Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2

Unread postby Baladar » April 21st, 2008, 5:32 pm

Anyone else play this game? It's quite fun and only 30 dollars.
Baladar

Re: Team Fortress 2

Unread postby SilentWasteland » April 21st, 2008, 10:19 pm

I have it as part of The Orange Box for the 360, but I've only played Portal on there.

What is so good about it?
SilentWasteland

Unread postby KitS.AllGoode » April 22nd, 2008, 12:11 am

First, let me say yay Portal. Absolutely wonderful game. But as for TF2...it's just fun. Yeah, it's cartoony. No, it's not realistic. But it is bucketloads of perfectly balanced fun, with a bunch of different classes, that are all fun to play, tight controls, and a great sense of humor. Go ahead and play a couple of matches. You won't be disappointed.

Heh heh heh...cry some more!
KitS.AllGoode

Unread postby SilentWasteland » April 22nd, 2008, 1:14 am

Have to wait until my friend gets The Orange Box back to me.

Either of you have it for 360 and be willing to play with a newbie?
SilentWasteland

Unread postby KitS.AllGoode » April 22nd, 2008, 1:43 am

Fraid my copy is for the PS3. You should also of course play the three Half-Life 2 installments. It's not a new engine or anything, but it's about as good as classic FPSes get, and the storytelling is awesome. If you haven't played Half-Life 2 and it's Episodes yet, you've been depriving yourself of one HELL of a gaming experience.
KitS.AllGoode

Unread postby Baladar » April 22nd, 2008, 3:24 pm

I used to play it for the xbox, but then I got it for the PC. It's way better on the PC: free extra maps and content, more players per game, better connection speed for everyone, home made maps, and better mics.

But the main reason why I like this game, is that the name says it all. To be good at Team Fortress, you gotta be a team player. Now for some vids.

Meet the Heavy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY5qJHZCz2I

Meet the Soldier - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFGDF3-popo

Meet the Engineer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRE7MqDXLA

Meet the Demoman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpeK56Nf_mw

Meet the Scout - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jmz1YoX ... re=related
Baladar

Unread postby SilentWasteland » April 22nd, 2008, 11:40 pm

Actually, I did try HL2. For some reason I just couldn't get into it.
SilentWasteland

Unread postby SlayerIssac » April 24th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Ahhh, the joy and wonder that is... TF2.

While I actually own the pc version of the orange box, I sadly cannot run it on my comp... at all. Instead, I am forced to bum game time off my roommate just so I can enjoy it. Oh well, such is the life of the poor average-tech computer junkies

And I would double Baladar's assertions to the pc version's superiority. Duel-analog will never be able to equal key and mouse.

Now I must go and... cry some more...
SlayerIssac

Unread postby Dervon » June 6th, 2009, 5:58 pm

Oqonyf sa deby afpy taly! Swos qwepw qoz xileyk, qodn ofyq! LEZY OFK ZYLFY UAIL TOZSYL! *Casts Thread Necromancy*

Right, so question anew, who here plays TF2? My Steam ID is "BladePHF", feel free to add me so we can go crush puny enemy babies! :D
Dervon

Unread postby Chuckg » June 6th, 2009, 6:00 pm

I've been playing it for a couple of weeks. My kills-to-deaths ratio hovers sub-50-percent, tells you how I'm doing at it. Steam handle is 'chuckg'.

I got an invite to the No Heroes public group, I generally hang around their servers. Sometimes Noobtoob Army. (Note: the NH servers are full of experts. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.)
Chuckg

Unread postby serbii » June 6th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I play it sometimes, not much anymore though.
Fun game :D

Account's under my bro's username as steam won't let us use two >_>. Won't give it out since he still uses it and I very rarely do (plus Aussie servers...)
serbii

Unread postby Phht » June 6th, 2009, 10:24 pm

I've been playing it off and on since it launched. SteamID is "Phht". Also have L4D.
Phht

Unread postby Dervon » June 6th, 2009, 11:44 pm

I play it sometimes, not much anymore though.
Fun game :D

Account's under my bro's username as steam won't let us use two >_>. Won't give it out since he still uses it and I very rarely do (plus Aussie servers...)
Oh? Whats the Steam error, if I may ask?
Dervon

Unread postby Phht » June 6th, 2009, 11:48 pm

TF2 might be linked to his account, so serbii can't play it without buying a new copy? I think that's the issue (at least, it sounds like the type of issue that would pop up).
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Dervon » June 6th, 2009, 11:50 pm

TF2 might be linked to his account, so serbii can't play it without buying a new copy? I think that's the issue (at least, it sounds like the type of issue that would pop up).
Ahh, right, yeah. Had a friend who had to play off his brother's account till he finally bought the game in one of the 50% off sale weeks. :P
Dervon

Unread postby serbii » June 7th, 2009, 3:47 am

*nod nod* That's it.
serbii

Unread postby Dervon » June 7th, 2009, 6:58 am

I've been playing it for a couple of weeks. My kills-to-deaths ratio hovers sub-50-percent, tells you how I'm doing at it. Steam handle is 'chuckg'.

I got an invite to the No Heroes public group, I generally hang around their servers. Sometimes Noobtoob Army. (Note: the NH servers are full of experts. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.)
Huh, Steam can't seem to find you, looked for "chuckg". I don't know if it's your handle or something else you need to give me. Halp!
Dervon

Unread postby Chuckg » June 7th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Ah, whoops. Try looking for 'cglasgow99', that's my Steam /account/ name. What I gave you were the handle I use in TF2, that's a different setting.
Chuckg

Unread postby Dervon » June 9th, 2009, 10:27 am

YOSH! F.A.N. now does 10% more damage! I'm a happy Scout! :D
Dervon

Unread postby Phht » June 9th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Last night I went from 9ish achievements to 20 achievements in Sniper. My first one was free, since the Sniper Milestone was freaking low compared to earlier jobs' milestones.

Highlight of the night: Blue team is pushing the cart and is nearly won the map. In a last ditch effort, I jump off the sniper balcony while throwing my Jarate at them. I don't land close enough to block them any and they win the map. My Jarate? It nabbed me four achievements and my last unlock. Rode Hard, Put Away Wet; Rain on their Parade; Saturation Bombing; and Sniper Milestone 3.

--

Anyone else notice the really low requirements for milestones for Sniper/Spy? Other jobs are 10/16/22, but Sniper/Spy are 5/11/17. It's not even due to having less achievements than the other jobs overall - all job specific achievement sets have 37-38 achievements in them.
Phht

Unread postby Chuckg » June 9th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Sniper/Spy was the last update out -- I guess they're responding to complaints that the other updates were too hard to earn.

Hah, I had a highlight yesterday -- a medic rush on the nomnomnom server, playing offense (blue) on the Borax payload map. 14 medics and one heavy rolling out to war. :)

The red team was so surprised (we could hear them audibly freaking out on allchat) that we steamrollered them back to the halfway point in 60-90 seconds, and made it to the two-thirds in about 4 minutes more, before they finally adjusted their defense enough that we had to switch to a more conventional offense. Still, with only a third of the map to go and 90% of the time still on the clock... well, we won.

What's really hilarious is that the medic rush was spontaneous: somebody joked in teamchat that we should all go medic during the last 20 seconds of the setup phase, and there was this huge simultaneous '... well, why not?' And *bam*, everybody class-switched to medic. We had ubers, we had kritzkriegs, we had battle medics rampaging ahead waving their ubersaws and blutsagers... I still laugh thinking about it.
Chuckg

Unread postby Phht » June 9th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Hahaha. Yay medic rush.

Honestly, I thought the whole "omg getting achievements is too tough for me to unlock them all whine whine whine" thing was the reason why they added the random drop thing in addition to milestone unlocking. If getting 10/16/22 achievements is too hard, then rely on random luck to eventually give you the drop you want. As is, reducing it for Spy/Sniper will produce baw regarding the earlier milestones are too tough and please lower them to the Spy/Sniper level. :futile:
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Dervon » June 10th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Hey Chuckg, I was there, and it truly was epic! I hear this sort of thing happens from time to time on that server, if an admin is on he can even force "Bear Mode", where everyone is Heavy limited to melee and with bear-heads. :D

As for Achievements, the time line actually went like this: First Pack comes out, the Milestones are at 33%/66%/100%. People (rightfully) complain it's too hard. This gets lowered on both the fist pack and the one to come out next, then becomes the norm. Another pack comes out, and Valve realize that many people are just joining achievement grinding servers in order to get the new items. The rate is lowered again, and Valve decide to implement a new system for getting items. Spy vs. Sniper comes out, and both lack Milestones. New drop system is put in, is buggy as hell for the fist day or so (either God-like luck or none at all, happened quite a lot), after the fix it's still rather a case of winning the lottery. People now complain that drops are not fair, they are getting too many doubles and not the new stuff they want. Valve decide to put in Milestones for Spy/Sniper, but lower it again because all the whining is getting on their nerves. In order to make drops less random, Valve made it so items that belong to a given class drop more often while playing that class (this is actually pretty cool and makes tons of sense to me).

And here we are now.

As for the future? Item Trading. Eff-ing sweet, and it's also the reason people are getting doubles at all. More cosmetic items (hats are pretty rad. I can't wait to get a Pyro Propeller Beanie :D).

BTW, I'm Claiming Predictions: Once item trading is up, we will see "Hats/Other Rare Cosmetics for $$$" on E-Bay. Mark my words. :|
Dervon

Unread postby Chuckg » June 27th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, at long long last we can Meet The Pyro.

*crawls off to die laughing*
Chuckg

Unread postby MEKristian » August 13th, 2012, 10:52 pm

You know, I try to make it a point not to post in threads for games I don't play (Read: most game threads), but I just felt I should share the following.

MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs