Swampbending

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Swampbending

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 2nd, 2010, 1:10 am

This is what I've come up so far, based on the plot bunny I posted earlier today. Let me know what you think, but for now, I'm off to bed, as I have work in the morning.
Spoiler: show
“That was so much fun, Bumi,” Aang laughed as he tumbled out of the mail cart, his friend still sprawled out inside. “That was even cooler than the time I rode the elephant koi on Kyoshi Island.

“Glad to see I’ve still got it!” King Bumi cackled, a crooked grin spread across his face. He took a deep breath and blew it out slowly as he pushed himself up. “So, Aang, what do you think you’ll be doing next, now that you’ve spent some time with a mad genius?”

“Well, I’ve still got to master the four elements, so we’re on our way to the North Pole, to find a master waterbender.”

“Why would you want to go up there and deal with those fuddy-duddies all the time?” Bumi asked, frowning suddenly.

“Because there aren’t any more master waterbenders at the South Pole, so the North Pole is the only other place I could find one.”

“Well, if you say so…” Bumi turned contemplative. “I was going to ask you to take something to someone for me, but if you’re just going to be going to the Northern Water Tribe, I suppose I’ll have to find someone else…”

“No way, Bumi, you can trust me to do it,” Aang protested. “And with Appa, there’s no one faster than me.”

“You’ve convinced me!” Bumi cheered. “Come along, I’ll order the castle quartermaster to restock all your supplies while I get you the letter.”

--

“I still don’t see why we have to go out of our way just to deliver this letter,” Sokka complained. “I know he’s a friend of yours, Aang, but the guy did trap me and Katara in tasty growing rock candy death traps.”

“Be nice, Sokka,” Katara reprimanded gently. “He did give us enough food for the next couple weeks, provided Momo doesn’t get into the food stores again.”

“Momo wouldn’t do that, would you Momo?” Aang said from his position up front.

Momo stuck his head out of a bag, cheeks wide and bulging with food. He chittered rapidly as Sokka dove for the bag.

“Look, there it is!” Aang exclaimed. Sure enough, a wide forest came into view as Appa broke over the top of the mountain. Minutes later, Appa had drifted down and was skimming the tops of the trees.

“Do you see anything?” Katara asked. “King Bumi didn’t really give us an exact place to look, he just said that he’d be in the Foggy Swamp.”

“Well, this place certainly is foggy, but I can’t see anything through the trees,” Aang said. “Appa, take us down.”

The sky bison groaned and descended. Branches snapped around Appa’s huge frame, and he quickly became entangled in the large number of vines.

“Hey! Whatcha doin’ up there? And how’re you up there doin’ it?” an unfamiliar voice shouted up to them. The gang peered over the side of Appa’s saddle and saw a pair of barely clad men staring up at them, one short and stocky, the other tall and skinny. “I ain’t never seen a critter that big that far up before, what ‘bout you Due?”

“Nope, never have, Tho. Mighty interesting though,” the man’s skinnier boat partner said.

The vines binding Appa shifted and creaked as Momo chewed through several quickly. After five had snapped, the rest gave out and Appa plunged toward the swamp below, creating an almighty wave when he hit. Appa let out a bellowing groan and kicked up, soaring through the air for a few hundred feet before binding up again.

“Y’all ain’t goin’ to get nowhere like that, friend. Only way to get ‘round in here is down low,” Tho advised, standing up from where he sat at the end of the boat. “Too much stuff up there to move ‘round much. Nothing much bigger than a Screaming Bird can fly ‘round up there.”

Momo chewed through the vines holding Appa once more, but this time, Aang was able to calm Appa down before he could panic and take off again. “That’s it boy, it’s okay,” he said in soothing tones as he rubbed a spot just behind Appa’s right horn.

“Um, Mr. Tho, I think you said,” Katara started hesitantly, “do you know anyone named Huu? We’re supposed to deliver a letter to him.”

“Yeah, then maybe we can get out of this creepy place,” Sokka muttered.

“Shoot, Huu? Yeah, he’s usually up by the big tree ‘communing with nature’ round this time. If’n the big fella there ain’t gonna spook no more, we can take y’all to him.”

“Really? That would be great,” Aang said enthusiastically.

“Alright then, just let us know if’n you can’t keep up. We can get goin’ might quick if we don’t watch it.”

“Uh, how? I don’t even see any paddles or anything,” Sokka asked.

“Just you watch, young man. Alright, Due, hit it.”

Due swung his arms back and forth a few times, before swing them all the way around, creating wide, sweeping circles that cut through the air like windmills. Nothing happened for a moment, but then the water underneath the boat stirred, and the small skiff took off, throwing up a wake that took the gang by complete surprise.

“They – they’re waterbending,” Katara whispered reverently.

--

“Huu! Hey, Huu, you up there?” Due called after they had docked their skiff.

A short man with a round stomach peeked his head out from behind an enormous tree root. “Due? Tho? I though you two would be out fishing by now.”

“We was, but these fellas came crashing in through the air and just ‘bout landed on our boat. We conversated a moment and turns out they got something for you,” Due explained.

“Well, that certainly explains it.” Huu walked out, showing he was wearing the same leaf-style loincloth Due and Tho were.

Aang grabbed Bumi’s letter from his pack and leapt from Appa’s head, landing just in front of Huu. “King Bumi sends his regards,” Aang said formally, bowing slightly.

Huu took the letter and unrolled it, his eyes scanning the words. “You’re Aang?” Huu asked as he finished the letter. Aang nodded. “Bumi asks that I take you on as a student of waterbending. Katara too.”

“Really?” Aang and Katara exclaimed as one.

“Yep.”

“That would be great! Did you hear that Katara? Now we don’t have to fly all the way too the North Pole!” Aang cheered.

“So you’re both waterbenders, huh?” Huu asked. “Didn’t know there were any waterbenders anywhere besides the Foggy Swamp. Makes sense though, I suppose. Water’s everywhere. Why shouldn’t there be waterbenders there too. Everything’s connected, after all.”

“Wait a second, you’re just going to accept them as students?” Sokka blurted out. “Just like that?”

“Why not? Bumi’s a friend, even if I haven’t seen him in a while. I don’t mind doing him a favor. Besides they seem willing to learn, and I’m willing to teach.”

Sokka seemed dumbfounded. “Huh. You’d think that it would be harder than that, every epic story you hear the master makes the student prove themselves worthy first, before they train them at all.”

“Sokka! Stop trying to talk him out of it!” Katara hissed. She turned back to Huu and smiled sweetly. “Sorry about Sokka, he doesn’t really get bending.”

“It’s perfectly fine. Everything has its place, so just remember that before forcing something to happen. Not everything is like water, after all, able to fit and adapt to whatever you put it in. Some things are like the trees, growing up, straight and strong, and only able to alter so much before they break. Just something to think about. Now, why don’t you two tell me a little about yourselves.”

“I’m Katara, of the Southern Water Tribe. After the raids the Fire Nation did against our Tribe, I was the only waterbender left in the whole village. We were planning on going to the North Pole to find a master there, but I guess we don’t have to do that now.”

“I’m Aang, and I’m the Avatar. I’ve spent the last hundred years frozen in an iceberg, but before that, I lived at the Southern Air Temple, where I mastered airbending. Um, I really appreciate this, Master Huu.”

“Oh, no need for that Master stuff. And Avatar, you say? I can’t say I know much about it, we don’t get out of the swamp much, and not many people try to come in. But if you want to learn about waterbending, I’ll do my best to teach you.”

Huu stretched, and something popped in his back. “Ooh, that feels better. Communing with nature is harder work than some people seem to think,” he explained, ignoring Due and Tho’s snickering. “Now, what say we head back to the village, and get these kids settled. Tho, Due, I’m riding back with you.”

--

“So, have you guys been attacked by the Fire Nation at all?” Sokka asked. Aang and Katara were off practicing with Huu, and Sokka had been left back at the village with the other tribesmen.

“Not much, not for the past few years,” Tho explained. “They can’t really do much here. The trees and plants are too wet for them to burn real easy, and they can’t get them fancy warships of theirs in the swamp without getting them stuck. We can sink the little boats pretty easy, and the swamp can usually take care of itself for the most part.”

“Wait, what?” Sokka asked with an upraised eyebrow.

“Didn’t Huu give you that whole big speech of his?” Sokka shook his head. “Huu says that the whole swamp is one big tree. I don’t know ‘bout the whole thing being one tree, but for the most part, he’s not far off. And something that big and that old has got a mighty big spirit. Long as we respect the swamp, the spirits don’t give us no problems. You go bargin’ in with no respect for nothing, and you’re in for a world of hurt.”

“So the swamp’s alive?”

“Course the swamp’s alive! Not really alive like me or you, but its sure got something goin’ on. I’ve seen people come in and get so turned around they never see their way out. Not to mention that people see things sometimes. Don’t right know what causes it, but people come into the swamp, don’t show it no respect, and they start seeing things. Huu explains it better than me, but I’ve seen Fire Nation troops come in, and all of a sudden they’re wanderin’ off, calling after people what aren’t there.”

“Whoa, that’s kinda scary, when you think about it.”

Tho slapped Sokka on the back. “Don’t worry kid, just stick with me, and I’ll keep you straight.”

--

“Why would the Avatar come here, of all places?” Zuko complained as he stood at the head of the steamer.

“Perhaps he felt this place would deter you from following him, Prince Zuko,” Iroh suggested to him over a cup of tea.

“Well, it won’t work. Nothing will stop me from capturing him, and regaining my honor,” Zuko vowed. Iroh said nothing, but his eyes clouded in thought behind his teacup.

--

“Hey Tho, we got some people down in the South End,” Due shouted as he made his way into camp.

“What’d they look like?” Tho prompted.

“Fire Nation, looked like. Real small group, though. Seemed like they were lookin’ for something, cause they weren’t burnin’ anything down or anything.”

“Welp, I’m guessin’ we should go give ‘em a proper welcome. Sokka, come on, I’ll show you how we do things here in Foggy Swamp Country. Boh, you go get Huu.”

A scraggly looking boy shot up and ran off in the direction Huu had left with Katara and Aang that morning, and Sokka gathered his weapons. “Let’s go,” Sokka said, far more serious than normal.

--

Sokka, Due, and Tho all hunched in the bushes, waiting for the Fire Nation soldiers to pass. The sound of heavy footsteps grew louder, and Due had to put a hand on Sokka to keep him from running out and challenging the whole contingent himself.

“Shh, watch this.” Tho straightened as much as the cover would allow, and began moving his arms in circles, first small but growing larger. A vine snaked out slowly, creeping along the ground until it snagged the leg of one of the soldiers towards the middle of the line. The soldier went down, hard. He took the man in front of him with him, and the soldier behind him as well.

“Hold the line!” a slightly better armored soldier in the rear called.

“What? Why?” the armored figure at the head of the line snarled. He turned around quickly, seeing the three soldiers sprawled across the ground.

“It was a vine, Prince Zuko,” Iroh said, and Sokka had to suppress a gasp as he realized who it was. The helmet had kept him from recognizing Zuko, but now that Iroh was out in the open, Sokka knew whom he was up against. And he knew that Zuko’s men were good at what they did.

Two of the soldiers got up without trouble, but the third fell to one side as he pushed himself up. “Sprained ankle, sir,” the group’s medic declared after a moment of inspection.

“Lieutenant Jee, take a partner and get this man back to the steamer,” Iroh said, his voice taking on one of command. “And see if you can get him a good cup of tea.”

Then the river exploded.

A huge, hulking form made of twisting vines and plants dominated the sight of everyone present. The monster seemed only to have two arms and a body, with no head or feet, and the only thing resembling a face was marked by a plank of dead wood, hovering close to the middle of the body.

It swung one monstrous arm out, scattering the soldiers. Several were hit, and knocked into the river. The other arm reared back, and shot forward, slamming into the unfortunate Lieutenant Jee. The arm carried him back, pinning him against a tree.

Zuko recovered his wits first, and shot a blast of fire at their attacker. A chunk of the monster’s shoulder was burned, but just as Zuko prepared to shout an order, the damage healed easily. A grimace pulled across his face, and Zuko gave the order. “Fall back! Everyone, back to the steamer!”

The soldiers quickly responded, sending ineffectual fire blasts at the monster, but covering themselves well. As soon as their comrades were pulled from the river, the soldiers were gone, retreating as fast as they could.

As soon as the soldiers were out of sight, the monster melted back into the water, much less violent then its appearance. Once it had disappeared, Huu walked out of the river, breathing heavy but unharmed.

“That was awesome!” Aang exclaimed as he floated down gently. Katara emerged from the brush on the other side of the river, and swam across.

“I’ve never even thought of doing anything like that, Huu,” Katara breathed. “I can’t wait to learn how to do that.”
MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Re: Swampbending

Unread postby Kirai » March 2nd, 2010, 5:02 am

Very interesting. The only problem I have with it is the speed. It just happens a bit too fast for me.

First time they entered the swamp they were running around finding nothing for at least half a day. Now they find them immediatly.

Same with Zuko and Iroh. They can't fly. So it would take them longer to even come close to the swampbenders. Certainly nothing they need to concern themself with for another day or two.

Maybe strech it out a bit?
Kirai

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 2nd, 2010, 9:15 am

Very interesting. The only problem I have with it is the speed. It just happens a bit too fast for me.

First time they entered the swamp they were running around finding nothing for at least half a day. Now they find them immediatly.

Same with Zuko and Iroh. They can't fly. So it would take them longer to even come close to the swampbenders. Certainly nothing they need to concern themself with for another day or two.

Maybe strech it out a bit?
Well, the gang finding Due and Tho was basically dumb luck on their parts, that I wrote in large part because having them wander around not finding anything, is quite simply, boring. Boring to write, and boring to read. Figure that the spirits of the swamp knew the gang were there for a reason, and basically nudged things along so Tho and Due were in the right spot.

As for Zuko and Iroh, they aren't showing up until several days later, likely a week or so. Zuko had been expecting Aang to continue travel north, and so tried to find them up there, and didn't get word that they went down to the Foggy Swamp until a few days later. I tried to show that, but that all was mostly a rough draft, so I'll go back and look at that a bit, try and clear it up.

Also, as everything in the Avatar world, it travels at the speed of plot. I'm going to try and make it realistic, but this is the show where Sokka, Suki, and Toph make it from the outer wall of Ba Sing Se to the invasion point in one day (Old Masters/Into the Inferno). If the Invasion point is on the western edge of the Earth Kingdom continent, that's incredible. Even if it's on the eastern edge, it's unrealistic.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 2nd, 2010, 9:25 am

Well, the gang finding Due and Tho was basically dumb luck on their parts, that I wrote in large part because having them wander around not finding anything, is quite simply, boring. Boring to write, and boring to read. Figure that the spirits of the swamp knew the gang were there for a reason, and basically nudged things along so Tho and Due were in the right spot.

As for Zuko and Iroh, they aren't showing up until several days later, likely a week or so. Zuko had been expecting Aang to continue travel north, and so tried to find them up there, and didn't get word that they went down to the Foggy Swamp until a few days later. I tried to show that, but that all was mostly a rough draft, so I'll go back and look at that a bit, try and clear it up.

Also, as everything in the Avatar world, it travels at the speed of plot. I'm going to try and make it realistic, but this is the show where Sokka, Suki, and Toph make it from the outer wall of Ba Sing Se to the invasion point in one day (Old Masters/Into the Inferno). If the Invasion point is on the western edge of the Earth Kingdom continent, that's incredible. Even if it's on the eastern edge, it's unrealistic.

MrRigger
Fair point about it being boring. I figured that would be it. However, when going into this with the expectations from the series it's a bit jarring. Have no immediat idea how to change that, without making it boring, however.

Rough drafts excuse a lot of things^^

Another good point. As I said, it was mostly the expectations form the series. That made me say it's a bit too fast. Hmm maybe work the spirits in there somehow? Or maybe let bumi mention the biggest tree they can find^^
Kirai

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 2nd, 2010, 1:44 pm

Well, the problem with Bumi is that he is exactly the kind of guy to leave out the pertinent information. Not just in the tests he gave Aang, those were supposed to test his ability to think things through, but also in his other appearances. In Return to Omashu, Bumi gives orders completely against any common sense, and doesn't explain what's going on. Not even to the commander/advisor, who needs to know these things.

However, my main reason for having Bumi not tell him to look for the big tree, or something similar, is a great deal simpler. Bumi likes messing with people. It's pretty much all he does, when he isn't being an awesome Earthbender. He throws Aang a feast, and doesn't tell him why. He puts Aang through a bunch of grueling tests, and then laughs about it. He even gets a hoot out of being prisoner. Never mind that he could break out at any time, he just thinks being locked up in a metal box is the funniest thing ever. Bumi likes screwing with people, and is exactly the kind of person who would make a close friend trudge through a swamp rather than tell him exactly where to go.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 2nd, 2010, 3:23 pm

True, he would say: look for the threes.

And that's all he would say^^
Kirai

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 2nd, 2010, 7:33 pm

True, he would say: look for the threes.

And that's all he would say^^
Haha, you're probably not far off.

I'm working on the next section, and I've gone over a few episodes, trying to pace things out. From what I can tell, Katara and Aang spent about three weeks with Pakku learning waterbending before the Fire Nation attacked, and I'm going to have a fairly similar timeline in my story, for those pacing nuts out there. Of course, since it has roots in canon, I don't mind having them learn that fast. And given that they're doing nothing but training, it's somewhat understandable.

As for how I puzzled out that they were there for three weeks in canon, you can see a waning crescent moon in "The Waterbending Master", and it's the full moon for the "Siege of the North." Does that sound logical to everyone?

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 2nd, 2010, 7:47 pm

Well, seeing as I'm everybody at the moment. Yeah looks logical(even if it could be three weeks and a month or two or three^^ but yeah three weeks makes more sense what with no time to waste and both of them being prodigies)
Kirai

Unread postby LightLink17 » March 3rd, 2010, 12:51 am

It's pretty solid for a first draft. I agree that it should be more clear that it's been a week or so before Zuko shows up. Upon my first read-through I thought it had been a day at most.

One thing, are you sure it's reasonable for Zuko to figure out where Aang is so quickly? Who exactly would know where Aang went outside of Omashu? It'd be difficult I think for Zuko to get an exact location, and it'd probably take a bit longer than a week for Zuko to bumble into the swamp based on people mentioning they saw a flying bison going a certain direction, especially if he initially passed the swamp.

Another thing is that Aang at this point doesn't have a huge sense of urgency to master all the elements. That didn't happen until he had his talk with Roku and learned of his deadline. So even though you got Aang a teacher sooner than in canon, he may take more time to learn than in canon. Then again, that shouldn't be too hard to fix. He's in a magic swamp after all, why couldn't Roku visit him there? Just something to think about.
LightLink17

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 3rd, 2010, 2:37 am

Alright, I cleaned up the first part a little bit, changed some of the wording a little, trying to make the passage of time a little more obvious. I've also added a second part, that explores a little more into Zuko and Iroh. The next part is probably going to take a while longer, I have some things I need to work out.
“That was so much fun, Bumi,” Aang laughed as he tumbled out of the mail cart, his friend still sprawled out inside. “That was even cooler than the time I rode the elephant koi on Kyoshi Island.

“Glad to see I’ve still got it!” King Bumi cackled, a crooked grin spread across his face. He took a deep breath and blew it out slowly as he pushed himself up. “So, Aang, what do you think you’ll be doing next, now that you’ve spent some time with a mad genius?”

“Well, I’ve still got to master the four elements, so we’re on our way to the North Pole, to find a master waterbender.”

“Why would you want to go up there and deal with those fuddy-duddies all the time?” Bumi asked, frowning suddenly.

“Because there aren’t any more master waterbenders at the South Pole, so the North Pole is the only other place I could find one.”

“Well, if you say so…” Bumi turned contemplative. “I was going to ask you to take something to someone for me, but if you’re just going to be going to the Northern Water Tribe, I suppose I’ll have to find someone else…”

“No way, Bumi, you can trust me to do it,” Aang protested. “And with Appa, there’s no one faster than me.”

“You’ve convinced me!” Bumi cheered. “Come along, I’ll order the castle quartermaster to restock all your supplies while I get you the letter.”

--

“I still don’t see why we have to go out of our way just to deliver this letter,” Sokka complained. “I know he’s a friend of yours, Aang, but the guy did trap me and Katara in tasty growing rock candy death traps.”

“Be nice, Sokka,” Katara reprimanded gently. “It’s not that far out of our way, we should be back on track in a day or two. And besides, he did give us enough free food for the next couple weeks, provided Momo doesn’t get into the food stores again.”

“Momo wouldn’t do that, would you Momo?” Aang said from his position up front.

Momo stuck his head out of a bag, cheeks wide and bulging with food. He chittered rapidly as Sokka dove for the bag.

“Look, there it is!” Aang exclaimed. Sure enough, a wide forest came into view as Appa broke over the top of the mountain. Minutes later, Appa had drifted down and was skimming the tops of the trees.

“Do you see anything?” Katara asked. “King Bumi didn’t really give us an exact place to look, he just said that he’d be in the Foggy Swamp. Maybe over by that huge tree.”

“Well, this place certainly is foggy, but I can’t see anything through the trees. And I don’t know about that tree, Katara, I can’t see any signs of a village from here.” Aang said. “Appa, take us down.”

The sky bison groaned and descended. Branches snapped around Appa’s huge frame, and he quickly became entangled in the large number of vines.

“Hey! Whatcha doin’ up there? And how’re you up there doin’ it?” an unfamiliar voice shouted up to them. The gang peered over the side of Appa’s saddle and saw a pair of barely clad men staring up at them, one short and stocky, the other tall and skinny. “I ain’t never seen a critter that big that far up before, what ‘bout you Due?”

“Nope, never have, Tho. Mighty interesting though,” the man’s skinnier boat partner said.

The vines binding Appa shifted and creaked as Momo chewed through several quickly. After five had snapped, the rest gave out and Appa plunged toward the swamp below, creating an almighty wave when he hit. Appa let out a bellowing groan and kicked up, soaring through the air for a few hundred feet before binding up again.

“Y’all ain’t goin’ to get nowhere like that, friend. Only way to get ‘round in here is down low,” Tho advised, standing up from where he sat at the end of the boat. “Too much stuff up there to move ‘round much. Nothing much bigger than a Screaming Bird can fly ‘round up there.”

Momo chewed through the vines holding Appa once more, but this time, Aang was able to calm Appa down before he could panic and take off again. “That’s it boy, it’s okay,” he said in soothing tones as he rubbed a spot just behind Appa’s right horn.

“Um, Mr. Tho, I think you said,” Katara started hesitantly, “do you know anyone named Huu? We’re supposed to deliver a letter to him.”

“Yeah, then maybe we can get out of this creepy place,” Sokka muttered.

“Shoot, Huu? Yeah, he’s usually up by the big tree ‘communing with nature’ round this time. If’n the big fella there ain’t gonna spook no more, we can take y’all to him.”

“Really? That would be great,” Aang said enthusiastically.

“I told you we should have looked up by the big tree,” Katara muttered.

“Alright then, just let us know if’n you can’t keep up. We can get goin’ might quick if we don’t watch it.”

“Uh, how? I don’t even see any paddles or anything,” Sokka asked.

“Just you watch, young man. Alright, Due, hit it.”

Due swung his arms back and forth a few times, before swing them all the way around, creating wide, sweeping circles that cut through the air like windmills. Nothing happened for a moment, but then the water underneath the boat stirred, and the small skiff took off, throwing up a wake that took the gang by complete surprise.

“They – they’re waterbending,” Katara whispered reverently.

--

“Huu! Hey, Huu, you up there?” Due called after they had docked their skiff.

A short man with a round stomach peeked his head out from behind an enormous tree root. “Due? Tho? I though you two would be out fishing by now.”

“We was, but these fellas came crashing in through the air and just ‘bout landed on our boat. It was weird, too, Huu, we didn’t go to our normal spot, and I can’t really remember why. But I guess if’n we hadn’t, we wouldn’t’ve found ‘em. But we conversated a moment and turns out they got something for you,” Due explained.

“Well, that certainly explains it.” Huu walked out, showing he was wearing the same leaf-style loincloth Due and Tho were.

Aang grabbed Bumi’s letter from his pack and leapt from Appa’s head, landing just in front of Huu. “King Bumi sends his regards,” Aang said formally, bowing slightly.

Huu took the letter and unrolled it, his eyes scanning the words. “You’re Aang?” Huu asked as he finished the letter. Aang nodded. “Bumi asks that I take you on as a student of waterbending. Katara too.”

“Really?” Aang and Katara exclaimed as one.

“Yep.”

“That would be great! Did you hear that Katara? Now we don’t have to fly all the way too the North Pole!” Aang cheered.

“So you’re both waterbenders, huh?” Huu asked. “Didn’t know there were any waterbenders anywhere besides the Foggy Swamp. Makes sense though, I suppose. Water’s everywhere. Why shouldn’t there be waterbenders there too. Everything’s connected, after all.”

“Wait a second, you’re just going to accept them as students?” Sokka blurted out. “Just like that?”

“Why not? Bumi’s a friend, even if I haven’t seen him in a while. I don’t mind doing him a favor. Besides they seem willing to learn, and I’m willing to teach.”

Sokka seemed dumbfounded. “Huh. You’d think that it would be harder than that, every epic story you hear the master makes the student prove themselves worthy first, before they train them at all.”

“Sokka! Stop trying to talk him out of it!” Katara hissed. She turned back to Huu and smiled sweetly. “Sorry about Sokka, he doesn’t really get bending.”

“It’s perfectly fine. Everything has its place, so just remember that before forcing something to happen. Not everything is like water, after all, able to fit and adapt to whatever you put it in. Some things are like the trees, growing up, straight and strong, but still able to grow around obstacles put in the way. But now, why don’t you two tell me a little about yourselves.”

“I’m Katara, of the Southern Water Tribe. After the raids the Fire Nation did against our Tribe, I was the only waterbender left in the whole village. We were planning on going to the North Pole to find a master there, but I guess we don’t have to do that now.”

“I’m Aang, and I’m the Avatar. I’ve spent the last hundred years frozen in an iceberg, but before that, I lived at the Southern Air Temple, where I mastered airbending. Um, I really appreciate this, Master Huu.”

“Oh, no need for that Master stuff. And Avatar, you say? I can’t say I know much about it, we don’t get out of the swamp much, and not many people try to come in. But if you want to learn about waterbending, I’ll do my best to teach you.”

Huu stretched, and something popped in his back. “Ooh, that feels better. Communing with nature is harder work than some people seem to think,” he explained, ignoring Due and Tho’s snickering. “Now, what say we head back to the village, and get these kids settled. Tho, Due, I’m riding back with you.”

--

“So, have you guys been attacked by the Fire Nation at all?” Sokka asked. Aang and Katara were off practicing with Huu, and Sokka had been left back at the village with the other tribesmen.

“Not much, not for the past few years,” Tho explained. “They can’t really do much here. The trees and plants are too wet for them to burn real easy, and they can’t get them fancy warships of theirs in the swamp without getting them stuck. We can sink the little boats pretty easy, and the swamp can usually take care of itself for the most part.”

“Wait, what?” Sokka asked with an upraised eyebrow.

“Didn’t Huu give you that whole big speech of his?” Sokka shook his head. “Huu says that the whole swamp is one big tree. I don’t know ‘bout the whole thing being one tree, but for the most part, he’s not far off. And something that big and that old has got a mighty big spirit. Long as we respect the swamp, the spirits don’t give us no problems. You go bargin’ in with no respect for nothing, and you’re in for a world of hurt.”

“So the swamp’s alive?”

“Course the swamp’s alive! Not really alive like me or you, but its sure got something goin’ on. I’ve seen people come in and get so turned around they never see their way out. Not to mention that people see things sometimes. Don’t right know what causes it, but people come into the swamp, don’t show it no respect, and they start seeing things. Huu explains it better than me, but I’ve seen Fire Nation troops come in, and all of a sudden they’re wanderin’ off, calling after people what aren’t there.”

“Whoa, that’s kinda scary, when you think about it.”

Tho slapped Sokka on the back. “Don’t worry kid, just stick with me, and I’ll keep you straight.”

--

“Two weeks of tracking down false leads, Uncle! Two weeks! We know the Avatar has been going north to find a waterbending master at the North Pole. So why in the world would the Avatar come here, of all places?” Zuko complained as he stood at the head of the steamer.

“Perhaps he felt this place would deter you from following him, Prince Zuko. Or perhaps this area has good natural mud baths.” Iroh suggested to him over a cup of tea, chuckling a bit at his own joke..

“Well, it won’t work. Nothing will stop me from capturing him, and regaining my honor,” Zuko vowed. Iroh said nothing, but his eyes clouded in thought behind his teacup.

--

“Hey Tho, we got some people down in the South End,” Due shouted as he made his way into camp.

“What’d they look like?” Tho prompted.

“Fire Nation, looked like. Real small group, though. Seemed like they were lookin’ for something, cause they weren’t burnin’ anything down or anything. They was kinda upset when I floated one of them big dead logs up from the bottom of the river and stuck it in the engine of that little boat of theirs.”

“Heh, that’s a good one Due. But I’m guessin’ we should go give ‘em a proper welcome. Sokka, come on, I’ll show you how we do things here in Foggy Swamp Country. Boh, you go get Huu.”

A scraggly looking boy shot up and ran off in the direction Huu had left with Katara and Aang that morning, and Sokka gathered his weapons. “Let’s go,” Sokka said, far more serious than normal.

--

Sokka, Due, and Tho all hunched in the bushes, waiting for the Fire Nation soldiers to pass. The sound of heavy footsteps grew louder, and Due had to put a hand on Sokka to keep him from running out and challenging the whole contingent himself.

“Shh, watch this.” Tho straightened as much as the cover would allow, and began moving his arms in circles, first small but growing larger. A vine snaked out slowly, creeping along the ground until it snagged the leg of one of the soldiers towards the middle of the line. The soldier went down, hard. He took the man in front of him with him, and the soldier behind him as well.

“Hold the line!” a slightly better armored soldier in the rear called.

“What? Why?” the armored figure at the head of the line snarled. He turned around quickly, seeing the three soldiers sprawled across the ground.

“It was a vine, Prince Zuko. It could happen to anyone in this area.” Iroh said, and Sokka had to suppress a gasp as he realized who it was. The helmet had kept him from recognizing Zuko, but now that Iroh was out in the open, Sokka knew whom he was up against. And he knew that Zuko’s men were good at what they did.

Two of the soldiers got up without trouble, but the third fell to one side as he pushed himself up. “Sprained ankle, sir,” the group’s medic declared after a moment of inspection.

“Lieutenant Jee, take a partner and get this man back to the steamer,” Iroh said, his voice taking on one of command. “And see if you can get him a good cup of tea. Use some of my reserve, if you have to.”

Then the river exploded.

A huge, hulking form made of twisting vines and plants dominated the sight of everyone present. The monster seemed only to have two arms and a body, with no head or feet, and the only thing resembling a face was marked by a plank of dead wood, hovering close to the middle of the body.

It swung one monstrous arm out, scattering the soldiers. Several were hit, and knocked into the river. The other arm reared back, and shot forward, slamming into the unfortunate Lieutenant Jee. The arm carried him back, pinning him against a tree.

Zuko recovered his wits first, and shot a blast of fire at their attacker. A chunk of the monster’s shoulder was burned, but just as Zuko prepared to shout an order, the damage healed easily. A grimace pulled across his face, and Zuko gave the order. “Fall back! Everyone, back to the steamer!”

The soldiers quickly responded, sending ineffectual fire blasts at the monster, but covering themselves well. As soon as their comrades were pulled from the river, the soldiers were gone, retreating as fast as they could.

As soon as the soldiers were out of sight, the monster melted back into the water, much less violent then its appearance. Once it had disappeared, Huu walked out of the river, breathing heavy but unharmed.

“That was awesome!” Aang exclaimed as he floated down gently. Katara emerged from the brush on the other side of the river, and swam across.

“I’ve never even thought of doing anything like that, Huu,” Katara breathed. “I can’t wait to learn how to do that.”

--

“I do not believe you should be so hasty to return to the swamp, Prince Zuko,” Iroh advised once they had returned to their ship. “I could feel that the swamp is a place of spiritual concentration, and it seems to me that the spirits do not wish us to be present.”

“No! The spirits are not against me. I can’t believe that,” Zuko protested. “But even if they are, I will succeed. I must succeed.”

“I have no doubts as to any future success, Prince Zuko, but I fear you may be becoming too focused. You have not even visited Lieutenant Jee.”

“How is he?” Zuko asked quietly, slightly shamed.

“He will live,” Iroh allowed. “But he will likely be bedridden for the next week, and is not projected to recover fully for quite some time, more than a month. We were not prepared for such an encounter, Prince Zuko. Not you, and certainly not your men. Stay your hand, and plan, so that we will not take such a loss in the future. And perhaps before our next attack, the Avatar will have quelled such a vicious spirit.”

Zuko growled, but didn’t say anything as he stomped off towards Lieutenant Jee’s room.

--

“Alright kids, I think that’s enough for today,” Huu decided two days after the encounter with Zuko’s troops. “I’ve got something else for you today.”

Katara and Aang looked over at Huu, and let the water they were controlling drop back into the river. The waters shifted back and forth, and they both took several calming breaths, bringing themselves back to focus and settling the water. “What is it, Huu? A new waterbending technique?” Katara asked.

“Well, not really,” Huu admitted. “But it’s something that can lead to it.” Huu led them up from the waters of the swamp to the base of the great Banyan-Grove tree that dominated the skyline. Huu sat down in a hollow between two enormous roots. “This is where I achieved spiritual enlightenment, and first bent the water found in plants. That is what we’re going to work on. Sit down, and feel the connections. Stretch out your senses, and see what’s hidden.”

“I think I can feel it,” Katara whispered after nearly an hour of meditation. Huu opened his eyes and looked at her. “The water’s all around me. But I can’t touch it. It’s hovering there, out of reach, but I know it’s there.”

“Good, Katara. You’re very talented.” Huu glanced up at the sky, and found the sun was nearly hidden by the horizon. “We should be getting back to the village now. Don’t want to miss dinner.”

“Um, Huu, I don’t think we should move Aang.” Katara pointed at the young Avatar, who was glowing with a soft blue light. “It’s like when he goes into the Avatar state, but he’s just sitting there.”

“Hmm. He must be in some deeper meditation than I thought. You go on back to the village, and don’t worry; I’ll sit with him. Won’t be the first night I’ve missed dinner sitting out here,” Huu laughed, before sitting back down next to Aang.

Katara looking unsure, but obeyed. “Appa! Appa!” The great sky bison descended from the skies and landed with a booming thud. He groaned in contentment as Katara climbed up to the saddle, pausing to scratch behind his horn. “Alright Appa, back to the village. Yip yip!”

--

Zuko crawled down the side of the ship with the grace that spoke of years of practice and balance training. He settled silently into the smallest lifeboat and swiftly lowered it to the water. He fired the quiet engine and made for shore. He would capture the Avatar, no matter what.

He touched ground minutes later, and dragged the boat ashore. The sheathed dao swords were a comfortable weight on his back, and he had forgone his armor, desiring stealth above all.

The swamp air was thick and humid, and insects bit at Zuko’s skin. He increased the amount of heat was putting off until he was near boiling, and the biting ceased. The trails through the swamp were barely cleared, and twice Zuko found himself sinking into unstable earth. Cautiously, Zuko brought up the smallest flame he could in his hand to see. It was almost worse. The shadows cast by the light echoed around the trees, and the sounds of the swamp seemed to intensify.

Quick feet and luck saved Zuko as he leapt to the side. The flame in his hand intensified, and the light showed a catgator lunging for him once more. Zuko stumbled back in shock, but threw his fire at the catgator, his other hand going for his swords instinctively. Drawn in not even a second, and the catgator had a pair of twin slashes across its eyes. Zuko brought his leg down in an arcing kick that seared the catgator’s face. Moving deftly around the animal’s thrashing, Zuko sank his swords into the catgator’s belly, a fatal thrust.

Zuko waited a moment to make sure the catgator was truly dead before pushing it back into the water where the other predators could get at it easily, and cleaning his blades in the murky water. It was better than nothing, but he would have to service them when he returned to the ship. With the Avatar.

--

Iroh wasn’t sure what woke him, but he was as energized as if the sun were high in the sky, and not sunk far below the horizon. Perhaps a nice tea blend, to sooth old nerves, Iroh decided. Iroh made his way through the ship’s hallways, finding his way to the kitchen for the water needed to brew his tea. Once the water was collected, Iroh made his way back to his cabin. On the way, he paused, before assuring himself it was nothing. But something pushed at his senses, and Iroh pushed his way up to the deck. He made a show of checking the supplies before looking at the foreboding swamp.

And seeing the Fire Nation lifeboat speeding towards the shore.

“You foolish boy,” Iroh muttered, and speeding back to his cabin. Quickly throwing on more appropriate clothes, Iroh went back to the deck, and lowered himself into the second lifeboat. He cursed the spirits and his family for giving Zuko this task, and this obsession.

“I only hope I won’t be too late.”

--

Aang opened his eyes, and he was shocked. He was still in a swamp, that much was recognizable, but the Banyan-Grove Tree was gone, and the air had a different feel. Everything around him had a gritty feel, and nothing seemed as solid as it should be.

“Hello! Anyone there!” he called. “Katara! Huu!” His voice echoed hollowly. Aang jumped for the next patch of dry land, but fell far short, barely catching himself from smashing his face on a rock. “My bending doesn’t work…”

Aang looked around again, putting together the clues. “I’m in the spirit world. Why? And how?”

An irritated snort ruffled Aang’s clothes, and he froze. Aang peeked over his shoulder. An enormous, glowing blue dragon was curled behind him. Aang was sure it hadn’t been there before.

“Uh, hi? I’m the Avatar…and I don’t really know what I’m doing here…but if you didn’t try to eat me I’d really appreciate it!” he finished quickly, bowing his head and bringing it up to keep and eye on the dragon.

Another huff, and the spirit dragon’s whisker snaked out and touched Aang’s forehead. A flash of images. A flaming rock. The dragon. A man. The dragon soaring through the air, a rider perched behind the head.

“That was Avatar Roku!” Aang exclaimed. The dragon flared his nostrils, and burst of steam escaped. “Do you want me to go with you?” The head bent down, allowing Aang to clammer up the side.

“I’ve never rode a dragon before, do I need to say something special – Whoa!” The dragon pushed off the ground and was suddenly far above the treeline, and soaring faster than Aang could see. He had to shut his eyes to save them from the wind, and press his head against the dragon’s neck.

--

Zuko pushed through the swamp, eager to find the Avatar and get out. Flashes of movement at the edges of his vision made him jump, but when Zuko whirled around to face them, nothing presented itself.

So he was being followed. Watched. That wasn’t anything new. Zuko had been watched since he was born.

Zuko passed a tree thick with the growth of the ages, and came to a full stop. She was wearing a full dress robe, just like the last time he saw her. Long dark hair, pinned up gracefully. Pale skin, flawless and regal. Just like the last time he saw her.

“Mom…”

Zuko abandoned rational thought. He didn’t care that he was crashing through the branches and bushes, scratching his face and skin. He didn’t care he was slogging through waist high mud. The only thing that mattered was getting to her. He was getting closer. Close enough to touch her. His hand reached out as she turned.

And she was gone.

And the monster that had decimated his crew stood there.

--

Iroh tracked Zuko as far as he could, but minutes into the swamp, the trail disappeared. Iroh didn’t know if the water washed them away, or if Zuko was simply a greater master of stealth than Iroh had ever given him credit for, or if his own skills were slipping. But he did know that he was getting himself hopelessly lost. A quick look to the sky proved that the stars were hidden by the mist of the swamp and the leaves of the trees. But Iroh had been around for a long time, and knew better than to rely on a single method, so he was not truly without direction.

Iroh walked towards what he believed the center of the swamp to be for more than two hours. He paused and rested a moment, taking a pull from the waterskin he had barely remembered to bring. A fleeting movement caught his eye. A giggle echoed in his ears, coming from nowhere. A pale glowing form moved behind a tree.

Iroh was up and moving, pouring fire into his limbs, warming the muscles and demanding they move like they had a decade earlier. The small form disappeared again and again, as Iroh ran through the swamp, jumping over roots and dodging under branches.

The glowing form stopped moving, and sat upon a high branch, small legs swinging back and forth, to and fro. Iroh halted, his heart in his throat.

“No!” he shouted, fire in his voice. “You will not do this, spirits. You will not torture me so, not with my son! Leave him alone!”

The child-like spirit pushed itself up and disappeared around the trunk of the tree, and the chase was on again.

Iroh pushed on, tired of the spirit’s game, but knowing he had to play. He ran for more than ten minutes before the spirit stopped again, turning with a giggle, shifting into the man Iroh’s son became, the warrior who fell at Ba Sing Se.

“You protected me, father. Thank you,” Lu Ten said, and disappeared into ether.

Iroh fell to his knees, tears running down his cheeks, cursing the spirits and remembering the son he lost.

--

The wind stopped, and the intense motion calmed as Aang wrestled for control of his stomach.

“I don’t think I like riding dragons,” Aang grumbled woozily.

“It is not a wholly unpleasant experience, I assure you,” a wise and aged voice advised. “But you are right, travel through the Spirit World is not pleasant, especially the first time.”

Aang looked up and an old white-haired firebender stood in front of him, surrounded by open air and jagged rocks. “You’re Avatar Roku! You’re my past life.”

“Correct, young Avatar. I am impressed; you have found a good teacher, even in an unexpected source. Most of the world has forgotten about the Foggy Swamp, and even fewer know of the people who dwell there. I did not know myself, until you ventured there.”

“So I’m doing something no other Avatar has done? Cool!”

“Perhaps not, I do not know the entire history. But yes, you are the first Avatar within my knowledge to learn this style of waterbending. Different, certainly, but not inferior.”

Aang looked momentarily pensive. “So you’re able to watch me?” His face turned panicked. “Even in the bath?!”

“I assure you, I have not infringed on your privacy,” Roku said with a gentle chuckle. “No, the walls between your world and the Spirit World are thin in this place. Even thinner, given the coming solstice. It allows me to see certain things, but I am limited. Even so, it is more than I could have done elsewhere. We would likely not be talking, were you not in this place of spiritual balance. Tell your Master Huu the spirits thank him for his work.”

“Sure thing, Avatar Roku, but you can’t have brought me here just to tell me that, could you?”

Roku shook his head. “No, Aang, you are correct. I bear a message of great importance, knowledge that impacts both your world and the Spirit World.”

The landscape flashed around them, and a bright comet streaked across the night sky, beautiful and dangerous. “One hundred years ago, Fire Lord Sozin used the power of the comet to boost the strength of the Fire Nation and deal a devastating first blow against the other nations.”

“The Air Nomads…but that was a hundred years ago, what does that have to do with the war now?”

The landscape shifted again, showing a forest ablaze and men shadowed by the flames. “The comet is returning at the end of the summer, and Fire Lord Ozai plans to use it to finish the war, and by doing so, he will unbalance the world. You must defeat him before then, Aang.”

“But, Avatar Roku, I’m only beginning to learn waterbending, and I still have earth and fire to learn after that. How am I supposed to do that before the end of the summer?”

“Mastering the elements is something that takes years of dedication, Aang, and is not something that can be expected to be accomplished quickly, even under the best of situations. But it is still what is asked of you. The spirits will help you in the manner they are able, but you will have to work harder than you have ever before if you are to do this.

“You are the Avatar, Aang, and you have mastered the elements countless times before, in every manner of guise. This is just the next step on your journey. But the most important thing about journeys, is that they do not have to be walked alone.”

The world began to waver around them and Aang felt as if he were choking, unable to breath. “Don’t worry, Aang, I have faith in you,” Roku promised. “If you need my assistance, remember I am a part of you. You will find a way to speak with me.”

--

Zuko’s vision turned red as the spirit of the swamp stood in front of him. Fire roared to life in his lungs as steam and flame leapt from his mouth, sparks crackling on his knuckles. His fist drew back for a devastating blast of fire and chaos-

-and the spirit touched one of its not-hands to his stomach, and the life went out of Zuko.

Zuko pushed his head out of the muck, gasping for breath. The mask that was the spirit’s face seemed to stare through Zuko’s mind, deeper, intruding, until everything was laid-

“No! Get out, I won’t let you!” Zuko shouted, throwing his arms up in a block, trying to force the spirit away.

The spirit reached out with one arm, and a dripping vine extended to coil around Zuko’s midsection. Zuko was held by a silent, impossible strength, not crushing, but completely unyielding. He came even with the spirit’s face, and visions and feelings filled Zuko’s mind.

Desert. Beach. Bay. Meadow. Flood. Forest. Fire. Rain. Forest. Flood. Swamp.

Age. Something that didn’t have a mind, but still thought. A consciousness. One that was alien, totally and utterly, and was touching his.

Suddenly, Zuko was seeing the spirit, not as a bundle of vines, but as it truly was. It was vast, and it was powerful. It was something else, and it hurt his eyes to look, but he couldn’t look away, and it was just so big…

Reality snapped back. Zuko looked at the spirit’s face, and it was just a marked piece of wood again. But Zuko knew, and he could almost see…

No. He wasn’t going to look.

Then Zuko was drowning, fighting for air, struggling against a bond that simply wouldn’t move, and his vision was going black, and Zuko knew he felt something pop…

Air. Zuko gasped and reveled in it, until a moment later, and his stomach rebelled, vomiting up brown water and bile, making his throat burn.

Once he was able to see again, Zuko looked around and saw the swamp was behind him, and he was back on the beach he had landed his lifeboat on. A look to the east showed the sun starting to peek over the mountains. Zuko gathered himself and pushed the small boat back out on the water, making for the ship.

Zuko hooked the lines to the bow and stern and raised himself back to the deck. He climbed over the side, and saw his uncle sitting off to the side, a half-forgotten cup balanced on calloused fingertips, eyes clouded in thought.

“Prince Zuko,” Iroh said by way of greeting, not quite seeing his nephew.

“Uncle. As soon as the men are ready, have them make for the closest friendly port. Lieutenant Jee need the care, and we need to re-supply.”

--

Aang drifted into the village, spinning his glider closed as he neared the ground. Huu was awake, but Katara was barely sitting up and Sokka wasn’t even out of the hut yet.

“Um, guys, I think our problems just got a lot bigger."
MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 3rd, 2010, 5:05 am

Veeeery nice. Them being found so fast feels much better this way.

Also like the Zuko and Iroh parts. Poor Zuko^^
Kirai

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 3rd, 2010, 11:17 am

Also like the Zuko and Iroh parts. Poor Zuko^^
Well, not quite poor Zuko. Remember, this is early season 1 Zuko, and he's still an asshole. Definitely not the sympathetic villain of late season 2 or the angsty firebending teacher of season 3. Right now, he's the asshole who tore through the only means of protection the Southern Water Tribe had without a second thought, and then assaulted an old woman. Not a nice guy. Though that's going to change, and not for the reasons in canon. I think this is going to have far reaching consequences.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 3rd, 2010, 3:38 pm

Well, not quite poor Zuko. Remember, this is early season 1 Zuko, and he's still an asshole. Definitely not the sympathetic villain of late season 2 or the angsty firebending teacher of season 3. Right now, he's the asshole who tore through the only means of protection the Southern Water Tribe had without a second thought, and then assaulted an old woman. Not a nice guy. Though that's going to change, and not for the reasons in canon. I think this is going to have far reaching consequences.

MrRigger
Hey, even assholes can be poor suckers. Sometimes the amount of asshole is directly proportional to the amount of poor bastard a person suffers from.

I would say Zuko qualifies there. Of course, he's still an asshole. But hopefully he will recover from that.
Kirai

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 3rd, 2010, 5:04 pm

Zuko won't be an asshole forever, but he certainly has a little more left in him. And I never said Zuko didn't have reasons for being the way he is, just that he is.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 3rd, 2010, 6:53 pm

Zuko won't be an asshole forever, but he certainly has a little more left in him. And I never said Zuko didn't have reasons for being the way he is, just that he is.

MrRigger
Point one, good.

Point two, also good^^

Point three... yeah I agree.

Hurry and write more. *joking*
Kirai

Unread postby DIT_grue » March 4th, 2010, 12:17 am

A very promising start. I enjoyed reading it, and didn't spot any problems.
DIT_grue

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 7th, 2010, 2:21 am

Alright, here's the next part. I'm not quite happy with this part, and I don't feel it's all that interesting. It's all set up for other things that I couldn't fit in here without doubling the length of the chapter. Let me know what you think.
“I must admit, Prince Zuko, I did not think you would leave so easily. Not with such a good lead on the Avatar. Not that I disapprove,” Iroh hastily amended.

“‘Only a fool attacks a dragon in his den’,” Zuko quoted quietly.

“Usually it is me who is quoting proverbs at you, Prince Zuko. It is good to know some of my lessons have stuck. But I have to wonder, what did you find that prompted this retreat?” Iroh probed gently.

“Please leave me be, Uncle Iroh. I need to meditate.” The exhaustion in Zuko’s voice took Iroh by surprise.

“Well, if that is what you wish. But whenever you feel like talking, come find me.” Iroh looked around the room. “And it’s much too dark in here. It can’t be good to strain your eyes so, Prince Zuko.” Iroh reached over and pinched a candle wick alight. He gave Zuko an unreadable look, and shut the door to the cabin.

With his room lit by a single candle, Zuko turned his attention inward.

--

Sokka waited, holding himself in a crouch that hid him behind a root. A twig cracked on the other side, and Sokka stopped breathing. A clawed paw stepped into view, followed by a shaggy brown head, bill jutting out and lined with sharp teeth.

Sokka thrust out with his spear, catching the platypus bear in the throat as it swung its head around to face the young warrior. The spear grinded across the platypus bear’s spine, and Sokka pulled back for another thrust as the spear met resistance. Sokka sank the spear in the fleshy spot behind the front right limb. The platypus bear roared in pain, and swiped at Sokka.

Sokka dodged back, scrapping himself against the tree bark. He hissed in pain, but drew his whale-bone machete anyway. The weapon sank into the platypus bear’s shoulder, and Sokka could feel the heavy weapon crack bone. The predator roared once more, collapsed to the ground.

“Good job, Sokka. That thing was eatin’ up all the good fishin’ spots,” Due said.

Tho whistled as he saw the dead animal. “Yep, that’s a big ‘un. You’ve been doin’ a lot of huntin’ here lately though, Sokka. You might want to slow it on down. Don’t want to wear yourself out.”

Sokka sighed and helped Tho and Due lug the carcass over to the skiff. “I just don’t have anything else to do. The village doesn’t have warriors like the Southern Water Tribe, so I can’t train with them, and Katara and Aang are always off practicing with Huu. I know you guys don’t really need warriors, since you can pretty much all waterbend, and you aren’t really attacked at all, and my friends need to be off training, but it really leaves me as the odd man out.”

“So why don’t you go fishin’?” Due suggested.

Sokka turned a dull look at the Foggy Swamp native. “The last time I went fishing, I hooked a koi fish nearly as large as me, and I was dragged around a lake for more than an hour. I ended up having to beat it to death with my club. And then I had to listen to Aang give me a speech about how all life is sacred and he’s a vegetarian.”

“Yeah, I can see how that would turn you off fishin’ a bit,” Tho grimaced.

“Besides, hunting seems to be the only way I can keep my fighting skills from getting rusty. It may be safe here, but once Aang learns waterbending, we’re going to be out in the war again. I can’t forget that.”

--

Huu, Katara, and Aang all stood in the knee-deep water at the foot of the Banyan Grove tree waiting for the signal. “Remember Aang, this is waterbending only. No airbending,” Huu reminded his student.

“Right, I’ll try not to,” Aang promised.

A screaming bird called, and Katara spun, pushing a wave towards Huu. Huu shifted the wave’s energy around him, pushing it around to attack Aang. Aang pulled the energy apart, splitting the wave and letting it die out behind him.

A water whip flicked at Huu’s chest, and on the second strike, Huu seized control of the water and pulled Katara off balance before pulling the water up around Aang, slowing the boy’s motions.

Katara stumbled to a stop, and shifted her feet, pulling a column of ice up from the river. She ran her hand in a circle over the top once, and thrust forward. Chunks of ice the size of a leechi nuts shot through the air, pelting Huu. He ignored them, calling up a wall of water, turning it to ice, and kicked it towards Katara.

Katara was able to turn it to water before it reached her, but was still bowled over by the water as it slammed into her chest.

Aang spun the water around him up, covering his body like a suit of armor and threw a pair of water whips at Huu. Huu moved between him, pushing more water up and around Aang, overwhelming his protection and smothering him. A column of water smacked Aang out of the river and left him coughing on the bank.

Huu spun to face Katara again, and spun between her water blasts. Closer and closer he came, until he was within arm’s reach. Then he thrust his arms up to the sky, and Katara was lifted out of the water, covered in a thick layer of mud. Huu’s arms went down and out from his body, and all the water in the mud was pulled out, leaving Katara trapped by dry earth.

Aang recovered shortly after that, and saw what Huu had done. “Wow Huu, that’s almost like you were earthbending! Are you going to teach me how to do that?”

“I was planning on it. You might want to be careful about who you use it on though, as the earth isn’t usually as strong as normal rock, and it won’t hold an earthbender for a second.”

“Thanks for the warning, Huu,” Katara said sweetly. “Now get me out of here!”

--

“Commander Zhao, what a pleasure to see you again,” Iroh greeted as the naval officer made his way up the gangplank.

“It’s Admiral Zhao. I was promoted several weeks ago,” Zhao ground out behind gritted teeth.

“Oh, my apologies, Admiral. I’m afraid I don’t keep my ear in the military gossip like I once did. Would you care for some tea?”

“No, General Iroh, I wouldn’t. Where is Prince Zuko?”

“I’m right here, Zhao,” Zuko announced as he exited the belly of the ship. “What do you want?”

“I’m here for your crew. I’m ordering them under my command.”

Zuko’s hand shot to the swords on his back. “What makes you think you have the right?”

“I have orders from the Fire Lord himself,” Zhao answered with a nasty smirk. “Because of my success here in the southern theater, my plan to attack the North Pole has been approved, and I have been granted authority to divert all non-essential personnel. And your crew qualifies.”

“Well, we certainly would be willing to accompany you,” Iroh said before Zuko could speak.

“That won’t be necessary, General Iroh,” Zhao said. “I have a cruiser waiting to transport the men.”

“Nonsense, Admiral Zhao. Our ship can easily outpace a cruiser, so we won’t have any problems keeping up, and the men won’t have to be uprooted and move to a new ship, only to return in the near future. Besides, we had been planning on moving north anyway. Not to mention you won’t have to worry about overcrowding the cabins or any of the other logistical nightmares that might arise because of a sudden influx of new transfers. Unless there was some other reason…?”

Zhao gritted his teeth. He had been hoping to cripple Zuko’s search for the Avatar. “No. We sail at dawn. That is all.”

--

Huu smiled at Katara and Aang as they sat amongst the roots of the Banyan Grove tree at sunset. “You two have been some of the best students I’ve seen in a long time. It’s a shame you’re not going to be able to stay longer. Unfortunately, we’re on a deadline, so that’s not really possible.”

Huu stood up quickly and placed a hand on Katara’s shoulder. “Katara. You have the heart and soul of a waterbending master. You might not know every form out there, but you know the principles and I look forward to the day you return to show me your innovations.”

Huu moved next to Aang. “You’re going to make a great Avatar, kid. You’re still young, but as long as you remember what I’ve taught you, listen to the world around you, and pay attention to what Katara teaches you, you’ll be ready for the problems you face.”

The guardian of the swamp sat back down and placed a box of scrolls in front of Katara. “These will help you teach Aang, and continue your own training. There’re several that are older than me, so be careful with them, but a few that I wrote myself. Maybe one day you’ll be able to contribute to them yourself.”

“Thank you, Master Huu,” Katara and Aang said as one.

“What’d I tell you about that Master stuff, huh? Just come back and visit us sometime, and we’ll call it even.”

They laughed, and made their way back to the village. Sokka was there, paying attention to the cook as he described what was going into the stew.

“Hey Sokka, we’re going to have to leave tomorrow. Huu said we were done learning from him, so we need to find Aang an earthbending teacher as soon as possible,” Katara announced.

“Aw, man, I just finished tracking down the den of this Gopher Bear, too.”

“Why do we need to find an earthbending teacher?” Aang asked. “I can just learn from Bumi.”

“Uh, Aang, I wouldn't go getting your hopes up about that," Sokka warned.

Aang just shot him a confused look.

--

Appa soared across the sky, landing in Omashu, where they were swiftly surrounded by armed guards.

“See Aang, I told you just flying into the city was a bad idea. I know that you’ve been here before, but flying bison haven’t been around for a hundred years. Anything that just flies into the city is going to attract attention,” Sokka complained.

“Alright Sokka, you told me already, I’ll remember for next time,” Aang promised.

The trio was escorted to King Bumi, and the guards nearly pinned everyone to the walls when Aang rushed up to give Bumi a hug. Sokka could only shake his head in exasperation.

“Aang, it’s good to see you, but what are you doing back? I haven’t sent you my letter yet. At least, I don’t think I did,” Bumi mused.

“Huu said he didn’t have anything else to teach me right then, and that I should learn from Katara for now. So we decided to come back here so you can get started teaching me earthbending,” Aang explained.

“Aang, I can’t be your earthbending teacher,” Bumi said sadly. “Teaching the Avatar is something that would require my full attention, and I cannot abandon my people like that.” Before Aang could protest, Bumi continued. “No Aang, I would not ask you to abandon the people you love in a time of need, and you should not ask me the same thing. However, before you get angry with me, there is another situation that needs your attention. I’ve received word the Fire Nation is planning an all out assault against the North Pole.”

“No…” Aang gasped.

“The monsters,” Katara snarled.

“We won’t let them,” Sokka vowed heatedly.

“I felt that you would feel that way. The Fire Nation cannot be allowed to throw the world even further out of balance. The loss of the Southern Water Tribe benders is devastating enough, the Northern Tribe cannot be lost, or the balance of the world will be irrevocably destroyed.”

“We’ll set out right away,” Aang said, and turned to bolt out of the chamber and towards Appa.

“Hold on, Aang. I plan on supplying you with what you will need to make it to the North Pole. I will also be sending a contingent of Earth Kingdom soldiers to assist the North Pole. Quartermaster, make sure they have everything they need.”

One of the men standing beside Bumi’s throne bowed and walked out of a side door. Sokka spoke up. “King Bumi, I think I’m going to need all the information about this attack and the Fire Nation you have. Even if we make great time going to the North Pole, it’s still going to take about ten days. I can’t just sit up on Appa and think about this for that long. If I have some information, if I have some way I can plan, I won’t feel so useless.”

“I understand, Sokka. The commander will get you want you need.”

“Thank you sir,” Sokka said sincerely. “And if you could get a message to my father, Chief Hakoda, I’m sure the Southern Tribe Warriors will want to protect the Northern Tribe as well.”

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 7th, 2010, 1:09 pm

It works well enough.

I was somewhat surprised though. I assumed you would let the northpole burn.

It would have made some sense and caused some drama. Also could have given Zuko a reason to change his way. And Zuko Yue romance because that is so very very interesting(even if I just imagined it possible after reading Damascus^^)
Kirai

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 7th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Well, I seriously thought about letting the North Pole burn, but then I realized that that would mean there would be almost no waterbenders left, and it would be like the massacre of the Air Nomads all over again. The Fire Nation would be completely irredeemable, and frankly, while I don't mind killing people off, I don't want to commit genocide. I'm not quite that mean. However, that doesn't mean things will happens as in canon, for instance, we have advance warning this time around.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby LightLink17 » March 7th, 2010, 10:54 pm

Why don't you have them find out about the invasion of the North Pole some other way? Because as is, it's starting to look like quests in a video game. Aang and his party get a quest to learn waterbending from Bumi. They do so, come back, and get the "save the north pole" quest.

Why not have them learn of the invasion from actually encountering the fleet on its way to the North Pole? If they ran into a large fleet of ships all heading North, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out what's going on.

Also, I personally would like the North to be conquered (it's more interesting!). You don't have to have the fire nation kill all the northern Waterbenders. They didn't do that to the Southern ones, they just captured them. So once Aang won in the end they'd all be free, at the very latest. You could actually go ahead and have Aang and co go out to try and break the captured waterbenders out of prison once they figure out what happened.
LightLink17

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 8th, 2010, 1:14 am

Double post, sorry, but I wanted to get this out before I went to bed.
“I don’t like this Uncle,” Zuko raged. “Why did we agree to follow Zhao? He’s working against me, and you know it!”

“I agree, Prince Zuko. It is my opinion that Zhao is not fit for his position. He does not value his soldier’s lives enough to be a truly great leader. However, if we had fought Zhao on this, we would have been left alone with the Wani, and our crew would have been under Zhao’s command. Now, we can prevent Zhao from needlessly sacrificing their lives and hampering your search for the Avatar.”

“It still doesn’t sound like a good plan,” Zuko grumbled. “The North Pole has stood against attacks for a hundred years. We’ll be able to break them, with as many ships as Zhao’s commandeered, but we’re going to take heavy losses.”

Iroh placed his hand on Zuko’s shoulder. “I know your feelings on Zhao’s type of tactic. However, it shows me that you have the heart of a true Fire Nation Prince. You care for your people, no matter what. That is what truly matters. And you must keep that in mind, when you are attempting to save your people from Zhao’s stupidity.”

“Thank you, Uncle.”

--

BOOM!!

Aang stuck his head over the side of Appa, and snapped the reins. “Appa, get down there, right now!” Appa shifted into a dive as Aang dove towards the ground.

Sokka scrambled up to the front and grabbed Appa’s reins as Katara leaned over the side. “Sokka, someone blew up a dam!” she cried over the rushing winds.

“On it!”

Aang rocketed towards the earth, landing on the town wall. “Everyone!” he shouted, voice carried by his airbending. “The dam broke, and the water’s coming! Get out of here!” Aang spun and shot a huge blast of air towards the onrushing water before jumping forward to meet it.

Appa swept down and Katara jumped off. Sokka bolted towards the town, as Appa filled his enormous lungs. A moment later, and Appa exhaled, a violent gust struck the coming wave, splitting it around the air blast.

Katara and Aang moved in unison, pushing hard at the wave, and two large sections froze, but the water moved around it and cracked the ice. “Appa!” Aang called. “Go help the village!”

Katara spun again and thrust forward and out, her ice tower thickening and strengthening. Mist and water sprayed her, soaking her to the bone as she moved forward again.

Sokka climbed the wall outside the village and shouted. “Any Earthbenders, strengthen this wall! Close off any entrances on this side of the village, and make the whole thing taller,” he ordered, and five or six of the villagers splashed through the rapidly washing water. Sokka nearly fell as the wall shuddered and grew. “That’s great! Now, we need to sink a trench around the village,” he continued, and the earthbenders rose the top of the wall on earthen pillars. They bounded across the wall and jumped off the other side, and bent the ground as they landed.

Appa landed in the center of town, and roared as several men in Fire Nation armor boosted children onto his flanks. The children pulled at his fur as they scrambled into the saddle, and Appa nearly blew the men off their feet as he took off.

Katara panted as she pushed her chi into the water, freezing it, connecting her ice wall to Aang’s. She pulled her way up the wall, her fingers sinking into the ice to give her handholds. The water sheeted over the top, and Katara skated down to the end of the dam, and froze a path to the shore, connecting the dam and blocking the water’s flow. She took a deep breath, and swallowed hard. She waved Aang’s concern off, pointing him at the village. “I’ll be fine, help them.” Glancing at the water still pouring over the top of the dam, Katara got back to work.

Sokka leapt from the wall to the nearest roof and jumped to the ground from there. A cry for help caught his ear, and he charged over to the next street. The knee-deep water had pinned an old man in red robes to the wall by an overturned cart. Sokka pulled the cart back a few inches, and the man shimmied out. “Come on, old timer, I’ve got you.”

--

The villagers and the gang stood at the edge of the woods. A man in Fire Nation armor and an open face helmet walked over to Aang. “Back off, we’re not going anywhere,” Sokka warned with a hand on his sheathed boomerang.

The man held up his hands, non-threatening. “No, I don’t want the Avatar. I want to thank you.”

“What are you talking about?” Katara snapped. “You’re Fire Nation, of course you want to take him.”

The man scowled. “You three helped save my town, and everyone who lives there. I can’t even imagine what it would have been like if you hadn’t been here.”

“It’s not your town, it’s the Earth Kingdom’s,” Katara argued.

The man’s face turned thunderous. “I may be Fire Nation by blood, but that is my home. I was born there, I was raised there, and spirits willing, I’ll die there. This area has been under Fire Nation rule since Azulon took the field, long before I was born. True, Fire Nation presence was increased when a supply route was changed a few years back, but the Earth Kingdom hasn’t had troops here in decades. So when bandits and rebels try to assault the people and destroy the village, I’m the one in charge of defending them. And I do it because this is my home, and if you have a problem with that, you can get out. Right now.”

“Fine! We will!” Katara shouted. “Let’s go Aang.” She stomped off in anger, muttering under her breath the whole way.

Sokka and Aang stared at her, Sokka pensive and Aang befuddled. Aang bowed his head at the Fire Nation officer. “We’re sorry for what happened here, and we’re happy we could keep it from being any worse.”

A small child tugged at the officer’s hand. “Dad, when are we going to get to go back home?”

The officer grabbed the green-eyed boy and held him on his hip. “I don’t know son, but I’ll make sure it happens as soon as possible.”

“Aang? Sokka? We’re leaving,” Katara called from Appa’s saddle.

Aang looked apologetically at the officer, but bounded off without another word. Sokka paused, and said, “You need your earthbenders to shore up the ice. I don’t know how long it’ll last, but that’s the first thing. Then you want them to deepen the trench around the village, for added insurance and guidance. Get all the water out into the streets, and then drain it, or else you’ll be twice as long drying everything out.”

The officer’s face was stony. “Thank you. My superiors will just hear word of a group of rogue waterbenders that helped save the town. We pursued, but had to fall back to take care of the civilians. We think they headed to the south.”

“Thank you, sir.” Sokka bowed and ran off, climbing up to Appa’s saddle. Katara barked the command, and the flying bison rocketed towards the sky.

Unnoticed by all, the watching teen stalked off in anger.

--

“I still don’t know why we have to camp so close to that town,” Katara said.

“Appa really needed the rest and food, and like I told you, so we can help if they really need it,” Aang answered. “And those people almost lost everything they owned. Even if they are Fire Nation, I’m the Avatar, and I’m supposed to help them.”

“Besides, Katara, that guy didn’t really deserve what you said to him. He was just worried about his people, and wanted to thank us. He even told me he wasn’t going to tell the other Fire Nation people he saw Aang,” Sokka reasoned.

“He’s Fire Nation, Sokka, do you really think he told you the truth?” Katara shot back.

“Yeah, I do! I don’t trust the Fire Nation either, but he was telling the truth. Think about it, Katara. If he told the rest of the army about Aang, he’d probably be pulled away from the village. He had a family there, Katara, and I don’t care if you are Fire Nation, a father isn’t going to abandon his kids if he doesn’t have to.”

“Dad did!”

“No he didn’t! Dad had to leave to keep the Fire Nation away from our home, to keep them from raiding us all the time. You know we couldn’t have lasted another season like that. That guy? I don’t think he’s going to leave that village ever again, not unless something major happens.”

“Guys, don’t fight,” Aang pleaded. “Wait, did you hear that?”

“Don’t try to distract me, Aang, I’ve got something to tell Sokka…” Katara warned.

“No, I hear it too,” Sokka confirmed.

“I told you we couldn’t trust that guy,” Katara said as she grabbed her waterskin.

A figure dove out of the trees, and Katara snapped out with a water whip. Two more figures followed close behind. Sokka let fly with Boomerang, and it found the largest figure’s head.

The group landed, and the leader dashed at Katara. “You ruined everything!” he snarled, and swiped with his left sword.

Katara deflected it with an arc of water. “What are you talking about?”

“We were going to wipe out the Fire Nation from this valley for good, and you ruined it!” Two more sword strikes, and Katara found herself backing into the woods.

“That village wasn’t just Fire Nation, there were a lot of Earth Kingdom people too,” Katara gasped, the back of her hand opening up with the swordsman’s last strike.

“Sometimes innocent people die in war. And besides, they were harboring the Fire Nation!” He clamped his mouth shut, and pressed the attack.

--

Sokka stared at the huge teen in front of him. Boomerang had split his forehead, but other than the blood pouring from the wound, he seemed fine. “I don’t suppose we can talk about this, could we?” he ventured, voice rising in pitch.

“No way,” the teen said, and pulled a thick club from behind his back.

“Yeah, I didn’t think so.” Sokka pulled his club, and started inching towards the spot Boomerang fell.

--

“Why are you attacking us?” Aang shouted as he jumped away from the savage girl’s attack. “I don’t want to fight you.”

“You messed up our plans,” the girl answered. “Jet didn’t appreciate it.”

“Yeah, well I don’t appreciate you attacking us,” Aang replied, and shot a gust of wind at the girl.

“All I know is that you protected those Fire Nation soldiers, and that’s good enough for us.”

The girl dove forward, slashing her two swords in front of her. Aang jumped over the girl, and sent a gust of wind at her back that made her stumble forward several steps. She whipped around and glared at Aang a moment before going on the offensive once more.

Aang let her charge, and with two wind-assisted leaps, Aang was back atop a sleeping Appa. Aang grabbed Katara’s spare waterskin, and tapped twice on Appa’s head. “Wake up buddy, we gotta go.”

The girl was on top of him once more, and Aang blew her away with a burst of air, followed by a globe of water. The air sent the girl spinning into a tree, and the water wrapped around her, freezing her face-first to the trunk.

--

Sokka and the teen eyed each other, each readying their weapons. Finally, the teen charged, swinging his club at Sokka’s head.

Only Sokka wasn’t there anymore. He ducked down, and dashed for Boomerang. He shifted his club to his off hand, and grabbed his favorite weapon. Sokka rolled, and the other teen’s club thudded against the dirt. Sokka spun, and tossed Boomerang. His opponent shifted his head, and the Water Tribe weapon spun past him harmlessly.

“I’m not going to fall for that one twice,” he said in a low voice.

“Oh yeah?” Sokka asked, blocking the teen’s next strike with a two-handed grip on his club.

THUNK!

The teen collapsed, and Sokka grabbed Boomerang from the air. “You always come back to me, don’t you buddy,” he cooed at the weapon.

--

Katara dashed through the trees, branches scratching at her exposed arms. She could hear her pursuer’s footsteps behind her, cracking dry twigs. Obviously, he wasn’t going for stealth anymore.

“You aren’t going to lose me,” he called. “I know these woods better than anyone alive, so you might as well stop running.”

Katara drew some water out, and it formed ice spikes that flew at his voice, but she heard them crack and break against his block.

“That’s not going to do anything to me.” He thudded to a stop behind her, just as Katara’s hands hit a cliff. “And you’re out of room to run.”

“Yeah, well I don’t need to run anymore. I have you right where I want you.” Katara raised her hands, and pushed them at Jet. The low tree branches that had been moving in the wind sprang to life, battering him as much as they could without breaking. Jet defended as best he could, but there were too many attacks at once. He spun to deflect a thick branch, and Katara moved, throwing a globe of water at him, covering him in ice, leaving only his head exposed.

“I’m not like you. I’m not going to kill you, like you came her to kill us,” Katara said. “Sokka and Aang won’t have hurt your other two men too badly, so they’ll be able to get you out of this once they find you. But I’m warning you now. Don’t track us. Don’t try to find us. And don’t try anything like you did today again. Or I’ll find you.”

--

Aang had blown the fire down to ash, and Sokka had hastily thrown their gear on Appa’s back. “Katara, you’re hurt,” Sokka said immediately, seeing her face and arms covered in scratches.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine,” she waved off his concern. “None of its deep. Let’s get moving before these guys get a second wind.”

“Alright Katara, if you say so,” Aang agreed. “Yip yip!”
Next time, the North Pole. Or at least some of it. And yes, I took the name for Zuko's ship from the fic Embers, and yes, I got permission. It means alligator, or sea monster in general. Appropriate for a ship that opens at the front and looks very much like a set of jaws when doing so.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 8th, 2010, 4:40 am

I really don't like Katara's and Sokkas reaction to the fire nation soldier.

From what I remember of Season one it's the other way around. Sokka utterly distrustfull of the firenation, while Katara is one to approach the matter more rationaly.

However, I might be wrong and have to look at season one again, before I make any final judgement on that.

So no blaming embers for creating fanon just yet^^

As for the rest, nice work. And absolutely in character.
Kirai

Unread postby LightLink17 » March 8th, 2010, 4:51 am

I agree that both Katara and Sokka are out of character, but not that they're reversed. Neither character has ever hated Fire Nation for being Fire Nation. And in "Jet" neither Katara or Sokka found any sympathy with Jet, and both considered the inhabitants of the town as innocents, fire nation or not. They treated it basically as just another town.
LightLink17

Unread postby MrRigger2 » March 8th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Well, I'm not so sure they're quite as out of character as you may think. Sokka and Katara are different individuals, and react to stressful situations very differently. Sokka is a goofy kind of guy, except when he's thinking about fighting the Fire Nation. Then his logical and tactical mind go into overdrive and he makes the kind of leaps that should astound and amaze. Katara, on the other hand, is ruled by her emotions. That's not a bad thing, but it does mean that she doesn't think things through when stress runs high. And I'd say a flood is pretty damn stressful.

However, the tensions are running deeper, because of the situation. They've known that the Fire Nation plans to attack and destroy the Northern Water Tribe. Considering this is something that would hit very close to home for both of them, I'd say they were having fairly extreme reactions. As I've said, when it comes to solving a problem, be it something like a war balloon, how to find a gas leak, or how to fight a battle, Sokka gets serious, and makes intuitive leaps that have a shocking amount of accuracy. And he's been in problem solving mode for five days, trying to figure out a way to stop the Fire Nation fleet. And so, he's able to recognize the man for what he is at that moment, a concerned father and leader.

Katara, however, is much the opposite. She hasn't been planning out a fight, as she already knows what she's going to do. She's a master waterbender, she's going to waterbend the hell out of some Fire Nation ships. She doesn't need to plan much further, because she tends to jump for her bending as the solution to the problems. That's not wrong, but it does mean that all she's going to be doing is stewing on her thoughts. Specifically, the thoughts that are about Fire Nation being complete monsters due to their planned attack. Going over and over like that, she's getting more and more upset. So when she sees a man in full Fire Nation armor, she reacts violently.

Had they been traveling as normal, taking a break for a while every day, they would have had much less extreme reactions. Sokka would have been much more paranoid, and Katara would have been more accepting. But they've been traveling non-stop. They're tired, stressed out, and at their respective extremes.

But even with those mitigating factors, I think they're much closer to canon than some would think. Sokka is more willing to admit he's wrong than Katara. Even if they may not show it in words all the time, they do show it in action. Sokka is a great deal more willing to humble himself and admit mistakes. In the Warriors of Kyoshi Island, the third episode, Sokka admits he has things to learn from Suki and the other girls, despite degrading their talents earlier. He also humbles himself when presenting himself to Piandao. By contrast, when Katara is denied Pakku's teachings, she reacts by insulting Pakku's culture, his tribe's traditions, and challenging him to a duel. She never really apologizes, either, if I remember correctly. So when confronted by a Fire Nation soldier that doesn't fit their prejudices and assumptions, Sokka is much more willing to revise his opinions than Katara.

All that said, I didn't really like the section, and will likely be revising it.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Kirai » March 8th, 2010, 7:00 pm

The problem with your explanation. And I think with embers too. Is that you have to explain it. The fact that you need a justification out of the story is the problem.

If we could see the lead up to that, it would probably go over much smoother and be more belivable.

All we have seen here was: ok they are traveling. And then Katara blows up. Out of nowhere. She's suddenly utterly bitchy. I could accept Sokka in his reaction alone on merit of the fire nation soldier helping evacuate the kids. But Katara? Just total suprise reaction.
Kirai

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop