Taverns, Bars, Cantinas, Pubs and more--the commonalities

Taverns, Bars, Cantinas, Pubs and more--the commonalities

Unread postby bibliophile20 » May 30th, 2008, 1:42 am

Alright, aside from being a favored place to get hooked into a plot, watering holes have three other favored and traditional forms of entertainment.

The first, and most obvious, is drinking! Few things are more entertaining than watching the half-orc barbarian or the Wookiee copilot tossing back the brews, knowing what is going to shortly ensue.

Second, and often relating to the first, is the bar fight. Usually these start as a misunderstanding that rapidly escalates, and the other patrons usually take one of two options: join in or, if the combatants look too nasty, hang back and place bets. Is popular at places where the bartender doesn't keep a crossbow/Colt .45/plasgun under the countertop.

Thirdly, and more tamely, are the pub games. Everything from darts to arm wrestling to cards to dice and more are possibilities... which is what my question is.

In games where PCs spend alot of time drowning their sorrows at the nearest tavern, how do you, as players or GMs, handle, depict and execute the various pub games? Advice, comments and suggestions welcome.
bibliophile20

Re: Taverns, Bars, Cantinas, Pubs and more--the commonalities

Unread postby viridian » May 30th, 2008, 5:33 am

I think I spend a lot more time on coming up with personalities for the host and the servers. Entertaining interactions with them is much more entertaining, and you can bring in the roleplaying at every meal.

Skill-based games I'd do skill and/or attribute checks. Ledgerdemain checks for cheating.

Straight chance games you can just roll dice for. Ditto with Ledgerdemain for cheating.

In Lindseys nigh-unto infamous Kellhorn Conspiracy campaign, we were directed to an astronomy-themed inn by the high priest of Celestian (who's brother ran the place). Aside from the kindly, but absent-minded hostler, I vividly recall his adopted son - a full-blooded troll who was dim, but very kind-natured. He even tended the indoor garden of which he was inordinately proud. Lindsey doing his rough voice with a child-like lisp was hilarious. He was also the only NPC my warlock Tarkus Grimtongue didn't have the heart to insult on a daily basis. (This is the same guy that called a Throne Archon an "egotistical, jaundiced bint with delusions of competency".)

If you ever watch the Food Network, rip off a couple of their star cooks' personalities for your next game. If the cook talks like Wolfgang Puck, it's going to make them either very nervous or completely crack them up. Or how about a grandmotherly old woman who comes out with a bowl of her new soup and a handful of spoons, insisting everyone take a taste and give their opinion? (Either make if horribly bad or tremendously good... either way requires a saving throw to avoid spitting it out or immediately ordering a bowl.)

Who wouldn't remember their barmaid if she acted like Flo from Alice? Theres a reason those old sitcoms stayed on the air for as long as they did.

I know this goes under the general advice of "Thou shalt make interesting NPCs", but really, the tavern/inn is one place you KNOW the players will return to again and again. This means that the creative effort invested in that locations will pay the highest dividends in your campaign.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games