Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii, or PC? Which is your favorite platform?

Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii, or PC? Which is your favorite platform?

Unread postby ashez2ashes » January 12th, 2009, 12:56 am

What is your favorite gaming platform and why? I've got all three, and I prefer my ps3. Even though the game library isn't as big as 360, I think there's a lot more value packed in its features. The 360 has better online networking though, much easier to connect with friends than other systems. I only play my Wii once in awhile. While it could be awesome, most of the games are made for little children who don't know they're playing shovelware. PC gaming is on its last legs, imho so I don't bother with it anymore (takes too much money to keep up with too).

So what's your favorite?
Last edited by ashez2ashes on January 12th, 2009, 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ashez2ashes

Re: Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii, or PC? Which is your favorite platform?

Unread postby Jamey » January 12th, 2009, 1:09 am

What is your favorite gaming platform and why? I've got all three, and I prefer my ps3. Even though the game library isn't as big as 360, I think there's a lot more value packed in its features. The 360 has a better networking though. I only play my Wii once in awhile. While it could be awesome, most of the games are made for little children who don't know they're playing shovelware. PC gaming is on its last legs, imho so I don't bother with it anymore.

So what's your favorite?
I'll probably give you the Wii opinion, as the Wii doesn't really aim for the gamer market, instead reaching out for a wider group.

The XBox 360 and the Playstation 3, though, do aim at the more conventional gamer market. I have to question, though, your assertion that PC gaming is on its last legs, as nearly any current computer, even laptops, can match the power of both with ease - assuming they are set up to boot a non-Windows OS from CD. What's gotten the X360 and the PS3 their position on gaming is the exclusive title lockups, and a lot of ad dollars. The breadth of gaming is still on the general purpose machines.

Of course, I'm a reactionary old-schooler currently re-playing Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 via the good graces of emulators.
Jamey

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 12th, 2009, 1:15 am

Heh, I've got both. One of the benefits of having a paycheck and no real life to spend it one I guess.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby unknown513 » January 12th, 2009, 3:10 am

I mostly use emulators, So I will say the Wii(emulators via the homebrew channel) with the PC a close second, the DS and PS3 are tied for 3rd, the PS2 in 4th. I don't own an xbox, not enough jrpgs yet
unknown513

Unread postby Phht » January 12th, 2009, 3:28 am

PC. Definitely PC. I had a rant on the non-death of PC gaming, but I felt it was a little too angry for this thread and deleted it (It did make me feel much less angry to write it all out after seeing that comment).

The Wii doesn't target gamers. It targets families. This is clear from the commercials they do - it's of young and old coming together to have fun with a game system. I have a Wii. Because of playing Wii games on my system, my parents have one, two aunts have one, and a cousin has one. Maybe another cousin got one because of playing on my system. Why? Because it has group games that are easy to do and the whole family can get together to play. My family can go do Wii sports or Rayman Raving Rabbids or other games together for hours waving our remotes around having fun.

I can't see paying $500-600+ dollars for a game console that has extraneous PC capabilities added to it. I could buy a decent computer with the money saved by not buying a PS3. Xbox360 has no games that I'd want to play that aren't made available on PC (and even many of those "ports" to PC I wouldn't touch).

I would say: 1st PC, 2nd Wii/DS, 3rd PS2.

Hey, PS2 is fair game to mention here still. When the latest Persona (Persona 3:FES and Persona 4) and other games come out on PS2 well after PS3's debut, the console is still in competition.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Shoubushi » January 12th, 2009, 1:36 pm

I'm a PS3 gamer first and foremost. I fell in love with Playstation from the first time I ever played Twisted Metal 2. I enjoy some of the older games that came before that time, like Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. However since the PS1, Nintendo has gone steadily downhill in my eyes and I see no reason to coninuously buy their new systems just to keep up with Zelda.

I tried Xbox a few times and I'm not terribly impressed. I'm not a fan of online gaming, I don't really like the way the controller fits in my hands (especially back before they made it smaller. I have small hands), and since my PC always has windows and I own a Zune I figure Bill Gates owns 2/3 of my soul as it is. I'd like to keep that last 1/3.

PC gaming I like, but I don't really have a good system to run on. With how my life has been with constant deployments and field problems and other stuff that sends me all over the place I couldn't really rationalize buying something ridiculously expensive or a desktop. So my laptop can play some games but not a lot. I can't even play The Witcher and that's like what, 2 years old now? I shudder to think what my computer would do if I tried to play Crysis.
Last edited by Shoubushi on January 12th, 2009, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoubushi

Unread postby ewuvi » January 12th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Well, I'm definitely not as much of a gamer as many of the people here are, but I prefer my PC and my Playstations 2 and 3. 2 still has plenty of (cheaper) games for me to look into while waiting for a PS3 game I'm willing to shell out that much cash for, but the graphics on my PS3 are simply mouthwatering.

360 is okay when I've played it. The controls always feel awkward, and I haven't found many games for it that I want (besides Fable 2).
ewuvi

Unread postby lucifer10 » January 13th, 2009, 2:38 am

I'm a 360 gamer. Fell in love with Microsoft's product back when the first Xbox came out. I loved the fact that it had a harddrive (I hated memory cards) and I fell in love with Halo. I went from Nintendo to Sony to Microsoft an have been playing the PC all along the way. I love the 360's selection of games and have already collected quite a few. The Wii and Ps3 don't really have anything (in the Ps3's case) or enough (in the Wii's case) to attract my attention. That said I'm not much of a gamer anymore because I don't have the time, but hey that is life for ya! Oddly enough I'm not like many 360 gamers I know because I really don't care much for online gaming. I'll take splitscreen multiplayer any day.
lucifer10

Unread postby unknown369 » January 14th, 2009, 2:00 pm

None of the above, Gamecube FTW :mrgreen:
unknown369

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 14th, 2009, 2:25 pm

The only games I ever played on PC were the Command and Conquer series, so I can't really say I'm much of a fan there, and while I enjoyed classic NES and SNES, GameCube and Wii don't really hold my interest. And I've never liked XBox. The controller was too large and clunky for my tastes, and there wasn't a great deal of games that I wanted to play that were exclusive. I have however been a Playstation junkie for years. The games always seemed to hold my interest longer, and if I ever did want to play an XBox game, I just had to go over to my buddy's house.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 15th, 2009, 7:18 am

Xbox and Xbox 360: I remember I was oh so young and wandering through out local K-Mart when some kid my age asked me if I was a "Halo Fan". I had no idea what that was, so I just replied "Nope! I'm a Lord of the Rings fan!". Huh, that changed. I never had to play with the stupid fatty controllers, so that never put me off, but as soon as I realized, "Dude, I'm not a giant floating ring blasting aliens away from this ancient structure trying to save and collect a bunch of marines for a counterstrike against their massive ship overhead," my young brain was hooked.

And then KotOR came out. Blam! It happened again! So there was two good games for the console.

And then I played the first Fable (it was lucky for me I didn't hear all the hype, so it was way better than I expected it to be rather than just slightly disappointing). Three good games conviced me I should branch out and start actively looking for more good games, which led me to a lot of renting.

To make a longer story short, I haven't had trouble finding "melt my mind" good games for the 360, and the controller adjustments they made are stellar. So yeah, that's my story.

...Plus Starcraft. No, I don't say PC because I don't like most games on the PC, but Starcraft is in a who other league. W00t for SCII !
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby unknown399 » January 27th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Wii, with the PS2 and PC following.

As powerful and awesome as the PS3 is, I'd sooner buy it for its Blu-Ray capabilities than for any of the games on the system itself. Aside from testing out LittleBigPlanet, I don't see any reason to pick up the system. (Yet. When the inevitable release of Kingdom Hearts III arrives, I'll have to buckle.)

Same goes for the XBox360. Not enough interest in the games, despite the large library.

I personally don't mind the graphical limitations of the Wii. My first priority when gaming is to have fun. Sometimes the graphics factors in, particularly when playing RPGs or other games that tell an epic or movie-quality story. If I'm going to be watching as much or more often as I'm actually playing, then I'd at least like the graphics to look pretty. But since I often stick with platformers, puzzle, and party games (alongside those RPGs), the Wii simply caters more to my gaming genres of interest. (Aside from the RPGs, of course. But I've got an RPG backlog I'm still working through, so I don't need next-gen games in that genre just yet.) Besides, as a raving One Piece fan, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that one of the reasons I got the system was to play Unlimited Adventure.
unknown399

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 3rd, 2009, 11:39 am

Hmm, I'll go with PS3, despite my lack of games for it. Besides, I still play my PS2 all the time as well.

My reason for the PS3 basically comes down to the fact that I was never too impressed with the XBox, or the 360 to begin with. The 360 has only two games exclusive to the system that I want to play (and one of them may port over to the PS3 in the near future, the other will probably go to PC in it's own time.)

Part of it also comes with the simple fact that the games on PS3 just simply look better, and very few games coming out will be exclusive to any system. Gaming companies have learned to maximize profits.

Oh yeah, also like my PSP and DS.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Lthayer3 » August 3rd, 2009, 12:40 pm

PC gaming for me. On its last legs? People have been saying that since the NES came out. Two decades worth of being on its last legs, and it is still going strong. I don't think PC gaming is in danger of going away any time soon. Really, you look at gaming systems today and they're incorporating more and more features, becoming more like PCs by the day. If anything, it will be the console gaming as we know it that will go away long before PC gaming.

Of the other systems, I would have to say I like the PS2 the best. Most games for consoles just aren't my style (I can't stand 1st person shooters), and consoles aren't made for strategy games (Ever tried playing the console version of Starcraft? Yeah, that's an experience I don't want to go through again...). PS2 has Final Fantasy, though, and they're more entertaining on a console than with keyboard and mouse.

I don't understand why people like the Wii so much, and the Xbox is alright, but I've never seen any games that really made me want to buy the system (though I can say that I do at least like the controls after many tortuous sessions of playing Halo, as convincing my friends to play anything else would take an act of God.)
Lthayer3

Unread postby serbii » August 4th, 2009, 2:02 am

DS > PS2 > PC > Wii
at the moment. It swaps around a little if I get new games but DS generally wins hands down (I may have an R4 card... :leaving:)
serbii

Unread postby Wittgen » August 4th, 2009, 2:26 am

Looking forward to scribblenauts? I know I am. Thaumaturge is going to be the first word I input.
Wittgen

Unread postby serbii » August 4th, 2009, 5:56 am

I can't help but think the entire point of that game will be to trip it up. But, yeah I am looking forward to it.
serbii

Unread postby Kal » August 19th, 2009, 4:02 pm

PC > Wii > XBox 360> PS2 (don't own 3 -- haven't found someone giving it away yet...) > Xbox > PS1 > Nintendo > TI > Atari.

We collect outdated systems. :)

PC is most versital, and you can get some fun little mods of yesteryear. The Wii is followed closley becuase it is a blast for groups and easily operated when drinking. XBox 360 has some beautiful games, though it just edges out PS2 due to the games I like to play. As I hate 1st person shooters, that really limits the games available for the 360. My hubby will toss in his two cents and say 360 is better becuase of the Halo games. We both played each of the Fable games on this as well. I am a big fan of the Balder's Gate games, but preferr the old PC version to the newer consoles. But that is becuase my style of play -- I love side quests and try to clear all the maps to the best of my abaility. We also enjoy some of the Final Fantasy's, but like linear stories more than what most of these allow. The older systems are just fun to dust off from time to time.
Kal

Unread postby Random_fan » August 19th, 2009, 7:16 pm

For me my PS2 beats anything I have, though I might put PS3 above it when I get it. The only PC games are the first dawn of war and it's expansions so it doesn't really register. Never found any games I like on either X-box, I'm the only person I know who doesn't love Halo but that's because i suck at FPS'. The WII comes second and could be first depending on how the motionplus add on works. I rarely play my PSP or DS anymore but there are a couple of games for each I'm trying to find so they may come back into the equation shortly.
Random_fan

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs