Village Building: Shiogakure no Sato (Comments)

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Re: Village Building: Shiogakure no Sato (Comments)

Unread postby Vael » January 17th, 2010, 1:45 am

*grins and feeds upon Phht's plot bunny*
Vael

Unread postby Vael » February 12th, 2010, 2:31 pm

*sigh* I got distracted by a Bloodline...sorry about that ^.^;;

Anyways, the characters and the clans that they could grow into are up. I still don't know if I should include Iruka into all this.
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby gman391 » February 12th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Iruka is fairly loyal type I'd see him following Naruto.

Besides with Wave's location you need a clan at home on the ocean. You could give them the Dolphin Contract! As for who Iruka actually ends up with...Shizune? A Shipping clan based around medical exports should work.

As for the other clans they seem to flow but I'm not sure about the Byakugan clan. Seems to me that Konoha would move in force in order to prevent anyone else from having it. And what's the Inuzuka clan doing during all this?
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Phht » February 12th, 2010, 6:48 pm

I think the Inuzuka Clan's chasing their tails. Or squirrels.

I vote Iruka/Tsunami. :leaving:

--

If they keep a low profile, it should be harder for the Hyuuga clan to spot them. Of course, Neji needs to avoid any Main House Hyuuga like the plague, due to his CBS. But once word does reach them of Byakugan using clan(s) in Wave, they'll probably start scouring the country with branch hyuuga using the byakugan to locate and eliminate "rogue clan members." And depending who's running Konoha at the time, they might get official support in the mission. If they're brute forcing things, a Hyuuga/Inuzuka/Yamanaka/Nara team would work well in hunting down and eliminating Byakugan users. Also, Konoha could have people request fake missions to ambush and wipe out Shio ninja teams.

So the game to play is politics. Get mutual defense treaties, trade treaties, or the like with, say, Kiri or Kumo (and Suna). Or better yet, have Wave form trade agreements with Fire and use the daimyo to keep Konoha in line. Until Shio establishes itself strong enough to withstand attempts like that, they have to play the political game rather than military.

As a bonus, Shio can embarrass Konoha by catching the teams and sending them back to Konoha via another village or country where it's quite public that Konoha's running extermination missions in foreign territory against another country's citizens. Maybe also reveal the truth behind the Uchiha Massacre; after all, they're okay with wiping out their own clans, so why should anyone be surprised they have no issue trying to do the same to a non-hostile country's clans? Doing such a thing tarnishes Konoha's "nice guy" image that it pushes (should that image still exist by that point), which may hurt income from missions. This works especially well if Wave can bring economic pressure against Fire's daimyo over the incidents and have him smack down Konoha. The village may need a reminder of just how badly an unhappy daimyo can ruin a hidden village (hello, Suna!), which'll force the village to choose between funding and continuing to attack another country's citizens.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Vael » February 15th, 2010, 7:56 am

What about Iruka / Hana? :lech

@gman: Well, Phht's put it pretty well as to how Shio could battle against Konoha's forces. However, the main aim of this whole thing is that the village and its clans should appear out of nowhere. The initial idea behind Shio happens three years after Naruto's banishment and during this time Jiraiya (as Hokage/Konoha's former spymaster) has muddied the trails of Tsunade's Team. A whole load of other things happen, like Anko/Shikamaru/Ino/Kakashi faking their deaths, Team Gai not returning from a mission, and everyone else trickling out of Konoha. Overall though, I believe the situation is chaotic enough for intelligence over what is happening in Wave to be rather muddled. There's also the political backlash from Suna and Wave over the banishment of Naruto to deal with, even within the walls of Konoha.

Now the seafaring clan is a good idea, I just don't want any clan to be too specialized in one thing, but having nin that easily fight on the ocean is something pretty attractive. The Umino (.... of the Sea) Clan? Interesting...

@Phht: Definitely Suna is jumping on the "Blame Konoha" bandwagon, he should also have the backing of Spring Country. Village wise, well I'm not sure if any will be politically backing Shio at this point...still, forming Alliances will definitely be a priority. As for Wave and Fire...well, that might be possible with Shio protecting Wave from bandits/criminal organizations. So...yeah...
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby ewuvi » February 15th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Forming an alliance with Kumo may be the most likely bet.

While Raikage is (thankfully) unwilling to buy into canon!Naruto's tearful pleas to spare a traitor, he seems the most likely of all of the other Kages (save Gaara) to listen to a young ninja's fiery attempts to found a new village. The Jichuuriki thing may even work in Naruto's favor in this instance. On top of that, with Shio beginning to undermine Konoha and bringing the Byakugan out of Konoha, Raikage would want to keep little Shio around. Not only does it weaken Konoha, but it gives Kumo-nin a legitimate reason to target any Konoha-nin in the region...with the added bonus of making Kumo look like the protective Big-Brother type of village and possibly stealing even more business from Konoha.
ewuvi

Unread postby Vael » February 16th, 2010, 2:26 pm

*blinks* Oh god...having Kumo as a 'big-brother' village with Suna as the distant elder brother... :eep <- that's the face of the Konoha Council and Iwa nin. :biggrin2

On that note, I really am starting to dig the idea of the Umino Clan...Iruka/Tsunami might be a good match up since they are both so caring, but it also runs the risk of Iruka quitting to live the quiet life of a civilian I think. Iruka/Hana might be better if for image of a clan of Inuzuka-esque sailors (insert Kiri goin' "CRAP!"). Hell, Kiba will most probably be there as well.

But then that leads to what I'm TERRIFIED of, having the Rookie 11 all go to Shiogakure...the other clans are just too visible (I know, I know, I have former Hyuuga there...I'm a Hypocritic at times...sue me :P ) so that's why I passed right by the Inuzuka, even if they would have jumped on the bandwagon. Then again though, their enhanced senses could help as sailors as well (smelling storms/land/stowaways/illegal stuff...so on). What say you?

The major thing is that Shio NEEDS to keep their possession of the Byakugan and Sharingan (I'm thinking of making this a permanent fixture (single-eye sharingan) for the Hatake-Mitarashi Clan thanks to Senju Clan medic nin, what say you?) a secret or...well, Kiri is going to be the least of the problems from where I'm sitting.
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Vael

Unread postby SirKaid » February 17th, 2010, 12:29 am

A clan of single eyed Sharingan users? In a navy-based hidden village? Can you say "Yarr, maties!"? :animlol: Sorry, I just can't get that image out of my head. A bunch of short Kakashis running around with eyepatches and swords robbing merchant navies...
SirKaid

Unread postby Phht » February 17th, 2010, 12:45 am

My major thought regarding Inuzuka with a water combat-based clan... How well would the canines work in that area compared to land combat? And if you remove them to make the clan work better in that area, why use the Inuzuka at all then?

The Hyuuga are easier to hide than an Inuzuka, mainly because the major indicators aren't obvious - just eyes and maybe CBS - and the eyes can be handled somewhat easily. An Inuzuka, on the other hand, has the tattoos on their cheeks, tend to look more feral, and typically has at least one canine companion. Bit harder to hide the first two indicators.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Vael » March 26th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Lemme pick up from where we left off with caring about the insane amounts of time passed ;)

After a LOT (tonnes of it too) of thought I've decided that Iruka will be stuck with Mini-Gai and Mini-Tsunade, the poor man will be stuck with a warm caring Tsunami (until he makes the mistake of listening to one of Naruto's ideas and give her tips on kunai use...Anko was proud, scared, but proud). I think that having 8 clans in one village should be more than enough (especially since the village is made up of clans in the first place).

Now, for lack of a direction, what do you guys want to see next? My (recently excavated) notes have tonnes of stuff in 'em, but no order *sigh*.
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Vael

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop