Baldur's Gate 2: Thread of Bhaal

Baldur's Gate 2: Thread of Bhaal

Unread postby DidelotM1 » March 7th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Since this game sparked a nice bit of quasiderailment on another thread I thought it'd be keen to put up it's own thread.

To start off I'll give a bit of background on an 'average' or typical play through I take through the game. First my character is almost always a melee class, though I have tinkered with the Bard class every once in a while. I've been known to reroll the stats for hours to get it 'right' no I do not use the debug mode as that would be 'cheating'. ;) I also suck at coming up with names so I'll typically grab the first fantasy style name that pops into my head. My group almost always (baring being turned into little chunks, I try not to reload if I get a bad result.) includes Jahiera and Minsc. My party almost always includes Aerie as well, yes I know the complaints about her, (whinny, too complainy, ect.) but it doesn't bother me as put in her position (relatively recently having two limbs go gangrenous and then hacked off without dulling the limbs any) would make me whiny and full of complaints too and since all the romance options tend to assume you're the 'nice guy' until proven otherwise. Jahiera's romance makes me feel uncomfortable in that her husband just died like not minutes into the adventure and if you go by the in game time it's only days afterward she starts taking interest in you that and it's buggy as all get out. Viconia's I tried, I really did but I totally hit my limit of patience with the entire Hot/cold 'I love you/I hate you/I give up' she pulls. No thanks, not for me. I'm also typically the bright shining beacon of hope and goodness (buttkicking and otherwise.) for bhallspawn everywhere.

Embarrassingly I've never completed Baldur's Gate 1. :oops:

I tend to shy away from full on NPC mod add ins as I find most of them too focused on the NPC in question sometimes to the point of 'why am I even HERE again?' other Mods I use are Unfinished Business(adding in missing/dropped side quests like Minscs), Dungeon Be Gone (skips you past the starting dungeon while giving you the stuff and XP. Great for constant restarters like yours truly), NPC flirt pack(let's you initiate dialog with your chosen love interest), NPC banter pack( more party interactions), Various fixpacks (fan made fixes to various in game oddities and bugs), and the bonus merchants.

I've also tried Baldur's Gate Tutu, which despite the silly name lets you play BG1 in the BG2 engine and, I hear, let's you go from one game right into the other. There's also alot of mods for this thing, notably more party interaction mods and romancable party members.

IMO they truly broke the mold when making this game. I never got into the Icewind Dale series because I was never interested in making my entire party and then running through various perils all without the banter and personalities of the part members. It got dull and boring quickly for me.
DidelotM1

Re: Baldur's Gate 2: Thread of Bhaal

Unread postby AntiNaba » March 7th, 2009, 3:30 pm

[quoteF]irst my character is almost always a melee class, though I have tinkered with the Bard class every once in a while.[/quote]

I might as well use my SoA playstyle, since I've never plyed ToB. Mainly, I'll go for Blade (Dual class once Grand Mastery is achieved)/Sorcerer or Invoker. Occasionally a Bard, Ranger or Druid is interesting enough for me to play the whole game.
My group almost always (baring being turned into little chunks, I try not to reload if I get a bad result.) includes Jahiera and Minsc.
Baldur's Gate: Probably the only game where you keep characters in your party or in your presence for the awesome dialogue.
My party almost always includes Aerie as well, yes I know the complaints about her,
Ditto. A good mage/cleric combo she is, even if her Wis/Int could use another point. But she's still a character success, you might love her or hate her, but either way you feel strongly about her.
Embarrassingly I've never completed Baldur's Gate 1. :oops:
WORD. Why is it so tricky?
IMO they truly broke the mold when making this game. I never got into the Icewind Dale series because I was never interested in making my entire party and then running through various perils all without the banter and personalities of the part members. It got dull and boring quickly for me.
Yes, the Baldurs Game was a veritable classic. And nowadays, with most games lacking a plot without training wheels, or having romances that are better left rotting somewhere in the forest (Battle for Wesnoth is a fair contender for the latter, especially the Dwarven Doors campaign.), BG really retains its charm and appeal. Plus, it's a game dedicated to a dead man! (Not G.G; just one of the design staff)
AntiNaba

Unread postby Shoubushi » March 7th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I've done almost everything that you can do with BG2 and I still love it and still play it nearly religiously when the mood takes me. I tend to prefer melee class with kensai being my favorite, yes I know that as fighters go kensai is horribly hobbled. I just like the name to tell the truth. I also prefer to play as the good guy but I've done the bad guy route and taken the route to godhood a few times.

My favorite romance in the game is actually one of the mods, the Saerileth mod. Honestly I can't recommend this mod enough.
Spoiler: show
But I will give fair warning, Saerileth the character is 15, whereas your character is usually thought to be about 18-20 if I remember correctly. Personally I thought this was a pretty nice touch towards realism. In that kind of age and society the sad truth is that women married early
Also, for Antinaba, might I recommend this for your problem with Icewind Dale? This way you get to have your cake and eat it too. :biggrin2

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index. ... Itemid=122
Shoubushi

Unread postby AntiNaba » March 13th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Actually, does anyone know where you can get the actual script and options for these romances? They're pretty good, fairly inspiring for ones own realistic scenes... ish.
AntiNaba

Unread postby lucifer10 » March 13th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Well i've got a script for the options in both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal. Only for the normal options of course. Not for the characters you can download from the mods however. I'll send them to your email if you want. I've got them as word files. I got them from http://www.sorcerers.net, if you'd rather go that route. Let me know.
lucifer10

Unread postby AntiNaba » March 14th, 2009, 3:06 am

The email sounds sweet, I'd go to the Sourcerer but I'mma big headache.

Wait, I have a big headache.
AntiNaba

Unread postby lucifer10 » March 14th, 2009, 12:51 pm

Alright I'll get right on it. :biggrin1
lucifer10

Return to “%s” Console Games, Computer Games, & MMORPGs