Move, Kinect and the 3DS

Move, Kinect and the 3DS

Unread postby doc.exe » June 30th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Well, given that the E3 was just a couple of weeks ago and these three pieces of hardware got the spotlight, I may ask: Is anyone interested in them?

In my case, I know a lot of people hate motion controls, but I'm of the opinion that they really can add a visceral feeling to the gameplay when implemented well. For example, ripping enemies in half with the chainsaw or smashing them in spike walls in MadWorld is incredibly fun.

I'm particularly interested in Move. The videos I saw show that, despite looking more ridiculuos than anything the competence (Nintendo) has produced in the last ten years, Sony's device is incredibly accurate. Games like SOCOM 4 and Sorcery seems to use it very well. I just wish there were more games supporting it.

In the case of Kinect, while I'm impressed by the technology itself, I can't stop thinking that the lack of a physical control will limit the gameplay possibilities a lot. Most of the games I have seen for it tend to fall in the minigames or sports category, and outside of two exceptions (Dance Central and Child of Eden) I just don't see enough good material to be interested in it. So far it really looks like an over glorified EyeToy.

As to the 3DS, I will need to hold one in my hands to really see how good the stereoscopic effect works, but I'm really excited by it. The graphics look great and show the little handheld is really powerful. Not to mention that the amount of games and support from developers it is receiving was enough to convince of acquiring it once I have the chance.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Re: Move, Kinect and the 3DS

Unread postby Darkandus » June 30th, 2010, 8:31 pm

I am uninterested in motion control. I find it's only possible use is to serve as a precursor to other more advanced technology. Waving your arms about does not create immersion, If I have to swing a bloody controller around to hit something on screen I want to FEEL it. I want to feel the pressure of the weapon cutting through the target, I want to feel the jolt when they block or the weapon bounces off, I want to feel the weapon slipping in my grip from bood and sweat. I want my arms to ache from the weight of the weapon. That is immersion. Flailing around is a cheap imitation of it.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Random_fan » June 30th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Well I don't hate the idea but it seems like Move and Kinect only exist because the Wii is popular and they want to cash in on that, it the same reason 3D movies are so common nowadays. Kinect I don't really like just because, as Doc said, without a controller it's very limited to what a game can do, Move isn't as bad but what I've seen makes it look like a Wii remote and nunchuck, and if I wanted to play with a Wii remote and nunchuck I'd just play the Wii.

The 3DS I'm not sure about, I'll probably wait for a friend to buy it to see how good the 3D element is but with a screen that small I can't see it being all that great.

Though with everyone working on motion control and 3D games it looks like we're getting closer to virtual reality, and that's a good thing in my book.
Random_fan

Unread postby doc.exe » July 1st, 2010, 1:49 am

Yeah, virtual reality seems no longer a dream and it's closer and closer every day. That is also one of the reasons why I support this technology. Even if it's just the middle step as Darkandus says, the potential for interesting things in the future is there.

For the record, I have a Wii and I can tell you that Move really seems more accurate than the Wii remote, at least from the videos I have seen. Although I have not tried the Wii Motion Plus accesory yet, so I don't know how different is that technology compared to the other.

To tell you the truth, it's not the 3-D effect per se, but the games announced what has me excited about the 3DS. Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, Super Street Fighter IV, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater. Not to mention remakes of Star Fox and Ocarina of Time with vastly improved graphics. That is a plus. 3-D effect aside, the graphics of the games look great. The little system is apparently even more powerful than the Wii. And considering it is compatible with every game of the DSi, what is there not to like?
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby serbii » July 1st, 2010, 4:30 am

I'll be getting a 3DS eventually as the DS is my most used console by a mile. I don't care about the 3D I'll be getting it for the games

Kinetic is so horribly gimmicky. I mean wii kind of was, but it has a remote, you can develop controller based games for it. Kinetic will last about as long as eyetoy. People play games to relax, aside from the one or two decent party games people don't want to be spazzing in their living room.
serbii

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs