, lets get his ass back to the oasis, and get out of this sandstorm."
He bends down and begins digging, working him loose from the layer of sand drifted over the top of him.

James (GM): You manage to find a safe way to travel through the sandstorm. On the way, you see that serpent again.
If you looked closely through those goggles, there's a single spear rammed into its side.
Someone fought that thing alone. It didn't end well.

Iris Irengard: "Yeah...screw that."
"I don't know about you but I don't want anything to do with that thing. Let's go."

Capella Canto: "Agreed."

James (GM): You eventually get back to the Oasis... and find some guy sitting there. Hey, haven't you seen him before?

Storm: Leon lets out a low moan of pain as he's moved. Sand is caked to a nasty gash along his torso.

Capella Canto: "I hope someones a medic."

Iris Irengard: "Barking up the wrong tree there, man. I mean, I've got some potions and stuff, and a bandage or two just in case but I'm not a medic or anything."

gman391 g.: "My apologies."
"I have a first aid kit, but no training for something like this"

James (GM): And of course the only Medic is the one to be nearly killed.
Well, the sandstorm's only getting worse out there.
And night is coming.

Iris Irengard: I thought we were back at the Oasis.

James (GM): You are.
I'm talking about outside the oasis.
So this is probably the best location to rest for the night.

Storm: (Medic? Me? LOL)

James (GM): (You're the closest thing!)

Storm: Leon's eyes crack open as he's dragged into the oasis. "Who...?"
He seems disoriented and weak.

gman391 g.: "Rest"

James (GM): (You are the only one with any points in medicine.)

Storm: "Potions in pouch with green buckle..." Just that much seems to have pushed Leon nearly to his limit.

Iris Irengard: "What good is that gonna do, can't use potions on humans. Screw it. We aren't going anywhere with the sand blowing around like that. We should probably bunker down here."

James (GM): (Er....)
"Potions and other Basic Restoratives can be
used on Pokémon and Humans alike to repair
damaged tissue and seal wounds."

(One "What the..." moment comparing PTA and PTU later...)

James (GM): Okay. so... after some time and potions, Leon is awake and combat capable... but has some wounds that will need time to actually mend.

Storm: Leon also uses one of his potions to treat Simo, and applies a bandage to the poor Clauncher's bruised and battered shell as well.

James (GM): So the group makes semi-introductions before falling asleep.
And with that... the folks you'll be spending your time at Glimmer Academy with are decided.
We'll see if that's a good thing or not.

Iris Irengard: I guess we can just skip that...

James (GM): We can go more indepth with it next session, if you guys want.
I just wanna iterate that something was accomplished.
Kinda.
After much finagling.
:P


Edited Narrative Version:
Spoiler: show
In the beginning, when Man rose from obscurity, strong, ingenious, and resourceful, their world was a cruel, harsh place, determined to reduce them to ashes. Creatures of deepest evil surrounded them... Though Man was able to even the odds, for a time, using skills and tools of extraordinary power... they could not turn the tide that closed in on them.

But in their darkest hour, Man was saved, by shining incarnations of these monsters.

Though most could not speak, those that could introduced themselves, saying that once, they and Man had a long history, working together, fighting together, and living together. These guardian creatures said that in those days... Man called them Pokemon.

It has been many ages since that day. Mankind and their Pokemon allies carved homes, and forged towers and castles... and shone their light on the world, pushing back the Darkness that even now forms into twisted shadows of their comrades.

In the Flaxen City, there is an Academy dedicated to the defense of Man and Pokemon from the darkness. Suitable to their task of being lights in the darkness, Man has dubbed this place… Glimmer. Here, the strongest warriors, the greatest trainers, and the finest minds join to become Sparks, the brightest lights of Man… their most stalwart defenders.

Today is the day of Initiation, in which the newest students of Glimmer undergo a test to ensure their place among Sparks. A ship sits at the edge of Glimmer’s campus, and students climb aboard, awaiting the duty that will be asked of them.

The inside of the ship is a rather cozy affair, with several desks in the middle, a TV running the news in the back, and two services on the left side of the ship: a Pokemon Center run by a young redheaded man nearest to the back of the vessel, and a weapons maintenance station manned by a rugged old coot with all of his limbs replaced with prosthetic ones.

A rather lithe man in classical, flowing martial arts robes sits crosslegged on the other side of the ship, his long hair slipping down his back and a Jian-shaped Honedge in his lap. The single eye of the ghost type swivels about, almost as though tracking the area.

A scrawny, tiny teen walks up the gangway. His blotted grey poncho ceases to flap in the wind as he enters the ship proper, and he pushes a few strands of greyed hair back into his monochrome bandana. A rare spot of color – blue – pokes its head from under the poncho. One could be forgiven for mistaking the Clauncher as a backpack, until it moves about.

The two eye the location warily as another student walks past him, dwarfing him with his height. He sets a book back in his messenger bag, brushing a finger against the pelt hanging from his belt. The pelt is likely of the same source as the trim on his tank top and boots, into which his pants are tucked in. Destroying his image of cold calculation is the snoring Swinub he’s holding under one arm.

A skinny looking guy dressed in a simple black shirt, jeans and boots, with a holster holding an oversized revolver on his left hip leans against a wall near the TV, watching it idly.

A Togetic that has apparently decided to make a nest out of his hair snoozes atop his head, which he puts up with in a rather grand display of long suffering.

"In local news, pandemonium in The Roost Tower today, as a new Pokemon Egg was found in the Shock Wing."

"Why, that sounds absolutely shocking, Jill."

"Isn't it, though, Dan!? It's been 19 years since an event like this. The egg was found in the care of Ohm, the oldest of our Zapdos at 219 years old as of last week, and Rila, a local 7-year old Pidgeotto. Both parents are fine, though Rila appears to be rather tired from the whole ordeal, and Ohm is very protective of her."

"This May-December Romance is touching to the heart."

"Experts are saying there's a distinct chance that we'll be seeing another High-Bird coming out of the egg, and are definitely interested in how things progress from here. The lucky Pidgeotto's trainer, Zack, had this to say:"

"It's like, I really can't believe this! This is happening? This is happening. Holy cow- I'm, I'm just so happy for Rila. I'mma gonna be a grandpa!"

"People are flocking from all over Flaxen City to view the Egg, but the caretakers of The Roost Tower ask you to please not ruffle your feathers over this - there will be plenty of time to view the egg before it hatches, and we don't want to distu-"

Suddenly, the newscast shifts to reveal the image of Professor Root: a rather peaceful looking man, despite his position. The scrawny kid simply leans back slowly, the Clauncher that had been clinging to his back scuttling onto his shoulder as he sits down against the wall. The poncho rides up, exposing a belt of pouches, and a pair of what appear to be mechanized daggers at the small of his back. Both boy and mon's gazes are locked on the screen.

"Good afternoon, everyone, I am Prof. Root, Headmaster of Glimmer. I'm pleased to know so many of you have made it this far." He pauses. "...However. I must warn you. While your accomplishments thus far are truly extraordinary, this is not an easy path to walk. Those of you here solely for profit should turn back now, pick a safer profession. Like police work. There is little profit in dying.

"Some of you have come because you seek answers to a question, deep or shallow, or wish to test your skills. Others are here because they feel it will... give them a higher cause to serve. And yet others are here because they believe that traveling the world will help them in some way.... And then there are those who are here because... Well, that's what they're here to find out. They're directionless, and hope that the lessons we teach here will clear them of this malady.

"I say this now: this school cannot help you in these endeavors. Nor will Crimsoncloth, or The Tower. The things you have come for... are not ours to give. What you came here seeking, you must find and grasp for yourself. It is up to you to take the first step, whatever it may be."

Looking down at the Honedge, the lithe warrior simply nods, as the fur-clothed man simply rolls his eyes as he sets his Swinub down.

"If this does not bother you, and you still wish to walk THIS path... then we welcome you with open arms. If you can find what you seek of your own accord, then I'm certain the light you shine on your path will do well, faced against the Pitch black that haunts our world.

"We will be departing shortly. To all of you, whether you stay with us or leave, I wish you luck."

The screen flickers out, before returning to the news.

The white haired boy looks unsure of himself after such a speech, arms folded and staring at the floor. He closes his eyes, and swallows.

"I dunno about this, girl." he says, the Togetic yawning as he shifts, then looking down at him. She chirps, patting the top of his head reassuringly. He smiles weakly. "At least one of us is sure, huh?"

Despite the warning Professor Root offered, no one leaves, and the ship takes off, not a single student lighter than it was before the speech. The initiates turn and start to converse with each other, often breaking the ice with chatter about the oddity of the Headmaster’s speech.

The white-haired boy slides down the wall to take a seat on the floor, digging in his bag as he does. The Togetic perks up at this movement, and squeaks happily as he produces a plastic baggy of cookies. She hops down from his head, into his lap, and he laughs as he pulls one out for each of them. "Yeah, I thought that'd get your attention. I need a little something sweet right now. And you're always hungry. Ya glutton. Heh."

The scawny kid kips to his feet, the Clauncher clinging to the poncho with the ease of long practice. Looking around, he walks over to the kid with the Honedge. "Hey... you know if they got food here?" The teen's voice is a rasp, low and buzzing.

Looking around the boy shrugs. "No, I brought my own."

"Ah thought I saw a fancy table with grub over there," comes a somewhat muffled voice as a redhead with creepily bright blue eyes says through the hair bundled up around her mouth. Based on the rather dirt-stained pants, flannel top, and the accent, the Carbink Faunus hails from the farming district. The grey-clad teen freezes as she approaches him, and the Clauncher has already drawn a bead on her, watching warily. "Er, uh. Dinnint mean no harm."

The swordsman sits between them, bemused.

"Not good to sneak up on people you don't know." The teen has relaxed fractionally, while the Clauncher has shut his claw with a reverberating SNAP.

"Sorry bout that. Out in the farming district, it's only polite to help folks out." She scratches at one of her long, stone-like ears. "Name's... uh... Moonshine. Moonshine Anders."

"Leon Kingsley." The teen doesn't move to shake hands but his posture and facial expressions aren't hostile.

"An Kun Zhi," the swordsman supplies.

"Uh… Nice to meet yeh." She kicks at the ground awkwardly. "So... ah... what'dya reckon the initiation test is gunna be?"

"Difficult." An Kun says.

Leon shrugs. "Dunno. Big group melee maybe? Survival test? Face down a bunch of Sparks?" He shrugs and sits down on one of the desks. "Can't decide best way to react without info. No info, no point in making up scenarios. Get too worried, make mistakes."

"They wouldn't sic a bunch of fullgrown Sparks on us, would they?" Moonshine actually looks panicked now. The white-haired boy raises an eyebrow from where he’s sitting, and interjects even as he teases his Togetic with a cookie. The fairy grabs the treat from him, pouting.

"I really doubt it."

"Yeah, I think even Glimmer thinks that would be overkill," the fur-clad boy chimes in.

“Er, uh…”

“Name’s Iris. Iris Irengard.” The white-haired boy supplies.

“Capella Canto,” the furred lad adds.

“Um, nice to make yer acquaintance.

“Likewise…” Iris nods. "Anyway, it's an initiation. Not a massacre. Be kind of pointless to throw something we can't do at us right off the bet." The white haired boy says as his Pokémon messily devours her treat.

Leon shrugs. "Don't know. Just a possibility. Remote, but still plausible until more variables identified and discarded."

"Strive forward,” An Kun says. “ It’s all you can do."

"Ah... Ah guess. It's how Ah got this far. Hard work, honesty, and perseverance. Maybe thi-" She's interrupted by the TV returning to the Headmaster's image.

"I'm glad to see you've settled in, but I'm going to have to ask you to sit at the desks. Your first lesson is about to begin." His is a face of mirth, like he's thinking of the punchline to a joke that hasn't been said yet.

"Variable one." Leon's face tugs into a slight smirk, as he takes a proper seat at the desk he is perched on, followed by the other recruits.

"Now, we are passing over the Flaxen Desertscape, about a day's travel from Flaxen City itself. For some of you, this is your first time out here. It's a treacherous landscape. The Pitch travel along these sands like they own the place... which is a fair claim, though I would hope you'd be up to disputing it… Now, I'm sure you've been muttering amongst yourselves about the nature of this initiation test for a while. Let me clear things up. We will be dropping you here, with the simplest of tasks - get back to Flaxen City. It is by this test that we determine your skillsets, and how you will determine your teams.”

An Kun raises an eyebrow, as Capella pays almost insane attention to the Headmaster.

"The contents of your team will likely shape your time here, and it is thus very important…” He smiles at a dramatic pause. "That said, we will be conducting this by the most ancient of rituals - eye contact. The first student you make eye contact with after landing will be your first teammate."

"WHAT NO OH GOD!" cries a student in the back, drawing some attention to him. The professor ignores that outburst, and continues on his speech, and Iris nonchalantly works on a cookie.

"After that, you will continue as a pair, fighting through any opposition in your way. Eventually, you'll likely meet a second duo, thus completing your team. Are there any questions?"

"How are we being deployed? Jumping, or some other method?" Leon asks.

"I have a terrible feeling,” Capella notes as the Headmaster’s grin widens a little.

"Some... other method. Oh, and before I forget. There is a bag between each of your seats. It contains all the provisions you'll need for 24 hours in the desert. I would suggest you collect them now." There is a quick shuffling as most of the students immediately grab for the bags. "Now... off you go."

Iris slings his bag over one shoulder, and Serena latches onto the hood of his jacket. "I have a bad feelin-“

The sensation of the Spark Wonder Launcher activating is immediate, as the roof opens and the desks are launched in several directions at several hundred miles per hour, the weak materials disintegrating under the feet of the Sparks-to-be as they prepare to leap into action.

“I WAS RIGHT!” Choruses Iris and Capella as they are sent flying at absurd speeds – the kind that most humans couldn’t hope to survive. “HANG ON, SERENA! AND NO SINGING!”

"THIS IS A NON-OPTIMAL METHOOOOOOD!!!!" Leon screams.

------------------------

"Ok, ok, I think I have an idea. See you in a bit, Stark. I need both hands for this." Capella returns his Pokemon to the Pokeball and starts the process of slowing himself down, summoning walls of ice and leaping to them, riding the last and largest one down, slamming into and cutting a path of destruction through a small field of cacti, covering what isn’t destroyed in powder snow. He surveys the damage he’s caused as he releases Stark. "…Well, that was weirdly fun." Stark looks around and snuffles the ground a bit before snorting in a disapproving tone. "Yeah I know, you don't like the desert, or being launched out of a ship at high speed, I kinda have to agree with ya."

Meanwhile, An Kun swings his Honedge by the ribbon, spinning in an arc and slowing his descent enough for him to land safely on a tree in an oasis, the Honedge embedded about the trunk. It lasts only a second, though, as the spirit blade pulls the two of them down to earth safely in a shadowy blur. “… Thanks, Feng Yin.”

“Hooone.”

---------------

Leon leaps from his desk at the last minute, his Clauncher clinging to him as he sees some kind of small, bird-like Pitch flying in his path. “Simo! 47 degrees!” The Pokemon shoots a single blast of water, which is moving at such speeds that it’s steaming, and vaporizes the Pitch with a single blow. He grits his teeth. "Simo, 45 degrees direct, and keep the pressure high!" This time, the water that comes is a single large stream, which dampens the sand and slows Leon’s descent. “… Whew.”

---------------

Iris pulls his goggles into place, closing his eyes as he pokes at a piece of his being that… he’d really rather pretend doesn’t exist, as despite his request his Pokemon begins to sing… His clothes explode into a maelstrom of light and color, his body a sparkling silhouette. The lights that were his clothes form into wings, which gather themselves closed around him protectively, the places they touch becoming covered in pants, boots, a shirt, and a bomber jacket. The wings then spread out, forming into the twin tails of a scarf that appears to be made from rainbows.

With a spin, the silhouette effect explodes away, though his hair billows in a wind completely separate from the gale force winds blowing in his face, shining and shifting in waves between seven colors. He gathers the wind about his legs, slowing his descent to a mere crawl, landing easily on the ground. “Hope no one saw that…” He turns towards his Togetic, who has just now finished singing. "I hate you, so much right now." She rolls her eyes and gives him a teasing smirk. "...Fine. But I'm still mad at you." The Togetic shrugs, and he sighs as he looks around. "Guess we better figure out where we are. To higher ground, I guess." He heads up the sanddune, hoping to catch some indication of the direction he needs to go.

At the top of the sand dune, Iris sees a rather demolished cactus field in one direction, and a distant oasis in the other. "Cactus or Oasis. What ever will I choose… Pfft. Come on girl."

He heads toward the oasis.

----------------------

Leon stares as the lightshow vanishes, then carefully checks himself and Simo over for possible injuries. Content that he and his Pokemon are safe, he shoulders his bag and heads towards where the bright light had landed.

------------------

"Hone?" Feng Yin blinks as An Kun looks at the sparkling lights vanish.

"It's nothing...let's go forward." An Kun stops for a moment to get water from the oasis heading out, not entirely sure where the city is in relation to the oasis.

----------------

Capella looks about, seeing a distant Oasis. He then turns his gaze to where the lightshow ended… and pauses. Pitch are heading in that direction. Figures… Worse still, it looks like a sandstorm is starting up. Of course. Luckily, the Oasis is forested enough to shield from the worst of the sand. He smirks.

"I think I could use some water, what about you Stark?"

Stark rolls his eyes and flatly says "Swinub."

"Lets go then." Capella picks Stark up and starts walking.

-------

Leon arrives at the sand dune where the light landed, and takes a look around… Unfortunately the desert sands have shifted too much for him to tell where the source of the light went. A destroyed cactus garden, soaked with drying water, sits in one direction, and in the other is a Oasis. He shudders as a sandstorm reaches his location. “Ugh.” He then notices several tiny, crocodile like creatures lurking towards him, scales black as night, red eyes glowing and piercing the sandstorm. “Pitch… pretending to be Sandile.” A tremor shakes the desert, and Leon reflexively jumps to the side. “… Nothing? Then what…”

In the distance, a giant serpent bursts from the ground, larger than even a Wailord, its roar shaking the desertscape.

Leon stares, taking a deep breath as it uses its momentum to fly through the air before gravity finally brings it back down. “… Better to focus on what’s in front of me. That thing’s too far away for now.” He focuses his attention on the Pitch before him. Leon takes his daggers and presses the hilts together. With a series of whirs and clicks, the two blades expand and reshape... until he's holding a heavy-duty sniper rifle. Bringing it up to his shoulder, he takes aim at the second-farthest Pitch-dile. "Calculating trajectory... fire."

------------

Iris trudges his way into the oasis, before finding a convenient tree to sit under. "Alright, let's check out what we got to work with here, Serena."

As he checks his supplies, someone turns round the corner, and the two lock eyes.

"Hello."

Iris blinks, before looking up from the bag he'd been digging through.

"Oh. Uh. Hey."

"You have a partner?"

"I do now, I guess. You’re… Capella, right?”

“Yeah. Iris?”

“Yeah. This is Serena. "

He indicates the Pokémon once more nesting on top of his head, then goes back to digging around in the pack, seeing what all is in there.

"This guy is Stark." Stark is settled on Capella’s head, snoozing as usual.

"Nice to meet you guys. So...I don't suppose you have any idea which was the city is, do you?"

Capella starts going through the supply bag as well. "Not at the moment."

Suddenly, a loud shot pierces the sounds of the sandstorm.

"Well that isn’t good."

"That sounded pretty close… I dunno, what do you think? Should we check it out?"

"Would feel better knowing whoever is shooting is okay."

"I have no idea where we are. Unless you've got any ideas, might be a good idea. Safer in numbers and all - what the hell was that."

"Something way above our pay grade."

Iris quickly repacks his bag and slings it over his shoulder. "God. Okay, as much as I really don't want to know what that was, someone was over there. We better check it out."

"Figured that was the plan."

----------------------

An Kun sighs as he trudges through slightly less sandy dunes.

“Hone.”

“I know.” He peers about, gaining his bearings, and sees a tower in the distance. “Worth a shot.”

Upon closer inspection, the tower has no doors, and there doesn’t seem to be anyone at the top of the tower. An Kun tries to climb it a few times… only to slide back down. The second attempt goes worse, with him falling on his back, eliciting a grunt of pain.

“Hoooonnnee.”

“… You’re right.” He turns to leave… only to walk right into a sandstorm. “… Okay, that’s not my fault.”

The desert rumbles, and he sees a giant serpent rise from the desert, launching itself through the air and landing elsewhere.

“Hooone.”

“… Okay, maybe a little.” He shrugs, and continues his wandering.

A few hours later see him observing a cactus that he’s sure he’s seen before.

"Hone."

"If you have a better idea…" He’s cut off by another tremble, seeing the giant Pitch. “… It’s coming.” It is all he can do to block the attack with an application of mystic defensive energy, as the beast causes a shockwave with its descent, burrowing into the ground once more and sending him flying a great distance. As the dust settles, he rights himself and lands safely. “… Now where am I…?” He looks about, and sees a very familiar Oasis.

"Honnnnneeeee."

"...I know."

----------------

“Good job,” Leon says as all but the last of the Pitch fall. The last one looks at him warily, before vanishing into the sand below. Leon disassembles his rifle into dagger forms once again, and holds them ready. "Be prepared. Strike when it appears." Simo clacks his claws in acknowledgement, sitting near Leon.

Suddenly, the creature bursts from the ground, spraying razor-sharp sand everywhere, cutting deeply into both Leon and Simo.

“Gh…” Leon swipes with his knives, but the creature weaves as it falls, dodging both strikes. Simo launches itself into an Aqua Jet, its claw smashing into the crocodile and slamming it into the ground. With a desperate cry, Leon stabs his blades downwards, piercing the Pitch in what would be its heart, if it were truly a living creature. It cries out, before going limp and beginning to disintegrate.

Leon grimaces as he bandages himself and Simo up. “…Need to find water, maybe shelter. Oasis best chance."

Pulling his poncho tight around him and stopping only to pick up Simo recall him to his Pokeball, he begins working through the sandstorm. It’s a hard trek, with the sand beating down on him, and just when he’s almost there… he collapses. As the sand begins to cover him up, the last thing he sees is two figures walking up to him…

"I think we found him Iris."

"Alright, here, you get that arm, let’s get his ass back to the oasis, and get out of this sandstorm."

-----------------

On the way back to the Oasis, Iris and Capella see the source of the giant roar – a giant serpent. It appears to have done battle with someone… judging by the bloody weapon even now embedded in its skin, the fight didn’t go well for the attacker… after all, Pitch don’t bleed.

"Yeah...screw that." Iris mutters. "I don't know about you but I don't want anything to do with that thing. Let's go."

"Agreed."

The two make it back to the Oasis, only to find someone waiting for them.

“You… An Kun, right?”

“Yeah.”

Leon moans in pain.

"I hope someone’s a medic," Capella mutters.

"Barking up the wrong tree there, man.” Iris says. “I mean, I've got some potions and stuff, and a bandage or two just in case but I'm not a medic or anything."

An Kun shakes his head. "My apologies. I have a first aid kit, but no training for something like this"

Leon's eyes crack open as he’s lain down. "Who...?"

"Rest," An Kun chides.

"… Potions in… pouch with green… buckle..." Leon manages.

“Right.” They get to work.

_________________
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.


May 22nd, 2015, 1:53 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: September 10th, 2011, 4:17 am
Posts: 1013
Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.
Unread post Re: Team PKMN: In which I shamelessly crib from RWBY!
Session 2: The First Step (Or, LEON'S REVENGENCE)

Spoiler: show
James (GM): So, when we last left off, Leon got nearly murdered horribly. Luckily, two of his fellow initiates rescued him and dragged his sorry butt to an oasis. There, they encountered the terribly wayward swordsman, An Kun. After a medicine-fueled reprieve, Leon awakes to find...

gman: An Kun training with his sword

Storm: Leon's awakening is not a gradual thing. There's the slightest tensing of his frame and a hitch in his breathing before it smooths back into a reasonable facsimile of the breathing patterns of someone still asleep. Cracking open his eyes the tiniest bit, he takes in his surroundings, even as his lips purse,the medical tang of potions on his palette telling at least some of what happened.

James (GM): The sandstorm continues to howl, just barely blockaded by the trees of the oasis.

Gman: The swordsman continues his exercises not like there's much else to do

Drychanth: Capella is currently setting up where he is going to sleep

Gamebrain: Iris is seated beneath a tree, leaning back against it's trunk, fiddling awkwardly with the snap on his holster, while Serena nests in his hair.

Storm: Leon gradually sits up, gingerly as the sand that had nearly done him in grinds in his wounds. "You have my thanks. Would have died." He looks around the oasis. "Secure from the Pitch?"

Gman: "Close enough"

Gamebrain: "Anything moving around out in that deserves what it gets."

Storm: "The giant Pitch, anyone get a good look at it?"

Gman: "Serpent"

Storm: "Troubling. Encountered smaller Pitch, based on Sandile. Highly mobile, could burrow through sand with ease." He takes a look around the oasis and gives a small nod. "Root systems from trees make that approach suboptimal. Should still be on guard." He makes a quick headcount. "So, we are to be a team?"

Gman: "Evidently"

Drychanth: "looks that way

Storm: Leon mulls this over, and nods. "Am best at range. Sniper. Simo can switch up, mostly melee at the moment but has some ranged capabilities." He pauses, and actually looks a little sheepish. "Have little experience outside of Glimmer. Survival skills are... not suited to this biome."

Gman: Gestures to Yang Fen.

Drychanth: "I know a bit about survival outside the city, hopefully it will be enough to keep us out of trouble." Capella looks at Leon and An Kun. "Not sure I caught your names earlier, I'm Capella."

Gman: "An Kun Zhi" Holds up the Honedge "Yang Fen"

Storm: "Leon Kingsely." He releases a somewhat battered and bandaged Clauncher. "Simo."

Gamebrain: Iris keeps snapping and unsnapping the catch on his holster, feeling out of his depth. "Iris, and the hat is Serena."

Storm: Leon spritzes Simo with another potion from his dwindling stash, ensuring that the crustacean has some gas in the tank if another fight comes their way. That done, he investigates the pack he'd nabbed before being launched out of the airship.

Drychanth: Once Capella is set up he checks his bag

James (GM): The pack, as stated, has most everything you need for a full day in the desert - enough food supplies and water to last your average traveler a full day. It also has sunscreen, and a pamphlet showing what plantlife is safe to consume, including 500 species of cacti and their juices. (Can give you one extra die when you roll Survival Checks in the desert)

Gamebrain: Which is the quenchiest.

Gman: (But no map)

James (GM): (Of course.)

Gman: (And for reasons I can only attribute to head trauma, we can't remember which way the city was and just go that way)

James (GM): (The plane flew circles to mess your sense of direction up before launching you in various directions. Anywho...)

Storm: "Glimmer is to the west. But will have to wait for the storm to subside to move. Does anyone have a compass?" (remember, Glimmer is directly backed by mountains to the west, so the desert is entirely on its eastern side.)

Gman: (Does the sun set in the west and rise in the east?)

James (GM): (Yes. For a second I wanted to say no, but figured that would be over-complicating things.)

Drychanth: Finding north should be easy enough "Once the storm dies down that is."

Gman: Nods

Gamebrain: "Good. I have no idea which way to go."

James (GM): As the night drags on, you continue to converse, plan, and get to know each other before taking a short rest. Eventually, the sun rises, hotter than ever, the sandstorm cleared and the four of you head out as a team.
(Whenever you're ready)

(You can just ignore this until you have finished character interactioning)

Storm: (does this count as a rest for healing injuries?)

James (GM): Yeah.

Gman: (Wouldn't it make more sense to travel at night?)

Storm: (if someone want's to bring it up, sure)

Gamebrain: (And it's in character for anyone.)

James (GM): (That said, there's still a sandstorm, and Pitch are more violent at night)

Storm: (true, we're not going anywhere until the Sandstorm dies out)

James (GM): (anywho, if you guys are ready, you can keep building character and playing off each other, if you like.)

Gman: (I'm ready)

James (GM): Alright. So... yeah. You head out as a team.
Because the sun's actually in a position you can recognize as rising, you easily figure out which way Flaxon City and Glimmer are.
Roll Survival to handle the scorching rays of the sun (remember you have sunscreen and that gives you an extra die in this situation).

Drychanth: rolling 4d6+2= 15

gman:rolling 3d6+2 = 15

Gamebrain: rolling 3d6+0= 8

Storm: rolling 2d6+2= 9

James (GM): An Kun and Capella succeed. They're able to ensure that they, their Pokemon, and their companions are indeed covering every revealed inch of skin with sunscreen, and find exactly where to walk to ensure the sand dunes shade them from most of the sun.

Gamebrain: Nikolai struggles, unused to this kind of thing, having lived in the city his entire life.
"This freaking sucks."

James (GM): (Er... Nikolai?)

Gamebrain: Iris whatever.

James (GM): (:P)

Gamebrain: Mixed up characters.

James (GM): (Heh.)

Drychanth: "If it wasnt for the Pitch I'd have suggested we travel at night."

Storm: Leon has combined his daggers into their sniper rifle configuration, and is constantly scanning the surrounding dunes for signs of both Pitch and Pokemon. Simo is hiding from the sun's rays beneath his poncho. "Situation is... bearable. Look forward to making it back to Glimmer though."

James (GM): Eventually, you see the tips of mountains over the horizon. Leon, make a Perception Check.

Storm: rolling 3d6+3= 12

Leon holds up his hand for the others to stop. "Spotted others. Faunus girl; Moonshine, with them. Saw... something else. Distortion in the air. Not heat haze. May be mirage, but inconclusive. Greater safety in larger numbers, especially against unknown variables. Suggest rendezvous."

He indicates the direction that the group is in.

Gman: A shrug of acceptance

James (GM): The desert rumbles, and in the distance everyone can see that giant serpent Pitch in all its glory.
It's to the south east... no... southwest, now.

Drychanth: "God dammit."

Storm: (is it in the same direction as the group I just indicated?)

James (GM): (No.)

Gamebrain: Iris swipes at the sweat dripping into his eyes, and sighs. While Serena shelters from the sun in Iris' shadow. "I think- Oh of freaking course."

Storm: (wait, no. The group is to the Northwest.)

Gman: "Nothing for it. Fear later." Over to the other group

Storm: "Rendezvous HIGHLY recommended. Superior numbers, greater force multiplier."

James (GM): (Also, you can roll Occult to ID the creature, now that you've seen it without desert in the way)

Gamebrain: rolling 3d6+2= 9

Storm: rolling 3d6+3= 11

Drychanth: rolling 4d6+2= 16
"Is, is it trying to imitate a Steelix? ...Gotta be a steelix, Even with the spikes and the frankly horrifying size."

Gman: "Regardless, fight if must not want."

Gamebrain: "Really, really not want."

Storm: Leon shakes his head. "Position untenable, combat unadvised."

Drychanth: "I get the feeling it's going to stay between us and the city."

Storm: "Likely. Size indicates extreme age, and probably tactical capability."

Gman: "Kill it if it comes to that."

James (GM): You continue towards the other group, and see Moonshine and what appears to be her team. One's a rather buff girl, whose short hair rolls backwards in imitation of waves. She shows her rather heavily toned body off with a tight tank top. Strange, bladed anklets are strapped to her legs. She leads the pack, singing a marching song as she goes.

Behind her is Moonshine, and behind her is a rather... overweight woman in a traditional shrine maiden getup. Despite her unatheletic-seeming appearance, she's doing fairly well in keeping pace.

In the back of the pack is a stick of a lass in rather fancy clothes for a battlefield. Her top goes down to her hips, and then explodes outwards like a half a ballgown, ending at her knees. Under the half-skirt is another, shorter skirt. There are frills all over this girl. Dainty gloves don her hands, and she glides along on strangely transparent slippers like the heels don't even remotely bother her.

"... Hey, girls, hold up! Looks like we got company!" Moonshine exclaims, and the four of them stop to wait up for you.

The muscular girl is still running in place, though.

Gman: Nods politely.

Gamebrain: Iris is pretty much drenched in sweat, dragging a bit in the back of the group, looking miserable.

Storm: Leon keeps one eye towards the gigantic Pitch even as their team catches up to the others, his sniper rifle held loosely across his chest. He's even more soaked than Iris, but strangely doesn't look quite as bad off. "Good to see you. Curious, what took you in this direction?"

Gman: (brb)

James (GM): "Well, we figured we'd take the direct route to the city gate." The athlete says with a bounce in her voice.

Drychanth: Capella looks uncomfortable from teh heat but nods politely at the other group

Storm: "Saw something in this direction when spotting you. Distortion. Unknown if possible hazard. Safety in numbers recommended." Leon indicates the giant flying Pitch to the southwest with the barrel of his rifle. "Hazards best faced as group." He nods at Capella. "Best theory is it is attempting to cut off access to the city."

Gamebrain: Serena, meanwhile, flits from shadow to shadow, using people for sunshades without shame. Iris drags the bottle out of his bag and takes a drink, but it does little to relieve him.

James (GM): "You don't say." The dressed up girl says, clasping her hands. "Why, thank you for looking after little old us. Why, we could have diiiieeed!"

"Don't be so melodramatic, Ungu." The miko-looking lady sighs, and bows. "That said, we do appreciate the help."

Gamebrain: The togetic glances between her pitiful looking human and the quartet, her expression interested, before fluttering up to Moonshine and squeaking happily.

James (GM): "Well, ain't yeh just a cutie!" Moonshine smiles.

"... Oh, where are our manners!? Let meh introduce yeh!"

"Ah'm Moonshine, this is Obawato."

"Sup!" Obawato is now doing pushups, clapping with each rise.

"I am Nalo, of Vermillion Warshrine. I am honored to make your acquaintance." The shrine-maiden bows low.

James (GM): "And I'm Ungu. Heiress of the Infinite Hourglass Dust Mining."

The fancy girl twirls and curtseys. You're fairly sure she's sparkling.

Gamebrain: Iris waves half heartedly, why Serena immediately zips over to him, perching on his head and striking a pose, arms up in a victory pose. He immediately sighs.

"Iris. And this is Serena."

Storm: "Leon." Simo pokes his head out to see what the fuss is, and then dismisses the women after a once-over, instead opening a claw and spraying Leon's poncho with a misting of water. No wonder he looks so drenched! "And Simo."

Drychanth: "Cappella Canto, this is Stark." He gestures to the Swinub that until a moment agowas lightly snoring on his head

Gman: "An Kun Zhi" Lifts the Honedge. "Yan Feng"

James (GM): "Zhi? Of the Zhi Family?" Nalo asks. "I've heard much about you. We pray often for your family's continued wellbeing."

"What. A. Cutie!" Ungu smiles as she gets up close and personal with Cappella, standing on tiptoes to look at Stark. "Why, I could just eat. you. up."

Gamebrain: Iris notices what Leon has Simo doing, and feels jealousy well up into his heart.

"I hate you a little, Leon."

James (GM): "Eeyyy, can you sprinkle a little of that on me, Leo!?"

Obawato is now doing handstands.

Gman: "Er...yes?" An Kun seems nonplussed.

Drychanth: Stark preens under the attention like a cat. and Cappella removes him from his head

James (GM): "It is an honor to encounter someone from such a distinguished family line." Nalo says. "I am sure my fellow warmaidens will be jealous."

Storm: Leon glances at Simo, one brow raised. The little mon nods, before snapping open his claw and gently hosing down the girl, before turning his aim towards Iris, avoiding getting anyone who hasn't asked for a soaking with the spray.

James (GM): "Thaaanks, dude."

Gman: "I am sure the honour is mine Lady Nalo"

Gamebrain: Iris blinks, and closes his eyes, arms hanging at his side as his hair is plastered to his head. Serena changes her pose, wings spread and standing tiptoe on one foot in the spray of water.

"I take it all back."

Storm: "Apologies, should have offered."

James (GM): Moonshine smirks, a little embarassed. "Well, Ah didn't know what Ah'd be dealing with as far as other folks went, but... Ah don't think I was expecting folks like these."

"I hope that's not a problem, Moonshine..." Ungo says.

"Not at all, missy."

"Okay, intros over. Can we get a move on?"

Gamebrain: Iris blinks, and swears, fumbling at the holster on his left hip.

"Shit, I'm supposed to keep this dry. Gah."

He manages to get it open and withdraws his weapon, trying his best to wipe it dry.

James (GM): Obawato is back to running in place.

Storm: Leon looks a little concerned. "Excessive exercise may cause fatigue in these conditions. Advise slowing pace at the least."

James (GM): "Ah don't think she sleeps," Moonshine mutters.

"Sure, I sleep. It just excercise while sleeping."

Gamebrain: He looks at best, newly introduced to handling the weapon. He appears to know enough to keep the safety on and follows proper barrel control, but that's about it. "...how does that work?"

James (GM): "Mystery fer the ages."

"DETERMINATION"

"Ignoring our companion's... eccentric nature..." Ungu says. "I do agree with her. My makeup will run if we dally any longer."

Gamebrain: Serena chirps and buts up against Obawato's shoulder, looking impressed.

Gman: "Or the Serpent will approach."

Drychanth: "Then we need to consider the giant Pitch over there." Cappella gestures with his free arm towards the snke

Storm: "May be best to investigate distortion. Could be second threat. Limit numbers pitted against us if possible."

Gamebrain: Iris gets his weapon back in order and manages to get it back in the holster. "Whatever gets us out of this freaking desert fastest."

James (GM): All hands, Perception Checks.

Gamebrain: rolling 3d6+3= 14

Gman: rolling 3d6+2= 14

Storm: rolling 3d6+3= 9
(damnit)

Drychanth: rolling 2d6+2= 10

James (GM): rolling 2d6+2= 4
rolling 2d6+1= 11
(Rolling for the ladies who can conceivably make the roll)

The desert rumbles, HARD.

Gman: "Dodge"

Drychanth: "We got something above us."

Gman: An Kun promptly does so.

Drychanth: Cappella imitates the swordsman

James (GM): From the sand comes the giant Pitch. All hands, Acrobatics.

Storm: Leon takes An Kun's advice without a second thought, sprinting to one side
rolling 3d6+2= 12

Drychanth: rolling 2d6+2= 9

Gman: rolling 3d6+2= 14

Gamebrain: rolling 3d6+0= 11

James (GM): You all manage to dodge, easily avoiding the serpent flying across the path you were just at, but are nearly scissored by something attacking from the sky. This time, it doesn't go back into the sand, instead sliding along the desert and turning to face you.

The distortion in the air is dissolved by the sand coming up, revealing a giant flying monstrosity with many tendrils and eyes.

Gman: "...Two Targets, Two Teams."

James (GM): "Well, that's... uh. Sumthin."

Storm: Leon comes up balanced on one knee, looking through his scope and trying to figure out what the HELL the other thing is supposed to be as he alternates between the two targets.
(rolling Edu Occult)
rolling 3d6+3= 12

Gamebrain: Iris dodges in an eerily out of character (for what you've seen) manner, almost as if the air around him is bending to make him faster, he rolls across the ground, and hauls himself to his feet, scrambling .

"Of freaking COURSE there's another one."

Drychanth: Cappella dodges aside and stops a moment to catch his bearings "What the hell!?"

Storm: "Sigilyph!"

James (GM): "We'll take the ugly one!" Obawata exclaims.

"Obawata, they're both ugly."

James (GM): "It is as our swordsman friend says, though." Ungu says. "We should each tackle one of these... monstrosities."

"So, uh... who do yeh wanna take on?" Moonshine asks. "We'll deal with the other."

"OOOOHHH YEAAAAHHH! TIME FOR A GOOD HARD WORKOUT!"

Gamebrain: Iris, eyes wide, looks between the two, trying desperately to find some indication of which would be better to handle.
rolling 3d6+2= 11
Rolling occult.

James (GM): The Sigilyph shoots a laserbeam past you, causing massive explosions behind you.
Luckily, they weren't anywhere close to you.

Gamebrain: "GAH! I don't know! I've got Ground carts, go for the steelix!"

Storm: Leon considers for a seemingly infinite moment, before he finally draws a bead on the serpent. "Flier is greater overall tactical threat. Priority target."

Drychanth: "I vote flying monster."


GM NOTE: (Offscreen, there is more debate, eventually the group settles on Steelix)

Storm: (Leon is speed 15, Simo is speed 7)

Gamebrain: 11 and 4 for Iris/Serena.

Gman: 11/8 An Kun/Yan

Drychanth: 5 for Cappella, 6 for Stark

James (GM): As the serpent charges, you make your decision. Moonshine nods.

"We'll take down the flyer, then." The four leap after it, before all four are enveloped in a shining glow.
"LUNAAAHHH..."

"AREEEESSSS..."

"SEABLUEEEEE..."

"TOOOXXXIIIICCCC..."

"SHIMMERING MIRACLE!"

Gamebrain: Iris stares after them, mouth hanging open for a moment, as Serena's eyes go wide and she starts singing.

"Oh what the fu-"

He's cut off as Serena slaps him upside the head mid swear, and he shakes his head, immediately withdrawing his weapon with one hand and a dust cartridge with the other.

Gman: "Focus."

Storm: Leon ignores the girls for now, focusing completely on the target as he dashes to one side, trying to put himself out of the creature's direct path, as Simo clings to his shoulder. Getting as far as he can, he spins, his poncho flaring, and lines up a shot, attempting to pierce the point where the strange thing's segments lock together. Or, if possible, where the spear was stuck in its side. Hopefully that wound would give his shots entry into the possibly softer interior of the creature.

Gman: An Kun readies Yan Feng in one hand, his grip loose and perfected.

Storm: "Targeting..." Scanning the creature's length, one side of Leon's mouth ticks up as he sees the spear. It's in range. "Target locked. Firing."
rolling d20= 8

James (GM): Physical?

Storm: Yes.

James (GM): It just barely glances off of the thick hide.

Storm: (fuck)

James (GM): It continues trucking along, getting close to Iris.
Prerolled Dice= 6. Physical AC 4 vs Iris.

Gamebrain: 2 evaison.

James (GM): Its mere passing sends rocks flying at you. 31 damage.

Drychanth: Cappella sighs and draws his crossbow muttering under his breath "Stark, no mercy."

Gamebrain: Wee. Haven't even done anything and I'm at half health.

Iris' eyes widen as he sees the rocks coming and turns, shielding his Togetic with his body as he is pounded.

James (GM): Really? After defense?

Gamebrain: Close enough.

James (GM): Okay, Gman's turn.

Gman: (Is it possible to get on the thing?)

James (GM): Sure.

Storm: (going for a Shadow of the Colossus attack run?)

Gman: (I have a sword, and I don't want to get hit by it's passing, makes sense to me.)

James (GM): (It's what Team MOUN is doing.)

Gman: "Hone?"

"Yes" An Kun holds the blade behind him as he runs towards the snake creature and leaps up into the air spinning around in a summersault to launch a razor wind of pain. (Slash) at it before landing on the back.
rolling 1d20= 18
(And that is a critical)
(Which means an extra damage die IIRC)

James (GM): Make an Acrobatics Check to ensure you land safely.

Storm: (no, you double the damage, since we're using flat damage instead of rolling it)

Gman: rolling 3d6+2= 12

James (GM): You deftly land, hoping from spike to spike.

Gman: (Oh...uh hmm Slash is normally 2d6+10 if I rolled it, not sure what flat value is)

James (GM): Crits are calculated before Defense, right?

Storm: (@James: Yes)

(@Glen: sending you a pdf that has the flat damage table on it)

James (GM): And if you let me have access to your sheet I can edit it so that it automatically pulls up the right damage.
(after this, anyway.)

Gman: (28 I think?)

Storm: (Slash is BD 7,which is 17. So double that, then add your attack stat.)

Gman: (38)

James (GM): You sure it's 17? I'm looking at the 1.04 edition.

Storm: (so am I)

James (GM): It says 21 for BD 7.

Gman: (looking at useful charts and it has db 9 for 21... but i'm not going to argue 52 damage)

James (GM): What the weird...

Storm: (Are you looking in the core book, or the useful charts pdf?)

James (GM): Oh, wait. Reading it wrong. 34 Plus... 4? For 38? Is your ATK really so low, Gman? How'd that happen?

Gman: (No I did my math wrong and got 28 somehow at first, My attack stat is at 10 before I start meditating buff)

(So it'd be 44)

James (GM): So 44 damage before Defense.

Gman: (Yes)

James (GM): And that's Normal Damage, so... Wow. Chip Damage.

Storm: (there's a reason steel types are considered later-game mon)

James (GM): The slash bounces off the beast, chipping a little at its armor.

Gman: "Hone" "I know"

James (GM): Iris is up.
(Also, that was Super Effective)
(For all that it mattered. Physical Wall)

Gamebrain: Iris slams the dust cartridge he is holding home in his revolver, and gasping in pain, looks for a way to follow AK's example. Easiest way to get out of the line of those rocks.

James (GM): Above you, the Sigilyph screeches as the MGs hold on tight, shooting at it with various flashy attacks.

Gamebrain: rolling 3d6= 10
That get me on it?

James (GM): Yeah, I'd say so.

Gamebrain: Once he scrambles his way aboard, he levels his revolver at a likely spot in the things hide, and fires, a gritty wind swirling around his gun.
rolling 1d20 = 18
13+15, special, ground.

James (GM): That definitely hits.
The shot grinds through the armor.
The beast screeches in pain.
It suddenly rears, slamming its tail at the gnats atop it.
Roll of 9, Physical AC 6, vs AK.

Gman: (So you rolled nine and the AC of the move is 6...miss)

James (GM): It just barely misses you, denting into its own armor. As the tail slams back into the ground, more of its armor falls away.

Gman: An Kun slams Feng into the ground creating a metal ringing sound. (Metal Sound, Next)
rolling 1d20 = 15
(AC 4, Special)

James (GM): That's a hit.

Gman: (-2 combat stages to the things defense)

Gamebrain: Metal Sound is Sp. Defense.

Gman: (Well...okay then, my bad)

James (GM): Is it a Status Move? Still hits, just making sure I'm using the right Evasion here.
Or does it do damage?

Gamebrain: Status move.

Tempest: (yes, it's a status move. It only goes against speed evasion)

James (GM): Okay.

Simo's turn.

Simo: Simo scuttles around Leon's shoulder, balancing precariously as his takes aim at one of the giant's blazing red eyes. He fires a Water Gun
rolling d20= 5
AC 2 vs Sp. Def

James (GM): That's plenty.
The water punches into the creature's eyes. As it continues to move, it almost looks like it's crying.
(Er, Eye.)
(Neutral Damage.)
It turns its gaze towards Leon and Simo.

Storm: Leon tenses, and gets ready to try and dodge whatever is coming.

James (GM): It spews forth several floating stones.
Stealth Rock.
Stark's Turn.
GO
GO FOR THE FROZEN NORTH
Above you, the Sigilyph shoots lasers for miles in a panic. Nothing comes close.

Drychanth: Stark runs on his short legs towards the beast and takes aim before sneezing a large icicle at it (Icicle crash)
rolling 1d20= 10
AC is 4

James (GM): That... makes it.

Drychanth: and its a physical attack
34 damage

James (GM): It chips a bit more of its armor away, but doesn't seem especially effective.

Drychanth: Capella takes careful aim with his crossbow and fires
rolling 1d20= 2
and miss

James (GM): That... Missed. Winter is not coming this time.
Serena's Turn.

Gamebrain: The togetic flies up, attempting to get out of range of the rocks thrown out by the creatures passing, and whistles, in short, sharp bursts, stubby arms ticking to a beat only she hears.
(Roll a metronome please)

James (GM): Suddenly, the sky darkens. Serena's eyes glow with a fell power, and she charges, her hands imbued with fell, deadly energy.
Roll Status.

Gamebrain: rolling 1d20= 11

James (GM): rolling 1d100=58
Unfortunately, it barely misses before dissipating.
Still, the attempt was enough to draw all of the serpent's attention.
It jerks forward suddenly. Struggle Attack. Rock Type.
Prerolled Dice: 9.
AC 4 Physical.

Gamebrain: 4 Evasion.

James (GM): So that's a hit. 29 Damage.

Gamebrain: Defense before multipliers, correct?

Storm: Yes

James (GM): Yep.

Gamebrain: 18 damage.

Serena gives off a high pitched, shrill screech of pain, fluttering in pain at the hit.

"Oh. You. Did. NOT. JUST. DO. THAT."

James (GM): Leon's turn.

Storm: Leon chambers another round, not even moving from his position, and once again attempts to shoot where the spear is sticking out of the beasts dense hide.
rolling d20= 17
okay, so that's an AC 7 shot

James (GM): The Def Evasion is not enough.

Storm: rolling 13+10= 23

James (GM): Auto crit.

Storm: so that's actually 36 points of damage
normal physical

Gamebrain: How is that a crit?

Storm: Remember the spear that was sticking out of its side?
I took an additional +2 penalty on my shot trying to hit the entry wound.

James (GM): It screeches in pain as more of its armor slides off.
"HEADS UP! LOOK OUT BELOW!"

Gman: Dodge to the side I suppose

Storm: Leon looks up

James (GM): You see the Pitch bird falling towards the party. It rights itself... just in time to ram into the serpent.
Everyone on the Steelix make an Athletics check to HOLD ON TIGHT

Gamebrain: rolling 2d6= 9

Gman: rolling 3d6+2= 20
(I think I'm good)

James (GM): Iris is rocked a little, taking 6 damage. An Kun manages to hold fast. The Serpent suffers a bit more. Its armor is really taking a beating.
It Flinches, and is unable to move this turn.
An Kun's turn.

Meanwhile the giant bird is trying to head up into the sky again, as you hear Moonshine from atop it. "YEEEEE HAAAAAAWWW"

Gman: (Can I aim for an unarmored spot?)

James (GM): "SOME ONE GET ME OFF THIS THING"

Most of it is unarmored now.

Its Defense is kinda sucking now.

Storm: (I think he means the auto-crit spot)

James (GM): The autocrit spot has been reduced to a crater. You probably won't get as much use out of it as before.

Gman: An Kun brings Feng up holding her across his chest, and slides his free hand on it. It glows with manifested aura. He takes a stance and stabs forward the aura coiling around the sword to look like a palm at the tip right before impact
rolling 1d20= 2
(And...miss...mother fucker)

James (GM): It fizzles out before it impacts.
Iris' turn.

Gamebrain: rolling 1d20= 17
Iris looks pissed, his eyes riveted on his squalling Togetic as she flutters weakly away. He looks between her and the giant he stands on, torn, before he throws up his hands and screams to the skies.

"SCREW IT!."

And he EXPLODES in a dazzling maelstrom of prismatic light, his form reduced to a shimmering silouette as giant wings of light enfold him, before blasting outward, a storm of glimmering feathers and swirling wind erupting in a howling gale.

The light fades and Iris floats in place where he once stood, eyes closed, now dressed in a leather pilots jacket, black pants and heavy boots, a scarf floating in a fey wind behind him, his hair coruscating through the colors of the rainbow.

"You don't hurt my friends you big, UGLY BASTARD!"

And he zips forward, rearing back with one hand before slamming it forward, directly into the eye nearest him, the energy swirling off of his revolver to gather in his attacking hand.

15+15, Ground Typed Air Cutter.
ONE freaking point off a crit.

A gale of sand like the winds from a sandstorm explodes off of his palm and into the creatures eye.

James (GM): It screams again, its eye hollowed out.

"WHHHOOOAAA DID YOU SEE THAT!?"

"AH CAN'T BELIEVE IT, BUT AH SEE IT!"

"WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT THERE'D BE FIVE OF US, ALL IN THE SAME SCHOOL!? IT'S LIKE AN ANIME!"

"A TERRIBLE ANIME!"

Gamebrain: "ITS NOT A FREAKING ANIME!"
He screams at the sky.

Gman: "Tch" 'What's an anime?' Kun wonders to himself

James (GM): "DON'T DENY- OH WAIT, WATCH OUT!"
A beam screams across the desert. The beam rips across the serpent, cutting it in half. It does not look happy.

Gman: "Well now it's angry"

James (GM): Pre-rolled dice... 1
It causes stone to rise from its body, but it goes wide of anyone. One particularly large burst smashes into the giant bird.

"YIKES!"

"WWOOOOHHHOOOOO! BEST RODEO AH'VE EVER BEEN TO!"

Feng Yin's Turn.

Gman: "Hone"

It fades for a moment before dragging along the ground pulling An Kun with it. (Shadow Sneak)
rolling 1d20= 15

James (GM): Hit.
Damage?

Gman: 27 ghost physical

James (GM): It screeches as a gash is finally made. Its armor is almost entirely gone, and you've actually drawn... well, whatever that inky blackness that the Pitch use as Blood is.

Simo's move.

Storm: Simo's expression is almost mocking as he closes his claw with a sharp report. The steel serpent is so close that he can simply reach out and touch the thing. His attacking claw glows a brilliant azure as he proceeds to do so with a vengeance, packing more power into the blow than one would think possible from so small a creature as he essentially sucker-punches the grotesque imitation of life right in its oversized jaw. Crab Hammer.
rolling d20= 4
AC 2 move

James (GM): That's just barely enough.

Storm: ah, wait, no. Damn. AC 4
of course

James (GM): It moves just out of the way in one of its rage spasms.
It launches another assault of stone pillars from its body.
Auto-Dice... 17.
It hits An Kun.
Rock Tomb.

Gman: Wide Guard Intercept from Feng

James (GM): 33 Dama- Well, I guess that works... I... think. So we'll skip his turn.

Stark is up.

Drychanth: Stark takes a deep breath before jumping into the air and kicking some of the creature large pieces of debris back at it
(Ancient power)
rolling 1d20= 16
21 damage

James (GM): It takes the hit and groans. Its starting to run out of steam.

Drychanth: Capella closes the distance with the creature frost forming around his free hand. "Why. Wont.You. JUST DIE" A line of ice and snow flares from his hand
rolling 1d20= 6
(powder snow)

James (GM): What's its AC?

Drychanth: 22 damage
2AC

James (GM): Yeah, 6 is enough.
The snow piles on, sticking to its body.
Serena's turn.

Gamebrain: Serena, having immediately quit faking being heavily injured upon Iris' light show, smirks as she finishes the tune she had started whistling, and then spins in place, chirping once more. Then abruptly belches out a cloud of noxious fumes that do nothing to the creature.

James (GM): The creature struggles about... and then begins to burrow into the sand.

Gamebrain: "Serena? YOU BLOODY FAKER!" She smirks at him, and shrugs. "FINE, I'M EATING YOUR SHARE OF THE COOKIES FOR THAT!"
She covers her mouth with her arms, a look of horror on her face.

James (GM): Everyone on top of the beast either hold on tight or make an Acrobatics check to get the heck off.

Storm: "FOCUS!" Leon calls out.

Gman: Holding on tight, I'm killing this thing.

Gamebrain: "I AM BLOODY FOCUSED!"
rolling 2d6= 9

James (GM): You tumble off, luckily your floating powers saved you from any horrible damage.
The beast sinks into the ground. It takes An Kun with it.
Leon's turn.

Storm: (Is there any sort of tunnel that I can fire down and possibly hit it?)

James (GM): ... Sure. I'll buy that for a dollar, but it's closing fast.
+2 to AC.

Storm: Leon races over to the lip of the tunnel, ignoring the hits he takes from the floating rocks, and lines up his shot. "Escape. Unacceptable."
rolling d20= 20
HAHAHAHAHAHA

James (GM): OH SHIT
OHHHH SHIT
OOOOHHHHH

Gman: (I feel like this is a kill steal)

James (GM): OOOOOOOOHHHH

Gman: (Also I'm going to be buried down there)

James (GM): REVENGE

Storm: 52 Normal Physical damage

James (GM): Yeah.
That ain't living that.
For a second, nothing happens.
Then it bursts with a scream, and shoots across the sky. It slams into the flying bird, and both come tumbling down. Their screams mix, and when they hit the ground, they explode into mere shades.

Storm: (and An kun?)

James (GM): An Kun and the MG team land in various degrees of safety.

Gman: Note to self: Do not trust team mates to not bury me alive

Gamebrain: That seems a rather harsh judgement to make.

James (GM): "Well... Ah reckon that was a nice diversion."

Gman: "We should keep going"

Storm: "Any injured?" Leon is panting slightly.

Gamebrain: Iris remains hovering for a second, making sure the creature is dead, as Serena flies up to him, making "Aren't I cute." eyes.

"No. I'm mad at you."

She butts into his chest, looking up at him, batting her eyes as he slowly lowers to the ground and his clothes return to normal. He grasps her in his arms, and cringes a little.

Gamebrain: "No. You little twerp. Tricking me like that. What the shit?"

James (GM): Iris is suddenly hugged by four Magical Girls.

Gamebrain: She snuggles up to him, wincing a little from her injuries and content to rest, and he sighs.
"Damn you and your "I'm so cute routine-GAH"

James (GM): "YOU WERE TOTALLY AWESOME!"

Storm: A brief flash of envy skitters over Leon's face before its gone.

James (GM): Obawato grips all four of them, including Iris, and lifts them up.

"AH TOO TIGHT! OBAAAAA!!"

Gamebrain: "Can't. Breathe. OW. OW."

Drychanth: Capella staggers over to Stark, conjures an ice wall and sits down leaning against it

Gman: "His ribs, are injured"

James (GM): "WE'RE GOING TO FORM A MAGICAL GIRL SQUAD AND FIGHT CRIME AND LEARN LESSONS AND GET OUR HAIR DONE AND -"

Gamebrain: iris strugles to wriggle free.

Gman: "Please let him go"

James (GM): "Can you let us down? I think we're about to die of broken spines."

"Okayyyyy." Obawata sets everyone down.

Simo: There's a whipcrack of sound from Leon and Simo's direction. Simo had just cocked his claw and then snapped it loud enough to produce a small sonic boom.

Gman: "Treat the injured then continue"

James (GM): "Alright by me."

Simo: Leon pulls out some rolls of bandages ad a couple of potions. "Not much, but should suffice. Provided no more major attacks."

James (GM): (Can we jumpcut to the end of this mission, so we can all go to bed with this arc at a close?)

Storm: (works for me)

Gamebrain: Iris retreats as soon as he's let down, while Serena protests, but doesn't leave his arms. He spends the rest of the trip looking incredibly embarrassed, and avoiding the gaze of anyone.

James (GM): About a day later, all the passing teams stand, waiting to be anointed with their team names, and their leaders decided.
"... together form Team VNIA (Vanilla), with their leader, Vanilla Hughs... Next, we gather together the Sparks of light, Moonshine Anders, Obawato Shin, Ungu Besshi, and Nalo Tara, who will together form Team MOUN (Moon), with their leader, Moonshine Anders."

Moonshine looks as shocked as everyone else, gathering up her hair and pulling it up to hide her blush.

Professor Root beckons you up.

Gman: Up we go

Storm: Leon walks up, actually looking a bit nervous now under all the scrutiny.

Gamebrain: Iris hunches his shoulders a bit as he walks.
Head ducked.

James (GM): Team MOUN is cheering you on.

Gman: An Kun feels distinctly out of place the cheering and everything it was too much

James (GM): "And finally, we gather together the Sparks of light: Leon Kingsley, Iris Irengard, An Kun Zhi, and Capella Canto, who will together form Team LIAC (Lilac), with their leader, Leon Kingsley." He gives Leon in particular a look before turning to the audience.

"May your sparks gather into the brightest light."

Drychanth: Capella goes up and averts his eyes

Storm: Leon looks absolutely dumbfounded.

Gman: A nod. "Thank you"

Drychanth: Capella claps Leon on the back

Storm: Leon nearly goes tumbling as the slap on the back actually catches him off guard.

Gamebrain: Iris looks relieved, and retreats from the stage as soon as possible.

James (GM): (Honestly, I wasn't sure who to put as the "official" leader of the group. So I ended up going with the one whose name starts the Team Name.)

Drychanth: CApella looks mortified and scrambles to help Leon up

(Wait, strike that, misread)

Gman: "Enlightening"

James (GM): Professor Root smiles as he looks at all the students, and you catch him saying: "This... will be one interesting generation..."

Storm: Leon is slowly shaking his head. In a voice pitched to only carry to the four of us, he murmurs. "Captain in name only. Tactician, not a real leader."

Gman: "Then become one" Small smile. "Journey long, but we are behind you"

Storm: Leon stops shaking his head, expression growing thoughtful, before giving a single nod, and holding out his hand to clasp An Kun's. "Thank you."

Gman: An Kun takes it and shakes. "Welcome."

James (GM): "And if yeh need any help, Uh... well, Ah might not be the best person to help you out. But Ah'll try. You don't corral two giant Pitch together without being buddies."

Storm: Leon gives Moonshine a small smile, and nods.

James (GM): "Plus, Magical Girls should stick together! And helping you is helping one of our own!" Obawata shouts.

Gman: "What is...magical girl?"

James (GM): "You can be... uuhhh, you know. Like our mysterious ally! Like Tuxedo Mask!"

Gamebrain: Iris flushes deep red. "I'm not a girl, damn it!"

Storm: Leon gives Obawata a look as several flashes of emotion race over his face. And the tips of his ears turn just a bit red. "That would be... acceptable."

James (GM): "Swweeet."

Gman: An Kun just seems confused.

James (GM): And so another semester at Glimmer begins. New sparks of light gather, with laughter about them, and the darkness fades just that little bit more. Someday, the darkness will be gone forever. That is the hope that these young heroes offer.

TEAM LIAC, MISSION 0 COMPLETE!

Drychanth: Capella manages to suppress a snicker "We'll explain it later An Kun."

Gman: An Kun nods,
(Thanks for the session)

Storm: (good session James)

James (GM): 22 EXP for all Pokemon.

Drychanth: (This was fun)

James (GM): 1 Milestone for all Players.

Now I have to come up with a Mission 1.

I'll post a few ideas for you guys later.

Storm: I can think of one right off the bat. Diversifying our teams.

James (GM): Making sure you guys all fill a niche?

I might do in-between sessions. Nothing worth EXP or anything, but meant to help character development.

Storm: or perhaps if An Kun tells anyone about that tower he encountered, we could be sent to investigate it.

James (GM): The tower in question is already kinda explained - it's a patrol tower. They drop Sparks there to sit up where most Pitch can't reach, and snipe them.
It's a fairly routine job.

_________________
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.


May 31st, 2015, 8:02 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.