Expectations of Development [Naruto]

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Re: Expectations of Development [Naruto]

Unread postby Kirai » May 27th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Well, the first draft of chapter 10 is done.

I'm not so sure on some scenes though. Mostly the ones with Hiashi.

Also I hope the fights are decent enough. I always worry that I'm not doing a good job with them. Even if I think they are interresting.

Well, here it is:
Spoiler: show
Expectations of Development

--o--

Three Cuts

--o--

Confidently Sakura strode into the stadium. Naruto followed her excitedly, looking left and right at all the people who had already found a place to watch the fights.

Sasuke wore his usual bored expression. But he couldn't hide his own excitement from his teammates. His eyes moved rapidly in an attempt to take in everything, just like Naruto.

Sakura could also see the faintest smirk on his lips.

“Sakura!” Ino screamed as she tackled Sakura in a bone-crushing hug. “This is soo awesome! And you are going to fight down there!” Sakura squeaked weakly in response. But Ino had already moved on to give Sasuke a hug and a kiss.

The fact that the boy only put up the token resigned resistance spoke volumes about Ino's and Sakura's headway. Curiously Sakura didn't feel jealous, much.

After the kiss and Sasuke's muttered reply Ino moved on to Naruto and hugged him as well. No kiss though. “Heh, good luck to you too Naruto. You'll need it against Shikamaru.” She teased the boy.

“Oi! Me, need luck against Shikamaru?” Naruto snorted. “I'll just tell him to give up and he will. He's too lazy to do otherwise.”

“Wish I could do that.” Shikamaru sighed. “But Ino has threatened me with... well sufficient to say she threatened me. And I have no intention of loosing.”

Naruto gaped at him, then at Ino. “What? What can you threaten him with Ino?” He asked carefully.

Ino grinned. “Moving in with him.”

A collective shudder ran through the boys Sakura noticed. So, they had no problem cuddling, but the second it came to any sort of commitment they started shaking like babies. Typical.

“Come on Ino, if the boys don't want our presence.” She sniffed and led a giggling Ino away.

As soon as she felt sure the boys couldn't hear her anymore she broke out in giggles herself.

“Fear the almighty girls. If you don't do what we want we will move in with you! And we will take over your entire life.”

Ino broke out into open laughter. “Hehehe, yeah. Though I suppose we shouldn't complain about it... and well, we are only 12, it's to be expected that the boys are still in their girl are icky phase. We do mature faster after all.”

Sakura nodded sagely. “That's true. Oh hey Tenten!” Sakura blinked as she saw the girl from team Gai move through the ranks of spectators. She would go up against Gaara wouldn't she? A shudder ran over Sakura's back.

“Oh, hello you two.” Tenten smiled at them.

Sakura dragged Ino over to the girl. “Tenten, you are going up against Gaara aren't you?” Sakura asked, just to make sure.

Tenten blinked in confusion. “Yeah. Something wrong with that?”

Ino shuddered and looked at her in sympathy. “Ohh, I wouldn't want to go up against him. We watched him in action in the forest of dead.” She shuddered again.

Sakura whirled around, away from Tenten and took hold of Ino's shoulder. “You saw him in action! Why didn't you tell me!” Sakura barely managed to keep her voice below shouting. Frantically she looked around, then dragged Ino and Tenten into a corridor inside the stadium.

“We have to fight in a few minutes... well you have to fight in a few minutes.” Tenten said, glaring at Sakura, as she ripped her arm out of Sakura's grasp.

“Whatever, this is important and we still do have over ten minutes. Now, do you want some info on Gaara's fighting style or not?” She looked at Tenten challengingly.

Tenten looked back for a second, then looked at Ino. “She's right, what can you tell us?”

Ino took a deep breath, then looked at her friend and Tenten. “Well... if you face him... you should give up. That's the only advice I can give you.” She looked at the ground.

“What?” Tenten shouted angrily. “Just because you aren't strong enough to fight him...”

“No, she's right. The best thing to do is give up when facing Gaara. There's only...” Sakura stopped herself. “No, there's nobody in this tournament who could beat him.”

After all, Tenten didn't know Naruto and in any case, unless they were teammates Naruto should tell people himself.

“What?” Tenten stared at Sakura in shock. “What do you mean? Why should I give up?”

Sakura took a deep breath. Would they believe her?

“Because he's a demon.” Another voice spoke up smugly.

Sakura snorted, what timing. “No, he isn't.” She countered Temari and turned around to face the new girl.

“Oh, and what would you know? You haven't worked alongside him and you haven't seen him kill. I did.” Temari sneered at the girl. “Oh, I also saw that Hyuuga fight. He won't fall for your cheap tricks. I'll enjoy watching him beat you into the ground.”

Sakura rolled her eyes. Trash-talk much? “Ohh, I suppose that means I'll have to bring out my expensive tricks then.” Ok, she would have to work on the trash talking a bit. That had been awful.

Temari smirked. “Well, if you hadn't wasted all your money on hair care products you might have some left for your tricks.”

Tenten and Ino watched the verbal match with rapt attention Sakura noticed as she glared at Temari. She hadn't spend much money on hair care products thank you very much. She still had enough, since she bought them in bulk. They were cheaper that way and she needed the money for the poison ingredients.

“Oh please, it's not as if Shampoos are expensive. At least I use some. That straw you call hair isn't exactly flattering you know? And I think I can smell it from over there.” Sakura countered.

Temari smirked nastily. “Oh? Well I suppose if I took an hour everyday in the bath, instead of training, I might have soft pretty hair as well.”

Sakura could feel the twitch, but Temari hadn't beaten her yet. “Oh? That's what you think? No wonder you suck so much. I spend only 5 minutes a day in front of a mirror. And those five minutes? Chakra training. It's so much faster when you can simply clean and strengthen your hair with the application of a little bit of chakra eh? Of course, you need to be good at using it first.

“All those little strands of hair, you have to do it individually. Can you do that? Oh wait, judging by your hair you can't!”

Now Temari's eyes twitched as she glared at Sakura. “Hmpf, you win this round bitch.” She muttered, turned around and walked away.

“I wont he first and second round as well! What's that? It's three to zero for me?” She shouted after the retreating girl.

When she turned around she saw Ino and Tenten gaping at her in open wonder.

“You... you really only spend 5 minutes on that hair?” Tenten asked in awe.

Ino nodded eagerly. “Yeah, that's, that's just amazing! I need at least half an hour for mine. Even if I do hurry.

Sakura blushed and laughed uneasily. “Err, not until today... but, you know that would be an awesome way to train your chakra control...”

The girls considered it for a few seconds. “So.” Tenten said finally. “We start training like that immediately?” She looked at the other girls who nodded eagerly. Sakura would have to thank Temari for giving her the idea... if she hadn't already handed it to Temari as well.

So, no thanks necessary after all. But, they still had to talk about Gaara.

“Tenten, you really should give up. Gaara might not be a demon, but he has one sealed inside of him.” She looked at the girl.

Ino nodded, her face a mask of fear. “Yeah, he'll kill you given half a chance. When we saw him... he used sand to catch his opponents... and then he, he squashed them. He crushed them in a coffin of sand... he made it rain blood!” Ino looked green. “Gave me some nightmares.”

Sakura glanced at her. She hadn't mentioned those to Sakura, not that she had to.

Tenten looked at Sakura. “Would you give up against Neji? You know he'll beat you.”

Sakura shrugged. “Maybe, maybe not. But that isn't the point. The point is, Neji will beat me, sure. Well, he might beat me. But he won't kill me! From what Ino and Temari said, Gaara will.”

Tenten looked at her silently for a minute then shook her head. “I'll still fight. I can't just give up. Would you give up if you had to face Gaara?”

Ino looked at her, then at Sakura and laughed. “I would give up, but then I'm not stupid enough to pass as a male.”

Sakura glared at Ino and sighed. “Good point. Well then. Do your best, and try to survive ok? I kinda do like you.”

Tenten snorted. “Same to you, try not to piss Neji off too much, he isn't the most patient man around.”

Sakura nodded. “Thanks for the warning. I might have to ignore it though.”

Tenten turned towards the exit. “Eh, I'm ignoring your warning as well, so fair's fair I suppose. Now come on. We don't want to be late.”

--o--

After the introduction of the fighters only Sakura and Neji remained in the arena.

Sakura looked at the referee. He had a toothpick in his mouth and looked just a bit too pretty. Not that she minded. She looked at Neji, if he ever stopped frowning he might look pretty too.

Better not tell him that tho, she didn't need to piss him off, at least not yet.

“You should give up.” Neji said suddenly.

Oh, but he wanted to piss her off, figures.

“You cheap tricks won't work against me.” He sneered at her.

Sakura looked over her shoulder, to where she knew Temari watched the fight.

Temari looked back, a smug smile on her lips. Bitch.

She sighed as she looked back at Neji. “And you think just because you tell me to I'll give up?” She shook her head. “Besides I don't need cheap tricks to beat you. You are a close range fighter. I'm long range. Does that tell you anything? You can't beat me. Unless you manage to come close. And if you think I'll let you...” She smirked at him.

Neji didn't raise to the bait. “You are a looser. Just like Naruto, Hinata and Lee. The fact that you came this far just means that your opponents were even bigger losers than you.”

Sakura once again turned to Temari and gave her a smug smile.

The glare she received in return was well worth the insult by Neji. “Thanks I suppose. But I thought my cheap tricks wouldn't work on you. Isn't underestimating me the first step to them working?”

One of Neji's eyes twitched slightly. “I'm well aware of your strengths. But genjutsu won't work on me, and that would be your only hope of beating me.”

Sakura nodded slowly. He hadn't bothered to research her training. And he lying didn't fit into his character. He and Sasuke were made of the same material. Bluntness only surpassed by Naruto.

“Are you two ready? Or do you want to trash talk a bit more?” The referee asked them with a raised eyebrow.

Sakura looked around the ranks of spectators. While she could see some amusement, impatience did seem to creep into them.

“I'm done, but maybe Neji will want to praise his own skills some more?” She looked at the boy, an eyebrow raised in challenge.

He sneered back. “I'm ready as well. Let's get this over with. I want to finish this fast.”

The referee nodded and shouted. “Then... Begin!” He jumped back almost immediately.

Sakura did as well. She also pulled out some kunai and threw them at the rapidly advancing Neji, but he dodged them effortlessly.

She smirked, if she hadn't grown used to having her projectiles dodged like that she might have worried slightly now. Instead she tugged on the wires slightly, intersecting them.

Neji hadn't lost his sneer, even then. He simply hopped over them. Rolled over his shoulder and came up against the same wires again.

His eyes widened in shock and he jumped again. His foot barely managed to avoid being snared by Sakura.

She meanwhile widened the distance again, while her wire-play forced Neji to mime a frog, jumping over the twisting wires again and again.

“What's the matter Neji? I thought you wanted to end this fast? Instead you are playing jump rope like a little girl!” Sakura shouted at him.

Of course, she could move the wires much faster than he could his entire body. Ahh she loved her wires. If the sound bitch were still alive she would have thanked her for the awesome weapon.

Neji glared angrily at her and suddenly his hands blurred and her wires grew slack. But before his chakra could reach her and potentially disrupt her own chakra control she cut the connection along the wire.

“Aww, that's unfair!” She shouted. “Do I break your toys?”

She sighed, as he righted himself again. Sure he his clothes had become a bit dusty from the jumping and rolling he did. But he hadn't even become winded.

“If you think little games like that are going to beat me...” He sneered, again.

“You know, when your father warned you that if you didn't stop sneering like that it would stick? He was serious.” Sakura shouted over at him.

Her eyes widened as he screamed in rage and charged her again.

At least the sneer had disappeared. She threw two more kunai, even as she retreated rapidly.

Neji ignored them, seeing as they missed him by a good 20 centimeters on each side.

Sakura winced, she had misjudged that throw a bit. Neji moved just a bit faster than expected.

“You'll pay for that!” He shouted, just before the twin explosions behind him threw him to the ground.

Sakura smirked as his face took the brunt of the impact. Man, that had to hurt.

“You know? I never believed Kakashi when he said that angry opponents make mistakes, but it appears he was right.” She said conversationally, watching Neji slowly push himself up.

He glared at her, but it didn't appear that he had been damaged much, if at all.

Damn. If she had taken that explosion like him... well, she wouldn't have been damaged that badly either, but still. It would have shaken her somewhat at least.

Neji took a deep breath. “I see I misjudged you.” He didn't glare at her anymore, and he didn't sneer either. “You... you are actually somewhat competent.” He grudgingly admitted. “It would appear, that I have to take you serious.”

Sakura raised an eyebrow, he hadn't taken her serious up till now? Uh oh... now she would definitely loose! Yeah right.

Still, while she had scored the first blows, she should have made them count for more. She had rattled him sure, but now he would be more cautious.

She grinned at him. Not that she couldn't use that as well.

They circled each other, Neji keeping his distance from her. Watching for a hole in her defense he could exploit. Sakura for her part looked for a way to force him into an attack, she needed him distracted if she wanted to have a chance of scratching him.

They remained silent for a few minutes, simply watching the other. Finally Neji sighed in resignation.

“One of us will have to attack.” He said, clearly expecting her to be the one.

“Hmm? I enjoy leading you in circles. There's no point for me in attack you at the moment.” Sakura replied.

She didn't feel like wasting ammo. And at this range he would be able to avoid anything she threw at him easily.

“Maybe I'll insult your father some more, it worked last time.” She goaded him, but Neji simply rolled his eyes.

“It worked because you didn't know the effect it would have on me. That advantage is gone now. It won't work again.”

Sakura nodded slowly. She didn't think it would. While Neji might have a temper problem, he wouldn't fall for something that transparent. Sadly.

She glanced at the audience, who apparently started to get impatient , what with the lack of action.

She sighed. If this had been out in the field, she wouldn't have minded probing the enemy out some more, but they had to give a good show if they wanted to make chunin. And Sakura needed that money, all the equipment she needed was hellishly expensive.

“Fine, fine. I'll go first.” She muttered, pulling out six kunai.

She could see Neji tense up, as he prepared to rush her. She glanced at her teammates, barely even seeing him anymore. It was all the signal he needed as he rushed her again. Twice as fast as before.

She grinned weakly, just as expected. She flung her first two kunai. Again, they wouldn't have forced him to change direction, however he didn't want to risk a repeat performance and decided to avoid them. It slowed his approach considerable, but jumping backwards still slowed Sakura down more than her kunai slowed him.

She flung the other two and again he avoided them. He had closed almost half the distance by now.

Sakura frowned annoyed. And flung her last kunai.

This time his eyes widened and he jumped into a desperate lunge, that saved him easily from the explosion on his right. But it hadn't even slowed him down any. He grinned confidently at Sakura.

Sakura for her part turned around and pelted off, even if he actually managed to run faster, he would catch up slower this way. And if she could keep him occupied for just a little bit longer...

“Running away won't safe you, once I got you it's” He stopped abruptly, Sakura couldn't see his eyes widen, but she bet they did, after all even he would feel the explosion from five explosive seals, if they surrounded him on all sides.

She twisted, just in time to see him stop. Her kunai moved a little bit more, but she quickly stopped their movement.

She smirked at him. “As you said, running won't safe you. I can ignite them faster than you can run.”

Neji glared at her wordlessly. But... he didn't seem beaten.

She narrowed her eyes at him. “Give up now and I won't have to blow you up.” She said.

He snorted. “Do your worst Haruno. While this is an interesting little trap, if this is the extent of your abilities... well, then this is already over.”

Sakura glanced quickly at the referee, who shrugged. Neji curiously hadn't moved at all, not even an attempt. The bastard planned something.

Well, they wouldn't get anywhere if she didn't blow him up, she would just make sure to get some distance while he burned.

And with a roar the tags exploded as one, incinerating the area Neji had stood seconds before.

Even as she jumped away Sakura winced. That had to hurt. Hopefully there would be enough left of him to return to active duty... or at least survive.

Though... where did that...

She stared in shock at the ball of chakra, that blew away the smoke of the explosion. Slowly the chakra receded, revealing an unharmed Neji.

He stopped spinning and looked at her, a superior smirk firmly planted on his lips.

“As I said, if that is the extend of your abilities... this is over. I have Kaiten, the ultimate defense.”

He seemed to say it not to her though, but at... she followed his gaze and saw that he talked to another Hyuga, who sat in the stands.

Sakura looked back at him. Well, didn't this just turn out to be freaking great? Her opponent had a defense that she could... she glanced at him again. And smirked. Sure, he hadn't been touched, but his little defense had cost him at least a little stamina. She could actually see him breathing now.

“Oh, are you so sure? From here it looks as if you just turned yourself into a fancy spinning top.” She taunted back.

Were there any other drawbacks to the technique? She would have to see it again, preferably without the debris of an explosion between them.

He rolled his eyes, not impressed at all by the quality of her insult. “Is that truly the extend of your creativity? Even children can come up with better insults.”

Sakura kept quite, she had other things on her mind than insulting him.

She took a deep breath. This would get really complicated, really fast. Best to make it fast.

A bit of chakra released the wires with the kunai from her hands, as soon as she reached into her halfter she used more chakra to bind a new set onto them. The gloves she wore prevented the wire from cutting into her flesh.

In each hand she held five kunai, ten in total, the maximum she could control at the same time.

Neji rolled his eyes in contempt. “You should stop while you are ahead, there's no way you can control that many wires, and even if you could. It would be useless.”

Sakura laughed roughly. He talked and talked about not him not underestimating her and here he went and did it again. She blinked and as soon as she opened her eyes again she could see him rushing towards her.

But she had no problems with that, the closer he came the better for her. She wanted to see his technique close up after all.

Still, she flung her kunai almost immediately and started to circle away from him. The wires trailing behind her kunai could clearly be seen by him, unlike the genjutsu in the previous ones. If he had actually paid attention, he might have noticed those anyway. But he hadn't then, he wouldn't repeat the mistake Sakura felt rather sure of that.

He closed rapidly again, but her wires were much faster than him and with a quick pull half of them homed in on his back.

Another pull send the others directly back to Sakura.

She had the satisfaction to see his eyes widen in shock, as he jumped to the side barely avoiding the incoming projectiles. But instead of stopping they pursued him further, driving him into a circle.

Sakura hastily dropped one wire, reducing the number of pursuing ones to four. It had almost crossed another and she didn't have the concentration to spare in picking it up again.

The Neji meanwhile found himself face to face with five more kunai, arrayed in a just so, he could dodge them, but with her reflexes one would hit him.

And once he had been hit...

He stopped, spending just enough time to send a heated glare at her, before she send the kunai at him. And again he spun into the kaiten. Her kunai were deflected rather violently, but she had counted on it and didn't bother moving them again.

Instead she stared at Neji, observing every little detail she could. There had to be a weakness, there just had to be...

He stopped only five seconds after he started to spin, obviously conserving chakra, and slowly he came to a stop, standing elegantly, his arms spread eagle. Another sneer on his face.

“I already told you, it's useless. Your knifes will never penetrate my Kaiten.”

Finally he looked her in the eyes, probably expecting a defeated expression.

He probably hadn't expected Sakura to be laughing herself almost to death.

“Bwahahaha!” She moved her hands into her kunai pouch quickly. She only had twenty more kunai, only ten more with wires, but it should be enough.

“If that's what you call an ultimate defense, I wonder how the Hyuga are know as the strongest of the leaf!” She shouted at him, quickly flinging kunai after kunai at him, she couldn't give him the time to recover, not as long as there was the slightest chance of him managing to close the distance.

He glared impotently, but he didn't even bother trying to run, instead he spun into another Kaiten.

But instead of letting her knifes hit him again, she stopped just short of the circle, waiting, smiling.

She couldn't see it of course, but she could imagine his panicked expression right about now.

As soon as he stopped to spin, he would be perforated, if he didn't stop spinning, he would run out of chakra. She had him well and truly trapped.

But, just in case... she shifter her foot slightly, just enough to touch one of her discarded wires.

She stared at Neji, or better the wall of chakra he still expelled. Sweat ran down her face, she concentrated on twelve things simultaneously, one of which gave her a headache with the weird pulsating motion Neji gave the... no, the wall of chakra expanded!

She forced her kunai back sharply, but only one actually followed her motions fast enough, the others were hit by Neji's chakra and thrown away, her control of them ruined. Desperately she forced her chakra into five wires again, sending her last kunai after Neji.

He hadn't even waited to stop spinning, instead he had immediately broken into a sprint for her. Luckily his prolonged use of kaiten had left him both weaker and slightly confused.

Confused enough to slow him down considerably, he also couldn't avoid her kunai. He did manage to move just enough to take it in the back, where it wouldn't hinder him too much.

Sakura had only regained control of three more kunai, one of which had been blow so far away, she immediately gave it up for lost, the other two however would still serve their purpose.

Neji had crossed over half the distance between him and her already as she grabbed another handful of kunai and flung them at him, he grimaced as he shoved his hands forward to deflect them, twisting slightly to receive her other two in a somewhat harmless position on his back.

Not that they had enough force to really hurt him anyway.

The he blocked ripped his arms up, grinning tiredly at her as he caught the kunai in front of him and reared his arm back, to throw them at her.

Until he stopped, moving along one second he had somehow managed to stop at the last second.

Sakura breathed a sigh of relieve as she watched him standing there a kunai sticking ever so slightly in his throat.

She had forced it up, the moment his hands had move to intercept her kunai.

He had been a good meter away from it then, five from her.

If she hadn't moved it back with him... he would have impaled himself on it... and she would have to add another kill to her list.

“I win!” She shouted to the referee. The blood rushing through her ears so loudly she couldn't be sure if he agreed or not.

But Neji nodded slowly, as pulled back and held a hand to his throat.

He coughed weakly, and winced, rubbing it slightly. “She does... if she had wanted to... I would be dead now.” She could see him shaking there, just like her.

“Winner: Haruno Sakura!” The referee shouted and finally Sakura collapsed.

She hadn't even noticed how drained she felt. Breathing heavily she watched the sky. At least this time she hadn't gambled her own health away, not like last time.

Something heavy fell down beside her.

“I... I was careless.” Neji muttered, a hand still at his throat.

Sakura nodded, soaking up the noise the exited crowd made.

“If... if I had... damn, I can't think of anything to win this one...” Neji shook his head.

“All you would have to do, is outlast me. I already was on my last leg. Moving those wires... keeping them in the air... I didn't notice then, but... I've got barely any chakra left.” Sakura shook her head.

Neji nodded slowly. “You assume I have anything left. The kaiten uses far more chakra than you might think... and I had to think up the last part.” He shook his head. “If I had thought about it before the match. I would have reacted faster. I would have... heh, I wouldn't have wasted time in the kaiten thinking up ways to beat this.”

He pushed himself up. “Well fought Haruno. Maybe I've been mistaken about you.”

Sakura snorted. “Maybe? I won.”

He rolled his eyes. “That doesn't mean much. As I said, if I had prepared better...”

Sakura rolled her eyes. “And if I had been willing to reveal my trump-card already it wouldn't have gotten to this point in the first place.”

Neji stopped walking away from her and turned around, just in time to see her push herself up. “Trump-card?” He asked, eyebrow raised.

“If I told you, it wouldn't be much of a trump would it?” She responded.

He nodded slowly and made his way out of the arena.

Sakura grinned at the people cheering for her and waved back a bit, before she also made her way out. She needed to rest a bit before her next match. Even if she hadn't been hit once.

Luckily she didn't push herself into chakra exhaustion, but still, she needed as much time as possible to recover.

--o--

Tenten stared at him as he walked slowly up to her.

Really, he got why she stared, but he couldn't resist rolling his eyes. “What?” He asked her.

“You lost.” She muttered unbelieving.

“I did.” He replied. He still didn't understand why it didn't bother him more. Probably simply the fact that the fight had been stacked against him from the beginning.

“How?” She asked, barely able to grasp that he could loose.

Lee didn't look much better.

“Simple, she knew I would be her opponent, she designed her fighting style to counter mine. Long range against short range, usually the advantage lies in long range.” He shrugged, seemed simple enough.

“But I never beat you!” Tenten nearly shouted at him. He sighed.

“Yes, but you never really tried to beat me either. You helped me train against long range opponents, true. But you never tried to beat me. And even if you did, your fighting style isn't suited to beat mine... at least not without some modification.”

Tenten looked as is would start to cry at any second.

“But... she couldn't have started training seriously until a month ago! How could she improve that much so shortly?”

Lee nodded seriously.

Gai, Neji noticed kept quite.

“She didn't, not really.” He responded. “From what I gathered she always had excellent chakra control. From there it's only a matter of mental flexibility. Not even intellect as such, just the ability to split her attention up.” Neji looked at Haruno and his expression darkened as he spotted Hiashi talk to her. He quickly turned away.

“Though I must admit... controlling all she did... impressive, very impressive.”

Lee sighed. “That she would beat you before me...”

Neji didn't look at him, but maybe, just maybe he would be able to pawn Lee of on her. Would serve her right for beating him.

“Well, since she is obviously better than me, she's your new rival then?” He asked his teammate.

Lee's head whipped around and stared at him in confusion. “But... but... Sakura-chan... I...”

Well, whether Lee decided to make Sakura his new rival or not, the stupid look on his face alone would have been worth it.

--o--

Sakura made her way up the stairs. On her way she met Naruto and Shikamaru.

“Heh, good luck you two.” She told them. Though she held Naruto up. “Go all out at the beginning, don't give him time to think.” She whispered in his ear.

Naruto looked at her confused, but nodded. Sakura herself didn't feel so sure about fighting Naruto the next round, but Shikamaru might actually be worse.

Especially considering that she only managed to recover half her kunai and wires.

“That was an impressive fight.” A hard, cultured voice said behind her.

Slowly she turned around and found herself gazing in the eyes of another Hyuga. An older one.

“It was pretty exiting yes.” She muttered as she held his gaze. Or tried to. Looking into those eyes turned out to be pretty unnerving.

She could see the faintest smile on his lips.

“Do you mind following me?” He asked mildly.

She looked over to Kakashi, where he stood beside Sasuke, he just shrugged.

“Well, I don't think you're the type to lure defenseless girls into dark places, to have your way with them, so why not.” She indicated for him to lead the way.

He drew back affronted, but Sakura couldn't be sure she didn't see a small smile play on his lips.

As they walked he talked again.

“You remind me of somebody, from my youth.”

Sakura repressed the crack about dinosaurs and the like. He might have found it funny.

“I do?” She asked instead.

“Yes, well. From my time as an active Ninja. She... was quite the character.” He smiled ever so slightly.

“Oh? What was she like?”

“Cheerfully sadistic, a bit disconcerting for somebody so young. But considering who she worked for before... she was quite well adjusted.” Hiashi seemed to walk down memory lane.

“Huh... you worked with Anko-sensei?” Sakura joked.

Hiashi stopped still, not counting the trembling.

“Uhh... something wrong?” She poked him carefully.

After a few second the trembling stopped and he shook his head. “No, I was just... surprised.” He muttered. “Though what's even more surprising is the fact that Neji still stands. Anko wouldn't have let him walk out of there.”

Sakura felt her eyes widen Hiashi had actually worked with Anko. Woah, she would have to ask Anko about that.

“Eh, I might have to face more people, it wouldn't be smart to reveal all my skills so soon.” Sakura replied.

Hiashi nodded slowly. “I see.”

Looking around Sakura noticed that they were alone, somewhere in the bowels of the stadium.

Not that she couldn't scream for help, she could still see the entrance through which they entered.

“What I wanted to talk to you about though... is the fact that you beat the kaiten.” He glared down at her.

Sakura rolled her eyes. If that was the best intimidation he could pull off, she wondered how he kept his clan in line. Sure, his eyes kinda bothered her. But besides that? Anko could be much scarier, especially if she carried glistening knifes. She shuddered just remembering.

“I see you are aware of your situation.” Hiashi said haughtily.

Sakura glared at him. “I'm not scared of you. I just remembered Anko's training methods.”

She shuddered again. He did too she noticed.

“Ah... yes, I suppose that would be worse than me.”

Sakura rolled her eyes. “And that isn't even taking into account that I didn't beat the kaiten. At least I don't think I did. It's some kind of secret Hyuga technique if it has a name.” She grinned at him and he nodded gravely.

“Then I can expect a thank you from you?” She asked, quite boldly. But asking him meekly for forgiveness... it wouldn't have sat well with her.

He raised an eyebrow. “Thank you? For beating our most prized technique?”

Sakura nodded. “Well, I can see there being two possibilities. Either there is such a hole in the technique, a hole I found after only seeing it twice. Which would make the technique pretty useless, until the hole is fixed. And if the hole still existed then you needed to be told about it. So a thank you is required for bringing this to your attention.”

She looked curiously at him, but his face gave nothing away, so she continued.

“Or, which I find much more likely, especially seeing how Neji nearly beat my hold on him. You have fixed that hole already and I only won because I went up against somebody who didn't have the experience to use the kaiten to it's maximum potential. In which case I gave those watching a false impression of the capabilities of the Hyuga clan. Also worth a thank you, since it would make people underestimate you.”

Yeah, he definitely grinned there.

“I see. But they would also consider the Hyuga weak, impinging directly on our status.” The grin had disappeared again, but she didn't worry about it. He was just testing her.

“Eh, the loss of status after one fight between genin is negligible as is the advantage I suppose. So... nothing happens?” She frowned at him, why would he separate her from the crowd for something like that? It shouldn't matter one way or the other to him.

“That... is true I suppose.” He looked at the walls. Cheering could be heard from outside.

“So... what is this actually about?” Sakura asked herself loudly.

“Hmm? What do you mean?” Hiashi asked back. The asshole clearly enjoyed himself. Making her guess.

“It's not about the fight. So it has to be something else, something I'm involved in, or at least can influence.” She looked at him, for any sort of hint, but he kept his face carefully blank, a seasoned politician.

What did she do that mattered to the Hyuga clan? She thought back, the only interaction with any clan member had been... Hinata... who she set up with... Naruto....

“Uhh... well I would think getting some measure of control over the local... well you know.” She looked around carefully. “Would please the clan.”

Hiashi's eyes had widened at her words. Good to know you could faze the asshole.

“You know?” He muttered in shock.

“We are teammates.” She shrugged, no need to admit to anything.

“Does Hinata know?” He asked, looking at her sharply.

“Huh? Hinata... no he didn't tell her yet. Uhh you know I might have to make him tell her...” Damn, Hinata would need to know. And she better....

“Ah a pity, but I'm sure it will work out.” He murmured.

Now it was Sakura's turn to stare at him in shock.

“Hmm? You are right of course. Gaining a measure of control over Uzumaki would please the clan.” He paused for a second. “It also should keep the compound save from any pranks he would try to employ against it.”

“Hey, he didn't pull any since he became a ninja.” Sakura defended her teammate.

Hiashi nodded, once again in full control of himself. Sakura thought she heard a “Pity” there, but she had to have imagined it.

“I see. Well, I simply wanted to congratulate you on bringing them together.”

Sakura looked at him weirdly. The hell?

“If this works out... well I imagine that with a Hokage as a husband Hinata will become quite powerful in the clan.” Hiashi added.

Now Sakura stood there completely flabbergasted. “Huh? Hokage? I mean yeah, Naruto's strong, but he's not exactly Hokage material.”

Hiashi smirked at her. “That's what they said about...” He stopped himself and smiled at her. “But that's another secret I'm not at liberty to discuss.”

Sakura could feel her eye twitch. The bastard played with her! And she could do nothing!

“In any case, if it all works out, and you brought them together. Well, I'm sure the clan will make a powerful ally to your and whatever goals you might have.” He waved to the arena. “Though I'm sure you want to see how your teammate is doing. He's up against a Nara... brains versus brawl I believe?”

Sakura glared at him, standing there smiling smugly as if he knew everything.

“You Hyuga are all arrogant bastards aren't you?” She growled.

He merely raised an eyebrow, the smile didn't move an inch.

“Bah, fine! But be careful, maybe I'll remind Anko of your time together.” She shouted over her shoulder as she stalked off.”

--o--

Hiashi shuddered, as Haruno shouted her threat. If she knew how much he actually feared that happening...

Anko hadn't been the scariest thing that ever happened to him, that would have been Hinata's kidnapping. Neither had she left the most painful experience. His wife's dead kept the top position on that place quite firmly. Right before his brother's dead.

But Anko did come a distant third. Her and her damned poisons...

Maybe he should get her to have some fun with Neji... or her student... Neji did so need to learn to relax on occasion.

He smirked nastily. Really life in the Hyuga clan could grind the strongest man or woman to dust, if they didn't find a release.

As he strode into daylight again and looked at Hinata, watching her crush... or was that boyfriend already? Fight... maybe she had found her release, all he could do was hope.

He had done what the clan expected of him. Driven her, tried to make her stronger. But sadly... he lacked the necessary skills, to take away her fears. She had been too gentle to respond well to his teachings.

As expected Kurenai did a better job of it. But... he sighed. No use thinking about what if's. Hinata had a chance to be happy. Hopefully she would be able to become stronger as well.

Outside the pressure of the clan... she might even have a chance.

Maybe if she became a member of the branch family, without the massive expectations?

He shook his head, he still had time. No need to decide yet. He still had a few years to make that decision. And if he had any say in the matter he might never have to make it.

There had been another reason he wanted Hinata to have a wedding outside the clan after all.

And with Minato's brat... well, certain allowances could be made from the old men. He felt pretty confident of that.

--o--

Naruto grinned at Shikamaru, who stood a few feet away form him.

“How about you just give up now and spare both of us the bother?” He asked the boy. Naruto knew him well enough to realize Shikamaru wouldn't actually want to fight.

“I wish I could, I really do.” Shikamaru sighed. “But Ino doesn't bluff, and she threatened me with moving in. Sorry, but I just can't risk that.”

Naruto glared at the boy for a second. To have a girl offer to move in with you.

Then he thought back to a day ago and Hinata. Ok, so maybe he didn't feel too jealous anymore. And hey, if Shikamaru wanted to be alone? Whatever, Naruto couldn't understand it, but it wasn't any of his business right?

“So you two are ready?” The referee asked them.

Both boys nodded. Naruto eagerly, Shikamaru resigned.

“Then: Begin!”

As soon as the word had left the man's mouth Naruto's hands formed the familiar seals and a second later over twenty shadowclones appeared.

They immediately charged Shikamaru, who instead of retreating, like he should have done, charged them head on.

All the Naruto's gaped for a second as the other boy tore into them, kunai whirling wildly, almost erratically. But they did their job reducing any clones in Shikamaru's way to a white cloud and a second later he stood in front of Naruto, his shadow snapping forward in an attempt to ensnare Naruto.

Naruto flinched as the shadow made contact with his own and Shikamaru gained control.

Naruto still stood there utterly flabbergasted. “Huh? What happened?” He asked dumbly.

Shikamaru smirked. “I won.” Though the smirk left his face as soon as it had appeared.

Two shadowclones held kunai to his throat. “Are you so sure of that?” They asked easily.

“Eh, I suppose this would have been too easy after all.”

Naruto could hear the crowd go wild. The battle had barely started and they had already managed an apparently decisive attack and counterattack.

Shortest match ever it seemed.

Of course, then Shikamaru's shadow caught his clones and forced their hands away form his throat.

“Well, then. Since I still have you at my mercy...” Shikamaru smirked.

Naruto grinned back, oh? He thought so did he?

“You are missing over half of my clones, you are aware of that aren't you?” He asked lightly.

Shikamaru's left eye twitched, as he let go of Naruto and just barely avoided the kunai a clone had flung at him.

Naruto couldn't stop grinning. Shikamaru had no way to beat him. Even if he did manage to trap him in his shadow. Naruto's clones would just free him again.

Easily the best first opponent he could have had.

He created some more clones and send them against the frantically dodging Shikamaru. He lost most of them in seconds, but he could just send in another wave.

Naruto calmly watched Shikamaru dance through his clones. Had he always been this fast? Even with clone after clone punching and kicking at him, he managed to avoid the worst of the damage, while Naruto's clones disappeared left and right.

Shikamaru actually managed to create a cloud of smoke, making it almost impossible to follow him.

If Naruto didn't need the clones to prevent Shikamaru from trapping him helplessly in his shadow, he would have dismissed them all already. But he couldn't do that, at least not without risking a loss.

He created another wave, but told them to spread out.

“Stay back!” He told the remnants of his previous wave, still engaged with in the cloud Shikamaru had created.

They jumped back almost as one, only 3 of twenty five had survived.

Slowly the smoke settled, revealing a heaving Shikamaru. Several bruises adorned his body and sweat ran down his face.

“You... can... keep... a... guy... running...” He panted at Naruto.

Naruto shrugged modestly. “Oh, they are just a few clones. Nothing special.” He smirked at the boy.

This battle would be over soon. And it would have been so easy.

“Hey Shika!” Ino shouted down to them. “I revise my statement. You can't win against him, just give us a good show!”

Naruto felt kinda bad for him, really he did. Even his teammates had given up on him. Well Ino had.

Shikamaru stared at her, before he shouted back. “So I can give up now and you won't...”

“Hell no, make sure it looks good!” She shouted back.

Naruto could see him twitch. “If it's any consolation, I won't beat you too badly.” Naruto said.

Shikamaru sighed pathetically. “Can't be helped I suppose.” And charged Naruto in a suicidal dash, totally ignoring his own safety.

Naruto stood his ground, instead he let his clones intercept Shikamaru. He frowned as the fists passed harmlessly through him, though only for a second, before he realized that it had just been a bunshin.

Sadly too late to prevent Shikamaru from taking control of the clones, all twenty of them, all arrayed around Naruto. He whimpered as he realized what Shikamaru planned.

And as the clones reared their arms back... he frantically tried to dispel them. Of course, Shikamaru also controlled him, with the clones he had more than enough shadows to work with after all...

Damn, bad idea using so many...

He closed his eyes, just a second before impact. Hopefully this wouldn't hurt too much.

A second later he came to again and damn had that hurt!

But his clones were gone and Shikamaru didn't look all that good either. The chakra to control his clones even for a few seconds must have been enormous. Especially for Shikamaru.

Naruto slowly pushed himself up. Somehow Shikamaru had managed to hit him almost everywhere.

And his entire body ached. But, he could still stand, and if he used the Kyuubi he would be good as new.

“Screw that!” Ino shouted again. “If you can do this to him you finish it! You hear me?”

Shikamaru glared back at her for a second, he still had managed to catch Naruto again. Forcing his hands apart again, to prevent him from calling more shadowclones.

Naruto frowned at him, slowly pushing against his control, drawing from his reserve of chakra.

And he grinned as he could see Shikamaru struggle against that control, a little bit more, and Naruto would break his hold.

With a gasp Shikamaru gave up and allowed Naruto to move again.

Naruto grinned at him. “So, you gonna give up? Or do you want to continue this? You're nearly done for anyway.”

Shikamaru sighed in annoyance and slowly shook his head. “You heard her... I'll have to try at the very least.” He grumbled.

Naruto laughed easily, at least this would be some fun. “Suit yourself.” He said, his hands forming the familiar seal once again.

And again 20 clones sprung up around him. He could have created more, but he didn't see the need to bother. It took too much chakra and even he could grow tired eventually, and twenty clones should be more than enough to beat an exhausted opponent.

He looked at Shikamaru again, who grinned back lazily... uh oh.

Suddenly the other boy accelerated again, all hints of fatigue gone, as if they had never existed.

“Yeah! Go Shika!” Ino shouted from above.

“You idiot! He faked you out!” Sakura shouted as well, angrily.

He growled, as he send his clones to intercept. He kept himself out of the way though, he wouldn't give Shikamaru a chance to pull the same trick twice.

He snorted as his clones once again punched through Shikamaru. Another bunshin, he quickly looked around, where had he hidden himself?

Naruto hadn't taken his eyes of for even a second, he had to move fast enough to disappear in the blink of an eye, so he had to use a replacement technique.

He glanced at the bunshin, or better what had remained behind, a startled bird...

He didn't want to look up now. But, if he wanted to retain any chance of victory he had to.

A falling Shikamaru greeted his eyes, an evil grin on his face the other boy bore down on him, Naruto glanced at the shadows on the ground, even the one Shikamaru cast didn't move, he couldn't control the shadows if he didn't have contact with them. Naruto grinned, he still had some time.

Suddenly a black mass stretched from Shikamaru, even faster than the boy fell and connected him to Naruto's shadow.

Immediately something slammed Naruto into the ground, hard. And it kept pushing for a few more seconds, painfully squeezing him into the ground. Until a pair of feet slammed into his stomach, forcing what little air remained out of his throat.

The same force pulled his hands up, and held them at Shikamaru's throat. His empty hands.

Shikamaru's held some very sharp kunai.

“I win.” The boy said simply.

Naruto stared at the kunai, then at Shikamaru.

“Give up.” The other boy glared at Naruto.

Naruto stared some more. With the Kyuubi he could recover from a slit throat...

“Winner: Nara Shikamaru!” The referee shouted quickly.

Naruto chuckled and pushed Shikamaru off of him.

“Yeah. That would have been foolish.” He grinned at the boy. “Congrats.” He held out a hand.

Shikamaru looked at it, before he shook it. His own hand trembled slightly and he rolled onto his back, staring at the clouds.

“You aren't even winded are you?” He asked resigned. “And... if this had been real... you wouldn't have given up.” Shikamaru stared at him and Naruto shrugged in embarrassment, Shika had him pegged.

“Damn, what's wrong with you Uzumaki?” His friend asked tiredly.

Naruto shrugged again, and picked him up. “Let's get out of here, we need to make room for the next fight.” he said easily.

“I can't even move anymore and you used so much more chakra than me!” Shikamaru muttered. “I'm totally drained, how the hell Uzumaki?”

“I'm a stamina freak.” Naruto said proudly. And he would keep it at that, at least for now.

“You're a freak alright.” Shikamaru glared. “If Ino hadn't pushed me so much I wouldn't have bothered at all.”

Naruto grinned back at him. Shikamaru hadn't even realized what his victory actually meant. In a way Naruto felt glad. Sakura wouldn't have held back against him like she had against Neji, she knew she would have to disable him as fast as possible.

“You should rest up.” He said, to which Shikamaru snorted. “Sakura's your next opponent after all.” Naruto added innocently.

The pained whimper he received in response more than made up for his loss.

--o--

“He won, pay up.” Ino grinned at Sakura, who looked quite chagrined at the prospect.

“Fine, I hereby release you from your week of servitude. You happy?” Sakura spat.

Ino nodded quickly a huge grin on her face. “Very.” She looked at him and gave him a thumbs up.

“Hey good luck Sasuke.” She skipped over to him and hugged him tightly.

He would have done something about it, but fighting only made them more determined... and it did feel nice. No reason to fight it then.

Sakura glared at Ino and removed her, before she hugged him as well.

He suppressed a sigh, it would have only pissed them off. And he didn't want to piss them off, if Ino had improved as much as Sakura... well, he did need to sleep at some point.

He looked at Lee, who glared back in a mixture of jealousy and excitement.

“Let's go.” He said to the walking talking fashion disaster and jumped into the arena.

“Indeed, let us show the fires of youth and let the better man win!” Lee shouted as he followed him into the arena.

“I'll show you that hard work can beat a genius like you.” Lee said confidently.

Sasuke merely rolled his eyes and looked at the referee. “You two ready?” He asked, receiving nods in return. “Then: Begin!” he shouted once again.

Immediately both Lee and Sasuke jumped back, putting some distance between each other.

Sasuke also activated his sharingan, looking at Lee, taking in every detail and more.

“I'll end this quick. Just like last time.” Lee said confidently, looking back at Sakura, a megawatt smile shining at her. “Watch me Sakura chan!”

Sasuke yawned, this match would be over fast. It felt kinda like cheating, really it did.

But, as Sakura took to saying. Work smarter, not harder. A philosophy Sasuke could live by... well as long as he also worked himself into the ground of course. He did need to get stronger. Just meant in the fights he would use his brain more, instead of substituting raw power for smarts.

With a battle cry Lee threw himself at Sasuke. His speed once again incredible, Sasuke could barely follow and only his sharingan enabled him to react in time.

He ripped his elbow forward and slammed it squarely into Lee's face, hitting it with the combined force of Lee's charge and his own swing.

The force flung Lee onto his back and Sasuke immediately follow him to the ground and held a kunai at his throat.

The crowd, who had just reared up to shout in a frenzy fell absolutely silent.

“I win, don't I?” Sasuke asked the referee calmly.

Lee had almost immediately recovered, but since Sasuke did hold a kunai to his throat, he couldn't do much. Damn, those pesky knifes and weak human physique.

“Uhh... I suppose?” The referee asked him.

“Shouldn't you announce it then?” Sasuke sighed.

“Yes, yes I should.” The referee still seemed to have trouble believing what happened.

“Winner: Uchiha Sasuke!” He shouted nevertheless.

Sasuke pulled the kunai away and helped Lee up.

“I... how... how did I lose?” Lee stuttered. “Even Neji never beat me like this.”

Sasuke looked at him long and hard. It had been an extremely unfair match-up. And really, if Sasuke had fought fair, well Lee would have wiped the floor with him, no questions there.

“Genjutsu.” He simply said. “I used a genjutsu on you as soon as we stood in the arena.”

Lee hung his head. “I see. You made me see you slightly to the side, all you had to do was lift our arm. I would run right into it... and you with me momentarily stunned, you could easily subdue me.” He sighed. “I should have been more careful.”

Sasuke shrugged. “If this hadn't worked... well, I would have used other genjutsu, it's rather difficult to beat them, when created by the sharingan.”

“Not impossible though.” Lee countered.

Sasuke nodded, especially if an amateur like him used them. But then, Lee probably never had to deal with them, or if he had to, Neji took care of them.

Good thing Sakura had beat Neji... he glared at the boy who left him at her mercy. This would suck. He would have to go in and beat her nearly immediately. Before the poison she would use on him incapacitated him.

“I will improve though. Neji might not always be available to dispel a genjutsu. So I will have to learn to break them myself!” Lee shouted with conviction.

Sasuke sighed in exasperation, how could one boy be so high-strung?

On the other hand... he needed somebody willing to expose himself to whatever genjutsu Sasuke thought up... “We might be able to help each other.” He said coolly.

“Huh? What do you mean?” Lee asked confused.

In fact, training against Lee, with or without the sharingan, would not only improve his genjutsu, but his taijutsu and stamina as well.

“I need to train my genjutsu further as well.” He said slowly as they climbed the stairs back up to the ranks.

“Ohh a training partnership! A band of brotherhood!” Lee exclaimed excitedly and hugged him.

Sasuke felt his right eye develop a twitch.

“We'll be just like Kakashi and Gai-sensei. Rivals who challenge each other, driving ourselves to new highs every day!” Lee whirled him around.

“Should we leave them alone?” Sakura asked. Sasuke could just hear the raised eyebrow.

“They do look like they need some alone time.” Ino replied.

“Hey bastard, do you have a new boyfriend?” Naruto snorted in amusement.

Oh yes, definitely a twitch.

“Why, we did forge a bond of brotherhood in the flames of battle.” Lee prattled on. Sasuke regretted ever opening his mouth, no matter how much he improved thanks to Lee, no amount of power would be worth this!

“Ohh I see, maybe you would let us watch?” Sakura sniggered.

Lee looked at her in confusion. “Let you watch what? Our training?”

“Yes, exactly that.” Sakura leered at them.

Definitely not worth it.

--o--

Kabuto looked down, at the assembled group of genin.

A quick glance at Orochimaru revealed nothing. He didn't give away a single thought.

Though Kabuto felt reasonably sure he must have been annoyed by the quick end of Sasuke's battle.

As for Kabuto himself, he found the quick and efficient ends to the three fights refreshing. Usually the kids fought big flashy battles, that only ended when one or both opponents fell over from exhaustion.

These battles ended as soon as one opponent managed to go for the throat.

Still it denied Orochimaru of his opportunity to watch Sasuke in action before he faced Gaara.

Kabuto watched as Haruno played with Sasuke and Lee. He couldn't hear a word she said and since her head faced away from him he couldn't read her lips either. But he didn't need to, in order to know she enjoyed pissing Sasuke off. The twitch he developed clued him in. The laughter at him just drove the final nail in the coffin.

Though Sasuke didn't appear to mind too much. No weapons had been drawn after all.

He just wondered why Haruno hadn't finished Neji with a poison. It would have been much safer and easier to simply poison him...

Then again, even if the various ingredients were available in and around Konoha, most took some searching and if you didn't have the time you had to buy them. Which would be rather expensive.

And even if you used poison, you weren't guaranteed a promotion.

Never mind the fact that she probably wanted to keep an ace in reserve.

She would fight one more time, before Sasuke and Gaara would start the invasion, against Nara.

Both weren't know for their massive chakra reserves and more for their smarts.

This should be an interesting battle.

Tenten and Gaara had finally faced of in the arena.

This shouldn't take too long. The poor girl didn't stand a chance after all.
Kirai

Re: Expectations of Development [Naruto]

Unread postby Magnificate » June 11th, 2010, 3:44 pm

I have just reread the whole fic. I did it in one go. It's well written, but there is something I can't quite put my finger on that doesn't feel quite right. While it might be realistic Sakura's change was decisive (not sudden though), perhaps I'd preferred it to be more gradual. Maybe it was Sakura acting slightly perverted. (Then again I laughed at the shared tree scene.) Or Sasuke giving in to girls. (I love the adventures of Libido though.)

Can’t offer suggestions to improve, unfortunately.
Magnificate

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop