The playlog of my Puella Mage campaign

The playlog of my Puella Mage campaign

Unread postby Flux_Blade » July 29th, 2011, 12:02 am

Well I mentioned this over a month ago and my players seemed game, so I decided to actual start this campaign, so for your reading pleasure, I give you the log of the first session. Oh yeah, those of you familiar with the show I did tweak a couple of things, one was the age allowed and the fact two characters are male. But since only one person truly knows much about the magical girl genre, not as much is lost.

The puppets, I mean players-
Spoiler: show
Evra- (18) A young man that wished for power. Ended up with shadow magic that comes out a backpack. Yes, he was ripped from Gaara. Likes to use his snare power, and unfortunately for the witches and their kin, when it works, it works. Also attempts to drop a shadow wall on things, it likes hitting the ground at least. Lastly, the newest at roleplaying in the group.

Brandon- (19) A young man that wished to save a friend and now said friend and him have drifted apart. He gained spirit magic, ripped from Yusuke, including the names. Well except for the two swords he has when not blasting. Also, has really high regen. And the most talkative of the group. Lastly, also thought when I said it was sort of a mage game, thought I was basing it off of Nanoha.

Ella- (18) A young woman who wished for a loving family, as her real father was horrible to her. Unfortunately for her, she still sort of misses him even though she has somewhere to go. She has fire powers, and I really have to avoiding thinking about burning fingers when she attacks from close range. Also has the ability to manipulate gravity, which she uses to fly and attempt to send stuff flying. Emphasis on attempt.

What I found humorous was the fact the players choose to have these back-stories, and all they knew was they had been contacted by something for a wish and the game was going to be darker than usual.

Actual game
Spoiler: show
Anyways, the session started out with the three happening to meet together, while kyubey met up with them. Unfortunately, I did not have a good start, and so ended up having a witch attack as unfortunately for me, only one character was anywhere close to chatty.

As they entered the witch’s barrier, they found themselves in a room with many, many puddles, including some floating on the walls and on the ceiling. A few seconds later, a slimy hand crawled out with sound effects I am unable to translate into actual letters. Even more of the hands walked out of the slimy pools as two players blew up hands. After seeing the hands were ignoring them for now, they continued on.

One of the puddles grew whips to hit the group, but unfortunately, my rolling was poor. They avoided them and one round of combat later, the watery creature found itself obliterated. In the next area, a large watery creature with eight tendrils that floated above the ‘ground’ struck out, yet like the last enemy it fell quickly after failing to land any lasting hits. The death of the familiar was followed by a loud below as Kyubey and the mages went tumbling back from the force.

A large watery creature with large teeth, piercing red eyes, and a large gray brain formed into view. It was shortly joined by a shark like creature with two large fin like hands and a hammerhead like dorsal fin. The large creature never moved, while the shark creature attempted to chomp down on Brandon. While this happened, a large, two muscular arm watery creature fell from the ceiling an attempted to smash down on the other two, it failed. (also for those at home wondering where I got the idea for the monsters, they are different mangled version of Chaos, it was quite amusing to tell my players that I was inspired by Sonic for one villain and they all though of a hedgehog)

While the large creature could not hit, neither side was able to cause anything more than an injury. Then finally, after failing to hit with gravity control, Ella hands burn red and incinerates the two armed beast, and then a spirit gun dropped the shark with a critical. The witch started off with phase two, firing two shots a round, these hit better and started to wound the players.

Unfortunately for the witch, shadow and fire proved to be too much, as it evaporated, the creepy sky shattered as the player quickly transformed back. While annoyed that Kyubey went missing, the group decided to separate and head home.

Evra finds Kyubey’s bullet ridden body, which creeps out the group as they wonder if the witches are able to use guns. As they met at a café, after discussing what happened, they get interrupted by someone spilling her drink next to them, and quietly suggesting that they stay away from Kyubey. Also ask him where witches come from.

After attempting to follow her, and as they blink, she vanishes. The group attempts to find said younger girl, but a witches barrier aborts that plan. As they enter, they find themselves inside a long hallway with mirrors, as usual with the group, someone, Brandon starts things off by shooting a mirror. After seeing no enemies appear, they continue on.

As they continue on, they start to hear voices yelling, “Don’t look at me!” Unfazed by the yelling even as I attempt to change my pitch to imply multiple voices, a few mirrors grow arms and legs and attempt to attack the group. As usual, shadows crush, fire burns, and spirit gun finishes off. I have a feeling this pattern might be settling in.

The next room, television screens joined the mirrors on the walls, this time, only a girl with blond hair appeared on all of them. The voices continued as in the room a large beast stood, with many faces, while the words, “Don’t look at me.” “LOOK AT ME.” Echoed in the room. As the creature turned towards them, Brandon flew at the creature and started to swing one of his spirit swords. The face in front of him grew arms and reached out saying in my most pitiful voice, “Kill me.”

The player who was miming out Brandon stopped midswing and pulled back. The other two stared as Brandon’s player said he instead swung above the head, leading to the blow not being effective. The face grew arms and grabbed at him, still asking to be killed. Brandon was unable to escape.

However, his horror was short-lived as his teammates were able to blow up the face grabbing on to him. (yes it is from FMA) I really wished that I had done a death scream then, might have gotten them a bit more. Oh well.

Pulling away from the beast, Brandon took aim and criticaled, oh yeah, beast rolled a 1 in response on toughness, whelp, witch two died, though now one played had four bruises, while the other two had two. The sky shattered and they returned to real world. There they found Kyubey and asked how it survived, he mentions there are many of his people on this planet.

After asking why it was still around, Kyubey mentioned looking for another possible mage. At this point, the players fail a notice check, and Kyubey is bullet ridden again. The younger girl is standing in front of them, glaring at the corpse. Another Kyubey appears and starts to eat the corpse. Also mentions the other girl has time/space magic.

Players ask why she did that, she mentions wanting to protect someone. Evra remembers about the witch question and asks. Kyubey explains that they come from mage whose gem goes black.

One of my players then passes a note saying he does not plan to use the grief seeds any more. After all, he wants power and believes he can turn into an intelligent witch. Meanwhile, Brandon starts panicking and grabs the first grief seed they received and slams it into his soul gem, rats there was no point in the will save, especially as he acted much calm once healed. Then asked why Kyubey did this.

He explains that mages create energy that is not bound by the laws of entropy and that this magical energy is preventing the death of the universe. Also that witches create much more energy at their creation, oh yeah, also the mage got a wish. The girl says she will not let him touch her friend. This is where it gets interesting.

My players step in front of Kyubey to protect him from the girl. They all more or less agree that what the Kyubey did was for the good of all, and they would not let her stop him from stopping the death of the universe.

I just about fell out of my chair, Evra comments perhaps that when becoming a witch, they could keep something of themselves. Girl mentions that it has never happened, and Kyubey agrees, though mentions he would not be surprised if it could. The girl walks away after Brandon convinces Kyubey not to go magify the girl’s friend.

However, they also threaten her if she attempts to interfere again. The three are worried about Kyubey, who plans to go looking somewhere else, about him being killed again. He mentions there are many of them, so not to worry. Besides she is protecting her friend. And the session ended with player wanting to become witch planning not to, now plans to steal soul gem of other mages, wants to steal power from them, the other two accepting of their fate, I’m still not sure.

Anyways, you can see where I was not expecting their reaction. I’m thinking next time they will be facing a mage who is trying to stop the other mages from becoming witches, forcefully. Or perhaps a mage that thinks in very black and white. And definitely a situation where a witch has controlled quite a few people into dying.
We play again in 17 hours.
Still proud owner of no avatar.

Digimon Quest, it's back. Clicky.
Flux_Blade

Re: The playlog of my Puella Mage campaign

Unread postby serbii » July 29th, 2011, 7:18 am

Meheheheheh
Sounds like a fun game.
serbii

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games