D&D RP Thread

Re: D&D 3.5 game

Unread postby SLAMU » November 28th, 2009, 10:53 am

Right. Dervon got an extra 50 XP for pulling a fast one on the slowest bandit so he could go stab that bandit's friend in the back. Way to be a back-stabber. Jerk. :biggrin2 Mr.Rigger, please note the amount of XP being thrown around. Compare your end share with, say, TK. As for inhumane methods, well, can you think of another way to complely immobilize someone with a single blow?

On the subject of diplomacy rolls, if no one minds, I think I'll be using these rules for diplomacy. They make more sense to me, although if no one likes them I suppose that we could work off of the official rules. For most things, I'm willing do use the honor system, although occasionally I think I'll fire up maptools and use it myself for the rolls. You guys just tell me all the modifiers that apply. Does that sound acceptible?

So, the party trudges into town with a pair of prisoners in their midst about midafternoon. It is a logging village, or usually is, judging by the piles of lumber stacked at one end of the valley. The village itself lies next to a river, ostensibly for ease in floating logs downriver. The area around the village has been cleared long ago, and thick forest surrounds the clearing, which is about three times farther around than a reasonable bowshot. As you enter the clearing, the party notices that a ring of white stones mark the border of the clearing, each somewhere between the size of a human fist or head, and they seem to have markings on them. [Knowledge (Arcana) DC 7] When you approach the village proper, you are challenged by an old man at the palisade gate. “Who goes there?” You can hear a commotion behind the gates, like the sound of many people moving about.
SLAMU

Unread postby MrRigger2 » November 28th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Well, I could have always punched him in the throat. Not particularly nice, but it's not a full power kick to twig and berries either. And I don't have any problem with the amount of XP, it sounds great to me. If I gave the impression that I was complaining, I wasn't.

As for the Diplomacy rules, those look to be fair to me. Though it does appear that I won't be the negotiator for the party. My character doesn't really know how to deal with 'normal' people, having only grown up in a monastery, and having really only dealt with other monks. Not to mention the -2 Cha modifier.

As for the Knowledge (Arcana) check, that's a class skill, even if I only have one rank in it. Of course, I can always just take ten on the check to be on the safe side, so that's what I'll do. As for what Norril's doing:

I make sure that the guard can see him and that I'm not making any threatening moves. I inspect the surrounding area thoroughly, keeping an eye on the prisoners. I make note of the positioning of the river, town, and clearing, and try to remember if I've seen it on any of my maps. Either way, I'll have to make sure to update my map with the new information I'm seeing. Once I'm done with that, I make sure that the prisoners are secure and jerk my head at the rest of the group. "You guys do the talking, you're better at that kind of stuff. And Thistle, just try not to kill anyone."

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Barbarian » November 28th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Thistle, looking quite shocked, stares at Norril in bewilderment. "Kill this old man? Why would I waste the effort?"

He then pulls his greataxe off the sling on his back, and sticks its head into the dirt, and leans casually on the haft.

"So, who wants to make nice with the guard?"
Last edited by Barbarian on November 28th, 2009, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarian

Unread postby Greybane » November 28th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Studiously ignoring Thistle, "We are a group of travelers joined together for mutual protection and comfort in our respective journeys. While wandering here we were set upon by some bandits in the forest a little while ago, and managed to slay some of them. One escaped, but two have been taken captive and are here with us, their fate yet to be determined. I, Leeward Kurstichson, ask for entrance for the party, including my faithful companion Repnir while justice is determined for the captives. Some of us were wounded in the battle and might wish to recuperate, while others here merely want a good nights rest under a roof. May we enter?"

Turning to the rest of the party "Dealing with my sort of friends back home, you have to have some skill in 'polite talk.'" I shudder "A pissed off pixie can do a lot more damage than one would suspect of something so small."

(OOC: I have a +6 total in Diplomacy. Should I roll? I agree that the new diplomacy rules seem fairer.)
Last edited by Greybane on December 5th, 2009, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby SLAMU » November 28th, 2009, 7:00 pm

The old gateman grunted a response, and the gate opened enough for the party to file in one at a time. Once inside, you are greeted by several men and a few women holding pitchforks, staves, knives, and clubs. Two boys that haven't even shaved yet are armed with bows strung, although arrows are not knocked. A pair of unarmed men come forth. The first is an old man, stooped and weary, who walks with the aid of a cane. His eyes are watery, and judge each of you in turn. Apparently satisfied, he introduces himself. "I am the headman of this village. I'd like to apologize for our...less than hospitable welcome, but the village has been beset by the very bandits that you claim to have encountered. I must ask that you surrender your weapons for the duration of your time here. These times are dark, and we wouldn't want any misunderstandings." A cough interrupts him, and a what might have been a tolerant smile passed on his face. "And this is the good Preist Orthelos. He is an acomplished healer, and you mentioned that one of you was hurt? Yes, best to leave you under his expert care." He then bids you goodbye and departs.
Orthelos seems to be a much younger man, barely out of his twentieth winter. His robes are simple things, a handcarved quartered sunburst pendant his only decoration. "Right, as the honorable headman said, I am Preist Orthelnos. A few things that you'll need to know for your stay here; first, I don't know how they did things from wherever you come from, but know that you shouldn't eat during the day or night, nor alone. The village has a communal supping time at the Commons at twilight, and we break our fast at the same place to greet the morn. Secondly, do not cross the Stones after dark. People have disappeared in the woods at night, and it would be poor manners to not warn you of this. Lastly, it is highly suggested that you attend services. If you will be here in two days, I will be giving blessings the day after tommorow." He tries his best to look important, as he tells you this. For some reason, you keep wanting to check and see if he has a badge that wasys Head Boy. "Now,where is your injured friend?"
SLAMU

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 28th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Ogden hands over his quarterstaff and morningstar without complaint. "Hmm, don't suppose you know of a good fishing hole nearby? Something of a hobby of mine, and I'm sure the rest of the village would appreciate a bit of variety in their diet."

(OOG: Can I make a Knowledge, religion check to see which faith this kid belongs to, and determine whether or not us not attending services is a good idea?)
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MrRigger2 » November 28th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Norril similarly hands over his Quarterstaff and sling. "Should any of you need me, I will be somewhere well lit." He nodds at Orthelos before wandering off to work on his maps.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Barbarian » November 28th, 2009, 9:46 pm

With a snarl on his face, Thistle looks the man square in the face and says "I can take care of myself, thank you. And where I go, my axe goes. If you have a problem with that, I expect you to deal with it."

He then turns to the Jack-knife, interested in seeing which weapons he'll hand over and which he'll leave concealed.
Barbarian

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 28th, 2009, 11:13 pm

"Thistle, if you're really that set on freezing your arse off in the cold, you might have let us know so we could have left you outside and saved us all the trouble!" Ogden turns to the priest. "My friend comes from further North, where loosing a weapon is the same as loosing your life. Could we come to a compromise? I've some rope in my pack, and our friend Jack-Knife here is rather skilled at knots. If Thistle agrees, we'll simply peace bind the axe for the duration of our stay in the village."
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Greybane » November 29th, 2009, 1:21 am

(OOC: As I have a rank in Knowledge: Religion check to determine the faith as well?)

Leeward peacefully hands over his quarterstaff and sling to the nearest villager willing to take them. "Of course, I wish to keep my companion with me. She is very well trained, and not a threat to anyone as long as she or I are not attacked. All she requires is a bit of food each day and some water. In return for letting her accompany me, I can help Priest Orthenlos if he wishes for it. I do have some modest healing skill myself."
Greybane

Unread postby Barbarian » November 29th, 2009, 2:10 am

Thistle goes incredibly thoughtful for a moment, then turns to Ogden.

"Yes, this would be acceptable. I will not tolerate any more lip from that soft old man, however."

EDIT: Just considered that myself. How on earth would you bind a greataxe? :D
Barbarian

Unread postby Dervon » November 29th, 2009, 7:47 am

((OOC: If we are discussing current social-skills usefulness, I'm your go-to-guy for Sense Motive, at +7. Also, Knowledge: Local at +6. And on that topic, do you support rolling other types of Knowledge beyond the standard one in order to get that particular take on the matter? That is to say, you could roll Arcana and get the Magical meaning of the stones, or you could roll Local and get the respective meaning of them?))

Jack mumbles something to himself and shifts in his cloak. A frown spreads over his face and he curses aloud. He turns his gaze to Thistle.

"I seem to have misplaced my weapon... Probably dropped it when that bandit got a piece of wood stuck in his throat. Hidden assassins make me nervous." he shrugs "Guess I'll have to make due until I can get myself another blade, but at least I don't have to worry about handing anything over, yes?"

He drops his pack on the ground and rifles through it, taking out the piece of rope he had within.

"You wanted this?" he asks Ogden "And I'm not very good with knots, unfortunately. Getting out of them, however..." he half-grins
Dervon

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 29th, 2009, 2:23 pm

Ogden shakes his head. "I'm no great shakes at tying ropes either. I merely assumed that a man of your skillset would be just as good at tying ropes as untying them. Perhaps one of the villagers would be agreeable to doing it?" He turns to look at the priest. "I figure they'd be more likely to trust a knot tied by someone they knew then one of us outsiders anyway. I'll leave it to you gentlemen to sort it out, I need to talk to Leeward for a moment."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby SLAMU » December 1st, 2009, 5:15 pm

The gateman happens to know a fair bit of rope-tying, and you find some spare leather from the tannery to keep the sharp bits covered. Good news; the axe is peacebonded. Bad news; now everyone is laughing at you because the bit of leather was from a rabbit, and now your axe head is white, fluffy, and has ears sticking out at amusing locations. In short, it looks like you have a rabbit riding on your shoulder.
As the party enters the village, Ogden breaks off to places unknown, apparently wanting some time alone (no jokes, please. They are too easy at this point.). Your prisoners are brought away by some of the villagers, before being tied to posts in the village Green. Surveying the village, you find mostly thatch roofs and children playing, save for a little girl sitting off to one side, watching. A man sits by an open fire, apparently sharpening an axe, although why he feels the need to do that by a fire during the middle of the afternoon, no one knows. Over by one side, you see a smith patching a pot, but without apparent haste. After wandering a bit, you find what passes for an inn hereabouts; a thatched roofed area with tables spread undernieth. When you ask about it, a passing local with pockmarked face informs you that yes, this is where you are staying, and yes, this is where the villagers eat every twilight.
Do you want to do anything with the rest of the day, or go to sleep?
SLAMU

Unread postby Barbarian » December 1st, 2009, 7:17 pm

Thistle surveys the village with disgust evident on his face.

"If you need me, just shout loud enough."

He then strides off to a secluded spot out of sight.
Barbarian

Unread postby Greybane » December 1st, 2009, 8:34 pm

Leeward runs after Thistle in slight exasperation. "If you aren't going to let the priest heal you at least let me try to patch you up some."
Greybane

Unread postby Barbarian » December 2nd, 2009, 6:42 am

Gruffly, Thistle snorts "Come on then, druid, move your arse."

He then keeps walking to the nearby river and sits down next to it.
Barbarian

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 2nd, 2009, 10:10 pm

Ogdent walks out of the brush, untangling a set of block and tackle with a bit of prestidigitation as he goes, before picking a likely looking spot and casting out into the water. After a moment, the bat hanging from the brim of his floppy hat chitters, causing the man to turn and eye the other two on the bank, keeping the other eye firmly fixed on his line as he sets up a steady pattern of casting out and reeling in the line. "Well hello there. Beautiful spot for trout here. Wonder if any of the fey in this area like fish. Do you think they do? I mean, the village has to trade something to them to keep up whatever agreement the marks on those stones remind the fey of after all."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby SLAMU » December 4th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Right, shortly before the evening meal, one of the village elders approaches the group. He claims that to speak of this is bad luck over an open meal, but they are desperate and need an answer soon. "Brave sirs, you were beset on your path here by brigands. You have done us a favor by bringing those that you brought here for justice, and we ought not ask more of you, but ask we must. The closest garrison is too far as of yet to cleanse these bandits from our roads." You think you know where this is going. "We know that there is not much we can offer you, but we can assure you that you would have our gratitude. These bandits have been preventing us from sending our lumber down the Snakebite River to Linbourne. We cannot get needed supplies to our humble village. Sirs, the village implores you, could you do something about the bandits?"
He bows deeply, then says "We do not require an answer tonight, but we would ask that you answer us soon. Tonight, we feast to the visitors!"
He then walks with you to pavilian, where you are warmly greeted by the villagers.
SLAMU

Unread postby Dervon » December 4th, 2009, 4:22 pm

*Jack sighs*

"I suppose me and ol' axe-fiend over there are in. He gets twitchy if he doesn't kill something every once in a while, might as well have him channel his need productively."

*Jack moves to take his place to eat, at Thistle's left-side*
Dervon

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 4th, 2009, 4:23 pm

"We should help them. As they are destroying the peace and choking the livelihood of this village, we should make sure they do not escape justice further."

MrRigger2

Unread postby Greybane » December 4th, 2009, 4:28 pm

"Of course I wish to help the villagers here, but may I ask what sort of justice is to be done for those two brigands we captured?"
Greybane

Unread postby SLAMU » December 4th, 2009, 4:37 pm

"They were tried by our customs and sentanced accordingly. They are to be excecuted on the morrow." The man does not sound happy with the sentance, but does not seem to be apologetic either. "You are, of course, welcome to preform the deed yourself, but I ask that you do not. You have done enough for us already, we could not ask you to kill for us." The elder looks ashamed. "To be speaking of such things to a guest...if only my grandfather could see us now, his ashes would curdle with disappointment."
SLAMU

Unread postby Greybane » December 4th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Leeward frowns deeply as he searches for some table scraps to feed Repnir. "The execution seems pointless and wrong. Why not force them to work off their debt to the village, put the to work in some area where their talents could be useful? If they break their parole, they could always be executed later, but the opportunity to change their ways and become decent people can never come again if they are killed."
Greybane

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 4th, 2009, 4:47 pm

"We should respect their laws, but if there is a way to avoid needless waste of life, I should take it."

MrRigger2

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games