Behold the Death of the Playstation 3…FF XIII on the 360

Behold the Death of the Playstation 3…FF XIII on the 360

Unread postby Baladar » July 14th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Baladar

Re: Behold the Death of the Playstation 3…FF XIII on the 360

Unread postby KingOfShippers » July 14th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Hehe my sole reason for getting a PS3 just flew out the window, oh well screw the overpriced behemoth I'm getting a 360 now...and a DS.
KingOfShippers

Unread postby Baladar » July 14th, 2008, 8:32 pm

You will learn the glories of Professor Layton and a plethora of other J-RPGs with your choices.
Baladar

Unread postby Zerrat » July 15th, 2008, 12:28 am

Nice! I'm actually quite glad they've decided to put it on 360 - means I don't have to fork out massive amounts of money. besides, there are a few more second hand 360's floating around, so I may be able to get the console far cheaper (unlike the goddamn PSP - oh well, it was the Crisis Core limitied edition pack, which is entirely worth it).

But what does bother me is the fact that Square keeps spreading around the games on different consoles . Money's not exactly burning a hole in my pocket... I understand their reasoning for it, I don't have to like it.
Zerrat

Unread postby unknown146 » July 15th, 2008, 11:03 am

You know, I'd be happier about this if it wasn't for the fact that I've already bought a PS3 for MGS4 and for FFXIII Versus, which I'm more interested in than the main game (big Action RPG guy over here.) Still, this really doesn't affect me, as I have no plans to get a 360. Just not that interested in the FPS shooter selection.
unknown146

Unread postby Zerrat » July 15th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Rumour has it that it's similar in gameplay to the Kingdom Hearts series; if that's true, I'd enjoy playing it. However, one of the turn-offs for me is that the Prince reminds me far too much of Sasuke. He'd better be one heck of a dynamic character to shake me out of that perception.

Well, if XIII and VersusXIII are both on the PS3 (XIII is just no longer exclusive on the PS3) it may be easier to get the PS3 afterall. Tch, for 2 games... they'd better be worth it!

In any case, it's not like I have to worry about it any time soon. I'd put a English release date at about 2010 at best. :futile:
Zerrat

Unread postby Baladar » July 16th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Right now, the 360 has more RPGs for it than the PS3, and not just american RPGs, but J-RPGs. I'm looking at five on my shelf now, while the closest thing that the PS3 has is a card gme thingy and Oblivian. While the Xbox has many FPSs, it also has RPGs; while the PS3 is almost all sports, racing, and shooters.

The PS3 is going out for two big reasons:

1) Game development cost is staggeringly huge, and few companies has the capitol to do it and not make a three hour romp like Heavenly Blade.

2) System cost prevents the average gamer form being able to afford it,; were as getting both a Wii and a 360 cost less than a PS3. This has caused a low uberbase install of the systems which the game developers are aware of and is forching them to go multiplatform or abandon the PS3 altogether. While the Japanese game makers will still be loyal to other Japanese companies, they are busisneses and will do what they can to make money.
Baladar

Unread postby Zerrat » July 17th, 2008, 7:55 am

On the subject of game development cost, I wonder if it's just my imagination that there seem to be more handheld console games coming out? And relatively fewer games for the bigger, more powerful consoles? Perhaps that it's the companies weighing production costs against what gamers are willing to pay for a product.

I mean, I read in the paper a while back that yeah, development cost is rising, but at $AU99.99 gamers might not be willing to pay more. In the end, the companies would start to lose money on games, unless they were stellar-sellers. So I entirely understand games like Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep going to handhelds like the PSP, and even when they go multiplatform.

Thinking on it, I'd almost rather multiplatform games. The controls maymaymay suffer for it, but I'd rather that than having to fork out money for a new console just because I want to play one game.
Zerrat

Unread postby Wittgen » July 17th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Plus, don't forget that DS has outsold absolutely everything else so far. Much lower development costs and a substantially bigger install base? Yeah, I think it's fair to say that the handhelds have become a very attractive platform to develop for.
Wittgen

Unread postby Zerrat » July 17th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Definately far more attractive. And the games for the DS seem to have more range - more of the games I want to play. I bought a PSP for Crisis Core, Dissidia, Birth By Sleep, War of the Lions and the remakes of Final Fantasies 1 and 2, so it's not an entire waste [/Square fangirl].

The DS (next on the list of buying doom) seems to have fun games, as well as being able to wirelessly share and play other gamers with the DS. So what if I love Mario Kart and Super Mario? :biggrin1
Zerrat

Unread postby Baladar » July 17th, 2008, 9:44 pm

I love my DS. Mario, Layton, Phoenix Wright, and all sorts of nifty RPGs. And Chrono Trigger later on, and maybe Mother 3/Earthbound 2 as well :biggrin2
Baladar

Unread postby Zerrat » July 17th, 2008, 11:15 pm

I love my DS. Mario, Layton, Phoenix Wright, and all sorts of nifty RPGs. And Chrono Trigger later on, and maybe Mother 3/Earthbound 2 as well :biggrin2

Phoenix Wright - I've heard nothing but good things about that game. What's it like?
Zerrat

Unread postby nfk » July 18th, 2008, 1:42 am

Not everyone is happy about the FF XIII on the 360 ... news (click for a YouTube rant on this announcement)
Spoiler: show
Ok, it's not real but it had me laughing... "now you have committed public sadeko!"
nfk

Unread postby Zerrat » July 18th, 2008, 2:33 am

I lol'd. But seriously, a number of fans are reacting like this. Wish they'd just grow up and get over themselves.
Zerrat

Unread postby Baladar » July 18th, 2008, 8:58 am

It does remind me when Devil MAy Cry 4 went multiplatform and all the Sony Fanboys started fothing at the mouth. The same thing will happen here: they'll complain, then get over it when they remember, "Hey! It's just a game."
Baladar

Unread postby unknown146 » July 21st, 2008, 12:35 pm

Phoenix Wright - I've heard nothing but good things about that game. What's it like?
It's like an early '90's PC graphical adventure game in terms of gameplay, but the real draw is the writing. It takes place in a Twenty Minutes Into The Future setting with kangaroo courts, and you're the poor defending attourney that has to get these people off the hook. The actual gameplay pretty much consists of figuring out what item to use where, or what part of a witnesses testimony is fishy-sounding.

The writing style is very similar to the television show "Boston Legal", if it were more PGish, and had a thing for weird puns. If you get the style of humor, I'd highly recommend it.
unknown146

Unread postby ewuvi » July 21st, 2008, 5:00 pm

PG Boston Legal? I am so there.
ewuvi

Unread postby Zerrat » July 21st, 2008, 8:19 pm

Damn, I have to get a DS and get into that fandom, damnit!
Zerrat

Unread postby ewuvi » July 21st, 2008, 9:37 pm

There's something highly amusing and slightly disturbing to see Captain Kirk as a horny old man. I wouldn't suggest it for a highly conservative person, but as a born, raised, and brainwashed liberal, it's perfect. I love Alan's rants.
ewuvi

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs