Probing for interest (3.P system)

Re: Probing for interest (3.P system)

Unread postby Jasruv » October 29th, 2010, 1:02 pm

I am in GMT -6 as well. I'm available most nights from about 5:30pm US Central to about midnight or so. Friday and Saturdays perfered as I don't have to get up in the mornings for work.

I'll be playing a Human Soulknife with hopefuly a level of Soulbow. (It is a 5th level for chars right?)
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Greybane » October 29th, 2010, 1:34 pm

...Crap. We are gonna lack a meatshield aren't we? Wis 8 Sorcerer to the frontline!
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby gman391 » October 29th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Yes you are unless Jarsuv get's really really lucky on his CON scores.

*Edit*

I don't have any real problems with working with a neutral character as long as they don't stop me from doing good.

But I'll still try to oppose his boss. So however that goes.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Greybane » October 29th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Thank God I am gonna start getting d12's next level is all I can say.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Wittgen » October 29th, 2010, 3:06 pm

I suddenly feel like the one wand of cure light wounds I picked up wasn't enough. Group one is all tricks, no beef.

Question: with a whip, I can flank from 10 feet away, right? Like, consider the following:

Axxx
xExx
xxxx
xxxK

Where K is Krull, E is an enemy, and A is an ally. Assuming I've got the whip out, E is flanked, right?
Wittgen

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm

From the Pathfinder Core Book:
Flanking
When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by another enemy character or creature on its opposite border or opposite corner.
When in doubt about whether two characters flank an opponent in the middle, trace an imaginary line between the two attackers’ centers. If the line passes through opposite borders of the opponent’s space (including corners of those borders), then the opponent is f lanked.
Exception: If a flanker takes up more than 1 square, it gets the flanking bonus if any square it occupies counts for f lanking.
Only a creature or character that threatens the defender can help an attacker get a f lanking bonus.
Creatures with a reach of 0 feet can’t flank an opponent.
So no, I don't think you would get flanking. You're not right next to the opponent. You would still threaten him with your whip, but you wouldn't flank him.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Wittgen » October 29th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Reading that rule, it seems I would get the flanking bonus, but the person on the other side would not. When I make the attack, my opponent is threatened from the side opposite me, so I get +2 bonus for flanking. When the other person attacks, I am not threatening the enemy from an opposite corner, so they don't get the bonus.

Edit: Could my +1 whip be a +1 prehensile scorpion whip?
Last edited by Wittgen on October 29th, 2010, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wittgen

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 29th, 2010, 4:03 pm

I'm fine with a Neutral character that worships a (technically) Evil deity (Nerull is just Death by another name right? I always thought that Death was True Neutral). So long as he doesn't start ressurecting dead allies to use as cannon fodder or something.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 29th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Edit: Could my +1 whip be a +1 prehensile scorpion whip?
If it doesn't drive the cost of the weapon over 5,250 (half your total wealth), yes. If it does, you can't. And upon further reading, I think you're right, you would get a flanking bonus, but your flanker would not get a flanking bonus.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby bookworm702 » October 29th, 2010, 4:11 pm

I know it's not helping my case, but there are other gods of Death. Nerull is a god of death, and specifically the god of Murder.
bookworm702

Unread postby Satori » October 29th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Wait, whips threaten in Pathfinder? Nice.

Also, Lesser Vigor >>> Cure Light Wounds 11 hp vs 1d8+1 hp healed.

You could get 550 hp worth of healing for that 750 gp wand, or an average of 225 hp's worth of healing for the same price. That's almost double the value if you switch to Lesser Vigor. Call now and we'll also throw in a complementary roll of medical gauze!

I can't help but notice group 2 is 2 tanks, 1 striker, and one... whatever the cleric decides to be. Buffer, I hope. We have no trap monkey unless I bind Thief's Gloves, and with my lack of skill points i won't be a very good one.

I'm cool with a cleric of nerull if (s)he is properly respectful of the dead and of ancient cultures. Raising dead is fine (in fact, I can bolster any undead [s]he raises-synergy!) Torturing the souls of the passed is going to end with my walking stick in his/her gut, as will destroying archeological finds without good reason.

On the plus side, all of us except the swordsage can technically heal (Or at least i will be able too when i get higher level), and he could too if he went into Shadow Sun Ninja.
Last edited by Satori on October 29th, 2010, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satori

Unread postby gman391 » October 29th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Actually that is my plan eventually.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 29th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Actually, Dragon Shaman are buffers are well. So long as you stay within 30 feet of me, you gain the benefits of my Draconic Auras.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby gman391 » October 29th, 2010, 4:31 pm

I know it's not helping my case, but there are other gods of Death. Nerull is a god of death, and specifically the god of Murder.
Pretty sure Lee would have problem with that type of god. Death is death and comes to everyone in the end. But a deity dedicated to making it happen sooner?

That's not sot so good. There would be intra party conflicts. Just saying.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Wittgen » October 29th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Lesser Vigor is not a spell in Pathfinder.

Prehensile whip is an equipment trait. Are traits allowed in this campaign? If so, I might take the feat to get two traits next time I can.
Wittgen

Unread postby Satori » October 29th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Actually, Dragon Shaman are buffers are well. So long as you stay within 30 feet of me, you gain the benefits of my Draconic Auras.
I'm with Frank and K on buffing. bonuses less than +3 don't count. :p

Yes, Draconic Aura: Vigor is very helpful. But I had it filed under "healing" :p

Are you doing metabreath feats? Entangling Exhalation is boss.

Wittigen: Rigger said we could use 3.5 materiel. But if you want to be a purist, that's fine too.

Also, don't you start with two traits?
Satori

Unread postby Wittgen » October 29th, 2010, 4:57 pm

MrRigger didn't say, so I don't know. If we each get two traits, I'm definitely taking Survivor and Prehensile whip.

I don't know what Lesser Vigor is. It's not on the SRD, and I'm not going to use something if I can't figure out what it is.
Wittgen

Unread postby Kirai » October 29th, 2010, 4:58 pm

I'm surrounded by min maxers! the horror!^^
Kirai

Unread postby Wittgen » October 29th, 2010, 5:08 pm

I hope you weren't aiming that at me. *sniff*

As for something I forgot earlier, no, whips do not threaten. A medium weapon with 15' reach that threatened would be ridiculous. It does lead to a pretty weird flanking asymmetry.
Wittgen

Unread postby gman391 » October 29th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Not totally surrounded?

Well educated?
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 29th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Yeah, you're not totally surrounded. You are at the mercy of a DM who is fairly educated in their ways, though. But I won't be throwing minmaxed encounters at you unless that's what your characters are.

If a whip doesn't threaten, it wouldn't give flanking anyway, no matter how close or far away you were, I don't think. Two characters have to both be threatening while grant flanking. I think you would still get a flanking bonus, but again, your partner wouldn't, by virtue of not being close enough and not threatening.

Yeah, two traits.

Wittgen, Lesser Vigor (and the Vigor line of spells) are found in the Spell Compendium. If you don't have it, contact me on Skype and I can send it to you. For reference purpose, here is Lesser Vigor.
Spoiler: show
VIGOR, LESSER
Conjuration (Healing) Level: Cleric 1, druid 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 10 rounds + 1 round/level (max 15 rounds)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The sounds of battle ring in your ears as you lay hands on your fallen comrade. You can spare neither time nor magic to do more right now, but the blood flow slows to a trickle and her breathing becomes less labored, even as you are called to the aid of another.

The subject gains fast healing 1, enabling it to heal 1 hit point per round until the spell ends and automatically becoming stabilized if it begins dying from hit point loss during that time. Lesser vigor does not restore hit points
lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, nor does it allow a creature to regrow or attach lost body parts.
The effects of multiple vigor spells do not stack; only the highest-level effect applies.
If you want to stick to pure Pathfinder, that's okay with me Wittgen, but I am allowing whatever 3.5 material that is compatible (which is most of it, benefits of using Pathfinder, which is mostly backwards compatible). That's why I'm allowing an Incarnate, Swordsage, Dragon Shaman, and Soulknife, none of which are in the Pathfinder Core Book.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Satori » October 29th, 2010, 10:24 pm

*Looks around.* No you're not.

There's nary a min-maxed build in sight.

The sorceror is nerfing himself deliberately; I specifically asked to DM to limit he ability i'm getting in 3 levels that might be overpowered, and am using a certain soulmeld for backstory purposes when i could be spitting acid instead; and even the Swordsage is focusing on his specific theme rather than damage output.

The only possible min max potential is our as yet unconfirmed cleric.

Who have some optimziation, but it;s moderate optimziation. With only oen caster per party, neither of which looks like a controller... (Unless tempest is taking entagling exhalation, that's *some* crowd control)

The DM may have to adjust the CR of encounters *down*.

EDIT: wait, there's a soulknife?
Last edited by Satori on October 29th, 2010, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satori

Unread postby bookworm702 » October 29th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Well, I made the character up. Bob is able to hold his own, but he's several steps from minmaxed, and he has to jump to catch a glimpse of broken.
bookworm702

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 29th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Heh, I on the other hand, tend to make myself into a pure DPS guy. One of the reasons I love breath weapons so much. Although apparently I have to be dragonblooded or a half-dragon to take those metabreath feats.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Jasruv » October 29th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Here is a quick bio for my character:
Spoiler: show
Aenslend Quickhands is from a distant land where the art of mind magic or psionics is practiced. Aenslend was born into a clan known for their powerful psionic powers that were equal to all but the most powerful mages. A clan that treated him mostly with pity when he proved incapable of manifesting powers like the rest of the clan.

Aenslend was able to prove his psionic ability by utilizing the arts of the Soulknife, but he was still treated as an inferior. So he said goodbye to those of his clan he was still on good terms with and sailed on a trading ship to another continent. He wanted to get out from under the shadow of his clan's influence.

After learning the local language and geography, he got caught up in a adventure to kill a colony of basilisks.

Description: Aenslend stands at about 5' 9" and weighs in at 137 lbs. He has Dark Brown hair with natural streaks of reddish highlights. He keeps his hair fairly short and maintains a short beard and mustache. His eyes are bright green with flecks of sky blue. His features seem slightly off as he dosen't exactly match any of the local phenotypes.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games