E3 2011

E3 2011

Unread postby doc.exe » June 10th, 2011, 4:15 am

I should be sleeping right now, but given how excited I am, I couldn't thought about everything else than making this thread first. I don't know how many of you have been following the coverage of the event, but I thought maybe we could discuss impressions here. Your thoughts? What do you liked/disliked? What games/systems caught your attention? Etc., etc.

First of all, let me clarify something: At this point in my life (even if I'm not really old :biggrin1 ) I couldn't care less about the Console wars. Indeed, I'm actually sick of them. When it comes to the internet, it's not about the Big 3 from a bussiness standpoint, it's not even about the actual quality of the games and systems. It's all about a bunch of inmature stupid fanboys bashing and flaming each other, trying so desperately to convince the opposition that their system of choice is crap (sometimes without even getting their facts straight at all), all for the sole purpose of feeling smug and superior as if owning what amounts to a bunch of plastic pieces and transistors actually made you a better person. Please? :you_re_kidding_right:

So I will prefer if we get as far away from that territory as possible. And well, now that I have taken that out of my chest:

In terms of the games themselves, a lot of the software that was shown seems excellent, but I get the feeling there were fewer surprises regarding new games than in other years. That being said, Batman: Arkham City, Infamous 2, Bioshock:Infinite and Uncharted 3 look better than ever. For the portables, Kid Icarus Uprising, Super Mario 3DS, Resident Evil Revelations, Uncharted, Little Big Planet Vita and Super Stardust Delta are very impressive. The new Tomb Raider seems to be a fairly interesting deviation from the standards of the series. Aliens Colonial Marines looks interesting as well as Killer Freaks from Outer Space.

Also, for the record, I'm in love with Zelda: Skyward Sword and will get it as soon as I can. :want:

Sony made an impressive showing with the Playstation Vita (regardless of how dumb the name sounds). It's an incredible machine and its games have a lot of potential (Little Big Planet is awesome). On the other hand, I'm kind of curious as to how much of the cost they are absorbing given that the price is competitive with the 3DS. One thing is certain: From a software and industry point of view, the console race in portables will be very interesting this time.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about the new Nintendo console (even if Wii U is also another dumb name). It looks a bit gimmicky? Yes, but then again touch screens are already very integrated in mobile and portable gaming, so it was only a matter of time before someone put one in a controller for a home console. Also, there are a lot of interesting ideas for game concepts with the controller (and it seems that this time the console do has the power to put all of them in practice), not to mention a lot of third party support. There are still some doubts and concerns floating in my mind about it (Is it really more powerful than the current HD consoles, and if yes by how much? Will it support more than one tablet controller at the same time? What about the online strategy? Not to mention the *gasp* price :???: ), but overall I'm impressed (and praying that this doubts are resolved soon and with some positive answers).

As to Microsoft, while their strategy of pushing the Xbox 360 to become a central hub for entertainment has logic from a business standpoint, and I have to say that many of the new features they are promoting look great, I'm still not convinced about Kinect at all. Even if they are promoting "hardcore" games using it, the fact that most of them are On-rails proves that the controller has many limitations. Also, it was really bizarre to see them promoting games about Disney and Sesame Street.

It was a nice show, IMO. My only complaint is that unless I get another job (or actually start a career in narcotraffic or *gasp* politics :???: ), I will never get enough money and time to buy and play many of this things (on the other hand, maybe I could spend every coin I get in games and live with my parents until I'm 40, but where is the fun in that).
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Re: E3 2011

Unread postby Vael » June 10th, 2011, 9:48 am

Elder Scrolls looks very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very sexy.

:want:
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 10th, 2011, 10:17 am

I'm really looking forward to Arkham City and Uncharted 3, any having played Infamous 2 over the past few days, I can personally say it's pretty awesome.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 10th, 2011, 10:45 am

Ditto on Infamous 2. I'm also thinking that I'll pick up Skyrim when it comes out. Arkham City is a "must have".
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » June 12th, 2011, 5:03 am

Skyrim.

Dual wielding magic. Vikings. Dragons.

:yuush:
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Vael » June 12th, 2011, 11:13 am

Undead Vikings Zee, Undead Vikings. :psychotic:
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs