Champions Online

Champions Online

Unread postby Kodra » August 24th, 2009, 9:39 am

So I've been playing around in the Open Beta for Champions Online, and I have to say, if you are into MMOs you should check this game out. It's pure fun, and even as horribly broken over-the-top as it currently is, that can be excused because it's intensely fun. The character creation options are ludicrously in depth allowing you to play pretty much anythign you want, both from a look standpoint and from a build standpoint.

I've been pogoing around as Commander Keen for the past week and it's been the most fun I've had with an MMO since the old days of Vanilla raiding when I used to have the time and desire to do that sort of thing. It's definitely worth a look for anyone seriously into MMOs.
Kodra

Re: Champions Online

Unread postby Dervon » August 24th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Hahaha, oh wow, I remember a thread about this game on /tg/. People took to calling it "Copyright Infringement: The Game". We wondered how long before someone sued. :lol:

Still, character creation seems pretty damn solid. People were posting all sorts of chars from 40K that were brilliantly made. I might actually look into this.
Dervon

Unread postby Kodra » August 24th, 2009, 1:15 pm

There are already name blocks in place for a lot of Marvel/DC property so the comic characters are pretty much off limits. I've been recreating lots of silly/obscure characters, like Commander Keen and Harvey Birdman. But the amount of customization you can do is a bit mind boggling.
Kodra

Unread postby Jasruv » August 24th, 2009, 2:24 pm

It should be, the original Hero System was incredibly flexible.

The gm section had a list of warnings about how the rules were subject to abuse. One of which was a listing of powergamer characters that were completely insane but could be built under the rules.

One of which involved a character that had completely normal stats but had a base whose grounds extended over several hundred planets! And for just a few more points could have hundreds of millions of followers to maintain those grounds.

I really like the hero system and am trying to find a paper copy of the 5th ed rules.

If I can, I am going to be playing the game when it comes out. But I don't think that my current computer will be able to handle it. :futile:
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs