Fallout 3

Fallout 3

Unread postby Kodra » November 12th, 2008, 10:54 am

I just started playing this on my computer last night, but I am getting very sucked in to it at this point.

It's got all the delicious look and feel of a Fallout game, but being a first person game it does a much better job at putting you in the world. You're character is much more personal, and the story really relates to that.

I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the first two Fallouts. The story was great but fighting and what not was meh. This game brings back some elements from that and introduces other new elements. Some of the way Game Mechanics and Story are woven together is delicious. All in all, this is probably going to win my own personal Game of the Year award.

As a side note, it feels like Bethesda is turning the Fallout world into a Vvardenfell. I think they are going to have plenty of lore for many Fallouts to come, and honestly, I'm not terribly unhappy at that prospect.
Kodra

Re: Fallout 3

Unread postby Wittgen » November 13th, 2008, 5:47 am

Man, I wish my computer could run Fallout 3. It looks excellent.

I also wish that I had brought my fallout cds with me to Japan. The release of Fallout 3 makes me want to give Fallout 2 another shot. The first time I tried, the difficultly was ridiculous. It's not just that it was hard to accomplish things, which it was. It was that I never felt like I got more from quests than I put into them, which gave me the feeling that I was slowly but surely dying. Maybe that was the point, but it wasn't very satisfying.
Wittgen

Unread postby Darkandus » November 13th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Such a fabulous game... it's taken up 90% of my free time since I got it.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Kodra » November 14th, 2008, 10:46 am

The more I play this game the more I love it. It's probably going to end up supplanting Deus Ex as "favorite game ever". The NPCs in the game are interesting and engaging and you want to help them. The combat is both fast paced and tactically compelling. There's not a single skill I don't think I'd love to have more of, making the game incredibly balanced.

As someone who's opinion of games the past 9 years is pretty poor, this game stands out as a beacon to me. This not only wins Game of the Year from me, it probably takes home Game of the Decade.
Kodra

Unread postby Wittgen » November 15th, 2008, 6:25 am

Better than Deus Ex? Hot damn that's some serious praise. Maybe it's actually worth the serious effort to try and figure out a way to play it.
Wittgen

Unread postby Kodra » November 18th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Lindsey pointed this out to me, and it is hilarious.

http://robotpirateninja.com/2008/11/10/ ... eddy-bear/

That's right. You can kill things with teddy bears.
Kodra

Unread postby Soulfuzion » November 18th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Lindsey pointed this out to me, and it is hilarious.

http://robotpirateninja.com/2008/11/10/ ... eddy-bear/

That's right. You can kill things with teddy bears.
I busted a gut when I head the guy say "Teddy Bear to the face!" :rollin:

I so need to get this game someday.
Soulfuzion

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 7th, 2009, 7:43 pm

For the win!
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Dervon » September 18th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I like this game. I like it a lot. It is to blame for the recent lack of updates on NQ. It is a great stand-alone and Bethesda deserves all the praise it gets.

That said, I do stand by what I have already stated in a different thread: This is not Fallout. Its Oblivion with guns and a Fallout-ish flair (which isn't, BTW, a bad thing). I may not be quite as fanatical as the grognards over at No Mutants Allowed.com, but still... Great game on its own merits, but not Fallout.

With the negative outta' the way, I would like to say that I've had a chance to try out some of the official DLC.

Operation Anchorage: Very short. Incredibly short. Suffers from an established F3 issue, lack of replayability. You go through the simulation once, and then there is no way to run it once more. Which is a shame, since the modular load-out system for both your equipment and team really begs to be tried again. After exiting the simulation you get some nice goodies like a stealth-suit (I AM A FREAKING PREDATOR NOW XD), a shock-sword and my personal favorite, a gauss-rifle. Think of the gauss-rifle as the sniper-rifle designed to take out robots. Pretty darn slick. :waytogo

Mothership Zeta: Awesome. Far longer then OA, and you'll get a lot more for running through it. However, like OA it suffers from a lack of replayability, in that 90% of the ship becomes inaccessible after you finish. Which is horrible, since you've probably left tons of equipment behind, and there is a whole optional section that you can thus miss. I know I did. Q.Q Better then Anchorage, IMO. Far better.

Broken Steel: Yay, I get to continue and not be dead! And a level cap of 30! FFFFF- YEAH! Still haven't gone through all of it, but I like the changes that have occurred in the wasteland during the two weeks my character has been unconscious. However... Karma Perks? Really Bethesda? Can you be any lazier?

Yes, a great deal of the new perks are either very weak (really, nothing tops Grim Reaper's Spirit) or totally useless. 3, count 'em, 3 perks dedicated to setting your Karma at certain points? LAAAAAME. A perk that gives you all the schematics? A perk that sets your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. points to 9? Whats with all the corner-cutting perks? Nuclear Anomaly sounds great, but less then 20 health for it to trigger? You'll be dead if anything is shooting at you from outside Nuclear Anomaly's range. Also, it will hurt allies if you have any with you. So your choices when you hit 30 are either Nuclear Anomaly or Almost Perfect (the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. perk above). Lame. Neither match up against Grim Reaper's Spirit, and you probably picked that one up 10 levels ago... :|

New weapons are all very nice.

The Enclave have once more deployed even more advanced power armor. Seriously, the Enclave's apparent technological growth in spite of losing base after base is baffling. It's like the Sharingan of the Wasteland. :lol:

The Pit: Playing through it right now, and I have to say; PLAY IT WHILE LOW LEVEL! Seriously, you'll get freaked out so much more if you are a weak little level 5-ish character. New weapons I've found so far are excellent.

Point Lookout: Have it, haven't played it yet. Will do after the Pit.

In closing: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1409 < Get this, and enjoy having more perk to choose from then you could ever ask for. :D
Dervon

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs