WW3 Chronicles: Felix Wright and Sector A-765. CC needed!

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

WW3 Chronicles: Felix Wright and Sector A-765. CC needed!

Unread postby Lilcross » July 23rd, 2009, 1:23 am

Prologue.

When you think of summer vacation, you think of playing football with your friends, blowing up bad-guys on your favorite video game, and going to the movies with your cute girlfriend all while being lazy and leaving behind all the drama high school has to offer.

I think of my mother committing suicide, the event that caused a chain reaction of terrifying adventures that eventually lead to the almost total annihilation of the entire world. But you don’t care. You're just here for the thrill of a “fictional” adventure, looking through my eyes. Escaping from your so-called hard life. Besides, this kind of stuff only happens in books or movies, like this one; right?

Keep fooling yourselves with all the lies the government has feed you. You’re like a bunch of children, so gullible. By all means, keep deceiving yourselves while you still can. Because when the “fictional” organization Sector A-765 hits you’re peaceful little town, you won’t be laughing; but screaming for mercy.

Have fun reading through the events that scarred me for life.

A/N:This is my newest and greatest story I've made yet. It combines everything I've learned so far, and mashes in all the different themes (and some charters) from all of my previous stories, so consider them disbanded. Don't worry, you won't see time-traveling aliens/mutated human hybrids in dreams that mean something in the distant future. LOL. (Although I will directly use the Sector A-765 prologue, but in a different way.)

I'm tired of making a story, quitting it, then making a new one. I need to make a commitment and stick with one.

Also, it's inspired by viridian's Harry Potter fanfic, Percy Jackson series, Alfred Koop, and obviously all of my previous stories (if that counts.)
Lilcross

Re: WW3 Chronicles: Felix Wright and Sector A-765. CC needed!

Unread postby ewuvi » July 23rd, 2009, 12:48 pm

Nert.

I don't think you should use this in your story. If I read this at the beginning of a book in a bookstore, or in the library, I would put it back on the shelf. And I would laugh.

It's like you took about ten steps back from your previous writing with this, and that really disappoints me.
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » July 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Really? I enjoyed writing it...a lot.A dude from another site tells me I should stop at the first two paragraphs, and then he said I should just drop the rest. So, where does it start to fail from your POV? I knew that I should've stopped there, but I keep typing as new ideas exploded in my head. So should I just drop this entire prolouge and start off at chapter 1, or keep part of it? Anyway, thanks for the wake-up call.
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » July 23rd, 2009, 1:59 pm

I was iffy the first paragraph, and after that, I was just :| . So really, even with all of it's flaws, your other prologue was so much better it's not even funny.
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » July 23rd, 2009, 2:03 pm

:shock:
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » July 23rd, 2009, 2:07 pm

Sorry, lilcross, if I come across as very mean, but this intro you have right now is something I'd expect to find on ff.net or livejournal. Definitely not something I'd ever spend time to read.

I want you to get better, and I will spend hours (it took me two to get through your last piece) going through and writing comments for you, but I also want you to give an honest effort.

Read books. Read good books, and tell me if you will ever find something like what you just wrote in them.

I am being harsh with you because I know very well that you can do better.

:hug:
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » July 23rd, 2009, 2:38 pm

You don't come across as mean, it's just that I'm feeling very disappointed in myself right now. And I probably should. When I write the first chapter, I'm going to actually write it instead of getting overexcited and posting it recklessly.
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » July 23rd, 2009, 7:51 pm

Heh, well. Try to have a plot, and don't have the narrator telling us what's going to happen, and don't have the narrator come across as a whiner. Everyone hates whiners.
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » July 29th, 2009, 9:33 pm

I've been working on the prolouge, but it sounded too much like the old one. So I just stuck did this:

And with that, four tasks were assigned to me.

One: Get the girl.

Two: Find A-765’s rival organization.

Three: Recruit others for the cause.

Four: Save the world from total destruction.

My seemingly popped open. I sat up in my bed, clutching my forehead. This is going to be a helluva summer.

That's it. I think it's OK, but not spectacular. The thing I don't like about it is "My eyes seemingly popped open." That sounds kind of stupid, you know?

My eyes popped open cartoon style.

My eyes shot open.

I opened my eyes to find myself lying in my bedroom.

My eyes shot open to find myself lying in my bedroom.

But I read in a book that "less was more" so I stuck with that. But I really don't know.

(Also, I know what the first chapter is about and what it's going to cover, but I can't seem to start it off well. It's so :futile: .)
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » July 29th, 2009, 9:37 pm

I heard somewhere that you scrap the first three or so chapters anyway, so starting off a bit weakly is nothing to be concerned about.

Forget the prologue, I say, forget it!

It lends a sense of mystery to the story if you don't tell them the conclusion right out.

Imma give you a writing assignment if you don't protest. How about it? Will you step up to the plate?
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » July 29th, 2009, 9:47 pm

So no prologue? I don't know why I stick with them, I guess I'm afraid that the first chapter won't grab their attention.
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » July 29th, 2009, 9:48 pm

You don't need to worry about the opening not grabbing attention if all you have is a beginning.

I have the same problem, eh heh.
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » July 29th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Well, I actually have a lot of the story planned out, (not outlined.) but the problem for me has always been the beginning and describing the plot in the middle.
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » July 29th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Just plow your way to the middle, and then we'll work out the issues with the beginning, eh? :biggrin1
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » July 29th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Ahh. I see. I shouldn't worry if it's good or not yet.
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » July 29th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Pretty much, bad as that sounds.
ewuvi

Unread postby Lilcross » November 23rd, 2009, 10:07 pm

After 3 months of trying to write a scene in first person but observing the events in a third person style (Can't describe it.) I gave up.

This was the first lines:
Walking down the street with a desert horizon behind his back, was me.

It can't be.

But it was. And in his-- my hand was a bright orange grenade with a green clip. No doubt about it. My eyes were aimed strait at me.
Every sentence after that was pure garbage. I was supposed to describe the scene from an older work in the tone, but I just couldn't do it. Maybe when I get better at writing I'll try it in that style again because I like how it was turning out, I just don't have the ability to write in that style yet.

So I went back to first person, tried leaving more hints to the mystery and here it is:

Chapter 1 – Twelve seconds

I had twelve seconds to save the world.

The thumps in my chest were agonizing. I breathed in only to feel the sharp spike of pain.

Ten seconds.

My hands were trembling as I reached into my grenade pouch and took out to the powerful TW-765 grenade.

Eight seconds.

I admired the device that was about to simultaneously kill me and save billons of lives. It was bright orange, with a green safety pin.

Six seconds.

I unclipped the grenade. This was it. Bright flashes of the past blinded me.

“Mom—don’t do it!”

Both corners of her mouth curled upwards slowly as tears like wax flowed down her cheeks.

“I can't bear such a burden, Felix. I can't...” She had a revolver pressed against her temple.

My face was burning with rage. I couldn’t believe what she was about to do.

I screamed. My Mom. Cowards way out? No chance in hell. My feet slammed on the tiles, leaving cracks.

“I won’t let you do it Mom! I won’t let you!”
She pulled the trigger. BANG!

The flash shimmered away and in front of me appeared a huge warehouse made of iron. Souls of the dead sent an intimidated chill that warned me I was about to join them.

Five seconds.

I took a deep, yet short breath. This was it. My finest hour. My call of duty. It was time for me to leave my impact on the world.

I am about to die.

After I accepted that fact, I charged through the door to find bullets already slamming into my bullet proof vest. It was ether a miracle by God or my sheer willpower that kept me on my feet. I felt intense burning and realized that the bullet had pierced through it as my heart accelerated and sent a rushing sensation throughout me. Explosive liquid flooded my throat and sent a metallic taste in my mouth. I coughed it up and kept moving, as the rush grew stronger. The whole thing was a suicide mission, launching an attack on the most dangerous organization in the history of mankind as a single man.

Nobody bothered to shoot at me more, they were probably either low on ammunition or hesitant to waste it on a scum like me. I was beginning to think I overestimated them, though. After they shot me they just went on about their business, never thinking that I could be a suicide mission. The moment they knew I was seconds away from death’s door they just looked away. Still, it was too late for regrets. I had to complete my mission.

Four seconds.

A man who appeared to be moving in slow-motion with a smug expression on his face and wearing a ski cap jumped down from the rails to intercept me. His fist shot towards my head in arc. Even though his fist was moving slow, I was in too much pain to do anything but keep running forward. He clobbered me, but I twisted my neck to avoid most of the damage. Despite my efforts, everything in my left eye instantly turned white and I staggered backwards a few feet. Well, I was fighting a grunt from this organization. The man raised his fist high in a vertical angle, preparing for a chopping right. Smirking, I raised the grenade parallel to his face.

I don’t care what organization you’re in, or how strong you are; if somebody thrusts an unclipped grenade in your face you’re going to panic. I used his hesitation to my advantage and sent my knee crashing into his groin. He fell to his knees with a wail.

Two seconds.

I stepped on his head and pressed downward. I felt myself flying in midair.

I hesitated for a millisecond, but then sensed bullets racing towards my back.

I flung my grenade as hard as I could into the air vault.

An orange mushroom. Heat replaced the amazing rush, and smothered me. I heard cracking, and then all the feelings inside of me went numb. Another flash…

Flowing brown hair. Tan skin. Water and amber eyes. Lips…Lips…? Lips? What? I focused so hard, I could feel a vein popping out of my brain. Lips…a face…ahhh. A girl was kissing me. I was at school. The test…This happened in 4th grade, when--

The image was gone.

The sun was really bright, but the shine was totally gray. A magnificent sight. Wait a second, why was I outside? A woman who looked shockingly similar to the girl in my vision was standing above me with tears in her eyes. Why was she crying? Didn't she see how beautiful the sun looked?

“That’s…odd.” I closed my eyes and smiled.

XXXXXXX

Somehow, I knew. Four tasks had just been assigned to me.

One: Get the girl.

Two: Find A-765’s rival organization.

Three: Recruit others for the cause.

Four: Save the world from total destruction.

I wake screaming. My body bolts upwards, as cold sweat floods down my face. My head throbs so terribly I clutch it.

This is going to be one helluva summer.
Lilcross

Unread postby ewuvi » November 23rd, 2009, 11:07 pm

Placeholder. I'll go through it when I get my soul back.
ewuvi

Re: WW3 Chronicles: Felix Wright and Sector A-765. CC needed

Unread postby Lilcross » May 12th, 2010, 7:40 pm

WW3 Chronicles:Felix Wright & A-765.

Chapter 2 - Teddy Bear

"You alright, Felix?" My mom called from downstairs.

"Yea-yeah." I felt my heartbeat steady. "Just a nightmare."

"Well...Um...Are you hungry?"

"Not really. I'll whip something up in the kitchen later."

I sit up and turn on the TV with my remote. Some sitcom was on, and since I hate the sound of laugh tracks I turn it back off.

I curl myself into a ball. My fingers are trembling. I can't stop them.

The dream is really freaking me out.

Feeling the need to talk to something, I picked up my old Teddy bear from 3rd grade and hold it to my face. It has big adorable black eyes, a white chest and red vest. Its fur color is brown.

"So, do you have any idea on what's going on here?"

My bear stares at me blankly. I hurl it across the room, ashamed I actually expected an answer.

"Actually, I do."

I look around. Who said that?

"'The bear' did. Isn't it about time you named me? For Pete's sake, you’re in 8th grade. It's been five years since we meet. A name is long overdue, my friend."

Panic starts to settle into my stomach.

No, calm down. The part of me still sane says. I call him-it(?) Brain. Someone’s playing a trick on you. You might as well humor them.

I pick up my bear from off the floor.

"I've gone insane, haven't I?" I ask it.

"Nope. I'm really talking."

"Your lips aren't moving, though."

"So? YOU can hear me, correct?"

"Well, yeah." I scratch my head.

"Then that's all that matters."

I sigh.

"Alright then. If I haven't gone insane prove it to me by screaming out 'I'm bored!' and if my mom hears you, then I'm not."

"No can do. Only you can hear me."

I feel panic creeping in once more.

I flip the bear over and put its back to my ear. No sound. I throw the bear on the ground and step on it. (“Ouch!”)No hidden equipment. I look out my window. Nobody there.

I sit back on my bed in curl into a ball once more. This can’t be happening. I really am going insane.

Fool! You’re too smart for that. You’ve got to get a grip. If you can hear it then you’ve got to believe this is reality. I know it's hard, but I can't think of another way.

I take a deep breath. Brain's right. I've got to have faith in my sanity.

I pick up the bear once more.

"You done abusing your favorite toy?"

"Shut u--" My mom walks into my room right in time for me to tell my Teddy bear to shut up. Her jet black strait hair is very frizzled. In her brown eyes I see worry.

"Are you OK, son?"

I have no idea what to say.

"Um...yeah?"

She stares at me with genuine fear before turning away and exiting.

From then on I spoke to my bear in a whisper.

"Alright, thing." I hiss as I squeeze it hard. "Why is this happening, why did I have such an insane dream, and why are you talking!"

"So many 'Why's'! Alright then, Felix my boy, I'll fill you in on your quest. Let's get the most shocking thing out of the way right now...That dream you had last night? It was real."

I shake my head.

"It can't be tr--"

"I'm afraid it is. In six years, six months, and twenty days, you and you alone will stand against the black organization...and die."

My life is thrown into fate's hands.

Chapter 3 - Insanity

Believe it or not, I'm a pretty smart guy. I've already figured out what some of the dream meant. The bear simply confirmed the truth that I refused to accept, which, I can tell you, is a terrible feeling.

After I throw my bear on my desk; I find myself once again paralyzed in a ball. Why am I always curled up like this? I think.

"Isn't today your last day in school?" My bear asks.

With a curse I jump up from my bed and hurry to get dressed.

"Alright, while you get ready let me finish filling you in. Do you remember in the dream when--"

"I remember every single detail." I interrupt as I throw on a plain black t-shirt.

"For once he did a good job on the spell! Interesting..."

"Who's 'he'?" I ask as I slip into my blue jeans.

"Oh, yeah. Dammit, so much stuff to cover." I have a feeling that if my bear could move he would face-palm.

"You know what? I'll fill you in when you get back. I need to arrange my thoughts. And bring some friends home with you, too."

"Why should I take orders from a Teddy Bear?" I ask.

"You want to live, right?"

I sigh. "They will think I'm insane."

"I know what I'm doing."

"Your a f**king bear, dammit!" I yell, forgetting to whisper in my fury.

I hear my mom running upstairs. You idiot, Felix. You idiot.

What now?

No clue...

"Jump out the window." the bear says.

"What? Are you shitting me?"

"She's coming upstairs to kill you."

With no hesitation at all, I grab my backpack and bear, open the window, and jump.

Chapter 4 - Murderess Mothers

My brain is outraged.

What the hell were you thinking?!

It told me to jump, so I did!

So intelligent, yet so stupid.

I fly towards the ground. As the world turns into a blur I think to myself: This isn't so bad...

BAM! My feet hit the ground to send a huge vibration up my spine. It hurts terribly, but I can stand up so I guess I'm OK.

I look up at my window to make sure that jumping was worth the trouble. My mom is pointing a revolver at me. The one she used to kill herself in my dream.

I go numb.

There isn't a sound as her fingers tighten on the trigger. A bullet flies towards me. I can't move. The bullet just barley grazes my cheek. My whole body screams in pain. I fall to my knees. Look up to stare my Mother in the eye. Her hands are trembling; she can't aim right. I stand to my feet. I run. A bullet flies by me. I grab my head. Tears burst from my eyes. I want to scream. I hear my mother sobbing...

How long have I been running? I open my eyes to find myself at the front parking lot of my school.

What the hell?

My bear spoke up. "You were crying so much that I was forced to alternate your brain waves to so you could subconsciously run here instead of aimlessly--"

"I get it, I get it." I wiped my nose.

"You OK?"

"My mom just tried to kill me." Don't cry anymore. It's a sign of weakness. Don't.

"Sorry."

I start to walk towards the school when my face starts to sting. I touch the spot and yelp.

"How am I supposed to describe this wound?"

"You fell down the stairs."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Trust me, it'll work."

So I walk inside the school. Exactly three seconds later, Mr.Duffy, my homeroom teacher, grabs me by the shoulder.

"What the hell happened to your face?"

Real scuttle, asshole.

"I-I fell down the stairs."

"What! Are you kidding me?"

"N-no..."

He starts to pressure me before he see's the look in my eyes.

"Yeah, whatever. Get your tardy butt to class after you visit the nurse."

I nod, grateful. Sure, Mr. Duffy can be a jerk at times, but it's clear as day to me that he has a soft heart underneath his tough exterior.

After giving him a wave I walk to the nurses office.

I walk into the office, and a few minutes later I walk to my homeroom class rubbing my new band-aid.

"Your lucky your Mom's a bad shot. She had an stationary target, and STILL missed. Amateur." My bear says.

That's not it. The nozzle of the gun was perfectly aimed at me until we made eye contact. She couldn't kill her son. That thought is the only thing keeping me sane.

The day goes by like a blur. Friends gave me their farewells, and I wish I could paying more attention, but who can concentrate after their Mother shot at you? 7th period arrives, Math.

"Did you forget your mission? You're supposed to get some friends to--"

"Of course I remember. My closest friends are in this class."

"I see. Little info on them?"

"What's so important about their personalty?"

"Makes it a bit easier to manipulate."

I grunt and enter 7th Period, AP Math.

The scene is so abnormal of them I smile for the first time this morning.

Papers are flying through the air, gossip makes it's way into my ear, kids feet are on their desks, totally relaxed.

I guess Summer does this to people!

"Felix! Yo!" A familiar looking boy with jet black hair and amber eyes walks towards me.

The Bear starts to whisper to me.

"And that is?"

"Best friend, Dax." I mumble. "I've known him for awhile now, and I still can't personally describe him accurately. He's just--he's just--Dax."

(Stops here, rain out of brain fuel.)
Lilcross

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop