New RPG: CthulhuTech

New RPG: CthulhuTech

Unread postby bibliophile20 » October 2nd, 2008, 11:17 am

CthulhuTech Home

Found this via Catalyst Game Labs; they partnered with Wildfire to produce the game. It looks rather intriguing from the quick overview I gave it. There's an interesting premise, and, given the description, it sounds like they're running a variant of the Storyteller system (apparently "all the dice you need are five to ten 10-siders").

Any thoughts?
bibliophile20

Re: New RPG: CthulhuTech

Unread postby forbin » October 2nd, 2008, 8:45 pm

Some really interesting artwork in their promo movie, and the basic premise is strangely like that of the D&D campaign Kodra is trying to get off the ground. Also reminds me a bit of Palladium's Rifts RPG.

The idea that mankind advanced far enough and fast enough to grab the attention of all kinds of assorted baddies that humanity wasn't ready to deal with is a well used theme, mostly because it just seems to be pretty realistic. Jumping ahead into a situation that we know little about seems like a fairly human type of thing to do.

Of course then comes the obligatory regrouping after getting the collective ass kicked all to hell, and kicking ass right back.

This looks interesting and I'm going to have to find a copy of the rule books to take a gander at.
[Bored Moderator - Mod posts shall be in this color]
forbin

Re: New RPG: CthulhuTech

Unread postby Tapeworm » October 3rd, 2008, 6:43 pm

I've got a copy, and am currently running a PBP game. I really enjoy the setting. It draws just as heavily from Anime such as Neo Genesis Evangelion and Guyver as it does from the H.P. Lovecraft stuff. While there are more options than these, there seem to me to be three basic types of games that most players will be interested in.

First is the Engel/Mecha type game. Mecha are your basic anime types, while Engels are actually alive (though this is carefully hidden by the propaganda machine) and their pilots pay for enhanced war-machines with psychological trauma. You'll be fighting the overwhelming forces of the insect-like Migou (who are currently winning), the Esoteric Order of Dagon as they raid coastal towns and shipping, and the Rapine Storm which a reborn Hastur has unleashed on central Asia.

Next and equally popular is the Tager game, in which you will play Guyver-like sacred warriors fighting against the dark cults with symbiotic aliens-from-beyond bonded to you. It works out vaguely like a shape-shifter type thing, with the ability to go from Human to inhuman killing machines with unique abilities. For example, the ability to go invisible, walk through objects, or unleash a tentacle-maw from your chest that can simply draw in and devour an enemy caught in it.

Then there is the street-level game, where you play some kind of police or government agency, usually fighting against the pernicious cults that are undermining what remains of society. Sorcerer's, investigators, and Psychics can all find a home here.

I'd say that the artwork sets a standard for other RPG's, as its absolutely stunning.
Tapeworm

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games