Memorable pen and paper gaming moments

Memorable pen and paper gaming moments

Unread postby Darkandus » December 13th, 2008, 12:39 pm

I started this thread to share stories about situations you've gotten into and heard about, both epic in awesomness and stupidity. The first game of DnD I ever played our group including the DM were all new to the game. The scenario we had was we were exploring an abandoned mine. We came to a tunnel at a sharp incline downwards with no light source and a decrept rail with a cart sitting on it going down. So in his infinate wisdom the rogue while ignoring our AND the DM's advice hopped into the mining cart and went down the slope. Lets just say that particular character is probably still falling down an endless chasm.

The moral of the story is when even the DM tells you it's a stupid idea, it's a really, really, really stupid idea.

A story I heard once was from Shadowrun. I'm not up on all the details but apparently a group was offered a job by a Great Dragon. A new character which had been created by a newb decided it would be a great idea to turn down the job. The GM took pity on him and had the Great Dragon be good natured enough to not kill him and the party outright for turning down his (high paying) job. He was going to let them go on their merry way.

Then the stupid A** who shot off his mouth to the great dragon went and pulled a gun on the dragon.

Apparently thats the worst decision the GM or any of the other players had ever seen anyone make. Needless to say the party stood back to let the idiot take his fire bath before taking the mission and making a very healthy profit.

The final story I shall tell you today is of the misadventures of a group of warriors, a chimera and my really, really crappy Lawful Good Necromancer (don't ask). We had been doing really well and the guys were all full of confidence after clearing out a small fort so they decided to go check out the adjoined Chimera nest. So everythings going great, We find him and proceed to whale on him. However he only seems a bit damaged and proceeds to kick our asses around the place, in one turn eveone has half their health gone. The next two rounds proceed in a similar fashion leaving me and a dwarf the last ones standing. So everyone's unconcious, I'm only standing because of one of my feats and the dwarf is almost in minus figures. The Chimera is in pretty bad shape but he's airborne and we can't reach him normally. We know we're dead next round so we do the only thing we can think of. I tell him to toss me towards him. He figures why not, were dead anyway and he rolls a natural twenty, sending me sailing towards the Chimera, the staff in my hand raised over my shoulder like a trowing spear. I roll a twenty. He rolls a double zero. My staff goes sailing at him, his mouths open wide in a roar. The staff goes down into the middle one, lodging in his throat. He's suffocating. I'm falling towards the ground, seeing my death before me. I hit the ground making a nice dent as the Chimera crash lands and dies. The kicker was the staff I threw was a resurrection staff. Needless to say I was ressurected when the Paladin was healed and the guys couldn't say my character was useless anymore. Good times.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Re: Memorable pen and paper gaming moments

Unread postby Mantis » April 5th, 2009, 7:27 pm

"Would somebody please open the gate and let the thief in?"

I was playing the old Against the Giants AD&D modules with a bunch of college friends. The thief in our party had a climb walls skill of about 95%, but unfortunately his player had a real talent for rolling 99's and 00's on the percentile dice. The whole party had traversed the roof of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftain and rappelled down into a side courtyard, except the thief, whose appalling role indicated that he'd somehow manage to lose his grip on the guide rope (placed there by my wizard character using a Fly spell) and tumble off the roof. With the rest of us inside, he simply walked around to the gate into that courtyard and knocked.
Mantis

Unread postby bibliophile20 » April 5th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Moved Topic to appropriate forum

I haven't been playing long enough to accumulate too many of those moments as of yet... but I do have some good ones. Personally, I shall always treasure the looks of horror on my players faces when they went aboard a derelict ship... and found that the crew had been made into zombies. Of the flesh-eating, fast-moving, animal-cunning, pack-hunting and infectious variety. :devil

And the other favorite moment... oh, yes. Tempest Kisune's poor choice for a spittoon in the VoIP Shadowrun game. That was epic funny. (Sorry, Sean, but it was. And it's not like I didn't have my own idiot moments.)
bibliophile20

Unread postby Chuckg » April 5th, 2009, 8:21 pm

In a superhero campaign I was in, one of my fellow players (online handle 'Pendaran') was rp'ing the team leader, 'Horus-Re' an ancient demigod of a long-forgotten pantheon, the son of the sun god. A mixed Thor/Black Adam homage, basically.

After a session where he found out that the newest member of the team, a young innocent girl with 'cosmic power', was actually a person hosting the amnesiac remnant of an archangel... the very next thing he roleplayed was flying up to the very edge of Earth's atmosphere, facing out into the starry sky, and delivering a speech directly to the Source (to use DC comics terminology).
"I must apologize for one more thing to You while I can, even if it is in advance. As I say, she does well with Your power.

Beings such as You and I, are forceful, powerful, granted grace and majesty as part of our nature, to the point where what innate goodness, strength and wonder such as resides in a young woman could be overwhelmed.

I will not allow it.

What good she does, she will do. What grace she has, will come from herself. Your power and essence will continue to aid this world, to save this world... but it will do so through her. I ask, if You can be aware of such a thing, to be content with such a thing."

There is goodness enough in her that should be allowed to be nurtured, allow to flourish. Do that instead. Aid in that instead. For if You seek to do otherwise, if You seek to overtake her...

... we will have words, You and I.
It takes some serious roleplaying props to convincingly deliver an Intimidation roll on God Almighty. But he managed.

Edit: Oh, note. That speech was extemporaneous. He delivered it entirely off the cuff. Man, never game with a Classics major if you want to be the group's best orator, you'll totally get blown away every single time. :)
Last edited by Chuckg on April 5th, 2009, 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckg

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 5th, 2009, 8:25 pm

:shock: Dang, that's some serious chops on that guy.

@ Bibliophile: Yeah, that'll be the last time that I play a nationality stereotyped as being hotheads. My Russian Dwarf Face made the mistake of spitting on a body in contempt. Without any C-squared on it afterward. Right before we dropped it on an Oyabun's private villa. Where it scored a direct hit through the skylight. And the corpses' reinforced spine sliced the Oyabun's favorite misstress in two from crown to crotch. While she was lounging in the pool under the skylight. Just as the Oyabun walked in.

Of course, he had to get a complete gene-tweak afterward.

Of course there's also the time that my bounty-hunter, who didn't have any real form of ID, thought he'd be able to board a plane. He ended up making it back out of the airport without attracting too much notice, but not before having to dump his suit he'd just had tailored especially for this mission into the incinerator. And then placing a call to the talk show that was hosting the guy who was the group he was supposed to have gone withs client, and asking all sorts of questions about technomancy and whether it was a teachable talent. Bibliophile's character was so incensed by what he saw as a breach of security and trust, that he e-mailed my character, telling him that not only was his character going to be coming after him once they returned to Seattle, but the ENTIRE GROUP was after his hide, which included some damn scary individuals. My guy immediately went to ground, fleeing all the way to Japan, and not answering a single message from the rest of the group for fear that it was a setup to lure him out of hiding. But on the other hand, it did set him up so he was available to save a NPC that had left the group and was in some big damn trouble, where she would have died in any other scenario.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby SLAMU » April 6th, 2009, 3:02 pm

Well, there was this one time where our group was beset by an irate group of ninja cats and Celestial felines...

Our (exclusively evil) group has entered a town, and the charachters with positive INT modifiers are roleplaying with a crazy cat lady, trying to get her to reveal the location of the hidden rebel base. Small talk, eating her homemade cookies, subtley pumping her for info. We had wisely left the half-orc barbarian outside so as not to scare the poor dear. What we didn't do was leave behind a babysitter. Thog gets bored. Thog pulls out his +4 compound longbow and starts using the kitties as target practice. At about the same time our assasin, who had been casing the joint, discovers a peculiar guilded platter in a hidden room. Klepto that he is, he lifts it and returnst to the group. Turns out that the old lady is a cultist of Pelor, and not only did the theft of the platter summon a pair of celestial cats, news of Thog's mistreatment of the poor cats out front had reached the ears of the local kitty dojo. After five minutes, we were fleeing for our lives from a hoard of hissing, spitting assasins led by deific agents throwing around *smite evil*s like there was a clearence sale, all the while dragging Thog with us because *he* wanted to leap into the fray.

On a related note, this was the same encounter that inspired Thof to fasion a saddle for the half-ogre and ride him into battle later. :oops: Thog was the source and solution to many of our troubles.
SLAMU

Unread postby ecs05norway » April 13th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Out of some wiseass impulse to prove that "starting characters don't have to be wusses", I ran a one-shot Feng Shui scenario at a con a few years back. I picked as my characters: Indiana Jones, Ranma Saotome, John McClaine, James Bond, Lara Croft, and Amanda DuCharme.

The group was running through a fairly basic rescue-the-girl-from-the-necromancer-gangster plotline when, having discovered that the necromancer had set the building on fire, the guy playing Ranma chased the necromancer to the top of the stairs... and pulled off a jump-kick.

And rolled a triple critical success.

He not only killed the necromancer, he body-surfed the corpse down the stairs to the exit, clearing a path through the burning debris for the rest of the party to make their escape.
ecs05norway

Unread postby Darkandus » April 13th, 2009, 11:03 pm

There are no words to accurately discribe how epic that sounds.
Darkandus

Unread postby forbin » April 14th, 2009, 1:01 am

Well......

Recently (read a few weeks ago) the campaign that Runsamok and Viridian were running hit a little bit of a snag. We had decided to move the campaign in a different direction and so everybody created new characters. The basis of this new game was going to be non-humans enlisting in the Imperial army in order to earn citizenship. We had just about wrapped up our basic training when disaster struck.

All of our characters had just gotten back to our barracks after completing an obstacle course complete with mud pits and wall climbs, and several of us had not successfully jumped over/avoided the mud pits. The higher ups had graciously allowed us to clean ourselves up and had provided a large cauldron of boiling water that we carried from the mess hall to our bunk house.

While most of us where scooping out small amounts of water and letting it cool before starting to wash off, Lindsey came up with a cunning plan to get her character clean real fast. She jumped into the cauldron. Having misremembered the effects of a spell her character had cast upon herself, she managed to create one of the most memorable TPWs I've ever been involved in.

When our superiors found a boiled anthropomorphic cat woman in our barracks, they naturally assumed that the inhuman natures of our characters had just been too strong and we were unable to restrain ourselves from trying to eat one of our squad mates. We were summarily court martialed and sent to the quarries to break rocks for god only knows how long.

Once the players picked up their jaws off the ground, we decided to take a little bit of a break and then do a reboot with new characters and going for the same theme. We'd be new recruits going into the army to earn our citizenship again, just at a slightly later date. And this spawned one of the most hilariously awesome NPCs we've encountered so far. Our drill sergeant who continuously railed on us all to fight against our "unnatural cannibalistic urges". Matt does a scary good imitation of R. Lee Ermey. Hmm.... maybe we can get him to make a recording of that and then link it someplace, just thinking about that voice and phrase gives me the giggles.

And don't worry Lindsey, we still love you. It's just that this story will never, ever, ever, go away. It's just too awesome.
[Bored Moderator - Mod posts shall be in this color]
forbin

Unread postby Wittgen » April 14th, 2009, 2:36 am

:rollin: Wait, why did she think that jumping into boiling water was going to work?

That reminds me of another time that misunderstanding of the situation in a game of D&D can end painfully. We were playing in that D&D mecha campaign where the moon totally hates all things living. Anyway, we were in some ancient temple or another, and the first thing that happens is my paladin, wearing shiny new full plate, falls down a trap door and into a lake. Yeah, goodbye armor. Rejoining the group took a lot of time, but when I did, I found utter chaos.

The dwarven engineer guy had put on magic amulet that flipped his alignment from neutral good to neutral evil. The sorcerer had found a pit full of zombies and responded by dumping a bunch of alchemists fire on them. This did not kill the zombie. It just made zombies that were also on fire. And the pilot, well the pilot had had some bad cheese and been warp touched. His intelligence and wisdom were hovering around five, and he was role playing this for all it was worth.

So something makes the pilot want to try and jump the flaming zombie pit. This is a bad idea, so our rogue decides to stop him by kicking his legs out from under him. Unfortunately, the rogue didn't appreciate how far away from the pit he had to be for this plan to actually work. One 20 later, and the rogue has viciously and beautifully kicked the legs out from under pilot guy.

Sending him head first into a pit full of flaming zombies.
Wittgen

Unread postby forbin » April 14th, 2009, 1:24 pm

Niiiiiice.

And to answer your question about the boiling water, Lindsey was playing a Dragonfire Adept: a class that has at will spell like abilities called invocations. One of these invocations allows the Adept to render people they choose to be immune to their dragonlike breath weapon and also give the benefits of being resistant to extreme climate changes. Lindsey misremembered the spell description and thought it gave her immunity to heat damage. I think Matt ruled that it was going to be 10d6 damage for exposure to the hot water and she only had ~20 hit points. Matt rolled somewhere around 40-50. Instakill.
forbin

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 17th, 2009, 1:28 am

Okay, here's another from the same game. We were in a battle against two coral golems, a green hag, and sundry other critters. We'd dropped everything but the golems, which it turned out, were immune to magic, rendering quite a few options we thought we'd had impotent. Matt's playing a half-dragon character of some sort with the "enlarge" invocation. He goes from Large, to Huge, and begins grappling with one of the golems. He manages to completely overpower the golem, so badly in fact, that he picks it up and begins to use it as a melee weapon against the other golem!
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Wittgen » April 17th, 2009, 3:11 am

I so desperately want to partake in that campaign. Absolutely epic.
Wittgen

Unread postby Chuckg » April 21st, 2009, 1:03 am

And, another one I just remembered, for my friend Pendaran.

It was a play-by-post game on Herocentral -- an 'Avengers, the Next Generation' style campaign where everybody created Marvel OCs based on descendants of various Avengers or supporting cast.

The press conference where the founding of the team has just been announced saw one reporter ask a hurtful question to the Vision's daughter Cinnabar, who didn't deal well with her emotions to begin with... and her teammate Kolbrandr, son of Balder, stepping in to grab the mike and have Pendaran yet again unleash his epic oratorical skills:
"This is a question for Cinnabar," a reporter speaks out. "But I'd also like to throw it open to any and all the other new Avengers to hear their take on the matter. Cinnabar, your father's death was a terrible blow -- not just to you personally, but to the other heroes around the country, and to the nation as a whole. But his death brought home an important (and often overlooked) truth about superheroic activities -- that sometimes the good guys don't win. Can you share with us your feelings on this dangerous, potentially deadly job you're about to take on? "

Kolbrandr lets the silence draw out a few moments more before he again shifts forward, drawing attention to himself. He does not smile, and the resolve in his expression is steely, his tone fierce.

"Unseemly sir. Unseemly. I do not speak of so overly grim and wounding a question on a day of revels, but rather, thy implication on valour. On sacrifice. "sometimes the good guys don't win"? I say thee nay, nay a thousand times! Every moment of the Vision's life and death was triumph, was victory. Hast thou not taken notice that for every hero, there rampages a whole gallery of villains? That in the history of the champions of Midgard, it is often the appearance of such vileness that brings forth warriors to oppose it, despite the treacher words of the virtueless that imply the opposite?

It is the burden all men bear that there is as much baseness in their souls as there is sterling nobility, and all too many are lured in by the easy temptations of their darker selves. And yet the Vision, though made in darkness, with the mind and soul of a man he embraced virtue. And yet the Vision stood with his fellows as exemplar shining, proclaiming to the world that we can be that better part of ourselves. That we can stand against evil, though it seem about us as the endless sea.

And thou dares't.. thou /dares't/ to say that his death had greater power to hurt us, than his life had to teach us? To enoble us? Little wonder that Cinnabar should not respond to thy words, to hear them is to be enraged at the apparent failure on thy part to have let his heroism reach thee.

To judge the measure of a man by tragedy, is easy. Evil, is easy. To rise to the good in us, to be the people we should be, is so hard that it should be seen as the peerless miracle and true wonder of this earth that we so rise. It can be so fragile a grace that without those to show us it can be done, we would be lost.

From his life to his death, the Vision spent nearly every moment so showing. There are heroes now because of it. There are heroes standing before you because of it. The Vision did his part to ensure that good would not pass from this world to let evil stand unchallenged. The blow his death dealt? To the very last, he has given us strength that helps us stand unbowed! Is that not a worthy life? Is that not a worthy death? How can any man dare to rob him of that legacy in how he is remembered?

The true dolorous stroke would be to forget that. The true dolorous stroke would be to let his memory stand not for strength, but sorrow.

It is the doom of the valiant to so rarely leave this world peacefully. But it is their greatest gift to leave it inspired to greater bravery and virtue of spirit still. From the most mortal of local constables to the most cosmic of titans, that is the best of what their heroism gives us. In ever continuing that legacy, in ever rising to the challenge of nobility, in the spite of pain, of trauma, of tragedy, or even at times the world itself, the.. good guys.. /always/ win. The fight itself, is victory.

It is that, as Avengers, that is the most worthy of the tasks before us that we swear ourselves to. To be the heroes of today. To inspire the heroes of tomorrow. To show always, in life or death, sadness or glory, that we will e'er battle to keep goodness in this world, that so long as we have ensured that there are souls about us fired to embrace their own virtue, it will not matter if or when we pass from this world. We will have won. Let that be what thou commemorate. Let that pledge be what drives us to celebrate this day. Let us as one roar challenge into the fetid sea of evil and send it blasted back, tremulous and craven. So says the son of Balder!"
Chuckg

Unread postby Greybane » April 21st, 2009, 11:06 am

O.k. I got one.

I'm in a level 2 party (we just started out) and a halfling rouge/wizard. A trap is sprung that I didn't notice, and our employer goes running madly ahead of the rest of the party. We run to catch up and end up getting caught up in some traps, and then get lost and delayed for a few hours. Our monk keeps insisting we go forward to rescue him, as there are signs of blood and no corpse. Eventually, we reach this massive cave, and standing there in the middle of this bridge across a chasm leading into a waterfall, is the fighter.

Our party consists of this. A human monk with two thirds of his life gone, my halfling rogue 1 wizard 1 with half my life gone to subdual damage frome some pretty epic mind screw illusions, and a conjurer at mostly full health. (Our bard was absent that session, and no one was able to cordinate classes before the sessions started. Of course someone will be the cleric, just not me...) I casst message, and the resulting conversation leads me to belive he is possesed. Our monk goes charging on ahead, flurry of blows for 5 damage. Doesnt even do anything. As the conjurer and I run up behind he gets knocked out in one blow. I run up and with my two daggers try to guard his unconcious body. The conjuer fails to enchant him which leads to some out of game screaming about you some stuff you idiot! His attack fails and i catch it on my daggers that are held defensively. (AC is 20 because of that).

I attack, untrained in fighting two handed, and I decide to fight defensively, for a total penalty for -5 after all is said and done. I roll a 20. I roll again for crit, and a 20. Now I think awesome I dont want to kill him, but I have to roll for instakill. I roll a 20. The DM doesnt want her NPC to die so she says my 1d3 daggers will do some x4 crit damage instead of x2. I dont want to kill him so I agree, but she makes me roll again to get the extra crit. Of course a 20 popped up. Apperantly she decides that God mus wnat this person dead so my halfting jumps up two feet, slides both knoves through the coratid arteries, into the spinal column, and then falls wretching them out as I go.

The thing is, she told me later that we took the worst possible route at every sing intersection we came across, and this guy was CR7 to a full rested party when possesed.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby SLAMU » April 21st, 2009, 1:04 pm

When the Random Number God wants someone dead, they die. *nods sagely*
SLAMU

Unread postby runsamok » April 21st, 2009, 11:01 pm

Hello,

In one of the Shadowrun game sessions that Matthew GM'd, we fought a serial killer who conjured blood spirits from the bodies of his victims. My PC had very weak magic, one spell she knew, and was caught in a binding spell that immobilizing her completely because she was also not strong enough to break free. She was not going to be able to cast a spell effectively and couldn't move to use a normal weapon.

So she decided to leave her immobilized body, travel astrally to where he was, and then manifest so that she was visible right behind and above him. She covered his eyes with her hands, and taunted him, saying "Nyah, nyah, you can't see!" Because she was manifested physically, he couldn't see around the hands that she placed over the villain's eyes. He couldn't remove her hands without attacking her, which meant he couldn't do anything else that round. She had a trickster mindset so she loved to play nasty tricks on bad people, including this villain.

She was knocked back into her body by a backhand slap from the villain that nearly (but not quite) killed her, but he could not cast any offensive spells that required line of sight (and many of them do) that round. This saved several characters who would have died a few seconds later, because the villain was planning to cast a big area effect fire spell and destroy several of the injured, unconscious, and dying who were immobilized by the binding spell.
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby forbin » April 27th, 2009, 12:21 am

Imagine standing at the top of an underground shaft, cylindrical in shape, approximately 400 feet tall. Within the shaft is some kind of ominous looking machine, 300 feet tall, expelling gouts of steam and heat. You do not know what exactly this machine does, or what is powering it. Now imagine that there are several innocent people being kept prisoner down at the bottom near the machine and you along with your companions need to save these people. After some sneaking about you've managed to retrieve the prisoners without too much difficulty, and actually without having to confront the people keeping them captive.

Now as you are making your escape, with the people you have freed, a member of your team (let's call this hypothetical person Tempest Kitsune) decides it would be a good idea to do a little destruction before leaving. So before the rescuees are completely clear, or even telling his team-mates what he's doing, he drops some heavy explosive down the shaft.

Now imagine that the machine is powered by something along the lines of Naquadah from Stargate, only it induces mutation in the people it touches and dissolves stone metal, flesh and bone. This is the stuff of raw chaos we're talking about.

After imagining that, picture the fact that this underground shaft is actually located directly underneath an apartment complex with several hundred unexpecting people in and around it. Of ~250 people affected by the explosion of highly toxic and mutagenic substance, 30 survived. Of those 30 many would die, suffering from horrible mutations and wracking pain.

Once you have this image in your head you'll have some idea as to what happened in our latest DnD campaign session. Unfortunately, we survived. Alive with the guilt of being involved with the deaths of hundreds, and inflicted with quite a few unpleasant additions to our bodies. Also we quite possibly are responsible for furthering the goals of several evil groups and helping to free several beings along the lines of Cthulu from the prison they were trapped in.

Congratulations Tempest Kitsune, you've managed to top the kitty cat boiling incident caused by runsamok. :D
forbin

Unread postby viridian » April 27th, 2009, 12:37 am

Okay, here's another from the same game. We were in a battle against two coral golems, a green hag, and sundry other critters. We'd dropped everything but the golems, which it turned out, were immune to magic, rendering quite a few options we thought we'd had impotent. Matt's playing a half-dragon character of some sort with the "enlarge" invocation. He goes from Large, to Huge, and begins grappling with one of the golems. He manages to completely overpower the golem, so badly in fact, that he picks it up and begins to use it as a melee weapon against the other golem!
The reason he went ape-doodoo was the fact that his eldritch glaive didn't work worth a darn against the magic immune golems... which completely ticked him off. (And me.) So after a couple of attacks that were completely useless I went for a grapple to keep them from bypassing me and whaling on the crunchies behind me. And then I crit on the grapple check and Lindsey (the GM) just stares at me when I ask her how much damage a golem does when wielded as a two-handed weapon... :mrgreen:
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby AntiNaba » April 27th, 2009, 12:50 am

Consulting the table of Ouch whenever you sustain a critical fail or a massive amount of damage, I think, was the defying moment that scared me off tabletop games. Oh New Zealand style Shadowrun, thou art a terror.

Does that count? :blah!:
AntiNaba

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » April 28th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I'm so sad I wasn't there for that, Tempest...

Topped the kitty incident?

Arg! So sad!...
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Kal » May 4th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Alright, it has been a bit since I have played any games (so sad) but I still have a couple of points that I felt the need to share, because closing in on a decade later, they still make me smile.

Back in collage a group of friends began our very first campaign. The group was 3 girls with the DM the lone guy. We played an average of once a week for about 4 years in this story arc... It began as 2 of our characters ran out of our village with the young traveling priest because we refused to be married. (This is the type of plot that only seems to work well with female players, oddly enough). We ended with 7 girls and 2 guys plus the same DM.

Here are a few scenarios:

Death scene: Vampire castle on the edge of a cliff has an underground lair for his pet dragon with his coffin at the center of the underground lake. "Fire Mage likes fireball", the rogue is good with a rope, the priest has a very strong grip, and an insane character is just fine with sacrificing himself to keep the said Vamp underwater with an enchanted sword in its back in the wave that pours the lake out of the side of the mountain.

Use of magic: After looting a apparently abandoned dragons lair, the party split up to do prayers, personal hygiene, read, and inventory. The 2 lowest level players remained (the bard and ranger) remained at the camp to organize their loot. It turns out the lair was not actually abandoned, and the dragon hunted down the party and begun attacking the 2 PCs. It takes several rounds of their screaming while fighting for the other party members to arrive. Winning the initiative, the mage responds with a perfect set of D20s to put the fireball down the throat of the green dragon. Acid and fire are not a good internal combination. The party then had quite a bit of dragon hide.

Alt: attempting to battle tolls -- polymorph other. Ever see a butterfly that can regenerate itself?

Alt: (if only for the oops factor) chain lightning cast in a tunnel against 3 targets. Interestingly, paladins and priests are both rather durable despite being encased in a lightning rod (armor). (The mage was required to give an oath that she would never, ever, do that again.)

Alt: to scatter the rank and file of a pirate crew, the mage turns into a dragon (polymorph self) and flies into the throng. This allows the fighter a clean hit on the distracted leader who can't help but look up at the large creature flying at him.

Alt: mageling apprentice decides to take on the vampire in mid-air. A combination of protection from fire and fly puts her right to grapple range. Silly vampires thought it was a good idea to grab her. She thought it was a good idea to center a fireball on herself.

Use of priest and mage abilities combined: Same vampire confrontation as directly above. Large lake, holy water, water elemental. 'Nuff said.

Rogue abilityies: While the others were intent on solving the clue of who is the werewolf, the rogue is enjoying relaxing in the manor house of said werewolf. The rest of the party follows clues that lead them to being trapped in the parlor of the house, with the werewolf taunting them about hiding in plain sight, and that she will be enjoying them in a matter of minutes. Rouge has come back downstairs for "a nightcap" (read - casing the joint), she accidently walks into the room behind the werewolf, and, after hearing the death threat, critical backstabs for max damage with her +2 longsword that she stole.

Alt: rogue has come up against the thieves guild leader (several levels her better, too) who's methods are a bit too brutal for her taste to join. While he is determined to get rid of the competition, she is content with getting rid of a murderer. They meet up accidently in bar, where the hand-to-hand combat that follows would have been well scripted for Jackie Chan. Neither had any real weapons on them, but the 30+ round fight began with using a plate for a throwing disk, an upturned table for a shield, and a bottle of spirits for a vintage Molotov Cocktail. It ended with a flying backflip off the chandler and out the window to safety.

There are more, but those of some of my favorite moments.
Kal

Unread postby kyuubigan » May 7th, 2009, 3:37 pm

When I first started table-top rpgs, I was playing with some guys at the local hobby shop. The party had been riding on the trail for a few days, and came upon a rather large walled city. The guard asked a simple question:

"What brings you here?"

Our half-drow rogue/bard answered without missing a beat:

"Horses."

That was the defining moment of Phaun, quite possibly one of the greatest characters ever rolled in our years of playing together.
kyuubigan

Unread postby AntiNaba » May 7th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Ah, I remember a good ol' time when I had a level 22 General Mage and the Improved alarcity ability. Not willing to bungle through the usual horde of orcs, goblins and kobolds, yonder mage cast Death fog and then Greater Shout.

The result? I possessed the only character who could seemingly wipe out an entire army by burping.

And don't even get me started on the meme involving an immovable rod-CLANG.
AntiNaba

Unread postby bibliophile20 » May 7th, 2009, 4:46 pm

I know of one Mutants & Masterminds game where they deliberately invoked tropes and running gags for additional xp; my personal favorites were the ones involving the skillful character forgetting something--a tool, a key, tying his shoes--and, in the style of Candle Jack, mentioning a nam
bibliophile20

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games