Jasruv's One-shots

Re: Jasruv's One-shots

Unread postby Phht » August 19th, 2010, 2:26 am

Though I've always wondered why so many people take the First at face value. He;s evil, why wouldn't he lie to make himself seem more powerful than he is. First Evil is just a name. I doubt he's as much of a fundamental force of nature as people make him out to be. Something that powerful and alien wouldn't bother with something as minor as the slayer line.
I think it has to do with a few facts: 1) He's non-corporeal and thus totally untouchable (except by a divine shovel provided by the Creator), 2) his mooks gutted the Watchers organization and offed a lot of Potentials, 3) his minions and lieutenant were smacking around full-powered Slayers with relative impunity, 4) defeating him required extreme measures and almost didn't succeed.
It's much less of a headache to pretend the word "wicca" was never mentioned in BtVS, ever. Otherwise, you'll have to listen to me rant about neo-paganism, eclecticism, and religion for like a page, just because.
OR we could go "maybe in this universe, wicca's not like that. Maybe in 95% of universes, wicca's not like that. But in Buffyverses, wicca is actually how it's seen in the show!" Changes in alternate time lines is always an usable excuse, because maybe wicca 'evolved' differently in a world filled with things that go bump in the night like vampires and demons.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Satori » August 19th, 2010, 3:09 am

]It's much less of a headache to pretend the word "wicca" was never mentioned in BtVS, ever. Otherwise, you'll have to listen to me rant about neo-paganism, eclecticism, and religion for like a page, just because.
OR we could go "maybe in this universe, wicca's not like that. Maybe in 95% of universes, wicca's not like that. But in Buffyverses, wicca is actually how it's seen in the show!" Changes in alternate time lines is always an usable excuse, because maybe wicca 'evolved' differently in a world filled with things that go bump in the night like vampires and demons.[/quote]

Congratulations, you just activated Lecture!Satori! This gets you the Word of Mod Achievment and 9 renegade points.

Wicca=/= Withcraft

The latter is a term that can be generally used to describe the practice of magic.

The former is a BDSM-ish fertility cult (Yes, fetility cult, i means what you think it does) started in the 1930's-50's (exact date is unclear to the secretive, paranoid founder) by a British civil servant with occult interests. It should be noted that some traditionalist Wiccan covens actively forbid homosexual members because many of their rites are explicitly heterosexual (and generally between married, or at least committed, couples), and thus Willow and Tara would not be Wiccans.

In fact, no TV portrayal of witches is "Wiccan". The closest they come is some being eclectic neo-pagan.
Satori

Unread postby Jasruv » November 17th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Here is another BtVS ficlet I recently began working on. Its another major diversion fic that crosses over with Stargate. (Because the Multiverse really needs another one, no really it does, the voices told me so. :psychotic: ) Plus a few elements from RIFTS. My idea outline is in the second section.

Spoiler: show
The Redeemer

Location: Earth's Solar System, Somewhere between the orbits of Neptune and Uranus

With a massive flash of released energy across the entire EM spectrum, a ship roughly two thirds the size of a Goa'uld mothership arrived in Earth's solar system. Rotating to face the center of the system, the menacing ship began to move towards its target on the third planet.

The energy release of the unexpected arrival of the ship had already been noted by the incorporeal beings known to some as the Ascended Ancients and others as the Powers That Be. However, their senses came up blank as to the ship's crew or even its layout. A few of these entities approached the ship with the intent of discovering all that could be known about the ship and its purpose.

The first Ascended being to try to enter the ship gave out a telepathic cry of shock and horror as it was suddenly drawn into a symbol that began to glow on the ship. All the other Ascended withdrew from the ship's path as all detail was lost from the telepathic cries of their sibling. Only a thin echoing cry of pain and horror could be sensed emanating from the ship.

A technician examined the computer readout in front of him and called out to his superior.

“Sir! We have a large energy disturbance located in Grid 109 Section 56!”

The Air Force major in charge minimized the document he was working on and mirrored the reporting technician's readouts to his own screen. After the last few attacks by the Goa'uld, the USA had quietly spent a few billion dollars to improve their ability to monitor their own solar system. Although a stealthed starship could probably still enter the system and land on Earth, the release of energy from the hyperspace window collapse of an arriving starship could still be spotted if the ship arrived close enough to the inner system.

The Major frowned as he examined the preliminary readings on the event. The pattern of the release didn't match any known hyperspace drive system but it was definitely much too large and organized to be a natural phenomenon. He made the decision and opened an encrypted line to the SGC while putting on a set of headphones with a mike.

“This is a Condition Yellow warning of a potential solar incursion event. I need to speak with General Hammond and Major Davis immediately.”

While the mortals of Earth began to quietly mobilize their response to the invader, the alien ship continued on its path towards its goal. Making no attempts at stealth, the ship was spotted as it crossed the orbit of Mars by several civilian astronomers. The attempts by various governments to keep them all quiet were unsuccessful as several released images of the alien craft on the internet and the news media. Those governments who took the news seriously began mobilizing military and police reserves to help counter the expected panic.

When the observing astronomers reported that the craft seemed to be heading for Los Angeles, the Governor of California declared Martial Law and called up the National Guard. He also requested military forces from President.

Details about the invasion, military is caught off-guard when the craft passes by LA to head for Sunnydale. Mention of how the craft is very disturbing visually.

Craft hovers above Sunnydale and drops forces clad in seemingly impenetrable armor (non-humanoid, four armed serpent tail instead legs armor about 12 feet long).

Buffy panted as she staggered down the street, following her friend Xander as he led her away from the battle she had just lost. She kept the scream of pain down to a soft hiss when a piece of rubble turned under her foot and jarred her broken left arm that she was holding close to her chest.

She had been unable to deal any real damage to the invaders that had dropped out of the craft hovering above the town. All she had been able to do was to knock one of them down and it had just gotten back up and struck out at her. Her blocking the blow was what had broken her arm and Xander had thrown a bag of flour from the local market into its faceplate to buy her time to get away.

She and Xander had gotten separated from the other Scoobies by the screaming crowd. Buffy was just glad that her Mom had been away getting stuff for the gallery when the whole alien invasion thing had happened. The only upside of the invasion was that the Mayor had been caught out by it as well.

“In here Buffy!”

Xander whispered urgently from up ahead as he held open a familiar steel door. The club where she had been setup by her old friend Ford to be fed to Spike had been a bomb shelter she remembered. She only paused long enough to make sure that the door wasn't a one-way trap before going inside. She watched as Xander closed the door and then locked it with a key on a keyring. She made a point to ask him about it later when her arm wasn't hurting so much.

She followed Xander as he pulled out a small flashlight and led the way to a room with a cot and a bunch of boxes of various stuff. Xander went directly to one box and pulled out a dull green first aid kit. He then shuffled stuff around inside the box before pulling out some wooden rods and canvas straps.

“Sit down on the cot so we can fix your arm, Buffy.”

What followed was unpleasant as Xander set her broken arm and them strapped the splint on to keep it from moving.

Few hours pass. They don't talk much and Xander periodically slips up to the roof to see if things calm down enough for them to get out of town. He watches thru binocs as an Army squad gets massacred by one of the armored snakes with even anti-armor rockets being ineffective. Attacking jets and helicopters are destroyed by massive lightning bolts from the alien craft.

Spoiler: show
1. Buffy/Xander Ship Fic, Spaceship fic that is.
A) In a dimension pretty far removed from the Buffyverse, a race of enslavers use a lesser form of Rune Magic to trap and draw power from the souls of other sentient races.
B) Two dimensional travelers start a rebellion against the Enslaver empire by creating space vessels called Redeemers that are powered by volunteer souls from the victims of the Enslavers
C) The Redeemer ships are a combination of technology and magic with a primary weapon system that breaks down the runic magics in Enslaver ships
D) Enslaver ships
i. Enslaver ships are entirely magic based and when the trapped souls are released by the Redeemers, the ships become useless hulks that can be destroyed by the Redeemer ships secondary weapon systems
ii. Enslavers have magical counterspells that reduce the effectiveness of the Redeemers' primary weapon system, requiring several shots before the enslaver ship starts to lose souls and weaken
iii. Enslaver ship hulls are normally near-invulnerable due to the souls trapped within them.
iv. Enslavers use a ritual to destroy the body of a victim and trap the soul in the main power core where the new souls are 'burned' until they become mindless while magic is drawn out to power the magical systems of the ship
v. once the souls are rendered docile in the power core, they are then transferred to other parts of the ship to reinforce the physical integrity of the ship and power minor systems with the residual energies left within the soul
vi. Eventually the souls become so drained that they slip out of the runic traps, so the enslavers need a constant supply of new victims
vii. Enslaver species thinks of all other life as prey, the only value such life has is what serves the purposes of the enslavers
viii. Enslaver ships use a magical rift gate system (Redeemer vessels do as well)
E) During a major battle in the Rebellion, one of the redeemer ships is hit by a singularity attack from an enslaver ship and forced into the Buffyverse.
F) The ship ends up within a few lightyears of earth
G) The Redeemer's crew didn't survive the dimensional transit and the Redeemer ship's soul lands on earth and buries itself deep in the Pacific Ocean to recover from the shock of losing its bondmates
H) The soul of the Redeemer ship was originally from a species roughly equivalent to an Earth Dolphin but with eight eyes and twelve fins
I) Sometime during the third season of Buffy, an Enslaver vessel, that had also been dragged into the Buffyverse by being too close to another Enslaver ship's singularity attack, appears in Earth's solar system and then attacks Earth. Specifically Sunnydale in an attempt to turn the Hellmouth into a dimensional gate back to their dimension.
J) The Enslaver vessel lands troops in runic power armor to begin altering the Hellmouth, pausing only to swat away any annoyances. The rune armor can survive ground zero of a nuke blast as well as being able to launch magical lightning bolts that can destroy tanks
K) The Scoobies are split up by panicking mobs. Xander and Buffy find each other and hide out in the old bomb shelter that was used as a club in the Episode 'Liar'
i. Buffy has a broken arm and several burns from when she tried to attack the invaders and Xander improvises a splint for her while they wait for nightfall to sneak out.
ii. A image of a hooded figure appears before them and explains that the invaders are going to attempt to turn the Hellmouth into a portal to their home but the side effects of that are likely to turn the Earth into another asteroid belt or render the planet uninhabitable to life
iii. The image then states that it should be able to destroy the invaders and their vessel but only if the two of them are willing to give up their lives on Earth and permanently bond themselves to the figure
iv. Buffy and Xander agree in short order and are transported to a cabin in the Redeemer vessel which had been bringing its systems out of stasis while maintaining a cloak against the Enslaver ship's mystical sensors
L) Xander and Buffy bond with the Ship's Soul, something that is required in order for the ship to use its primary weapon system, and yield control to the Ship's Soul because of the time pressure
M) The Redeemer ship bursts out of the ocean and catches the Enslaver ship by surprise, getting several free shots with the primary weapon and disabling most of the weapons and the engines of the Enslaver ship
N) Buffy and Xander pass out after the battle from the stress of experiencing each other's memories as well as those of the Ship's Soul
O) Possible Plot: The Mayor is in Faith's hospital room where she is in a coma after getting between him and an invader. The changes to the Hellmouth that the invaders had begun before they were destroyed have made his Ascension impossible, although he is still invulnerable. However his soul is now forfeit when his invulnerability fades after the hundred days is over.
i. The hooded avatar of the Redeemer shows up to offer Wilkins an opportunity to avoid the endless tortures that await him by placing Wilkins' soul into a Rune Bracer.
ii. The Redeemer also offers to heal Faith and let Wilkins be worn by her if she serves as the Ship's Hand for the Redeemer and its captain.
iii. The Redeemer is making the offer because it found out during the bonding with Buffy and Xander that the two were part of spiritual triad with Faith but the manipulations of the both the Light and Dark Powers had split them up.
iv. Also, due to mystic damage done to Buffy and Xander, they would be unable to leave the ship for several years possibly as many as 15 or 20 before the bond would be stable enough.
v. Wilkins would have to swear several interlocking magical oaths before being bound into a runic form. He would provide protection vs magic for Faith as well as extending her lifespan
vi. Wilkins agrees to the deal, especially when the avatar makes the convincing point that his previous demonic allies would never permit him to make any further attempts at power.
P) Crossover with Stargate as SG-1 and the NID try to find any usable tech from the Enslaver ship and find nothing usable while the Redeemer hides from the world until Buffy and Xander wake up
Q) Buffy and Xander shift their fight to help out SG-1 with the Goa'uld do to their being stuck on the ship.
R) Buffy learns medical techniques and becomes the Ship's Doctor while Xander becomes Captain
S) Possible plot point: Buffy has a natural inclination for healing/medicine that was subverted by being Chosen as the Slayer, with the PTB using the choice of the next Slayer to curtail humanity's ability to grow/evolve by killing off the females who would either become great or powerful figures or bear such figures.
i. Possible secondary story idea: Hitler would have been normal guy except his soulmate was killed off young because she was chosen as the Slayer???
T) Willow and Oz are sent to a nexus of earth magic in the wilds of Canada to wean Willow off of her addiction to the Hellmouth's energy. This is done by the Ship's Soul while Buffy and Xander are unconscious for about ten days recovering from the bonding process
i. Ship dumps them into a unclimbable pit with plenty of camping gear and food, as well as a uber-tough alloy cage for Oz's 'furry time'
U) The Ship's Soul gains a human persona due to stuff gained from bonding to Buffy and Xander
V) The two learn many things from the Ship and eventually become romantically involved with each other and then after a while with Faith as well.
W) Due to their bonding with the Ship, their lifespans are increased to a few thousand years, barring death by violence
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Return to “%s” One-Shots, Drabbles, and Miscellany