Opinions Desired

Opinions Desired

Unread postby Kal » June 30th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Hi there all.

I hope that you can help -- I am searching for a fun online game that is completely free. My fav computer game is Balder's Gate, and I love fantasy. Does anyone know of any game that would be a good match that I would not have to subscribe to? We have contemplated WoW, but considering the limited time we have to play, I was hoping to find something that does not require money on a regular basis.

Anyone know anything? Thanks!
Kal

Re: Opinions Desired

Unread postby Dervon » June 30th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Guild Wars (and all it's many expansions) is free to play, but it's mostly PvP and I don't know if that is your particular cup of tea. Plus, you do need a copy of the game itself... :|

Hmm... Tried Billy vs SNAKEMAN yet? :D

http://dungeonfighter.nexon.net/ might be nice for a go when it releases soon. It's one of those free to play but you can pay for extra bonuses sort of thing.
Dervon

Re: Opinions Desired

Unread postby Lthayer3 » June 30th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Guild wars is probably the best designed online game without subscriptions, but it isn't completely free. When Diablo III comes out, that might be a decent match. Other than that, though, I can't really think of anything. Most free MMOs are pretty similar: they all require huge time investments to get decent at the game and have much fun.

I'd suggest just going through this list and looking at screenshots of any game that sounds potentially interesting:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

One that I can think of offhand that was entertaining for a while is Dungeon Runners (made by ncsoft, the people that make Guild Wars). It is different enough from the normal grinding MMOs to be fun for quite a while before its own type of repetitiveness starts to kick in.

If you're playing with a group of people, I would also recommend looking for a newly released private server of RF Online. That game can be tons of fun, though servers have a tendency to become unbalanced after a while (mostly due to corrupt GMs) :/
Lthayer3

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs