Writing Milestones

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Writing Milestones

Unread postby Nasdaq » March 17th, 2010, 6:54 pm

So, what sort of writing milestones have you achieved? I just finished Part 1 of a fic, capping out just over 70,000 words in 13 Chapters, plus a prologue and two interlude chapters. This more or less is the Prologue for the rest of the story, and I'm a bit happy that I actually finally managed to finish it up.

So what about you guys?
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Re: Writing Milestones

Unread postby Dervon » March 18th, 2010, 11:49 am

Ninja Quest. I dunno what all my blocks of text add up to (in particular the info-dumps), but when you put it all together it's the longest I've ever typed on a single idea. And it'll get longer when I get off my ass and start updating again.

:nom_nom:
Dervon

Unread postby Kirai » March 18th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Hmm that would be my first 10k + chapter I managed to write...

I mean, that isn't all that much, especially since I could split the chapter at a few points. But I think it stands pretty well as a whole^^

I'm fairly proud I managed it. Also that I managed it in under a week^^
Kirai

Unread postby gman391 » March 18th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Well I've gotten my first flame. Written more than 30K words on one story. And started one rewrite.
(The Second will happen as soon as that Muse of mine learns who's boss! :punch maybe not)
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Kirai » March 18th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Ooh a flame, wish I had one, only positive reviews so far...

Can you post it?
Kirai

Unread postby gman391 » March 18th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Err let me look...it's been awhile.
2009-06-15 . chapter 1
Started good, ended being a ** **. Jin or whatever those mary sue characters you created story was useless. The guy looked like a ** granny, that's it. Two, we've seen nothing done to Ino for 'attacking a konoha shinobi. She should get beaten the hell out of her fangirl useless self. Kyuubi fate shouldn't have come to light. A lone strong Naruto trained by old school without idiotic friends would have being cool. Now he looks like a whiny ** and this is starting to look more and more like a fluff story full of Naruto and his little firends. ** this **
This in a fic where I had Naruto kill the demon bro's using explosives. And most of the older ones being real ninjas though. And they weren't mary sues. They were vicious horrible people who happen to be doing nice things for Naruto. The Ino complaint was valid though. I have no idea where the last bit came from though.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Darkandus » March 18th, 2010, 5:15 pm

And the moral of the story is there are people who will complain about everything.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Calinero » March 18th, 2010, 7:02 pm

I recently completed my first story of any real length, which was also my first novel. Clocked in at nearly 60,000 words, which was a new record for me. working now on a fanfic.
Last edited by Calinero on June 3rd, 2010, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calinero

Unread postby Nasdaq » March 18th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Ninja Quest. I dunno what all my blocks of text add up to (in particular the info-dumps), but when you put it all together it's the longest I've ever typed on a single idea. And it'll get longer when I get off my ass and start updating again.

:nom_nom:
I really wish people would pay attention more to DarkBlackVoidQuest, as I have such a story to tell and want to see how people react and guide their little character in it.

Also recently finished the second chapter of my first novel, so that's nice.
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Unread postby Magnificate » March 18th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Single one-shot Naruto fanfic. The one work of mine written in English that is suitably polished.
Magnificate

Unread postby Calinero » March 18th, 2010, 9:17 pm

I pay attention to BlackVoidQuest. I'm waiting for an update there, actually--I wanna know what the heck we are in that game! It's fun.

Not sure if this counts as a milestone, but the novel I mentioned previously was a first person endeavor with not that many well developed characters. I currently have an idea for another story, and this one I plan to feature more of an ensemble cast, and be written in third person. I guess that's a bit of a milestone.
Calinero

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » March 19th, 2010, 5:37 pm

First serious original work: my 2007 NaNo novel. I haven't finished it, but it did get me started on writing properly, so I still consider it a success. Also, I think the rewrite I'm planning to do of this could be genuinely awesome.

I also consider "The Two Of Us" to be a milestone in fanfic, since it is a) the first fanfic I'm likely to finish, even if it is only a oneshot collection and b) making me really think about characterisation, and if I ever do try one of those For Want Of A Nail ideas in the future, that'll come in handy.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Kirai » June 2nd, 2010, 8:18 am

Squeee! Got my first flame! Well kinda I think, it's just so totaly negative badly written and completely misses the point!^^
Would have been better to split the chapters into individual chapter and not a running constant chapters like you have.

Why the heck Sakura adrinking /drunk or whatever. That very out of character for Sakura. You have you own character named Sakura and not even the cannon character either.

Secondly...there is no way or even purpose for Sakura to be working with Manadara. She loyal to Kohona. Period. She wouldn't join any other because of Naruto her promise to Naruto.

So this story is bleh the way you have Sakura drunk and working or Manadara because no reason for to be so in the beginning, middle or ending of any story. You seriously need to look at Sakura's character, if you had any inkling. She would work for anyone else other than Kohona, nor will she not drink alchol because of her sensei. Period.

To be honest...why would anyone read this story in the first place when all the characters are not even the same character. Just in name and appearance, nothing more. You have completely substituted with your own version of the "Sakura", "Naruto" and "Sasuke". They are not even recognizable in any sense.

Later.

PS. Being drunk, drink crap is not humourous. Why would people find this humourous or even funny to see Sakura that way when she doesn't drink because of her character. Changing that changes Sakura from Naruto to something completely ooc. Readers/fans are not OOCs.
Or am I unreasonable her and this is actually right?
Kirai

Unread postby unknown14966 » June 2nd, 2010, 9:04 am

Squeee! Got my first flame! Well kinda I think, it's just so totaly negative badly written and completely misses the point!^^
Would have been better to split the chapters into individual chapter and not a running constant chapters like you have.

Why the heck Sakura adrinking /drunk or whatever. That very out of character for Sakura. You have you own character named Sakura and not even the cannon character either.

Secondly...there is no way or even purpose for Sakura to be working with Manadara. She loyal to Kohona. Period. She wouldn't join any other because of Naruto her promise to Naruto.

So this story is bleh the way you have Sakura drunk and working or Manadara because no reason for to be so in the beginning, middle or ending of any story. You seriously need to look at Sakura's character, if you had any inkling. She would work for anyone else other than Kohona, nor will she not drink alchol because of her sensei. Period.

To be honest...why would anyone read this story in the first place when all the characters are not even the same character. Just in name and appearance, nothing more. You have completely substituted with your own version of the "Sakura", "Naruto" and "Sasuke". They are not even recognizable in any sense.

Later.

PS. Being drunk, drink crap is not humourous. Why would people find this humourous or even funny to see Sakura that way when she doesn't drink because of her character. Changing that changes Sakura from Naruto to something completely ooc. Readers/fans are not OOCs.
Nah, it's the classic person jumping at shadows syndrome :futile:

You know, when someone doesn't actually bother to read what's written and just take three words a paragraph to make a biased opinion.

As you said, the review completely missed the point.
unknown14966

Unread postby Phht » June 2nd, 2010, 9:16 am

I think it shows failure to read. And know how to spell. Spoilering response, just in case.
"Sakura is so OOC and would never join Madara (not Manadara or whatever the looney wrote) because of Naruto and she never ever drinks!" - You clearly cover in the story that a) Naruto abandoned Konoha prior to Sakura hooking up with Madara, b) it's nowhere near canon but far far crappier future, c) she only hooked up with him after the world 'ended' and Konoha was a smoking ruin (she's not going to be loyal to a ruin, that I can tell you!), and d) (b) drives Sakura to drink.
Though I'm confused at the lack of any "omg Sakura would never eat small animals thats so ooc!" comments. Does that mean they feel that part is in character for her? :scared:
In any case, I'd consider it a flame. Because not all flames are well written or indicate that they actually comprehended much of what they read. And if they were constructive, they wouldn't be flames since flames aren't useful in any way.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Kirai » June 2nd, 2010, 2:10 pm

That's what I thought too. I've asked the person the same questions. I wonder what the response will be^^

If it's interesting I'll post it.

Edit:

The response:
Trouble with that is Naruto would never destroy Kohona....Sasuke wanted that, so it was Sasuke. Nor Naruto ever betray Sakura. So don't know where you get that idea.

Secondly...Kohona gone or not...Doesn't mean she would drink does it or betray the people she loved...That is an oxymoron in itself isn't. Sakura wouldn't team up with Mandara since he started if all. Don't forget his ultimate goal.

You can't simply change he character if you feel like it because then those character are not who they are. Then what is the point of reading about characters that are not even them...In others words your characterization of the character...no offence, sucks.

Their is no betrayal. Sakura would never accuse or blame Naruto, more likely kill Sasuke, Mandara. She would never asscoiate herselfwith them for trying/destroying Kohona. She would never drink as you suggested, that was taught and ingrained into her.

So this story does makes sense nor interesting one when you discard the essence of the chracter you are writing and put int your own characters. If you don't see that, then why you bother even writing about Naruto and cast when you can't keep them as who they are when you simply discard the very principle you started reading them in the manga then writing about them in your own plot.

Fanfictions is you are using the characters as they are from their appearance, name to their peronsailty and placing them into a situation. You don't write about the situation then characters add afterwords, its always writing about the character (as who they are) in that situation that evolves around them.

You on the other hand completely destroyed the chcaracters you are trying to write about. That in itself is a failure to the character and the story.

Later.
[Him or Her up there. My thoughts on this down here]

So apparently Naruto didn't say that it could have easily been him, that wanted to destroy Konoha instead of Sasuke... and hey from the small fragments we can't even say for sure that Naruto was actually in control when he attacked Sasuke. but whatever.

Also: Having your world crumble around you, everything and body you ever loved ground into dust over a period of years doesn't cause some fundamental layers of your personality to crumble. Nope, you will always hold steadfast to what you have been brought up with. apparently Sakura also has been brought up to never ever drink... did I miss that part?

One thing he/she got right though I destroyed Sakura, yes that I did... it was the entire freaking point though. I send her through hell, what was that supposed to achieve beside destroying her? She's broken, shattered, a wreck. The story is at least in part about Naruto and Sasuke fixing it!
Ok needed to get that off my chest... too harsh you think?
Kirai

Unread postby Dechstreme » June 2nd, 2010, 2:39 pm

No, it's not too harsh. Thing is, you can't be politically correct on everything, life is too complex for that to work effectively if at all. You can't always play nice, because there are always going to be those who think of it as a sign of weakness. As sad as it might be, sometimes you gotta step on some toes to get people to respect you, and because it's the only way to get some people to learn. Because there are some people out there who ARE that bad.

And Sakura was never Made of Iron, even in the canon. This isn't something I'm particularly fond of, but doesn't make it any less true. You can't expect her to be like Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, a man who sticks to his principles even in a destroyed world because he knows and believes things won't get better if you don't work at it, even if the world is a wasteland. Sakura never had that kind of will in the first place.

He's also one of the Archetypal Badasses in anime, but that's beside the point.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby unknown14966 » June 2nd, 2010, 2:48 pm

heh, Kenshiro, iirc, only had one apocalypse, not successive wars killing *everyone* off.

He still had something to do.

This Sakura is quite impresive in what she managed to latched on to.
unknown14966

Unread postby gman391 » June 2nd, 2010, 5:00 pm

I'm still trying to get over the spelling. Leaving aside the rest of that poster's complaints

Who the F*** is Manadra? did he mean Madara? or Manda? Or some weird half Uchiha half snake combination of the two?

I don't know. Or maybe it's it's an original villain I'll give you that. But the thing is that...with the proper character development and plotting you can make the characters become anything. Character development doesn't have to make them better just different. And condemning a story simple because you didn't like the way it went is silly.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a well thought out and sometimes brilliant anime. I don't like it very much because of the message I got (Humans suck) but I still acknowledge it as a good show. Same here.

And Sakura not drinking.....Team seven is just the Sannin all over ago that was the bloody point of the end of the first part of the manga! Naruto was turning into Jiraiya, Sakura into Tsunade and Sasuke into Orochimaru. Gahh! does that person not get symbolism or motifs?

Unfortunately Naruto seems to have missed his scheduled brain operations.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Kirai » June 14th, 2010, 7:52 am

And with the last chapter I wrote over 100k for expectations. Yay me^^
Kirai

Unread postby gman391 » June 14th, 2010, 3:54 pm

quite
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby nfk » June 15th, 2010, 4:45 pm

First serious original work: my 2007 NaNo novel. I haven't finished it, but it did get me started on writing properly, so I still consider it a success.
I agree. My 2009 NanoWriMo story hit 35k crappy words, but they were all mine. An achievement that I was quite proud of. Despite being beaten out in word count by my younger sister... who has two children to my none...

My next milestone is to either complete the 2010 challenge with 50k+ words or to finally get around to posting a chapter of a story up on fanfiction.net.
nfk

Unread postby gman391 » October 3rd, 2010, 3:52 pm

First time I've ever genuinely gotten pissed off at a reviewer.

Although that's mostly because he complained. I explained my actions and told him to to read something else if it was that much of an issue. And now he want's to find a reason to report my story for abuse.

Jerk.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Phht » October 3rd, 2010, 6:26 pm

Although that's mostly because he complained. I explained my actions and told him to to read something else if it was that much of an issue. And now he wants to find a reason to report my story for abuse.
What?

God bless the internet, where people can feasible get anything they don't like removed for fake reasons.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 3rd, 2010, 6:50 pm

Later.

I can ignore a few typos here and there, but reading this literally physically hurt. I flinched!

These noobs need to shove off, fragments is awesome!
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop