Fortress menaces with spikes of awesome!

Fortress menaces with spikes of awesome!

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » June 23rd, 2010, 8:28 pm

Spoiler: show
Was planning on taking up Dwarf Fortress again and was wondering who else has played the fourth best game in existence?
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Re: Fortress menaces with spikes of awesome!

Unread postby Darkandus » June 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

I have. But it was much earlier on before the fancy tilesets were created.
Darkandus

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » June 23rd, 2010, 9:01 pm

Yeah its all shinier now.
Am currently listening to Captain Duck's tutorial to review everything, you ever watch his video tutorials?
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 23rd, 2010, 9:36 pm

What's Dwarf Fortress?
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

*winces and then ducks behind cover. Strong, HEAVY cover*
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 23rd, 2010, 9:44 pm

Temp, what did I do? Why do I feel like the Coyote when he sees the ever-expanding shadow surrounding him and hears that whistling sound?
Farmer_10

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 23rd, 2010, 9:48 pm

*A ridiculously under-sized pink umbrella peeks out above the cover I dove behind*
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » June 23rd, 2010, 9:52 pm

Dont worry farmer I wont hurt you, it is not unheard of for someone to have lived in a cave for a decade. It is my duty to destroy your ignorance!

DF is a ASCII game that focuses on you building a dwarven settlement from scratch with 7 dwarves and surviving/building into a massive kingdom with hundreds of dwarves.

Its extremely complex and hard to master the basics, but the nice thing is because of that you can actually invent stuff in the game unlike others were you are trapped with making pre-set buildings. One of my favorites was one person getting bored, so he built massive pillars to hold up a "ceiling" above his entire region, then used channels and trap doors to gather the rain water into an underground lake. It is a lot more epic than it sounds.

Then there is building traps with magma which has practically become an art at this point. The game does have liquid pressure, so you can build a pipe system that lets you shoot balls of magma down a hallway at enemies.

Here is a screen-shot of a fortress in-game, although this is a very, very small fortress, unless they had a larger dining hall on another level which I doubt. Most likely spent only and hour or two on building this. (After getting good enough to not flood my own fortress and killing everyone I had some forts with weeks of gameplay time on em.)

Fortress Pic

Like I said the game is very complex and I am not even scratching the surface of everything you can do in the game. It would take me ages to explain everything, so, if you enjoy RTS games go ahead and try this out.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 23rd, 2010, 10:06 pm

Sanctified Feces, how long did that take?
Farmer_10

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » June 23rd, 2010, 10:15 pm

Not sure what you were talking about:

Typing the intro took around fifteen minutes.

No idea how long it took the guy to build the weather control machine.

If you meant, how long to make the game, it has been in the Alpha stage for the last 6-ish years and is still being worked on.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Stormseed » June 26th, 2010, 8:17 pm

I tried to get into DF, but the UI was too confusing for me.
Stormseed

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs