Games of the Moment

Re: Games of the Moment

Unread postby doc.exe » November 25th, 2014, 12:04 pm

I’m not sure if it’s because I’m rusted or because the game is faster paced than Brawl, but yeah, it feels more challenging this time.

Even Classic Mode becomes devious at the higher difficulties. It always gives you two lives per stage, and while that means you are never in a situation where you are down to the last stock, it also gives you little room for error in the final battle against Master Core, particularly at the highest level.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » December 3rd, 2014, 12:13 am

Some of those events, particularly going for the reward requirements, destroy people like me who aren't very good at the game. Why two giant Warios? Why?

And have picked up Alpha Sapphire, though, since I've used basically all the Honen starters in some capacity... time for the stupid option.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » December 5th, 2014, 1:47 am

i have nothing but hatred for Wii Fit Trainer's event matches. They're painful. Just... painful.

That and the two-player "keep them off the ship" mission. I could barely handle the one-player variant, and I lack nearby friends skilled and/or persistent enough to help me win it.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby MEKristian » December 6th, 2014, 1:00 am

I stand by the statement that Falco's aerials are, to paraphrase a hype man-type talking about something completely different, "total balls".

Guess just because he prefers the air doesn't mean he's GOOD in it...
MEKristian

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 10th, 2014, 3:08 am

Just picked up Civ:BE and well, having a go at that. Not doing as well as I should, but learning how to balance things better as I go.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Comosicus » December 18th, 2014, 5:28 pm

I took a break from World of Tanks (again) and started Dishonored, although it's slow moving. There are also bouts of Civ V. Wasteland 2 is on hold until they patch it some more and I get a better computer some time next year.

I plan of getting Starcraft + Broodwar (to refresh my memories) before starting Starcraft 2 (which I didn't play yet). Other than that, I have a huge library of games both on Steam and on GOG, although most would benefit from a better laptop.

I might also look for a PS3 in January when "unwanted gifts" start appearing on the market.
Comosicus

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 18th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Considering the time difference between StarCraft and SCII from release, they made sure that prior knowledge wasn't absolutely necessary. Doesn't hurt tho. OTOH, SCII is a very good game.

On my end, Civ: BE is a good time waster for me, but also investing in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Finally did the smart thing and got out of the Hinterlands there, managed to get past the first part of the game, got introduced to the Big Bad in an epic way, and now got my permanent base of operations.

Then I spent another three hours in the Hinterlands in order to accumulate power. Got most of those done, now off to clear the Storm Coast!
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Comosicus » December 19th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I still have plenty of content in Civ. V to spoil it with BE. Also I would like to wait for a discounted gold edition or something. People compare it a lot with original Civ V before the expansions.
Comosicus

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 25th, 2014, 10:42 pm

The mechanics of BE are very much drawn from the same playbook as Civ. V, but it is also a major shout out to Alpha Centauri in some respects.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 27th, 2015, 7:24 am

Having fun with the RPG parody Cthulhu Saves the World. Got it for cheap on Steam, along with Breath of Death VII by the same developer.

jgkitarel

Unread postby runsamok » January 28th, 2015, 3:09 am

I'm currently playing Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth and also Consortium. I have to say that Consortium is highly entertaining even though it is a bit buggy.
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby MEKristian » February 2nd, 2015, 11:31 pm

Replaying Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in Pirate mode, since I beat Risky's Revenge.

Wayforward, why you so amazing?
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » February 6th, 2015, 2:20 pm

So I recently started playing Persona 3 FES (I would like to say in preparation for Persona 5 but that would be a lie). It is really addictive in any case. Any tips?
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby gamebrain89 » February 6th, 2015, 4:28 pm

I am currently fighting my way through Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on Critical, working toward 100%. Holy freaking BALLS is Data Xaldin hard. I beat him after about a zillion tries, but DAMN. If this is what Data Xaldin is like, I'm terrified to see what The Lingering Will will be like. It got me to stop and take a few hours to grind out some Stat boosters so I could have a higher defense and everything. Though I'm afraid Goofy and Donald might decide Sora needs an Intervention now.

Also picked up Harmoknight and The Wonderful 101 through Club Nintendo's Shutdown Blow out. Haven't started Wonderful 101 yet, but Harmoknight is actually pretty fun. I'm enjoying it.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Phht » February 7th, 2015, 4:48 am

So I recently started playing Persona 3 FES (I would like to say in preparation for Persona 5 but that would be a lie). It is really addictive in any case. Any tips?
To get the most out of a single play-through, use a Max S-Link Run guide. There won't be much spontaneity, but you'll get to see all the S-rank plot lines in one play-through (which unlocks a unique high level persona you can get through fusion). Other than that, grinding and doing requests for Elizabeth are good ideas (particularly requests for clearing a chunk of Tartarus). Some requests require asking a specific person on a specific day (with the request active), so that needs to be kept in mind.

If you don't want Mitsuru to spam Marin fucking Karin during battle, be sure to do the scan thing every battle. Apparently that reduces/eliminates her decision to do stupid moves during a given battle. Oh, and the Reaper. Avoid the Reaper most of the game. IIRC he's high 80s or somewhere in the 90s level-wise, so it won't be until late game that you'll even have a chance against him.

Edit: yes, S-link. My mind was not on subject for that word, it seems. >.>
Last edited by Phht on February 8th, 2015, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phht

Unread postby doc.exe » February 7th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Thanks for the info.

I considered looking at a Max Social Link guide, although it seems I already have deviated from the optimal path. In any case, I will see just how closely I can follow it and how far I can upgrade my social links.

But really, this game is addictive. As in “huh? 4:00 am? Where did the time go?” addictive.

doc.exe

Unread postby Random_fan » February 8th, 2015, 1:54 am

Before my computer crashed I was playing Final Fantasy IV. It's only the third Final Fantasy game I've played but it's really good. I knew a little about it going in but for the most part I'm discovering everything new and I'm intrigued as to where it will go.
Random_fan

Unread postby RavynousHunter » February 15th, 2015, 7:59 pm

I've been playing (and enjoying IMMENSELY) Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends (PC version) and Alice: Madness Returns. Mostly the former. Lu Bu finally gets his own campaign again, and it. IS. AWESOME. Especially the hypothetical route. I've also been doing (shameless plug ahead) a modded Minecraft LP recently and have actually been having quite a bit of fun with it. I seem to enjoy explaining my favourite mods to an audience that is largely nonexistent, lol.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby MEKristian » April 2nd, 2015, 9:45 am

Choose. Your. Character.

But please don't say somebody like Goku even just to be a troll, yeah? They're already gonna be flooded by dumb stuff, so don't add to the people who have to read this' stress levels.
MEKristian

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 8th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Playing Pillars of Eternity at the moment, and really enjoying myself. But still can't wait for Witcher 3 to come out. Also looking forward to Dungeons 2.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 21st, 2015, 1:42 am

Found Kerbal Space Program. Now that is an interesting game. Managed to blow up 10 rockets during launch, destroyed my launch facility twice, and lost an astronaut in orbit.

Fun.

jgkitarel

Unread postby MEKristian » August 1st, 2015, 5:45 pm

Playing FFV advance.

Oh god Blue mage is hilarious.
MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » August 2nd, 2015, 1:35 pm

Blue Mage is love. Blue Mage is life.

Favorite class in the series, especially in FFV and the FF Tactics Advance series. I just wish it had a little more compatibility in FFTA2 with the Seer Job. I really liked the idea of casting a spell and then beating your target up via teleport rush all in one turn. Quake + Dual Wield Magick Frenzy is my favorite thing n that game.

In other news...

I run a Pokemon League (a semi-official club for Pokemon enthusiasts to play casually and competitively for prizes straight from The Pokemon Company), and I recently ran a small tourney. Basically the Battle Factory - I bred a bunch of Pokemon, and handed them out via trades.

It was a beautiful mess, but I learned a lot from my efforts, and it was great fun.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby MEKristian » August 7th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, and Dragoon.

What is my party set-up and why does it hate healing.
MEKristian

Unread postby Wraith5 » August 7th, 2015, 9:23 pm

I recently got myself sucked into Warframe... On the outside, and at first look and about an hour in, it was an awesome game. Then the item grinding began...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs