Community Worldbuilding

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Re: Community Worldbuilding

Unread postby gman391 » April 22nd, 2010, 9:12 am

What happened to the Orcs?

Alright I'm thinking the Dwarves would be the British Empire, the Orcs like France and the Elves would be more like Russia all during the latter half of the 19th century. With out the German analog.

Okay at this time even though the Dwarves and Orcs work together because of the elves they still compete over most things. The Dwarves seem to be our big good for the settting as such are in a cold war with the Elves. Both sides are itching for an excuse. The elves biggest problem is that the Dwarves and Orcs control the shipping.

The Orcs right now are formally allied with the Dwarves mostly because the Elves made an attempt to enslave them like the humans. The Dwarves pulled them out of the fire.

So we can have three starting points.

The Reconstruction Period after that war.

The Interwar Period

The Outbreak of another war due to massive slave revolt.

I need a map to work this out properly.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Re: Community Worldbuilding

Unread postby Calinero » April 22nd, 2010, 7:30 pm

Right, forget about the orcs--orcs who are relatively tech-savvy...maybe they help the dwarves build their subs in return for military aid? Yeah, I can see a sort of Gondor Calls For Aid situation coming up with the elves. I wonder, though...are we getting too sidetracked from the setting itself by the story ideas?

I think we do need a map--preferably one with one major continent, but then at least one very large island a bit of a distance off from it as well as several smaller ones, though still large enough to have multiple cities. Also, preferably a mountain range or two to help add to geographic divisions.

I still think we need to hammer out the magic system a bit, and decide which races are capable of becoming magicians, and if there are differences between them.
Calinero

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop