Your Problems Have Only Begun

Your Problems Have Only Begun

Unread postby VoiceoftheNephilim » June 9th, 2008, 9:43 pm

I saw this on FFN recently, and remembered reading it a while back. It certainly seemed like it could have been interesting, even though it may be hard to do a Post-War story without any of the trio still left alive.

If indeed you have abandoned it, would you mind saying what your plans for it were? As is, it really is hard to say which direction you planned to take it in.
VoiceoftheNephilim

Re: Your Problems Have Only Begun

Unread postby viridian » June 9th, 2008, 11:19 pm

It grew out of an uneasy feeling I had with Dumbledore's 'look of triumph' right after learning Voldemort was ressurected using Harry's blood.

Albus Dumbledore died in 1945. Grindlewald has been wearing him like a hat since then, and manipulating all his erstwhile allies.

Harry was allowed to find a spell/ritual that would take Voldemort out, but the backlash would be fatal to everyone else in the vicinity without prompt medical care. (That detail was concealed excised from the spell description.) Harry, Ron, and Hermione found a clue regarding Voldemort's new hideout, while Voldemort was warned (through Snape) that Harry was coming for him.

Ginny became too frustrated with waiting and left home, trailing along behind the trio. Harry got to Voldemort (who hesitated because he'd been feed information that indicated Harry could reflect his most dangerous spells) and used the spell. The backlash dropped everyone, but Ginny saw the detonation and arrived in time to stabilize her friends. She was also privy to enough details to realize that something was rotten here. After they regain consciousness, Harry and company collapse the caverns and go into hiding, letting everyone think they died taking down Voldemort.

The Weasleys eventually become involved in a quiet conspiracy to take out the real Dark Lord, Albus Dumbledore, AKA Grindlewald.

I got the seeds for this plot right before NoFP, and that was by far the stronger story. Some elements, as you can see, have also been incorporated - or will be.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby VoiceoftheNephilim » June 9th, 2008, 11:31 pm

An interesting idea, for certain. I can see where you could have come up with some problems, as, yes, not as strong an idea as NoFP.

I would wonder why Grindelwald would be content to spend fifty years gaining slow control of the light, when one would think that would be adequate time to achieve whatever nefarious ends he wanted. I do think it would have been interesting to see you do an ultra-manipulative, evil Dumbledore, as IP82 and Apocalypso-33, in my opinion, are the only two authors to have truly succeeded in painting an evil Dumbledore.

So, thanks for replying.
VoiceoftheNephilim

Unread postby viridian » June 10th, 2008, 9:05 am

Well, by '45, his muggle allies were pretty much toasted. If he's clever enough to see the writing on the wall, then he might opt for politcal conquest and slow subversion - as opposed to more confrontational strategies.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby unknown479 » October 21st, 2008, 5:22 pm

Why was it never continued?
unknown479

Unread postby viridian » October 22nd, 2008, 1:45 am

I got the inspiration for NoFP shortly afterwards, and most of my idle "cool ideas" got absorbed into it.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Return to “%s” One-Shots, Drabbles, and Miscellany