Games of the Moment

Re: Games of the Moment

Unread postby doc.exe » September 22nd, 2014, 11:51 am

Logain is evil, but some of his allies? Well, one is a textbook definition of stupid evil and if you're playing the human noble origin, well, killing that guy is rather cathartic.
What I meant is that, so far from what I have seen plus what it is implied in the codex, he isn’t acting merely out of malice or greed but an incredibly misplaced belief that what he is doing is the right thing for his country. He also seemed somewhat troubled when his daughter mentioned the death of you know who in a cutscene.

As to the ally you mention… I think I have a vague idea of who he is based on some conversations I have had in Denerim and from some of the rumors I have gotten from the merchants.
Skyrim was on sale, and someone convinced me that its leveling system wasn't as godawful horrible as Oblivion had, so I gave it a try for $5. 81 hours of play time later... still barely in act 2. Maybe I shouldn't have bought the Hearthfire dlc the day after I bought the game?
Not to the extreme of 80 hours (it’s more on the tune of 30 to 50), but that more or less mimics my relationship with most RPG that have lots of sidequests (Damn you Xenoblade, and damn you too Dragon Age and Okami). Open World games as well now that I think about it.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » October 3rd, 2014, 9:54 pm

Smash 4? Smash 4

Smash Fooooooooooooor
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » October 5th, 2014, 11:33 am

The rubber part of my 3DS circle pad came off.

Playing Super Smash Bros 4.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby MEKristian » October 5th, 2014, 8:01 pm

The rubber part of my 3DS circle pad came off.

Playing Super Smash Bros 4.
Sakurai and the 3DS control scheme do not seem to get along without something being destroyed it seems...

But, who've you taken to primarily playing with?
MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » October 5th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Luckily my circle pad itself still works. I've heard some horror stories where the whole thing just breaks.

I'm still feeling my way around with characters, and I sometimes find it hard to stick to a specific character. Playing Smash Run, messing with customization (both of these are things I'm starting to feel like were the best additions to this game)...

But I'd say Shulk, the Mii Fighters, Peach (who along with Luigi are my usual suspects in Smash), and Link are going to be my top 5ers, I think.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
JamestheFox

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 6th, 2014, 12:28 am

Sadly enough, I'm still playing CoD:MW3, even though I still think it's a bad game. But there are still some upsides to it! Earlier today, I actually killed a PLAYER with a SAM turret. IDK what happened, since I'm pretty sure it was trying to destroy a UAV... XD

Let's see... I've gotten FOUR MOABs in MW3:
  • On April 12 in Core TDM with this class.
  • On April 26 in Core TDM with this class. I was only level 27 for this one, so I had NO pro perks. That class might be slightly wrong. I might not have had the kick proficiency on the UMP, and I might have had a suppressor on the pistol.
  • On April 29 in Core Domination with this class. I was surprised I actually got this one, since I REALLY hate both the AS50 and the MP412, especially when neither has any attachments.
  • On May 4 in Core TDM with this class. The magnum might not have had the tactical knife on it.
So... yeah. I sometimes get ABSURDLY lucky in CoD... when I get the time and a computer that can handle it, I plan to upload many, MANY clips to YouTube. There's some pretty stupid stuff...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby MEKristian » October 6th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Luckily my circle pad itself still works. I've heard some horror stories where the whole thing just breaks.

I'm still feeling my way around with characters, and I sometimes find it hard to stick to a specific character. Playing Smash Run, messing with customization (both of these are things I'm starting to feel like were the best additions to this game)...

But I'd say Shulk, the Mii Fighters, Peach (who along with Luigi are my usual suspects in Smash), and Link are going to be my top 5ers, I think.
I have two complaints about the customization, really; they don't really offer enough variety... and they're really hard to get. Especially since you can get duplicates that have no real point...

I've taken a shine to one character I wanted (Lucina) and one I didn't expect (Zero Suit Samus), but I'm still feeling out any others... except Shulk, I lack the dexterity for Shulk to shine...
MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » October 6th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Yes, that is indeed annoying. I could understand it for, say, trophies (though it would make Hoard Mode even cooler if the silly thing showed EVERY trophy you have, instead of one of each), and maybe even equipment (Because most of them have different stats despite having the same name, and you can sell the ones you have copies of), but gosh darned custom moves? WHY!?

Shulk is somewhat hard to pull off, especially if you're trying to actually backstab someone with Back Slash. Plus his Smashes are PAINFULLY straight thrusts. Like, it's hard to hit with them, sometimes. I was kinda hoping for a Monado Buster attack.
JamestheFox

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 8th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Currently going through Tales of Xillia 2 and enjoying the Tales Series' penchant for Deconstruction. Also, just picked up Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed and Ar nosurge.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby doc.exe » November 5th, 2014, 1:54 pm

I finally bought a Wii U. It’s actually quite a decent console, even if it does have a glaring issue: It always takes a few seconds to load any application. AFAIK, this has been a recurring usability issue despite the fact that there have been multiple updates to ameliorate it. It’s not exactly a deal breaker for me, but it’s an annoyance.

On the plus side, Miiverse is probably the best idea Nintendo has have in a decade and Off-TV play is a blessing if you don’t live alone and have to share the TV with more people. The Gamepad is also way more confortable to use than it looks at first, and it’s perfect for Mario Kart, although for something like Bayonetta I certainly prefer the Pro Controller.

I have been primarily playing Mario Kart 8 and the first Bayonetta. I decided to replay it before I move to the sequel. The port it’s a thing of beauty, I’m not sure how well it compares to the X360 version, but it’s definitely better than the PS3 version.

Talking about the PS3, I also started playing Saints Row IV some weeks ago. Chuckg made a review in a previous post on this thread and I agree with him completely. This game is essentially The ZAZ comedy of videogames. And is glorious!
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby JamestheFox » November 5th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Welcome to the Wii U fold, sir. I'm excited for the Zelda DLC for MK8, personally. Also, Smash 4 U. So I can finally have battles and stuff with my friends and family. I'm... actually fairly interested in the Amiibo system.

For now, I'm replaying Xenoblade Chronicles and playing THE WON-STOPPABLE WONDERFUL WONDERFUL ONE OH OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

It's so cheesy but the gameplay is fun, if difficult. It's a Platinum Games Beat-em-Up, which apparently means it's a good Beat-em-up. Also, best theme song ever.

I still need to play Bayonetta, though. But my game-money's tied up in Smash U and Pokemon ORAS. So for now I'm gonna live with putting it on my Gamefly Rent Queue.
JamestheFox

Unread postby Chuckg » November 5th, 2014, 11:59 pm

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

I really, really liked the single-player campaign. If you think of CoD single-player as a summer action movie simulator, then this game will deliver you exactly the experience you require. It was like being inside a Tom Clancy novel, with setting design done by the Deus Ex devs, and the cinematography done by Michael Bay.

And god damn, did Kevin Spacey rock the house down. Their only mistake was not giving him more screentime. He was barely getting warmed up!

Gameplay wise, the new shit is fun and the levels give you a nicely varied bunch of action setpieces, from a strafing run to a tank level to a mech suit rampage to lots of good old running and gunning. Also with double-jumping to rooftops. And a couple levels also have grapple hook guns. :)
Chuckg

Unread postby Wraith5 » November 6th, 2014, 3:18 am

Hmm... I haven't played it (I don't personally own an xbox or playstation, and my computer is a 4-year-old laptop that can barely run BO2...), but from what I've seen, CoD:AW is more like Titanfall than anything Call of Duty. There's a TON of verticality in the levels, there's the exo-suits, the double-jumping, and so on. I really kind of wish they'd keep with the more 'standard' CoD stuff. (Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that they've made players so much more mobile, I just don't think CoD should've made THAT big of a jump from what was before to what's there now.)
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby Chuckg » November 6th, 2014, 8:16 am

Well, I haven't really done the multiplayer yet (my matchmaker is having issues, plus, work), but the singleplayer campaign can mostly be played in classic mode -- crouch along, hide behind cover, headshoot stuff, etc. The required platforming stuff is generally when people are not shooting at you. The rest of the time the level layouts have several routes to the goal, one of them being "you walk". The only required alt-movement mode is the grapple gun, and that's only on two levels.

It's just, why stick to walking? Jumping and grappling around is fun. It's not a replacement for the classic CoD experience, its a value-add to it. And I say this as a guy who's been playing classic CoD for years.
Chuckg

Unread postby doc.exe » November 6th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Welcome to the Wii U fold, sir. I'm excited for the Zelda DLC for MK8, personally. Also, Smash 4 U. So I can finally have battles and stuff with my friends and family. I'm... actually fairly interested in the Amiibo system.

For now, I'm replaying Xenoblade Chronicles and playing THE WON-STOPPABLE WONDERFUL WONDERFUL ONE OH OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

It's so cheesy but the gameplay is fun, if difficult. It's a Platinum Games Beat-em-Up, which apparently means it's a good Beat-em-up. Also, best theme song ever.

I still need to play Bayonetta, though. But my game-money's tied up in Smash U and Pokemon ORAS. So for now I'm gonna live with putting it on my Gamefly Rent Queue.
That DLC package looks incredible. I hope they will release something similar for Smash Bros. Amiibos are pretty “meh” for me though.

I’m interested in the Wonderful 101 as well, as Platinum Games has become one of my favorite developers, although I think I will wait till next year. My finances are always constrained at this time of the year and Smash Bros. is my biggest priority.

doc.exe

Unread postby JamestheFox » November 6th, 2014, 9:52 pm

The Wonderful 101 is fun... but it does very, VERY little to teach you anything. I had to look online to learn some of the stuff I needed for some of the game. And that is its biggest flaw.

I'm supposedly at about the halfway point, and still enjoying it, though.

I'm most likely gonna get at least one Amiibo (CAAAPTAAAIIINNN FAAALCOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN) just to try it out, just because I like the idea of being able to raise and train a fighter. According to a preview given by IGN, the Amiibo fighters get stronger in a very different way from normal AI opponents; they learn FROM you, and adopt your fighting habits. If you don't like to use certain kinds of attacks, THEY won't like to use those kinds of attacks (the example given was that someone doesn't like playing with items on, and raised an Amiibo that way. It became an AMAZING fighter because their player was an AMAZING fighter... but when it was first brought to a battle with items on... its reaction to the items is more or less this.). If you like to shield attacks, they'll use their shield similarly to how you do. That actually sounds like a fun thing. Very... tamagotchi-esque, I guess? And I'm a sucker for those kinds of things. Though this one... I don't think you pet your Amiibos. Or at least I don't think that DOES anything.

Plus Captain Falcon's Amiibo lets me dress my Mii like Captain Falcon in Mario Kart 8! And with the Blue Falcon incoming...
JamestheFox

Unread postby doc.exe » November 7th, 2014, 1:35 pm

I kind of resent that, but primarily because of how starved fans of F-Zero like me have been for… what, a decade? Still, I hope the Mute City track in the DLC is Nintendo teasing a new game. A man can dream after all.

doc.exe

Unread postby JamestheFox » November 7th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Sakurai also teased new F-Zero stuff with a quote from miiverse. Something along the lines of "And today's pic of the day is Captain Falcon!... Man, when are you gonna get a new game of your own?"
A man boy can dream after all.
JamestheFox

Unread postby jgkitarel » November 18th, 2014, 12:19 am

Well, back with using Steam for games. If you like indie RPGs, then the stuff developed by Aldorlea Games (the creators of Laxius Force) is good. They follow the traditional JRPG tropes well, have some deconstruction thrown in (The Book of Legends seems to be setting up a nice one here), and they have done some good work. Also, playing Dawn of War II: Retribution, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter (waiting on Second Chapter) and the Warlords of Draenor expansion to World of Warcraft.

Also still working on Ar nosurge and Akiba's Trip, as well as occasionally going through my older games (coming time for me to do another Mass Effect Trilogy playthrough) and am looking to pick up Dragon Age: Inquisition before Christmas.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » November 18th, 2014, 12:46 am

My most recent vice: Defiance. It's an MMO 3rd-person shooter. It's amazing. Good voice acting, a decent campaign (which you can do solo or co-op), multiple campaigns (they call them 'seasons' *shrug*), PvP matches/events that I haven't tried yet, and a whole HELL of a lot more.

If you run into me in-game, I'm probably the guy using a flaregun with a radiation nano-effect (basically, corrosive from Borderlands). I love my flaregun. There are many like it, but this is mine. Actually, you know what? NO. There are NOT many like it. Mine has a magazine that holds NINE rounds. Your standard 1-round flareguns can... Uhh... sorry. I'll stop there. (I plan to eventually have a flaregun with THIRTEEN rounds. :D)
Wraith5

Unread postby gamebrain89 » November 18th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Destiny has it's hooks in me pretty deeply at the moment. Yes the game has some issues, but I still find it a hell of a lot of fun to play. I've got one level 30 Warlock, and my Hunter and Titan are at 28.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Phht » November 18th, 2014, 11:15 pm

My most recent vice: Defiance. It's an MMO 3rd-person shooter. It's amazing. Good voice acting, a decent campaign (which you can do solo or co-op), multiple campaigns (they call them 'seasons' *shrug*), PvP matches/events that I haven't tried yet, and a whole HELL of a lot more.
It's likely that they call them "seasons" because the MMO is supposed to run parallel to the SyFy original series Defiance (which is set in the city of Defiance, IIRC), and events occurring in the game or in the show might affect the other.

If anyone wants to work on campaign co-op cheevos for DoW2 or Retribution, I'm available. Just poke me on steam if I'm online (unless it's Fri-Sun and I'm in civBE). I'm slowly replaying DoW2 for steam cheevos and kinda poking at STO again (fucking update changed the R&D system some months back and erased all my R&D progress :( )
Phht

Unread postby doc.exe » November 24th, 2014, 2:48 pm

I don’t really remember when was the last time I formed in line to buy a videogame on launch day.

All I know: Smash Bros. 4 is amazing and even that feels like an understatement.

doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » November 24th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Some of the things you have to do are a lot more difficult than it might first seem, though.

Those event matches....
MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » November 25th, 2014, 2:06 am

"No Mere Sparing Match" kicked my butt, when I was trying to get the reward for it. There's probably worse ahead, though.

I've mostly been playing Pokemon, though. Just hit the beginning of what seems to be the climax of the Delta Episode.
JamestheFox

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs