Skyrim

Skyrim

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 2nd, 2011, 5:21 pm

So, who else is looking forward to Veteran's Day weekend?
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Re: Skyrim

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

I have been waiting eight years for this day! :TT_TT:

Taking an entire week of leave, stockpiling food and shutting off phone as soon as it releases.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Minion » November 2nd, 2011, 7:39 pm

Looking forward to the dual-wielding. Just can't decide whether or not to go double spells or axe and sword. It'll be fun taking on dragons though.
Minion

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » November 5th, 2011, 4:10 am

I'm so glad my little bro is buying this game. Ah, all those years of him mooching off my game purchases is finally paying off.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Wittgen » November 10th, 2011, 7:44 am

So, uh, steam is telling me that the game won't be unlocked until December 7th. But steam forums just got hacked, so I'm not sure it's legit. When will steam downloaders be able to play Skyrim? Do any of you guys know? It's hard to decide when/if I should get it with such a lack of information.

Edit: Nevermind. Seems to have worked itself out.
Wittgen

Unread postby Chuckg » November 10th, 2011, 8:57 pm

My Steam is telling me that it will unlock in approximately 5 hours.
Chuckg

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 10th, 2011, 10:03 pm

2 hours 57 minutes to go...
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Wittgen » November 11th, 2011, 4:13 am

Well, apparently the release date for Japan is December 8th. The "unlocks in..." message was not there when I bought it. I bought it partially because I figured the earlier message was some glitch from region/hacking woes. No. Very irritating. There's no reason I can think of that I should have to wait a month to play a game already preloaded that I could play anywhere else in the world.

On the other hand, hilarity.
Wittgen

Unread postby Minion » November 11th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Picked it up at midnight release, but didn't play till this morning. I'd be further in the story but I can't make up my mind about shield and sword/mace or fire. Fire everywhere.

Actually, I'm settling on shield/weapon combo since I immolated myself on the first dungeon.
Minion

Unread postby MrRigger2 » November 11th, 2011, 1:22 pm

I won't be able to pick it up until after work today, but I expect I'll pick a weapon/magic combo, or heavy magic for my first run through. How's everyone else liking it so far? Is the leveling system anything like Oblivion's?

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 11th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Better actually, you tend to level a lot faster, and you can level on the fly without the need for a bed (which refills your hp and mp counters, making for a nifty trick at lower levels when you're up against a powerful opponent and you're on the ropes). Plus you don't have to focus on specific skills in order to level, any skill going up contributes to your leveling progress.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Minion » November 12th, 2011, 12:54 am

Anyone else had the pleasure of being killed by a giant? I thought it might be okay to pass by but it attacked. Blocked the first strike. That was a mistake. The second killed me like I expected, but I didn't know it would send me into the clouds! I wonder if that's a glitch...
Last edited by Minion on November 12th, 2011, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minion

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » November 12th, 2011, 1:40 am

Anyone else had the pleasure of being killed by a giant? I thought it might be okay to pass by but it attacked. Blocked the first strike. That was a mistake. The second killed me like I expected, but I didn't know it would send into the clouds! I wonder if that's a glitch...
That sounds like the best kind of glitch.
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Minion » November 12th, 2011, 4:07 am

...It was pretty cool to watch my mangled body fly through the air, that I can't deny.
Minion

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 12th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Not a glitch, giants are just insanely strong due to them being, ya know, giant.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » November 13th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Been playing on second-to-highest difficulty. When you see a saber tooth cat, you better feel the fear man. RUN.

Thankfully, the voice and sprint making dodging a viable battle strategy! Anyone else playing on anything more impressive than adept?
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 13th, 2011, 7:32 pm

I am playing on Expert.

15 hours in, level 13 nord destruction/conjuration/sneak primaries.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Minion » November 16th, 2011, 6:20 pm

So, there's been enough time for numerous memorable moments while playing. I'd like to share a few of mine.

First attack by a dragon. I'd been killed by a snow troll and was on my way to try again when a dragon intercepted me, and killed me numerous times. But it was the first one I killed on my own (using a nearby NPC as bait counts as alone, right?).

Leveled up and learned decapitation mid-fight, then killed the last enemy with it. It was like the game was telling me it was the right choice.

But my favorite moment is during a quest for the Winter College. I'm facing this witch and she wants me to hand over a student. Instead, I sneak behind her and slit her throat bypassing an epic boss battle. :ninja: And I'm a battlemage.
Minion

Unread postby Kodra » November 16th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Playing on Adept this go around because I'm trying to play without care for optimization.

Will probably try some harder stuff afterwards.

I'm really tempted to join the mod community to build a NV Hardcore Mode mod that focuses on Exposure to the elements. (Because having to go swimming in sub zero temperatures should be a harrowing experience.)
Kodra

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 16th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Some of my favorite moments:

*Got a bandit thug down to low health, then rezzed a goat I had killed nearby and watched it kill him.

*First time I used the Ice Form dragon shout. Ran out of power and was being chased by a crowd of draugr down a hallway, ran into a locked door and my shout finished recharging as they caught up to me, used the ice form shout and watched a wave go down the hallway and freeze all of them solid.

*Was out of power and shouts, trapped in a hallway and about to die by a falmer swordsman, he raised his sword above his head for a power attack but right as he begins to swing my companion hits it perfectly in the eye with an arrow, killing him.

*Fighting a bandit near a cliff, we were pretty even but I finally killed him with a combined lightning bolt, it picked him up off the ground and threw him ten feet to the cliff edge, then fell a couple hundred feet down off the mountain. Was awesome.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Magnificate » November 17th, 2011, 2:27 am

Playing on the highest difficulty with armor-less Illusion/Sneak mage. Either bypassing encounters or watching people fight themselves. Boss encounters on the other hand are quite time demanding.
Magnificate

Unread postby Chuckg » November 17th, 2011, 5:23 am

Been playing this game for almost a week. I'm way minus on sleep, I went days without shaving or cleaning up. 'Addictive' doesn't even begin to describe it. This thing is just unbelievable.

Best game I can ever remember playing. I am not exaggerating.

And this is before the mod community has at it. Un-believable.
Chuckg

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 17th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Chuckg, that is what happens when an Elder Scrolls game is done right. Reminds me of Morrowind.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby gamebrain89 » November 17th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Alright, you guys convinced me. Started playing last night, running a Khajiit Thief/Destruction Mage. Only just found the dragonstone before I had to quit because I realized it was 1 in the morning. Is it just me or are the Elves alot more...cartoony looking than in Oblivion?
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby someone » November 18th, 2011, 2:32 pm

I'm still undecided whether to get it for XBox and play it now or wait till I get a better PC so I can use mods...
someone

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs