Game recommendations and discussion

Game recommendations and discussion

Unread postby ewuvi » January 1st, 2009, 4:55 pm

It seems as though a lot of people got games over the Holidays, and I'd like to discuss them a bit. I got a PS3 and am looking for games I'd be willing to drop $50 bucks for, as I've finished Prince of Persia. So... what games are your favorites, what platforms are they for?

Personally, I'm a softie for The Sims. I have Sims2 with the expansion packs University, Apartment Life, Seasons, Night Life, Free Time, and the Celebrations Stuff pack. I'm eyeing Bon Voyage and Open For Business.

I also loved Prince of Persia (2008), and I loved it. The ending was a bit of Sweet! followed shortly by, okay, why did my character just do that? And despite the fact the Prince wasn't a prince, and the fact that he was pretty American, I really liked it, are there any other games like that out there?

I got Little Big Planet as well, and while it doesn't suck me in and not let me go until my eyes got fuzzy and bloodshot like the above game did, it's pretty fun.

And of course, the wonder that was Kingdom Hearts. I'm currently trying to hunt down a copy of Chain of Memories for PS2, I'm sure I was it somewhere... But yeah, that series was amazing. I hear they came out with more in Japan, but I'm not sure if they're ever gonna be released in the U.S. Anyone know about that?

But yeah, any other games that people really like, or thoughts on the above ones? I'd like to know a little bit more about the ones that fellow Viridian Dreamers like.
ewuvi

Re: Game recommendations and discussion

Unread postby Phht » January 1st, 2009, 6:30 pm

Anything from Valve. Half-Life, Half-Life 2/Ep1-2, Portal, Day of Defeat(: Source), Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead... Valve has a knack for making games that tell the story through gameplay rather than cut scenes (not counting TF2, DoD, or L4D, given that they don't really have plots), and making fantastic games. Or for spotting top notch modding groups working on mods, or companies with awesome in progress games for Source engine, and annexing them. They're also great in supporting mods for their games - Counterstrike and Day of Defeat were both mods Valve saw potential in and acquired them plus the mod teams responsible, and Portal's core starting team was acquired out of college based on their senior project game (involving using portals to move stuff and get through levels) IIRC. Main platform is PC via Steam, though they have had releases on various platforms over the years - most recently Orange Box and L4D on x360 (I think OB was also released on ps3?).

Audiosurf is a fun little casual game. If by fun I mean lose track of 2-3 hours playing it. Creates a track to race on based on what song it's given (via audiosurf radio or music file), and places colored and grey squares along the track. The speed you move through the track is based on the flow of the music, so you'll be going slow during slow parts and fast during the fast parts. You collect groups of the colored squares while avoiding the grey squares to get points. PC only, I think (go Steam). There are audiosurf videos on youtube if you wish to see what it looks like.

Hm. I haven't really played any other games recently. Bought Bioshock off Steam because it was on sale for $5 (along with Audiosurf), but haven't installed it yet.

--

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. If you don't have it, get it. It's awesome. Getting on PC means you get access to all the various mods for it, which'll certainly extend the life of the game. KotOR2 is more optional because of it's bugginess and lack of proper ending. The TSL Restoration mod for KotOR2 is at 1.0b1, with plans to release it at 1.0c1, so hopefully that'll be out some time this year. That'll fix a lot of the plot problems by restoring cut content that was discovered on the KotOR2 CDs.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 1st, 2009, 6:50 pm

Fallout 3, if you're a big fan of games like Morrowwind, I think this one will appeal to you.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Minion » January 1st, 2009, 7:24 pm

I've never actually played it, but Ultimate Ninja Storm for the PS3 is said to be a must-have for fans of the series, and it looks amazing.

Okami for the PS2. That one I have, but never actually got around to playing. The only reason I bought it in the first place was because it is said to be truly awesome, given 5/5 and all that jazz. And it was $20.

As for the KotOR recommendation, seconded. If you have a 360, it can be downloaded for a fee instead of tracking down scratched and used discs. The sequel is a little... off, because it wasn't developed by the same team. It's strictly OK.
Minion

Unread postby MEKristian » January 1st, 2009, 10:12 pm

Been playing Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden for the past few days.... Such an awesome game... just finished off the plot from the guys behind Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, and movin' on to... something... probably the Titans again...
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Jamey » January 1st, 2009, 10:30 pm

Damn, I'm so old-school. Give me a copy of MAME/MESS, and a truckload of old NES ROMs, and I'm happy - Zelda, Zelda II, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior...

Seems like there's a Palm NES/Gameboy emulator running around - I need to see if I can dig it up and get it running...

Honestly, I'm not that big a fan of the new 3D environments, except Second Life. I thought Zelda 64 was a pretty big mistake.
Jamey

Unread postby Wittgen » January 2nd, 2009, 12:38 am

You thought Ocarina of Time was a mistake? Yes, perfect transitions from 2D to 3D for a series in a gaming environment where 3D was becoming everything are just so stupid. :roll:

I'm currently playing Planescape: Torment. The downside is that it's old and the graphics hurt a bit, actually making gameplay harder on occasion. The upside is that it possesses the best writing I have ever seen in a video game. The story is good, but the writing is honestly superlative. Check it out.
Wittgen

Unread postby Greybane » January 2nd, 2009, 6:10 am

My bro just got Spore Galactica edition for Christmas and it is incredibly addictive. So many options...
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby lucifer10 » January 2nd, 2009, 11:25 am

I'd recommend anything from Bioware. My sig and avatar point to the game that I am currently enthralled with :biggrin2 . Anyone with an X360 should get this game. There are a few issues with loading times and textures but the story is just too good to pass up. It offers lots of replay value like all Bioware games are known for (I still play Baldur's Gate II). I'd better stop before I accidentally start throwing out spoilers :roll: .

Edit: I forgot to mention if you have downloaded the New Xbox Experience (NXE) you can install the game to the harddrive and it helps to speed up the loading times.
lucifer10

Unread postby ashez2ashes » January 3rd, 2009, 2:11 pm

I've been playing Animal Crossing: City Folk a lot lately, don't know why... I'll be playing and think: collecting virtual furniture is really stupid, but then I'l keep playing for some reason.

Been also playing Little Big Planet off and on, I got stuck on the main story (this part in the Wasteland where you have to navigate a giant electrified hamster wheel) so I'm sorta frustrated with it right now. Some of the levels I've seen people create are amazing. The Spirited Away level blew me away.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby ewuvi » January 4th, 2009, 7:02 pm

Just got my hands on the Orange Box :drool: . Can't wait to play it. I have to wait until the Viking's game is over. I hate football.

Odd note, my mother and I were the only female customers in the store, and the female store clerk, (she's really nice. Helps me pick out games some times) commented that it was nice to see some girls in there.
ewuvi

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs