Forum Mafia

Re: Forum Mafia

Unread postby gman391 » December 2nd, 2012, 5:45 am

I said that we should ignore Witt's crazy because that's how Witt rolls. Clearly this was a sin I was unaware of.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Ristridin » December 2nd, 2012, 6:59 am

Looks like another subversion revealing Witt's possible role as a doctor. In which case, we let a mad person like that operate on our children?! So, one (false?) role of mafia and one (false?) role of doctor. Witt is really not doing himself any favours here...
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby gman391 » December 2nd, 2012, 8:11 am

To be fair I think the Association revoked his PhD for something about mad science.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Ristridin » December 2nd, 2012, 10:47 am

That explains why he's working in a small town like this, I guess.

I was talking about a different kind of doctor though. ;)
Ristridin

Unread postby someone » December 2nd, 2012, 12:45 pm

I'll be V/LA for the next few days, try not to kill anyone while I'm gone.
someone

Unread postby Wittgen » December 2nd, 2012, 4:11 pm

That's BESIDE the point! Kid looked like he had been mauled by some kind of wild animal! I IMPLORE you, ladies and gentlemen, cease this violence!
Now, that's just mean. Telling a kid he looks like he's been mauled by some kind of wild animal? That's cold. Especially when the kid has cancer. Well, had cancer. It's all out now.

Rules are for suckers and dames, but if there are rules, see, the first one isn't to win. It's to have fun. Now, excuse me while I drop kick these rancid hunks of cheese.
Wittgen

Unread postby JamestheFox » December 2nd, 2012, 4:32 pm

Wait... operate... what... huh...? But... cancer...? I thought... theater... but... doctor? What... Tommy gun... cheese? What...?

Grk... Thrk... Bifdl... Urht...

I... I'm just gonna go try to patch up my brain. It kinda just... broke down. Don't mind me.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby Wittgen » December 2nd, 2012, 4:47 pm

Operating theater.

Tommy guns are awesome, and everyone should be taking steps to protect themselves nowadays. There are murderous mafia types about, you know.

Cheese? We all have our hobbies.

Mostly, though, I'd just ask that you stop calling my patients ugly. That's unacceptable. Your horrible verbal abuse of cancer kids could impair their emotional state and stunt their recovery.
Wittgen

Unread postby Ristridin » December 2nd, 2012, 4:52 pm

Rules are for suckers and dames, but if there are rules, see, the first one isn't to win. It's to have fun.
And apparently there's a fine line between "having fun" and "getting yourself killed by impersonating mafia while there's been a murder and a mob has formed to punish the guilty party". A very fine line.
Now, excuse me while I drop kick these rancid hunks of cheese.
What. :wut:
Ristridin

Unread postby Random_fan » December 4th, 2012, 11:22 am

oog: So it's been almost 48 hours since someone posted, I presume at this point you guys aren't going to reach a majority but I will give everyone roughly twelve hours to post any last minute votes or arguments until I will go into the night phase.
Random_fan

Unread postby Wittgen » December 4th, 2012, 11:44 am

I'm both one vote from being lynched and not a member of the mafia and in a position where anyone could vote for me and it would be not at all suspicious. Logically, any mafia person should have already changed there vote to me, which means Greybane and someone and Jamesthefox are not mafia. (Assuming they're not playing seriously enough to not play really badly but not so seriously as to do some game within a game silliness.) Gman's initial defense of me means he's probably not mafia, since there's no reason mafia shouldn't have capitalized on my silliness to stir others to a lynch mob for a non-mafioso. I peg ristridin and DIT_Grue as the mafia given this logic, which I feel is surprisingly solid. Assuming no one is playing really badly or really crazy seriously. Might as well lynch alphabetically, so I change my vote to Dit_Grue.

I'll be out of town for a conference for a while, so have fun with the lynching while I'm gone. Mad doctor out.
Wittgen

Unread postby JamestheFox » December 4th, 2012, 1:31 pm

... Was all this just a gambit to figure all that out?

Dang. If that's actually correct, it's a mad, but brilliant plan.

Of course, if it's a lie, then it's a darned good one, only aided by Witt's natural tendency towards mad genius.

Bravo, good sir. You've actually managed to blow my mind and make me doubt my original suspicions. Since I'm having trouble arguing with Witt's logic, I'm going to swap votes to Dit_Grue.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
JamestheFox

Unread postby DIT_grue » December 4th, 2012, 2:25 pm

On one hand, never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, and logic is the art of going wrong with confidence. On the other hand, that argument does actually cover all seven players, and sounds reasonable granted the stated premises (including those about behavioural parameters) so I'm substantially more confident that I actually stumbled into making the correct vote. It will be interesting to see who they murder tonight.
DIT_grue

Unread postby JamestheFox » December 4th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Well, we're about to learn who ISN'T Mafia... Unless there's an angel looking out for them.
On one hand, never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, and logic is the art of going wrong with confidence. On the other hand, that argument does actually cover all seven players, and sounds reasonable granted the stated premises (including those about behavioural parameters) so I'm substantially more confident that I actually stumbled into making the correct vote. It will be interesting to see who they murder tonight.
Wait, who they murder tonight? What... does... that... Wait...

Are... we tied up now?

Shoot... forget what I said before. Unless voting shifts to DIT_Grue... Sorry, Wittgen.
JamestheFox

Unread postby Ristridin » December 4th, 2012, 3:13 pm

You're forgetting that you only need one vote to get lynched and that I haven't voted for you...

Now, I don't like you accusing me of being mafia since I'm not, so fortunately you do leave some holes in your arguments.
Logically, any mafia person should have already changed there vote to me, which means Greybane and someone and Jamesthefox are not mafia.
Greybane hasn't voted yet and neither have I, so if that argument is true for Greybane, it should be equally true for me. I agree with your assessment on someone, since he changed his vote away from you. That's a valid argument for him not being mafia (I assume mafia accusing each other this early in the game would be unlikely). JamestheFox DID change his vote to you (I think? It's in purple, so it's not certain).
Gman's initial defense of me means he's probably not mafia, since there's no reason mafia shouldn't have capitalized on my silliness to stir others to a lynch mob for a non-mafioso.
He didn't defend you later on, but okay... I guess he had a valid reason to accuse you, consistent with his vote for James (both based on being accused).
I peg ristridin and DIT_Grue as the mafia given this logic, which I feel is surprisingly solid.
I did mention the silliness, I guess. I did point out you could be the doctor before anyone else did (though I did mention the madman operating on children bit). I mentioned it might be a fake claim, as could be the case for the mafia 'claim'. I thought my tone was more of a 'Witt is performing some crazy scheme' rather than a 'stirring others to a lynch mob', but that could be my mistake. DIT_grue didn't mention the silliness; he merely voted for you.

In total, we have this:

Current votes and assessment provided you are not mafia:

Someone: NONE (unvoted from Wittgen). Probably not mafia (assuming the schemes are not very elaborate).
JamestheFox: Wittgen (in purple, so it may not be an actual change from the blue vote to gman). According to you, not mafia despite his vote. Not completely consistent, but since I have no real information about him otherwise, I have no reason to actually accuse him.
Gman: Wittgen (changed from James). Consistently voted for those who accused him so far.
Witt: DIT_grue (changed from gman). Strange logic, still don't know the reason behind your vote for gman. Was that part of the plan?
DIT: Wittgen. Voted because of your apparent desire to be killed. Didn't mention silliness. Did ask for justification about the gman vote.
Greybane: NONE. One comment. No real information.
Ristridin: NONE. Can't say much more here other than reiterate the points I made already.

Having said this, I'm not sure what to do now. I think I have three choices here.
I could vote for Wittgen because of the accusation, but that would now elegantly turn all attention to me, the one who casts the killing vote.
I could vote for DIT_grue. He has voted for you with little reason (although this is the same for many others), so he could be mafia (if you are not), and me accusing him would at the very least shatter your claim. You could still switch to a claim that only I am mafia, or that only DIT_grue is mafia, but it would certainly weaken your position (unless you are right, the both of us are mafia and I want to play a mind-game to get us both off the hook by preventing more votes on either of us). On the other hand, while I typed this, he did give a decent explanation...
And I could be consistent with my earlier behaviour and not vote anything yet. In which case, you can claim that only I am mafia and hope DIT_grue will die for this (or that the both of us are mafia and I hope there will be no majority for DIT_grue).

One last point. You voted for DIT_grue even while he didn't do much to accuse you. You claim you want to lynch alphabetically. Now, thinking of it, this happens to be convenient for you specifically, because he already voted for you. On the other hand, I hadn't voted for you so far, and because you didn't directly vote for me, you are making it more difficult for me to retaliate by voting for you. Furthermore, I have painted you in a potentially bad light (by pointing out all the possibilities), while DIT 'merely' accused you. In your position, shouldn't I be the more logical target? Not exactly solid information to make a case (as I said, it could really be alphabetically, and I don't claim to fully understand you), but it is something I would like to point out explicitly.

Now, given the elaborate information you gave to falsely accuse me and quite possibly DIT_grue (by accident or by design), I am tempted to say that it is currently more likely that you are mafia than not. You have sown confusion, enough to change things at the last moment. Finding flaws in your argument doesn't prove you wrong unfortunately, and I may be biased because of your accusation. Still, I feel that I have enough justification to vote for you now. This might cause opinion to swing against me, but I will still vote for Wittgen.
Ristridin

Unread postby Wittgen » December 4th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Heh. Mixed up Jamesthefox's and Ristridin's names. Heh. No regrets.
Wittgen

Unread postby JamestheFox » December 4th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Wait, my text is coming out as purple on your screens? That's weird.
Heh. Mixed up Jamesthefox's and Ristridin's names. Heh. No regrets.
*Looks at previous analysis*

Ah. That would make more sense. Hmmm. So, me and DIT_grue are the suspects?

Of course. It's always the mild-mannered banker.

I'm still uncertain of who to lynch. At first I thought Witt was pulling the Refuge in Audacity trick; too obvious to suspect, but actually the perp. Then I thought Gman was either trying to direct attention away from his compatriot, or making himself out to be the good guy while preparing to slit our throats from behind.

Then Witt betrayed him, which makes no sense however you look at it, unless Witt either thought Gman was mafia or Witt himself was mafia.

Right now, the only people I can believe aren't mafia, aside from myself (yes, biased assumption), are:

Someone (unless he's staying out of this fight.)
Ristridin (Obviously a nice fellow, looking out for his fellow man)

Wow, that's a short list, though not as short as the guys I can say I completely suspect (Which is empty). Hmmm...

I'm gonna unvote. If someone else unvotes, we'll not lynch anyone, but if we're wrong about Witt we only lose one of our number tonight. Tomorrow, we'll start fresh, with perhaps a little more info than we had today.
JamestheFox

Unread postby Random_fan » December 5th, 2012, 2:46 am

The town spends the day in frenzy trying to work out if Wittgen is acting evil because no one would believe he's evil if he did so or if he's doing it just for fun. While the argument goes on for a while and at one point it looks like they are going to lynch him however the majority eventually decide not to and everyone goes back to their houses for the night.

The night phase has begun.

So mafia, and other players with special abilities should message me within 24 hours. Everyone is reminded that there is no posting during the night.
Random_fan

Unread postby someone » December 5th, 2012, 11:23 am

but I will still vote for Wittgen.
Mod error: Witt was lynched as of this post. (votes by gman, DIT_Grue, JamesTheFox and Ristridin)

If any results of night actions have already been sent the game should be restarted, otherwise the night should be redone after Witt's flip results.
someone

Unread postby Ristridin » December 5th, 2012, 12:06 pm

oog: James unvoted before the end of the day, so unless the kill is immediate after there is a majority at a single point in time, Witt still lives. Which is probably a good thing, because I'll have to redo my analysis with Witt's rectification anyway. At least two of my counterpoints are now incorrect...

Regardless, I'll await mod confirmation of either viewpoint.
Ristridin

Unread postby someone » December 5th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Forum Mafia (should) never allows for unvoting after hammer, to prevent reaction test gambits and being on at just the right time deciding the game.
someone

Unread postby Random_fan » December 5th, 2012, 5:13 pm

someone is right the minute there was a majority Wittgen should have been lynched. however by the time a majority had been reached I had given a time limit for people to vote in and I wanted to keep to that time limit.
Random_fan

Unread postby Random_fan » December 6th, 2012, 8:07 am

The members of the town wake up glad to have survived the night, but dreading that the person killed was someone they liked. A town meeting is called to perform a roll call on the town and find out who didn't make it. It doesn't take long to find out it's Jamesthefox, the town's banker. Once again the town is whipped into a frenzy and promptly get back to accusing everyone else of being the killer.

The day phase has begun.
Random_fan

Unread postby someone » December 6th, 2012, 9:22 am

vote random_fan obvious scum is obvious.

More to the point.
I'm not sure how much we can do with the mod being actively pro-scum. (Although Hanlon's razor applies of course)
My first suggestion would be to quit the game and start a new one, but then again, winning despite this would be fun too.

Obviously we should no-lynch today and then somehow lynch scum on D3 and D4 with no relevant info at all. Flipping coins might work.
someone

Unread postby JamestheFox » December 6th, 2012, 11:44 am

Dying comment: Gkk... How... could... you...?
JamestheFox

Return to “%s” Role-Playing Games