Memorable pen and paper gaming moments

Re: Memorable pen and paper gaming moments

Unread postby Kodra » September 11th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Man, I guess I never finished the story of Drathis Kond.

Our group had just reached Taris, where we encountered a pair of Darths, who were attempting to escape from us in their shuttle. However, Aragos struck true with a ground based turret, blowing the shuttle out of the sky, causing them to crash, and allowing us to recover their stolen datacrons.

Part of the problem with this was that one of the Darth's was a powerful mystic, and had prepared herself to become a force spirit. Seeing as I was the most force sensitive person on the planet without the needed training, Drathis Kond soon found himself the unwilling host for her. As a result he was subjected to intermittent torture, and given the option to use her dark powers to his advantage when it suited her.

We approached Satele Shan to remedy this problem, and she agreed, in exchange we needed to use this as an oppurtunity to investigate some leads on Dromund Kaas. I was to play the role of Darth Bandis, one of the two Darth's I'd just slain. Using his outfit, and my new found dark aura, I was to get planet side with the aid of Grand Moff Kilran. We intercepted the Moff's fleet and demanded transit to Dromund Kaas. I claimed the various crew members were my prisoners, and that Chadaal (the Mirailian) was treated as my new apprentice.

We were called to the helm by Kilran to bear witness to the fleet extinguishing a force sensitive race that had stood up to another Darth. I didn't want anything to do with this (trying to avoid to much darkside points), so I beg off claiming to not have the time to be wasted by this.

Kilran questions if I'm feeling alright, and I'm starting to feel pressure that my disguise is slipping, so I start to think about how a Darth might deal with a situation like this to save face. Unfortunately, I've brought all things good Chadaal with me. So I decide to act like a Darth, and tell her that SHE must initiate the sequence that causes genocide against this innocent species. She refuses, so I pull out a device that I've been claiming is a detonator for the slave collars around her friend, and lay out the situation plainly. "Those creatures are as good as dead Jedi. What good does it do for your friends to join them." Distraught, Chadaal agrees and executes the order that destroys the planet.

I then get praised for my control of my prisoners by Grand Moff Kilran. I was sick to my stomach for a week when what I had done set in.

However, no one questioned the credentials of Darth Bandis from that point on.
Kodra

Unread postby SLAMU » November 19th, 2012, 5:13 am

In the 41st millennium, there is only war.

In the Calaxis Sector, on the Spinward Front a crusade is waged against the traitorous subsector governor Severus the Thirteenth and a brutal Ork Waaagh.

The resource-poor world of Skyrnne has found vast reserves of promethium under its crust, the fuel that powers many of the Imperium's might war machines, such as the mighty Leman Russ main battle tank which forms the Imperial Guard's armored fist. A resource always in constant demand by the thirsty armored colomns.

An Ork Rokk has struck the planet, a fragment of Warboss Tufgob's Waaagh forces have found their way onto the planet. Two Guard regiments have been dispatched to the planet to fight off the greenskins, the Brontian Longknives, and the Sargath Seventh.

Upon planetfall, the Sevens were pressed from the outset, attacked before even disembarking from their landers. Displaying fearlessness in the face of the enemy, they valiantly drove back the alien menace and secured the outpost they were to operate from. One squad in particular gained the attention of the regimental commander and the commissariat alike for their skill and bravery, and were tasked with scouting out a refinery believed to be lost to the greenskins.

Secure in their Chimera APC, they drove through the steaming jungles of Skyrnne, facing boldly running away from the native wildlife, rescuing downed troopers. Upon arriving at the refinery, they found it to be held by no less than twenty Orks, led by a bestial Nob. But were our intrepid heroes afraid? Well, maybe a little No, of course not! Displaying the very wisdom of Solomon, two troopers, Guardsman Rax and Guardsman Calad scaled the mighty trees to take up positions that they might fire upon their foe, raining lasbolts upon them with practiced hand and eagle eye. Many of the vile xenos were felled, but as is common, more poured forth from the refinery compound, led by the Nob. Nobs, of course, are larger, tougher, and uglier orks. No less than seven shots to the head did this Ork take from longlas and lasgun alike. It waded through a veritable storm of bolterfire that cut down its lesser kin, until it could grapple with the Chimera itself! Lo, did it rend forth the ventral hatch, and would have slain the elite stormtroopers and bold Commissar were it not for the actions of Guardsman Calad.

Calad, having witnessed the ferocity of this Nob and knowing that the Emperor Protects, made a leap of thirty meters vertical and ten horizontal in a daring feat that brings a tear to this scribe's eye. Down he fell, drawing forth his chainsword and cleaving the ork beast nigh in twain, though the beast then struck the Commissar a brutal blow with his savage choppa, cleaving the man's nose off and destroying the Commissarial hat. Blinded, the good Commissar struck out, though too eagerly to smite the ork. Rather than striking the Nob, his blade did find purchase in Guardsman Calad, rendering the stalwart guardsman stunned and helpless.

The Nob's crude guffaws were cut short by the massed fire of the rescued Stormtroopers, who as one struck out with their lasguns, ending the wretched life of the greenskin. Alas, was one bolt deflected by the armor of the Nob, striking Guardsman Calad and setting him ablaze. The other sniper and squad medicae, Guardsman Rax, rushed to the aid of his comrades. It was not long before the profusely bleeding commissar's wound was staunched, and Guardsman Calad's hurt tended to.

However, this left the squad with but one unwounded member out of almost a dozen, most of the wounded critically so, and with reinforcements days away. To make matters worse, one of the preeminent xenos, Big Mek Zagwizza, was on his way, leading a force that dwarfed the defenders that the squad was nearly overcome by.

-Annals of the Spinward Crusade, First Skyrnne campaign
SLAMU

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » December 31st, 2012, 4:04 am

This is a moment from earlier tonight; gman391 was attempting to teach me some of the rules to Legend of the Five Rings...

Correcting himself after having mistakenly said earlier that there was no limit on how many spells a shugenja could cast, gman said, "Ah, wait, yes there is; you can only cast spells of a particular element up to your ring in that element per day."
"O...kay then," I said. "I assume 'ring' is like 'rank'?"
"Er, sorry," he replied. "You have eight traits, 4 mental and 4 physical, each associated with an element. These traits make up that elemental ring. The fifth element, Void, has no traits, but provides void points, which allow for just a little extra push and the ability to reroll failures."
"...Sure. That tells me... absolutely nothing. I mean, it tells me something, I guess, but in no way does it address my confusion."
"The rings tend to come in play when invoking that particular element," he explained. "Rings measure both your overall rank in the game (not getting into how that's measured) and also how in-tune you are with that particular element, which boosts techniques and spells invoking the element. Along with setting how many times you can use a spell from that element."
I stared dully at gman for a moment.
"So 'ring' is like 'rank'?"
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 3rd, 2013, 9:27 pm

:animlol:
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby someone » January 19th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Saw this on another forum, thought you guys might enjoy it:
someone

Unread postby JamestheFox » January 20th, 2013, 9:07 pm

So, have been running a Pokemon: Tabletop Adventures campaign with some other members of the forum. We got talking about what version of the Pokemon Universe we're in, and I answered that we were in a version of the world mostly derived from the Games, with some elements of the Anime's Kanto-Arc mixed in, set about 5 years after Black and White 2. We got talking about what Red/Ash, and I said:
Spoiler: show
One final note regarding Ash/Red is thus:

He's gone by many names. The name, Satoshi (as in Satoshi's Luck, or Satoshi's Karma, the Feats), is just one of them. He has had, based on the Pokemon Timeline, at least 15 years since his battle on Mt. Silver.
In that time, he has done, for the most part, nothing except two things:
1: Train to be the Best, Like No One Ever Was.
2: Find something that will actually PUSH that power to its limits.

He has only achieved one of these goals.

Considering that, I see stating him as akin to stating Cthulu, or The Lady of Pain from that one setting: impossible, or at least ill-advised.

If you challenge him, he will break you.

Gamebrain: "But it would be so epic, Hiruzen!"
Gamebrain: A guy can dream.
Tempest: I'm surprised that he hasn't tried to track down any of the *really dangerous* Legendaries like Mewtwo or Darkrai, by now
James: If I haven't used it already by then, I'll probably spam the "There's a Time and Place for Everything" line if you challenge him. Just as a joke.
Gamebrain: Well, if its a blend of Ash and Red, He's probably met Mewtwo.
James: Well, Mewtwo was meetable in Yellow version.
James: And catchable.
Gamebrain: and yeah.
Tempest: true
Gamebrain: ...you're aren't implying what I think you are, are you? No, you aren't. I'm going to ignore that.
Tempest: ... oh.
Tempest: oh boy

James: Red: "..." *lift's his hand to his cap, then, slowly, as though it's an action he hasn't taken in YEARS, turns it backwards.*
That will be the sign that he's going to take the battle seriously.
We joked a bit, then one of the players, Gamebrain, decided he wanted to sim a fight between his character (Tommy) in the far future, and Red. And this is what happened. (Warning: Giant wordump, Some swearing)
Gamebrain (Tommy): I can just see that how that scene starts.

"Because of what I'm about to say, I know I've gone off the deep end and really do qualify for a Myneo (The homebrew region for the campaign) Gym Leadership. But. What the hell. Red, let's battle."

Red: "..." *Nods.*

Tempest (John): *Raises hand* "I'm just here to witness, and cart home his ashes afterwards. Don't mind me."

Red: "..." *blinks at the word "Ash"*

Tempest: As an aside to Tommy. "You realize your mom is gonna murder me when she finds out I let you go through with this, right?"

Gamebrain: *Tosses a dirty look at John, shrugs* "That's your issue. Not mine."

Red's Pikachu: *looks ready to leap from Red's shoulder, but stopped by a look from Red*

Tempest: "You've got your will made out, right?"

Red: "..." *reaches for a Pokeball on his belt. Tosses it, a Squirtle comes out. It's wearing sunglasses.*

Gamebrain: "Shut up, John. Vinyl, lets do this." *Metallic colored Pikachu jumps off Tommy's shoulder.*

Tempest: "Aaaaaaand that's my cue to make like a Duosion and *split*."

Squirtle: *Slams foot into the ground with Mega Kick. Earth shakes. Squirtle raises hands slightly, tidal waves' worth of water flies from a crack in the ground behind Squirtle.*

Red: *As waves diminish* "... Hydro Pump."

Tempest: "Fuck this, time to take an aerial observation post!" Releases an Aerodactyl and obtains liftoff as fast as possible.

Gamebrain: O.O "Wow. Thunder, girl."

The sky darkens gradually, and lightning strikes down, hitting Squirtle. It looks... surprised.

Red: *Returns Squirtle, then looks at Pikachu. After a few moments, actually smiles.*

Tempest: "ooooh shit. More altitude Ginsu!"

*Pikachu hops off of Red's shoulder. Blinks, and skies darken INSTANTLY.*

Tempest: "LESS ALTITUDE! LESS ALTITUDE!"

Gamebrain: "Double Team!"

Gman (Playing Tyson, a psychic.): *I should just teleport out but ah well...I can phase*

Red: "... Thunderbolt." *Five lightning bolts drop at once*

Tempest: "BAD-DAY-BAD-DAY-BAD-DAY!!" *Is frantically dodging arcs of electricity.*

Gamebrain: *Attacks are sucked in by Lightning Rod* "Knock Off!"

Red: *Smile grows. You notice that his Pikachu doesn't even HAVE a Light Ball.*

Gamebrain: *Jaw drops* "Holy shit man. Iron Tail!"

Red: "... Brick Break."

The clash is titanic. Glorious, even.

Tempest: "SWEET ARCEUS ABOVE, HIT THE DECK GINSU!"

Red's smile grows, and his hand twitches, towards his head. Towards his hat.

Tempest: *Peeks out over remnants of hillock* "Okay, I think we're a safe distance away now."

Red: "... Signal Beam." A wave motion cannon of energy fires from Pikachu's tail.

Tempest: "ALTITUDE! NOW!"

Gamebrain: "Light Screen!"

The beam hits a mountain, and when it fades, there is a large indent in the mountain. The Light Screen flickers, cracked, but not destroyed.

Red: "Brick Break."

Gamebrain: "Oh hell. Double Edge!"

Tempest: "CLIMB MOTHERFUCKER! *CLIMB!*"

The clash is even more glorious. And the dust clears, Vinyl has collapsed to the ground.

Red: "... Not many would have lasted that long..." (Longest stream of words you've ever heard him speak.)

Tommy runs out and gathers her up in his arms before returning to his position.

"You did amazing Vinyl. Good job."

"You might have some potential." The smile on Red's face is huge now. "Let's see if you can be strong... Like no one else is." He turns his hat.

Tommy nearly swallows his tongue.

Tempest: "AIM FOR THE LITHOSPEHRE GINSU, IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE!"

Gman: *John's high strung today...* Continues to watch quietly.

Tommy nods dumbly, and puts on his headphones. He tosses another pokeball out. an Exadrill appears. "Alright Faultline. You're up. Drill Run."

"Grass Knot." A field of grass flies across the battlefield, tripping Faultline. Then they start wrapping around him, slowing him down. "NOW! Brick Break!"

Gamebrain: "Stealth Rock!"

Pikachu dodges through the rocky field that appears, taking a few nicks and scratches, but still lands the hit.

Faultline looks shaken, but is still standing. Just.

Gamebrain: "Earthquake."

Pikachu jumps into the air, landing on Faultline.

"Cha... Cha..." Pikachu's smiling now, a huge grin.

Red: "Surf!"

Gamebrain: "...oh come on."

It's like the entire ocean is dropping upon the battlefield.

And Faultline goooes down. Pikachu pats Faultline before he's brought back.

Red: "Good. You've obviously got skill. And a great deal of spirit, too!"

Gamebrain: "Nice try big guy. You did good. Alright Moog. Your turn. *Tosses Pokeball* Bullet Punch!"

"METAGROSS!"

Pikachu hits the ground, and gets up, blood from his lip.

Tempest: "Oh. Oh shit."

Red: "I think you've had enough fun, for now. Pikachu, return." he pulls out a Pokeball. "Let's let someone else have some fun. Charizard! Let's GO!"

Tempest: "He made one of Red's Pokemon bleed their own blood. CrapcrapcrapcrapCRAP."

Tommy's got a crazy grin on his face now. "Thunderpunch Moog!"

The dragon-like mon takes the hit.

Red: "NOW! SEISMIC TOSS!"

Tempest: "Evasive action!"

Gamebrain: "Iron Defense!"

Charizard grabs Moog, flies straight up.

Past the still clearing clouds.

Almost to the edge of the atmosphere.

And then down.

There will be a crater where it hits, and in the future, legends will be spoken of meteorites hitting there long ago.

But for now, there is only the battle.

Tempest: "Brace for shockwave!"

"MetzzrtMeta. Metagrzzz."

Moog's lurches, sparking, literally 1 hp from being out, and only that thanks to boosting his defense.

Gamebrain: "Alright buddy. Give it one, last blow! Meteor MASH!"

Red smirks as Charizard tanks the blow. "It's been a long time since I've seen fit to use that! Hit him with another. Gently, so he doesn't die."

Tommy pulls Moog Back and shakes his head. "I'm not going to put him through that again. He gave it his all. That's all I can ask."

"Good! Then you know where and when to stop! A trainer should know his limits! Otherwise, he can't push them! You might actually be..." Red stops himself.

"What kind of partner would I be if I didn't?" Tommy pulls out pokeball number 4. "Kuruk? Lets do this."

"Poleon."

"Aquajet."

Charizard takes the hit, and actually falls to one knee.

Gamebrain: "Swords Dance, then Waterfall after that!"

"Charizard, return! Let's see what Ivysaur can do! SOLAR BEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMM!!!!"

It's almost instant, due to the item he's holding. Another wave of energy, and this time, the mountain behind you is destroyed.

Gman: *Why is it always the mountains that suffer?*

Kuruk is still standing, wings crossed in front of him, steam roiling off him as he drops to one knee to.

(No super effective solar beam one hits on this guy. No sirree.)

Gamebrain: "Metal Claw!"

Red: "Now! Take Down!"

The earth crumbles under the clash.

Gman: *I should figure out how to levitate*

Red: "Good job, Ivysaur! hit him with Leech Seed!"

Gamebrain: "Avalanche!"

At this close range, there is no evasion.

The icy rocks crush Ivysaur, who comes out worse for wear.

Red grins. "Sunny Day! Solar Beam!"

The clouds part, almost as though by divine influence.

Gamebrain: "Aquajet!"

The jet hits... just in time for a Point-Blank Solarbeam. This one fires into the sky.

Tempest: "PROTECT!"

When the dust settles, both mons are out. However, there's a content smile on Ivysaur.

Tempest: "ARCEUS ABOVE, WOULD YOU TWO MANIACS WATCH THE FRIENDLY FIRE?!"

And Red looks joyous. "Heh. Heh... Hahahahaha! This is a battle! I actually see it! A smidgeon of a challenge!"

Tommy shakes his head. "Holy crap man." He recalls Kuruk. "You are the man, Kuruk."

Red pulls a Pokeball. "Let's see what else you have! Go, Squirtle!" Squirtle emerges again.

Gamebrain: "Alright. two more. Scratch, lets go." Scizor bursts forth, hovering in the air.

"Sciz. Scizor."

"X-Scissor!"

Squirtle dodges as Red gives his order: "MEGA KICK!"

Gamebrain: "Agility!"

A dent appears on Scizor from the blow, only lessened due to him moving back with Agility.

Gamebrain: "Fury Cutter, and keep em coming!"

Red: "Keep him back with SURF!"

Another tidal wave flies at Scizor. The battlefield, by now, is more mud than dirt. As is the first few miles surrounding it. The crater Charizard created is starting to fill with water.

Gamebrain: "Swords Dance, then Superpower!"

Red: "SKULL BASH!"

As Scizor dances his tribute to the first and last weapon, Squirtle bends down, focuses, and charges. After the clash, another dent is on Scizor's body, but Squirtle has a crack on his shell.

Gamebrain: "Night Slash!"

Red: "Finish it! ICE PUNCH!"

Squirtle falls to his knees, his glasses broken. Then gets up, a mad look in his eyes.

Gamebrain: "Focus Energy, and COUNTER!"

Red: "One MORE HIT! SEISMIC TOSS!" Scizor is grabbed, and thrown. Over the horizon. He comes back a few seconds later, from the other direction, looking like a shooting star.

Luckily, Tommy returns him before he hits the ground. "That was close. You did me proud Scratch. Last one. Hiruzen. Time to go."

"Lucario." Hiruzen glances over his shoulder at Tommy. *I am the last standing?*

"Yeah. But they all did great. It's your turn now, buddy. Lets show him what we can do, huh?"

*As you wish.*

Red: "I think you've had enough fun for now, Squirtle. We can get you new glasses later!" Squirtle is returned. "Now, then... Is it really right to..." He almost hesitates as he reaches for his last Pokeball. "... I'm sure you can handle it." He tosses out his next Pokeball, and this time something you haven't ever seen before comes out.

Tommy looks at the next pokemon, cocks his head.

"What is that?"

*I...do not know.*

Tommy pulls out his pokedex.

<Scanning... Scanning... No data found.>

Tempest: "Daedra, screen capture and transmit to Prof. Berkley. Now. Backup all readings across multiple caches and quintuple encode."

New Pokemon: *Is this truly one who is worthy of my power? Of facing me, as you did so long ago?*

Red: "Yeah. I think he can handle it!"

Tommy jerks, clutching at his head for a moment, before looking around gaze stopping at the unknown pokemon. "Did you...was that, you?"

Gman: *His psychic power...it's...off the charts! Tommy, careful...*

New Pokemon: *Very well. Then let us see if you can face the full force... of MEWTWO!*

Red: "So, how's your Lucario's Aura abilities?" As though on cue, Mewtwo begins charging an Aura Sphere. He raises a single hand, and energy begins charging into a ball above his head, balanced on a single finger.

Bookworm: "We're learning." Tommy Throws his hands up, putting up a Light Screen in front of himself. "Hiruzen. Extremespeed, then Dark Pulse."

The Screen shudders under the force of the attack, despite it not being the target.

Tempest: "Time to do a swap I think. Puck, I'm gonna need you running interference. Ginsu, good job." I release the Honchkrow slightly beneath my Aerodactyl, and hop down, recalling Ginsu as I do.

Mewtwo teleports away from Hiruzen's Extremespeed, above the Dark Pulse, then BEHIND Hiruzen.

Red: "FIRE PUNCH!"

Gamebrain: "Bone Rush!"

Both connect, and Mewtwo slides back. He smirks, dodging the second and third and fourth swipe.

Gamebrain: "Detect, then Dark Pulse again!"

Red: "Prepare a Magic Coat!"

Mewtwo: *With pleasure.*

The Dark Pulse connects, then is redirected at double power back at Hiruzen.

Mewtwo: *That tickled.*

Gamebrain: "Use Magic Coat too, quick!"

Red: "Protect!" The barrier holds up under the twice reflected blast. "Now! Metronome."

The word is spoken with reverence.

Tempest: "That's... a ballsy move."

Gamebrain: "Detect!"

Mewtwo moves his fingers as a metronome... and suddenly starts flailing about. *Damn. Splash.*

Up above, Puck lets out a derisive cawing laugh.

Gamebrain: "Calm Mind. Then Aura Sphere."

Red: "Mewtwo! Psych Up, then Aura Sphere!"

The energy clash can be seen from space. Tommy's eyes close, as he reinforces his lightscreen before being tossed backward, tumbling as it collapses. "Ow. Just. Ow." Tommy drags himself upright, glancing around for Hiruzen, before finding him on one knee some distance away, panting hard.

When the clash is over, Mewtwo is laughing. *This is certainly a good battle. But I can sense you're still able to fight. Come, let us see your limit.*

Gamebrain: "Extreme Speed and then Drain Punch!"

Red: "Once more! Metronome!"

This time, the heavens seem to rip themselves apart, and Judgement comes down upon Hiruzen. Mewtwo takes the Extremespeed, then teleports away, just before Hiruzen is engulfed.

Gamebrain: "NO!"

There is a blinding light, and when it fades, Hiruzen is on the ground, KOed.

Tempest: "What the FUCK was *THAT*!?"

Mewtwo smiles. "That was indeed a good battle. Do not worry, I... held back. He will live."

Tommy pulls himself to his feet, and stumbles toward Hiruzen. "Thank you, for that then." He immediately drops his pack to the ground next to them and starts tending to his team.

"You certainly are strong. Not many can hold for very long against even one of my Pokemon, and you got me to let the whole team fight." Red sits down next to you, releases his Pokemon, and starts tending to them as well.

Tommy gives a weak grin. "Wasn't me. I just let them know what to do."

Red: "It is you, at least partially. Alone, no trainer can have such power, and neither can a Pokemon. You have to be strong, not just as an individual, not just as a duo, but as a team."

Tommy: "I'll try to remember that."

Pikachu smiles.

Eventually they are tended to. Tommy smiles. "You guys all made me proud. You are amazing." Vi is now sitting in Tommy's lap, stealing glances at Pikachu.

Pikachu sends a communication to Vi, over lightning.

Tempest: Puck lands, and as I dismount, I give a whistle, slinging a can of Sparkling Lemonade to Tommy, followed shortly by another one to Red.

"... You know, I actually think Pikachu here really wanted to fight yours." Red takes a swig. "He's your starter, right?"

Vinyl blushes.

Tommy nods. "Yes, though Vinyl is a she. We've been together since I first left Transverse town."

Red frowns in confusion. "... Ah. The Heart Tail. Pikachu in Kanto don't normally have that, even the girls."

"Huh. I didn't know that." Tommy rustles Vi's headfur. "She's always been with me. And I wouldn't have it any other way." Vi scowls and lightly zaps Tommy's hand. "Ow. Okay, okay, sorry. Don't muss the fur in front of the cute boy Pikachu. Right." And he pulls a treat out for her, only to get zapped again, and scowled at. She still takes the treat though.

"Yeah, I could tell. Pikachu is the same for me."

Tempest: I'm eying Mewtwo curiously, but trying to at least be polite about it.

Gman: "John..don't. He's out of our league."

*I am known as Mewtwo,* Mewtwo finally says, looking at John. *My story is... long. And I prefer my privacy. Which is why I intercepted your messages.*

Tempest: "Oh, I know that. I'm interested in... ah, thank you, in Mewtwo here solely as a Researcher and Petrologist. I apologize for the staring, but I was trying to figure out what family you descended from."

Mewtwo chuckles. *It's all in the name. I am... related, shall we say, to Mew. But then, all Pokemon are. As are Humans.*

John nods. "I see. As you've already said you prefer your privacy, I will not pry any further."

Red smiles. "Met him back in Kanto. We had an epic showdown, and he decided I was interesting."

Tempest: "What exactly brought you all the way out to Myneo? I mean, most of the gym leaders here are all some variety of insane, including sociopathic killers, or at least there were in the past."

Tommy holds a hand up and points at the sky from where he is laying on his back. "Hey, I'm working on the Gym leader thing."

"I've had a lot of adventures, kid. I've been looking for someone who can challenge me, as of late." He looks at Tommy. "You... You and your team are definitely the closest to a challenge that I've found... Perhaps... perhaps I'm insane, too. Looking for a challenge that isn't even there."

Tommy laughs. "Nah. We're all a little crazy. Some people just show it more than others."

Tempest: "We've all got our own little pieces of insanity; our own obsessions if you will."

Gman: "Speak for yourself."

Tommy says one word, pointing at Tyson. "Fire."

Gman: "Fire is my element."

Tempest: "Alex (Vael) and his thing with Jade (Gym Leader in first Town)..."

Tommy points at John. "Rocks."

Red: "Heh. You know, you remind me of someone I met, a long time ago. A really strong trainer. Not as strong as I am now, but he was strong. I used to meet up with him, in Johto. We'd fight, I'd win, we'd try again later." He sighs. "And no matter how hard either of us tried, I simply. couldn't. lose." (In this canon, Red won his battle against Gold on Mt. Silver.)

Gamebrain: "Sounds like a stubborn guy. Good for him."

Red: "... After a while, he stopped showing up."

Tempest: "You ever thought of branching out into different types of challanges, beyond just pure battling?"

Red: "Oh, I tried. Pokeathlons. Contests. I think I once did a few movies. But it never felt right."

Tommy scratches behind Vinyl's ear where she's sitting on his chest. "There's just something about battles. It's different from everything else."

Red: "See, you get it. But it's been too long since I've had a decent match, where I could really just... cut loose."

Tempest: "Have you ever tried to, you know, just take some downtime and unwind? If all you're doing is battling, maybe you're just too keyed up? I mean, I'm a petrologist, not a psychologist, so take that diagnosis as you will."

Red: "Once or twice. Dated a girl or two. I think I have one for every region, cept Johto, and here in Myneo."

Tempest: "Word of advice. The Transverse Town Leader? Off limits. One of our buddies has a thing for her, I think they're finally going steady now."

Tommy snorts.

Red: "Noted. Anyways, I tried, but always ended up feeling restless, you know?"

John nods. "I think I do. For me it's never enough to find one dig and to excavate it. I'm always on the lookout for the next one, always got my ear to the ground for that next snippet of legend that'll lead me to the next big find."

"Yeah. I never really stopped looking for that kid, and looking forward to the day I could face him, show him how much stronger I'd become, and see how much stronger he became. The gap between my childhood rival and I kept growing... He retired, became a Professor. I took part in a few tournies, for the elite, but no one ever came close. Well, until you showed up."

Tommy reddens. "Err. Thanks."

"So," Red grins as he gets up. "How about we meet up again some time? I know a place where we can battle without limits, and without having to worry about..."

He looks around.

"Collateral damage."

Gamebrain: "Heh. Sure."

Gman: "Given your power. I don't think any place on Earth would be safe."

Tommy rolls his eyes. "So dramatic Tyson."

Tempest: "There's a reason they only hold the League battles in certain areas of the world. They're the only places on earth that can bear the attacks being brought to bear on them."

Red returns his Pokemon, except for Charizard. "Meet me over by Cross-Check City some time. I'll set up a boat for us."

Gamebrain: "I look forward to it."

"Well then, I'll see ya then!" Red climbs aboard his Charizard, and flies away.

Tommy sits up, and waves as he flys away. Once he's out of sight, he flops back onto his back. "That...was frickin' insane. And kick ass."

Tempest: "Yes, yes it was." I hold up my pokedex. "Daedra, rescind encryption order. Delete all data on unknown entity."
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby gamebrain89 » February 8th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Same Pokemon game as above. The group had split up for a couple days to do what ever they like in the new town.

Having spent the morning of his solo day trying to convince the local Gym Leader to help fix an issue Tommy had run across at the beach the previous night, only to end up scheduling a Gym Challenge the next day to get the guy to listen, Tommy looked at his pichu, and with determination in his eyes, set off to train.

On the way to the beach, he runs into a Rattata, wild, just wandering the streets. So Tommy thinks, Eh, why not. And challenges it. It obliges and....one shots my Pichu. The Demon Spawn of Joey's Rattata takes out my poor Pichu in a single tackle. Tommy calls her back, and sets out the Grimer he caught the night before. Grunge tries to use Pound....and misses. For reference, alot of lower level moves like Pound and Thundershock and the like have a AC check of 2. So to hit the target, you have to roll a 2 or better on a d20. I rolled a freaking natural 1. the next round goes better, with Grunge making a hit, and dealing some decent damage while the Rattata uses Focus Energy. Which then promptly nabs a Crit the next turn, one shotting my Grimer.

At this point my reaction is "...what. the. hell." So I send out my last pokemon. A Scyther that Tommy is rather leery about using because its a Shadow Pokemon that he just got after an encounter with a Cipher goon. For those not familiar with Pokemon Colosseum or XD, Shadow Pokemon are hardcore. They've had their positive emotions locked away, can use really hard hitting shadow moves, and can and will attack their trainers. It takes alot of work to purify them and reverse the process that did this. And I've only had this guy for a day. At this point I tossed a ball at the little Demon and caught it rather than try to attack again.

After a trip to the Center to heal up the team, and a pep talk for my Grimer and Pichu, I finally made it to the beach. Vinyl, my Pichu, got to battle a bunch of wingull, totally owned them and then evolved during the battle, which was followed by a Pikachu cackling madly and finishing the group off.

We set off down the beach, walking along looking for other stuff for my little sparkplug to battle, when this happens.
Coming closer, you see... A red fish. Flopping wildly about.
Your dex scans it as a Magikarp.

Tommy: *sweatdrop* Oookay...

My OoC process at this moment is. Meh. Magikarp. Not even worth wasting a Thundershock on. Tommy is a thirteen year old kid who wants to be a gym leader, and eventually an Elite. So

Tommy: "Well, even if you're a sad little fish now you're gonna be something scary later. soo...let me help you out with that."

He picks it up and drops it back into the water.
It falls in, swims a bit against the waves, and then washes back up on shore.

Tommy picks it up again, wades further out, lets it go, and it washes back to shore again.

I'm thinking this is entirely too much trouble over a magikarp. But its in character soo...Tommy picks it up, and wades even further out. He looks down at the dopey little fish, and asks "You ready for this?"

It nods, determined.
Tommy: CHUCK IT!
It flies through the air, hits the water, and starts swimming foward a bit...
Tommy: "Go, go go!"
: It swims harder...
And harder... and harder...
Tommy: "Keep going!"
And then a wave starts coming at it and you.
"KAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPP!!"
Tommy: "Of course."
It pushes against the wave, and breaks through!

"KAAARRRRPPP!!"

It glows.

Tommy: *Wide eyes*

"GYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!"

A giant blue serpent crashes into the waves.

Tommy: "Wow."

It swims a bit further, then leaps into the air, giving a cry in your direction.

Tommy blankly waves back, eyes wide and staring.

It leaps up again, and fires a beam of energy into the skies. Which the entire town can see.
Tommy's just a LITTLE shocked, but cant help but feel good about it. So he goes about his business, and ends up back at the junk pile where he caught his grimer. Its around dark, and it turns out theres a Rotom possessing the junk. And it comes after him, poisoning Vinyl and looking rather menacing. And no matter how hard I try, the Dice will. not. let. me. escape. You have to roll above a certain number on a d20 to successfully escape, I think its an 11. And I rolled a 4, 3, 5 and 7.

So my badly poisoned Pikachu is zapping at it but doing very little, when all of a sudden the Gyarados pops out of the sea and starts blasting Dragon Rages at the thing, and manages to run it off. A wild level 25 Gyarados is sitting there, having just saved my life. And I CAN'T CATCH IT.

In character, Tommy's scared crapless, and the gyarados just saved him, so he doesn't even think about catching it. He thanks it, strokes its head fins and suggests they both get out of there before the Junk Rotom comes back. They do. Afterward, JtF and I are talking.

JTF: I still can't believe you didn't take the chance to capture a gosh darned LVL25 Gyarados Ash-Style. I was afraid you would and make everyone jealous, but you didn't! Dang.

Gamebrain: I really really wanted to.
*Bashes head against the wall* Why. Did. That. Have. To. Be. So. Out. Of. Character.

JtF: I'm sure he'll be back. You don't help a magikarp evolve, then let it go TWICE without rewards. When you see it again...

I'm still grinning about it. It was an awesome one on one session.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby gman391 » March 11th, 2013, 11:24 pm

So I got involved in a Legend of the Five Rings game.
Premise of the game is basically fantasy Japan set in China. Actually drew on it a lot when coming up with Samurai Quest. (Should update that)
Anyways so playing this game. I'm playing a Kitsuki Investigator (Essentially a clan of Sherlock Holmesian Samurai)
Game is set in a castle for one of the Imperial Families. Usual meet and greet.
Get invited to see a new snow sculpture. Come in to see a Crane tearing into a younger Samurai.
Decide to help the guy and troll the Crane

Crane slaps me down with a fairly good come back (We're talking epic burn) backed up by a great roll 51

GM informs me that if I don't make a good comeback I'm going down in Honour. I don't want that but don't think I can win, so try to get a tie in this social combat so I don't lose Honour at least.

Roll a 74, I destroyed her. (According to the book anything over 60 is considered impossible to normal people)
Now the way it works in game is that you roll a pool of d10's and keep however many based on a trait add them together for how high your roll is. Higher equals good. Lower equals bad. 10's are added to your count but you get to reroll them
I roll 5 tens in a row with the dice roller. Then a 9, 8 and 7

So I'm just looking at it with shock
A Samurai who is more or less a career cop has just verbally smacked down one of the most skilled courtiers in the game,
Feels good.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby SLAMU » March 12th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Speak truth to power! Hannibal Lecture! Tell them "That's just how I roll!"
SLAMU

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games