Heroes and Villains Contest

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Heroes and Villains Contest

Unread postby ewuvi » December 12th, 2009, 1:04 am

How many people would be interested in a contest where you write a short story about an original Hero or Villain. I'm thinking original setting, too. So yeah, any thoughts?
ewuvi

Re: Heroes and Villains Contest

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 12th, 2009, 1:09 am

... after careful consideration, I'd have to say that I'd have an unfair advantage here, since I've got at least three different teams of heroes already occupying space in my personal plot-bunny farm.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby ewuvi » December 12th, 2009, 1:10 am

Pfeh, as if.

Anti's got an entire fleshed out legion. So do I, actually. I'm sure everyone's got ideas. I mean, WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!

Sorry. Had to do it.
ewuvi

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 12th, 2009, 1:12 am

... point.

Okay, I'm in.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby ewuvi » December 12th, 2009, 1:14 am

If we can get a couple more people in, I'll start trying to hammer out rules. Any suggestions on that front, Tempy?

I decided that I'm not going to put considerable effort in until I know some people will freaking participate.

Got a good voting system worked out though, so I can participate too.
ewuvi

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 12th, 2009, 1:23 am

I'm in.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby gman391 » December 12th, 2009, 2:00 am

I'll take a shot.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Random_fan » December 12th, 2009, 2:30 am

I'm in.
Random_fan

Unread postby SquirrelyRequiem » December 12th, 2009, 2:31 am

I shall toss my hat into the ring as well.
SquirrelyRequiem

Unread postby Thozmp » December 12th, 2009, 6:12 am

I got some Heroes and Villians in my head I need to let out.
Thozmp

Unread postby Dervon » December 12th, 2009, 7:49 am

In.
Dervon

Unread postby Kirai » December 12th, 2009, 8:45 am

Eh don't have anything in mind at the moment but I'm sure I can make something up, in.
Kirai

Unread postby Darkandus » December 12th, 2009, 9:08 am

I'll think on it.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » December 12th, 2009, 10:36 am

By heroes and villains, do you mean of the superpowered variety or just protagonists/antagonists? I'll have a go either way, just one way might be harder than the other.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Nasdaq » December 12th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I'm in like Flynn.
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Unread postby ewuvi » December 12th, 2009, 1:00 pm

I don't think it matters if they have powers or not. Also, spandex unitards are not required.

Also, HOLY CRAP! This is crazy, I can't believe how many people are signing up. I was a bit hesitant trying to do this, but it looks like this will be awesome.

Do we want to split into two pools, one villains and the other heroes, then have the winners/corresponding ranks of each face off, or is that too much?
ewuvi

Unread postby Dervon » December 12th, 2009, 1:06 pm

I don't think it matters if they have powers or not. Also, spandex unitards are not required.

Also, HOLY CRAP! This is crazy, I can't believe how many people are signing up. I was a bit hesitant trying to do this, but it looks like this will be awesome.

Do we want to split into two pools, one villains and the other heroes, then have the winners/corresponding ranks of each face off, or is that too much?
I'm tempted to say no to the whole "vs." thing, if only because I fear it would simply turn into a "can he be beaten by x or y, and can I beat him"-thing?

I assume your primary method of deciding a winner had little or nothing to do with the hero/villain's abilities or powers?
Dervon

Unread postby ewuvi » December 12th, 2009, 1:10 pm

No, it would be based on writing quality.
ewuvi

Unread postby Dervon » December 12th, 2009, 1:19 pm

No, it would be based on writing quality.
Well hey-o, in that case full steam ahead! :D
Dervon

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 12th, 2009, 1:20 pm

What's the setting?

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby ewuvi » December 13th, 2009, 4:51 pm

So, it looks like Dervon likely won't be able to participate. Which is sad. I am crying.

Setting is anything you can think of, so long as it isn't in some pre-existing fictional world (wow that sounds weird) so something like Washington D.C would work, whereas Gotham or Fire Country would not.

Deadline? Some time in February I'm thinking, but I'm totally up for suggestions.

We'll just do the initial writing thing. If we want to do more later, we can.

Also, Mr.Rigger, is your avatar from Brutal Legend?
ewuvi

Unread postby Kirai » December 13th, 2009, 5:27 pm

February sounds fine to me, and yes that avatar is the main character from Bütal Legend.

Also what do you mean with initial writing? And again the question if it's super heros or just protagonists?
Kirai

Unread postby ewuvi » December 13th, 2009, 5:44 pm

A hero. No powers are necessary, but they need to fight crime or the forces of evil or some such.

And you can write either a hero or a villain. So yeah.

Word count should be over 500. No upper limit, although I wouldn't make it too huge or people may not read it all.
ewuvi

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 13th, 2009, 5:54 pm

What about a team, is that permissible?
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Dervon » December 13th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Hey hey, I'm not out! :D Like I said, Winter Break is my last window 'till Easter, so I'm sure I can bang something out in that time! :D
Dervon

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop