Fragments

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Fragments

Unread postby Kirai » April 6th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Well, maybe you read that plotbunny I posted yesterday.

Slamus contribution inspired me to write this introduction. Hope you enjoy.
Spoiler: show
Fragments

- - -

There go the neighborhoods

- - -

Part One: Naruto

Naruto smiled weakly, as he looked at Sasuke. Who simply stared back, a slight frown on his face.

“Told you,” Naruto coughed wetly, “we would both die.”

One of Sasuke's eyes twitched. He didn't give any other indication that he heard Naruto.

Naruto wondered why he didn't hear Sakura, who had been watching the fight. Usually she would be screaming bloody murder at them...

“Well, not quite how I planned it, but well within my contingency plans.” Madara said, causally strolling towards the young men, who had their fists embedded in each other.

Naruto struggled weakly, desperately trying to face the new threat. Sasuke, on the other hand, smiled darkly. A bloody chuckle escaping his lips.

“You see Naruto,” Madara continued. “I don't need you to be, strictly speaking, alive a state of suspended animation, on the edge of death works just fine. Better even.” The man smiled behind his mask, Naruto could just tell.

“The fact that Sasuke died with you? Quite the bonus really. He did become somewhat annoying. But he played his part admirably.”

Naruto growled at Madara, how dare he?

Sasuke chuckled again.

“You...” He coughed up blood all over Naruto. “You... think... I didn't plan this?” He rasped out.

“What?” Madara and Naruto both asked, and looked at Sasuke., who had his Sharingan spinning wildly.

“You were just as guilty as Konoha Madara.” He chuckled. “You think I would let you win?”

And suddenly Naruto and Sasuke stood before the Kyuubi, still mortally wounded, still too weak to move, but Sasuke didn't seem bother by it at all.

“Hey fox. You want to life?” He asked, the rasp gone, even though the chest-wound remained.

“What do you think Uchiha?” The fox growled.

“Got a way for you to escape then. You remember Kakashi's kamui?” Sasuke asked.

“What the hell are you doing bastard?” Naruto interrupted the two of them, but neither bothered to answer him.

“Yeah... you want to use that eh?” The fox watched the young man in front of him.

“I need your power for it though. Ripping a hole into reality... not easy. Not easy at all.” Sasuke answered. Naruto struggled uselessly. He couldn't move at all, the sharingan keeping him in place.

“Hahahaha.” The fox grinned with far too many teeth at the Uchiha. “It would destroy vast tracks of land, that plan of yours. Ripping a hole into reality... and this close to Konoha...”

Sasuke shrugged. “All part of the plan.”

“Very well, I agree. Send me away, maybe I'll even be free of the brat then!”

Sasuke nodded, as the Kyuubi's evil chakra rushed him.

“No! What the hell are you doing?” Naruto demanded, finally wrenching himself free from Sasuke's mental hold.

But Sasuke didn't answer, instead he looked at the Kyuubi. His eyes turning bleeding freely now, and totally red.

“Sasuke!” Naruto screamed, as he jumped between his rival and the Kyuubi.

Then Sasuke released whatever technique he was using and everything went black.

- - -

Sasuke gasped, as he fell backwards, away from Naruto's corpse, which also fell backwards. In between them, a black sphere had opened, energy seemed to seep from it like blood from a wound.

“What did you do Sasuke.” Madara whispered, staring at the sphere in horror.

“Destroyed your plans, you and Konoha.” Sasuke whispered, before the hole in reality erupted in a shock-wave, washing over the remains of Konoha, ripping any living or nonliving thing apart.

- - -

Naruto gasped as he woke up. He frantically looked around, but Sasuke was nowhere to be seen...

In fact, he appeared to be in his bedroom... if an exploding tag had hit it.

“What? What happened?” He muttered, slowly, wobbly getting out of his bed.

His gaze fell on the calender, where a red cross marked the day as: “Today! Genin Exams! Gonna Kick Ass!”

Naruto starred at it for a few seconds, then ran to the window, to stare at the Hokage Monument.

The Monument with only four heads, instead of five.

“No way, no way, no way, no way...” He repeated over and over again, falling backwards.

- - -

Part Two: Sasuke

Sasuke stood against Madara, flanked by Naruto and Sakura. All three of them were bleeding profoundly, however Madara was at the end of his rope as well. He was breathing heavy and his clothes were torn in various places, displaying wounds that would have killed lesser men.

“Give up Madara. There's no way you can win against us.” Sasuke taunted. “The Hokage is cleaning up your little war. The other villages have brought your precious statue under their control.”

He charged the madman in front of him. Punctuating his next words with punches and kicks. “And we will. Beat. You!”

Sakura and Naruto were holding back, only helping when necessary, this was his battle, his ancestor, that had tried again and again, to bring the Uchiha down and to destroy Konoha.

From the moment he send the Kyuubi out to attack Konoha, in the hopes that the Uchiha would be blamed.

They would have too, if Sasuke's father hadn't sacrificed himself and Sasuke, in order to bring the Uchiha closer to Konoha and bridge whatever gaps Madara had managed to create with his scheming.

Sasuke called on the power of the Kyuubi. With his eyes, he had incredible control over it, even with the Kyuubi uncooperative.

He could see Madara's eye widen, as he tore out one of his arms.

Sasuke hated the fact that, even with his amazing control he still enjoyed the violence and bloodshed. But that was the price for this kind of power.

“You will die now Madara!” He screamed, ripping into Madara again and again.

Until he heard a chuckle from behind.

“You think it would be that easy?” Madara growled. Most of the wounds he had a few seconds ago were present. However, none Sasuke had caused in the last few seconds were.

“You may have beaten me Sasuke. You may have stopped my plans.” Madara spat, Sasuke's eyes widened in horror.

“But don't think it didn't come at a price!” Madara shook the corpses of Sakura and Naruto.

“How?” Sasuke muttered, as the fox coat dissipated into nothingness.

“How could you?”

Madara fell to his knees. “If you are willing to die brat, you can accomplish the greatest of deeds.”

And Madara's Sharingan sprang back into full force, sending a wave of pitch black fire at Sasuke.

Sasuke could see Madara fall over, slack and lifeless. Before the fire coated him in agony.

- - -

He found himself in the dungeons that represented his mind. The Kyuubi safely behind the bars of it's prison.

“Well brat. Seems we are going to die, just like your little friends.” It chuckled. “All that power you stole from me, only to die like that. Pathetic.”

Sasuke didn't rise to the bait. He simply slumped to the ground in despair. Naruto and Sakura were death. How would he explain that to Hinata? Or Sakura's mother? He promised he would keep them safe! He promised!

“Brat!” The Kyuubi rumbled. “I have no intention of dying.”

Sasuke didn't react, at all.

“Bah, then die. I'm sure your friends won't hold it against you, failing to safe them that is.”

Sasuke looked up sharply. “What do you mean?”

“Hehehe, though that would catch your attention.” The fox rattled in his chains, attempting to strech a claw out of his prison.

“Those eyes of yours, they have some control over time and space, don't they?” He asked.

Sasuke nodded numbly. With Itchai's and the Hokage's help he had gained quite a bit of control over both his eyes and time space ninjutsu.

“Well, if I give you all of my power, all at once... I think we can return to the past with your eyes.”

“We can? You really think we can?” Sasuke, knew that there had to be a catch. But then again, the Kyuubi had always professed that it would life to be free of it's cage one day. If he died now though... and it was a chance to safe his friends. To prevent Madara from killing them.

If he had just paid a little bit more attention. If he had been a little bit more careful.

“Of course I can brat. I'm more than powerful enough to power a simple jutsu like that. The only question is whether you can pull it off fast enough. We are currently burning alive after all. And what would your friends say if they knew you failed to safe them because you were too slow?”

Sasuke glared at the fox as his sharingan flared to life, the tomoe spinning madly. “I'm ready bastard. Just give me your chakra!” He growled.

“Fine, here it is!” The fox somehow managed to shrug. As a gigantic wave f chakra slammed into Sasuke.

Sasuke screamed in agony as the chakra burned through his veins and the fire of Amaterasu, suddenly made itself know, now that the buffer of his mind-scape disappeared.

Still he persevered, forming the chakra, even through the black haze, miraculously his eyes hadn't been touched by the fire, that had reduced most of his skin to ash already.

In a last agonizing push he released the jutsu, pushing through the boundary only he could see.

It shattered, and for the split second, that he was aware of it, he felt that something had gone quite catastrophically wrong.

- - -

Sasuke opened his eyes and looked around.

He was alone, in a small spartan apartment.

Nothing at all like his home in the clan compound.

His eyes fell on a calendar, a small mark indicated that today... or yesterday, he wasn't entirely sure, was the genin entrance exam.

Slowly he got up and walked around the room, searching for any hint on what was going on or where he ended up.

“Dammit fox, what did you do to me?” He muttered to himself.

- - -

Part Three: Sakura

- - -

Sakura smiled at the little dog as it sniffed around the dusty floor of the building.

“Come here little doggie, come here.” She cooed.

The dog turned it's head to the side and regarded her for a second. It backed off, when it heard a low growl coming from Sakura's direction, before it continued to sniff the ground.

Sakura frowned, then shook her head ruefully. “Oh well, not as if it matters.” Sakura muttered, before flinging a kunai at the dog, severing it's spine from the head.

“Dinner time!” She crowed, scampering over to collect her prize.

- - -

Madara brooded over several scrolls, his plan nearly complete. All he had to do was wait, and hope Haruno managed to collect what he send her out to get.

A second later the door to his lab flew open and the smell of cooked meat invaded his nose.

He turned around, Haruno Sakura strode in, a bottle of some sort of alcoholic beverage in one hand, the burnt remains of some animal, Madara narrowed his eyes, dog apparently, in the other.

Haruno noticed his stare and narrowed her eyes in return. “That's my meat, go catch your own.” She growled, animal like.

Madara decided to ignore his own empty stomach. If she had what he send her for it would be over soon anyway.

“Was that all you caught? Or did you bring me what I send you for.” He asked exasperated. Not that he believed she didn't have it. No matter how much of a drunken bitch she was, she did finish her missions.

Sakura rolled her eyes, which did interesting things to her face, it highlighted her scars quite nicely.

“Of course I have it asshole.” She ripped a piece of meat of the carcass and washed it down with a swig of... whatever the bottle contained. Maybe paint thinner. If she found some somewhere.

Then she put the bottle down and threw him a few vials of a murky red liquid.

“There, that was all I could find in Orochimaru's labs.”

He looked at the bottles wearily. It should be enough, over the years he had improved his chakra control beyond anything he thought possible.

“Good, then everything is ready. Just sit down here, while I prepare the jutsu.” He took a deep breath, almost immediately regretting it. It had been said, before the last war, when there where still people alive to work with, or attack Haruno, that her breath should count as a weapon. And that she didn't need any chakra for the grand fireball.

In close proximity Madara was inclined to agree. He figured the only reason Haruno didn't keel over, from having every cell in her body throughoutly drenched in alcohol, was the fact that the alcohol preserved her. Like a brain in one of Orochimaru's jars or something.

He opened the vials Haruno had brought. And quickly downed them. The vials were killing him, even as they supplied him with chakra equal to one of the tailed beast... well the 4 tails at least.

Not that it mattered if he lived or died, if he succeeded he would be killed from the backlash of punching a hole into reality. If not... well there wasn't really anything left to life for so no loss there as well.

Haruno just sat in the circle, munching her meat, drinking her... alcohol. Not saying a word.

Some would have found her disgusting. Madara found her admirable. Even know, after three major ninja wars, loosing every person she ever called a friend, or cared for. Having watched Uzumaki Naruto and Sasuke Uchiha kill each other in the event that triggered the first of the three ninja wars...

She still managed to maintain a thin layer of humanity. A very thin layer admittedly but she had it.

His single sharingan flared to life, for the briefest of seconds. After it closed again he couldn't see the black eclipse that occupied the space Haruno's head had occupied a second ago.

He didn't notice it expand and reduce the underground fortress and his lab to ash, as well as the wasteland that stretched for several thousand miles above it.

- - -

Haruno Sakura woke up and the first thing she realized, was that she was sober.

The shakes set in almost immediately. As well as the memories. Faces, voices, screams... she forced the cacophony down, and brought the shakes under control. It was just till she managed to find a bar, she woodenly made her way to the window.

And a smile, the first one that wasn't a carefully faked mask in over 20 years crept on her face.

“Booze,” She whispered. “Real booze. Not the bloody tainted stuff I have to make from... well garbage and stuff....”

She looked around, pinpointing the wallet that belonged to the previous inhabitant of this body... or was that herself... meh who cared, the body was hers now.

She stopped in front of the full body mirror and watched herself for a second. A weak, frail child stared back. No rings under her eyes, no scars ripping her face in half, no broken nose. She was pretty!

She nearly laughed at the thought. As if it mattered.

Still she had money, she slammed her hands into the seals for henge and a twenty something woman had replaced the frail girl.

She appeared to be an adult. And, most importantly, she had several bars with decent alcohol available. And she supposed a body with zero alcohol-tolerance. Well she would just have to work on that. And the medical jutsu to limit the effects of alcohol on the body should still work, they only required chakra control, nothing else after all.
Kirai

Re: Fragments

Unread postby Calinero » April 6th, 2010, 9:21 pm

I like it so far, the idea has potential. A few comma issues, but other than that it looks like some solid writing. I found the bit where Sakura killed and ate a dog to be kinda creepy, but in a good way.
Calinero

Unread postby Kirai » April 7th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Thanks. And well, let's just say... the dog was harmless^^

That Sakura lived in a truly grimdark world, and the dog is meant to show just how srewed up she is.

So goal reached.
Kirai

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » April 7th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Sakura's section is a bit confusing - the background isn't as clear as it is in the other two. We can guess Naruto comes from failed!canon, and we know about the Uchiha making the sacrifices in Sasuke's, so... I think it'd be worth going into a bit of detail on the reasons behind Sakura's grimdark future.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Random_fan » April 7th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Well I liked it. I have to disagree with Quote, I think Sakura's story revealed why she was a drunken mess well and finding out what caused the wars would be better in flashbacks rather than exposition that neither character would logically give.
Random_fan

Unread postby Greybane » April 7th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Well I liked it. I have to disagree with Quote, I think Sakura's story revealed why she was a drunken mess well and finding out what caused the wars would be better in flashbacks rather than exposition that neither character would logically give.
Concur.

The problem I found with the story was its shortness. Not the length of any individual section, but the entire plot seems start and stop. It would be fascinating to read more.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » April 7th, 2010, 10:12 pm

This is a fascinating idea.
Please continue. I would love to see what happens when Team Seven gets together.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Kirai » April 8th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Concur.

The problem I found with the story was its shortness. Not the length of any individual section, but the entire plot seems start and stop. It would be fascinating to read more.
Well it was an introduction, written to get the worst of the plotbunny out of my mind. Already continued writing it.
Kirai

Unread postby Kirai » April 14th, 2010, 7:08 am

And here's the first draft of chapter one:
Fragments

- - -

There go the neighborhoods

- - -

Part One: Naruto

Naruto smiled weakly, as he looked at Sasuke. Who simply stared back, a slight frown on his face.

“Told you,” Naruto coughed wetly, “we would both die.”

One of Sasuke's eyes twitched. He didn't give any other indication that he heard Naruto.

Naruto wondered why he didn't hear Sakura, who had been watching the fight. Usually she would be screaming bloody murder at them...

“Well, not quite how I planned it, but well within my contingency plans.” Madara said, causally strolling towards the young men, who had their fists embedded in each other.

Naruto struggled weakly, desperately trying to face the new threat. Sasuke, on the other hand, smiled darkly. A bloody chuckle escaping his lips.

“You see Naruto,” Madara continued. “I don't need you to be, strictly speaking, alive. A state of suspended animation, on the edge of death works just fine. Better even.” The man smiled behind his mask, Naruto could just tell.

“The fact that Sasuke died with you? Quite the bonus really. He did become somewhat annoying. But he played his part admirably.”

Naruto growled at Madara, how dare he?

Sasuke chuckled again.

“You...” He coughed up blood all over Naruto. “You... think... I didn't plan this?” He rasped out.

“What?” Madara and Naruto both asked, and looked at Sasuke., who had his Sharingan spinning wildly.

“You were just as guilty as Konoha Madara.” He chuckled. “You think I would let you win?”

And suddenly Naruto and Sasuke stood before the Kyuubi, still mortally wounded, still too weak to move, but Sasuke didn't seem bother by it at all.

“Hey fox. You want to life?” He asked, the rasp gone, even though the chest-wound remained.

“What do you think Uchiha?” The fox growled.

“Got a way for you to escape then. You remember Kakashi's kamui?” Sasuke asked.

“What the hell are you doing bastard?” Naruto interrupted the two of them, but neither bothered to answer him.

“Yeah... you want to use that eh?” The fox watched the young man in front of him.

“I need your power for it though. Ripping a hole into reality... not easy. Not easy at all.” Sasuke answered. Naruto struggled uselessly. He couldn't move at all, the sharingan keeping him in place.

“Hahahaha.” The fox grinned with far too many teeth at the Uchiha. “It would destroy vast tracks of land, that plan of yours. Ripping a hole into reality... and this close to Konoha...”

Sasuke shrugged. “All part of the plan.”

“Very well, I agree. Send me away, maybe I'll even be free of the brat then!”

Sasuke nodded, as the Kyuubi's evil chakra rushed him.

“No! What the hell are you doing?” Naruto demanded, finally wrenching himself free from Sasuke's mental hold.

But Sasuke didn't answer, instead he looked at the Kyuubi. His eyes spinning, bleeding freely now, and totally red.

“Sasuke!” Naruto screamed, as he jumped between his rival and the Kyuubi.

Then Sasuke released whatever technique he was using and everything went black.

- - -

Sasuke gasped, as he fell backwards, away from Naruto's corpse, which also fell backwards. In between them, a black sphere had opened, energy seemed to seep from it like blood from a wound.

“What did you do Sasuke.” Madara whispered, staring at the sphere in horror.

“Destroyed your plans, you and Konoha.” Sasuke whispered, before the hole in reality erupted in a shock-wave, washing over the remains of Konoha, ripping any living or nonliving thing apart.

- - -

Naruto gasped as he woke up. He frantically looked around, but Sasuke was nowhere to be seen...

In fact, he appeared to be in his bedroom... if an exploding tag had hit it.

“What? What happened?” He muttered, slowly, wobbly getting out of his bed.

His gaze fell on the calender, where a red cross marked the day as: “Today! Genin Exams! Gonna Kick Ass!”

Naruto starred at it for a few seconds, then ran to the window, to stare at the Hokage Monument.

The Monument with only four heads, instead of five.

“No way, no way, no way, no way...” He repeated over and over again, falling backwards.

- - -

Part Two: Sasuke

Sasuke stood against Madara, flanked by Naruto and Sakura. All three of them were bleeding profoundly, however Madara was at the end of his rope as well. He was breathing heavy and his clothes were torn in various places, displaying wounds that would have killed lesser men.

“Give up Madara. There's no way you can win against us.” Sasuke taunted. “The Hokage is cleaning up your little war. The other villages have brought your precious statue under their control.”

He charged the madman in front of him. Punctuating his next words with punches and kicks. “And we will. Beat. You!”

Sakura and Naruto were holding back, only helping when necessary, this was his battle, his ancestor, that had tried again and again, to bring the Uchiha down and to destroy Konoha.

From the moment he send the Kyuubi out to attack Konoha, in the hopes that the Uchiha would be blamed.

They would have too, if Sasuke's father hadn't sacrificed himself and Sasuke, in order to bring the Uchiha closer to Konoha and bridge whatever gaps Madara had managed to create with his scheming.

Sasuke called on the power of the Kyuubi. With his eyes, he had incredible control over it, even with the Kyuubi uncooperative.

He could see Madara's eye widen, as he tore out one of his arms.

Sasuke hated the fact that, even with his amazing control he still enjoyed the violence and bloodshed. But that was the price for this kind of power.

“You will die now Madara!” He screamed, ripping into Madara again and again.

Until he heard a chuckle from behind.

“You think it would be that easy?” Madara growled. Most of the wounds he had a few seconds ago were present. However, none Sasuke had caused in the last few seconds were.

“You may have beaten me Sasuke. You may have stopped my plans.” Madara spat, Sasuke's eyes widened in horror.

“But don't think it didn't come at a price!” Madara shook the corpses of Sakura and Naruto.

“How?” Sasuke muttered, as the fox coat dissipated into nothingness.

“How could you?”

Madara fell to his knees. “If you are willing to die brat, you can accomplish the greatest of deeds.”

And Madara's Sharingan sprang back into full force, sending a wave of pitch black fire at Sasuke.

Sasuke could see Madara fall over, slack and lifeless. Before the fire coated him in agony.

- - -

He found himself in the dungeons that represented his mind. The Kyuubi safely behind the bars of it's prison.

“Well brat. Seems we are going to die, just like your little friends.” It chuckled. “All that power you stole from me, only to die like that. Pathetic.”

Sasuke didn't rise to the bait. He simply slumped to the ground in despair. Naruto and Sakura were death. How would he explain that to Hinata? Or Sakura's mother? He promised he would keep them safe! He promised!

“Brat!” The Kyuubi rumbled. “I have no intention of dying.”

Sasuke didn't react, at all.

“Bah, then die. I'm sure your friends won't hold it against you, failing to safe them that is.”

Sasuke looked up sharply. “What do you mean?”

“Hehehe, though that would catch your attention.” The fox rattled in his chains, attempting to strech a claw out of his prison.

“Those eyes of yours, they have some control over time and space, don't they?” He asked.

Sasuke nodded numbly. With Itchai's and the Hokage's help he had gained quite a bit of control over both his eyes and time space ninjutsu.

“Well, if I give you all of my power, all at once... I think we can return to the past with your eyes.”

“We can? You really think we can?” Sasuke, knew that there had to be a catch. But then again, the Kyuubi had always professed that it would life to be free of it's cage one day. If he died now though... and it was a chance to safe his friends. To prevent Madara from killing them.

If he had just paid a little bit more attention. If he had been a little bit more careful.

“Of course I can brat. I'm more than powerful enough to power a simple jutsu like that. The only question is whether you can pull it off fast enough. We are currently burning alive after all. And what would your friends say if they knew you failed to safe them because you were too slow?”

Sasuke glared at the fox as his sharingan flared to life, the tomoe spinning madly. “I'm ready bastard. Just give me your chakra!” He growled.

“Fine, here it is!” The fox somehow managed to shrug. As a gigantic wave of chakra slammed into Sasuke.

Sasuke screamed in agony as the chakra burned through his veins and the fire of Amaterasu, suddenly made itself know, now that the buffer of his mind-scape disappeared.

Still he persevered, forming the chakra, even through the black haze, miraculously his eyes hadn't been touched by the fire that had reduced most of his skin to ash already.

In a last agonizing push he released the jutsu, pushing through the boundary only he could see.

It shattered, and for the split second that he was aware of it, he felt that something had gone quite catastrophically wrong.

- - -

Sasuke opened his eyes and looked around.

He was alone, in a small spartan apartment.

Nothing at all like his home in the clan compound.

His eyes fell on a calendar, a small mark indicated that today... or yesterday, he wasn't entirely sure, was the genin entrance exam.

Slowly he got up and walked around the room, searching for any hint on what was going on or where he ended up.

“Dammit fox, what did you do to me?” He muttered to himself.

- - -

Part Three: Sakura

- - -

Sakura smiled at the little dog as it sniffed around the dusty floor of the building.

“Come here little doggie, come here.” She cooed.

The dog turned it's head to the side and regarded her for a second. It backed off, when it heard a low growl coming from Sakura's direction, before it continued to sniff the ground.

Sakura frowned, then shook her head ruefully. “Oh well, not as if it matters.” Sakura muttered, before flinging a kunai at the dog, severing it's spine from the head.

“Dinner time!” She crowed, scampering over to collect her prize.

- - -

Madara brooded over several scrolls, his plan nearly complete. All he had to do was wait, and hope Haruno managed to collect what he send her out to get.

A second later the door to his lab flew open and the smell of cooked meat invaded his nose.

He turned around, Haruno Sakura strode in, a bottle of some sort of alcoholic beverage in one hand, the burnt remains of some animal, Madara narrowed his eyes, dog apparently, in the other.

Haruno noticed his stare and narrowed her eyes in return. “That's my meat, go catch your own.” She growled animal like.

Madara decided to ignore his own empty stomach. If she had what he send her for it would be over in a few minutes anyway.

“Was that all you caught? Or did you bring me what I send you for.” He asked exasperated. Not that he believed she didn't have it. No matter how much of a drunken bitch she was, she did finish her missions.

Sakura rolled her eyes, which did interesting things to her face, it highlighted her scars quite nicely, if he had still been affected by things like that, he probably would have thrown up.

“Of course I have it asshole.” She ripped a piece of meat of the carcass and washed it down with a swig of... whatever the bottle contained. Maybe paint thinner. If she found some somewhere.

Then she put the bottle down and threw him a few vials of a murky red liquid.

“There, that was all I could find in Orochimaru's labs.”

He looked at the bottles wearily. It should be enough, over the years he had improved his chakra control beyond anything he once thought possible.

“Good, then everything is ready. Just sit down here, while I prepare the jutsu.” He took a deep breath, almost immediately regretting it. It had been said, before the last war, when there where still people alive to work with, or attack, Haruno, that her breath should count as a weapon. And that she didn't need any chakra for the grand fireball.

In close proximity Madara was inclined to agree. He figured the only reason Haruno didn't keel over, due to having every cell in her body throughoutly drenched in alcohol, was the fact that the alcohol preserved her. Like a brain in one of Orochimaru's jars or something.

He opened the vials Haruno had brought. And quickly downed them. The vials were killing him, even as they supplied him with chakra equal to one of the tailed beast... well the 4 tails at least.

Not that it mattered if he lived or died, if he succeeded he would be killed from the backlash of punching a hole into reality. If not... well there wasn't really anything left to life for so no loss there as well.

Haruno just sat in the circle, munching her meat, drinking her... alcohol. Not saying a word.

Some would have found her disgusting. Madara found her admirable. Even know, after three major ninja wars, loosing every person she ever called a friend, or cared for. Having watched Uzumaki Naruto and Sasuke Uchiha kill each other in the event that triggered the first of the last three ninja wars...

She still managed to maintain a thin layer of humanity. A very thin layer admittedly but she did maintain it.

His single sharingan flared to life, for the briefest of seconds. After it closed again he couldn't see the black eclipse that occupied the space Haruno's head had occupied a second ago.

He didn't notice it expand and reduce the underground fortress and his lab to ash, as well as the wasteland that stretched for several thousand miles above it.

- - -

Haruno Sakura woke up and came to a realization. She was sober.

The shakes set in almost immediately. As well as the memories. Faces, voices, screams... she forced the cacophony down, and brought the shakes under control. It was just till she managed to find a bar, she woodenly made her way to the window.

And a smile, the first one that wasn't a carefully faked mask in over 20 years, crept on her face.

“Booze,” She whispered. “Real booze. Not the bloody tainted stuff I have to make from... well garbage and stuff....”

She looked around, pinpointing the wallet that belonged to the previous inhabitant of this body... or was that herself... meh who cared, the body was hers now.

She stopped in front of the full body mirror and watched herself for a second. A weak, frail child stared back. No rings under her eyes, no scars ripping her face in half, no broken nose. She was pretty!

She nearly laughed at the thought. As if it mattered.

Still she had money, she slammed her hands into the seals for henge and a twenty something woman had replaced the frail girl.

She appeared to be an adult. And, most importantly, she had several bars with decent alcohol available. And she supposed a body with zero alcohol-tolerance. Well she would just have to work on that, the medical jutsu to limit the effects of alcohol on the body should still work, they only required chakra control, nothing else after all.

- - -

Part Four: Kyuubi

The fox growled at the intruder, the intruder, who had suddenly appeared out of nowhere into his cell.

The appearing out of nowhere didn't faze the fox, this wasn't the real world after all. And even there...

But the fact that somebody would dare to appear in reach of his pawns? It almost made him want to smile.

“Kehkehkeh, looks like a tasty...” He whirled around, another presence had just appeared, feeling exactly like the last one. And both had something achingly familiar about them.

“Well, blast. Seems I'm still trapped in this prison.” One of the newcomers muttered to himself. And what a handsome and dashing self it was...

The fox roared in a furry. “How dare you take on my body?” He swiped his claws at the imposter, but the other fox lazily raised his own paw and blocked the attack.

“Eh that was kinda disappointing.” He smirked at the original. “I expected a bit more from myself. Oh well, I suppose being trapped in a weak brat with no escape does limit your capabilities somewhat.”

The original found that, for the first time he could remember he felt empathy with the lesser beings he destroyed so causally. He shook his head, and roared again. He would show whoever was in front of him what it meant to anger the Kyuubi.

He reared back his paw, claws drawn. But a another set of claws slammed into his neck, severing his head from his body, dissipating him! Whoever they were killed...

- - -

The Kyuubi lazily watched the original inhabitant of this prison fade, he didn't bother collecting the memories. He could gather what he needed to know from the host.

Instead he focused his attention on the other Kyuubi in this cage.

“Well, well, well.” This one drawled. “It seems our host decided to leave suddenly.” A maddened grin spread over it's lips, making it look like the most handsome and noble demon to ever walk the earth, sowing death and destruction.

“Only one left to kill then.” The Kyuubi agreed.

“Yes.” And without warning the second Kyuubi attacked, a vicious slash, followed by a snap for his throat. Easily deflected of course.

One didn't reach his level of power without learning a thing or two about fighting. Ok that was a lie, the only way to reach his divine perfection was by being born with it.

He dodged another swipe and brought his own claws down in a slash that should have taken the enemy's head clear off. Instead the handsome specimen of demonic magnificence managed to dodge easily.

“Kuhkuhkuh.” It chuckled. “We seem to be at an impasse here. Neither of us will be able to beat the other, we are too similar.”

He chuckled at that, the other him had it right.

“True. Maybe we should call a truce. Together we should be able to burn the seal to tinder and escape this rotten prison.”

Both demons smiled at each other, as they crept closer.

“Yes, so a truce.” The other one whispered, looking at him, admiration filling it's eyes.

He nodded, preparing to snap his head up and rip the throat out of the fool who had let him come so close.

He realized his folly when the other snapped it's jaw around his neck and bit.

- - -

The Kyuubi laughed deeply as it savored the taste of the defeated mind. Now it alone had dominion over this sewer. And nobody, no matter how close to it's perfection they came... especially if they came close to it's perfection would dare challenge it.

Footsteps alerted it to somebody arriving. It turned it's head, expecting the Uchiha brat to storm in and demand to know what was going on. But the brat would be...

“What did he do?” The blond that stood in front of him demanded angrily. “Where are we? What happened?”

Maybe collecting the memory of the other two would have been prudent? Oh well.

“Why should I tell you brat?” He asked. “Maybe if you released me from this prison.”

“Never!”

Well worth a try. He had nothing if not time.

“Then get out. I won't talk.” He grinned at the human, it always managed to intimidate the Uchiha... somewhat at least.

Didn't work so well on this one though.

His entire face twitched in barely suppressed rage. Quite amusing really.

“I will find out what you did. And I will stop whatever plan you or Sasuke hatched!” He growled, before disappearing.

If only he had a plan, beyond escape and hope for the best. He faded into the background. Oh well, opportunities would present themselves soon enough. Until then he would just have to wait.

- - -

Part Five: Humble Beginnings

Naruto growled as he walked through the streets of Konoha, whole and undamaged.

He didn't pay attention to the people who first glared, then backed off. If this was indeed the past. And he had no idea how the Uchiha had managed it, if it was. Then it was to be expected that people hated him. No big deal, he could win them over again.

No what bothered him was the Kyuubi. Specifically what it hoped to gain by doing this. It had been trapped still, so what... he shook his head.

He should stop over-thinking. Sasuke had offered a way to escape certain dead or worse to the Kyuubi and it took the chance.

He had briefly thought about this being a genjutsu by Sasuke, but almost immediately dismissed the idea. It just wasn't Sasuke's style. He might torture you if it gained him a clear advantage, but he preferred to simply kill his enemies.

Sasuke... he would be here too. Maybe even the one from his world.

He growled again and noticed in amusement that people backed off, whispering fearfully.

He took a deep breath. If he wanted them to accept him, he would have to stop brooding... he could end up like Sasuke that way.

So he forced the angry frown off his face and replaced it with his easy smile.

People almost immediately regarded him with... well the same hate, but also relief and maybe a bit of respect. Ok, he was imagining that last one, but he was allowed to dream right?

He entered the academy, ignored everybody who smirked at him, oh so sure he would fail again.

He had to fight his own demented smirk down at the thought of that. There was just no way he would fail. Mizuki be damned.

As he reached for the door to his classroom he hesitated. He would see Sasuke again. The same man who had killed him not even an hour ago.

Killed him and send him here, whenever here was.

He shook his head, no he wouldn't see that man. He would see the boy that one day might become that man.

“Naruto!” A hauntingly familiar voice screamed. A bit more high pitched than an hour ago. But unmistakeably Sasuke.

Naruto whirled around, reaching for a kunai. If he had followed him to finish him off...

He was tackled hugged by a wide eyed Uchiha, tears flowing freely from his eyes. “Oh god I thought you were dead, and the fox said I could safe you, and I was burning and Madara killed you and Sakura and my clan is gone, just gone nobody around at all...”

Naruto's thoughts ground to a halt... he had a hysterical Uchiha hanging from his chest! What. The. Hell?

Sasuke looked up, his face locked in a mixture of hope, terror and relief. A lot of students were staring at the two of them in utter confusion.

Naruto knew how they felt.

He couldn't help but glare down at the boy... luckily he was kinda hanging off him, otherwise that would have been very difficult. God he hated his height as a kid.

“Madara didn't kill me, you did.” He growled at the boy, who most definitely wasn't the Sasuke from this time, that left only the Sasuke from his own time.

Sasuke shrank back as if hit. “No! I didn't... I couldn't. I'm sorry I wasn't fast enough!” He sobbed, sobbed!

Ok new working theory. That's what you were supposed to do when your first theory didn't hold up right?

This wasn't any Sasuke he knew, because no Sasuke he knew, young or old would ever let himself be caught crying.

“Err, ok maybe you didn't.” He tried to placate the sobbing wreck, that at least in the minds of everybody around should be the strongest and most stoic student this year.

“No, I know I did. If I had been faster, just a little bit faster I could have saved you and Sakura. I promised Hinata that I would keep you safe! But... but....” Naruto had the distinct feeling that Sasuke would start hurting himself soon if he didn't do anything. Maybe let the fangirls loose on him. Maybe he would consider it appropriate punishment.

Naruto briefly wondered why he was taking this all so calmly. But then he always rolled with the punches and besides, he was in shock, yeah, that probably was it shock. Once he had time to assess the situation...

“There was nothing you could do.” He placed a hand on the Uchiha's shoulder, who looked up at him with red eyes, not form the Sharingan but form crying. “And hey second chance right?”

At least if his second theory proofed correct. The only explanation he could think of for the complete shift of personality was that this wasn't his Sasuke at all. And since he had traveled back in time... maybe somebody else could as well.

But how would this Sasuke be so different then?

Ok he had no idea what was going on, but it seemed his words had calmed Sasuke.

“You are right, this time I'll be stronger.” Sasuke looked down. “But I... I don't have the Kyuubi anymore.” He whispered. Looking around to make sure nobody had heard.

Naruto's eyes widened. Sasuke had the Kyuubi... ok he was officially freaked out.

“Err...” He also couldn't come up with a reply.

“I don't know where it is, anybody could have it now. And I couldn't go to your father... not after I got you killed...”

His father... how the hell could Sasuke go to his father?

“Anyway, let's find Sakura! We can think of a plan together then!” Sasuke seemed to cheer right up at announcing his plan.

“No need.” The voice chilled Naruto to the bones. That could just be the killing intent though. The last time he faced killing intent like that... shit he had never felt killing intent like that.

It wasn't like Sasuke or Orochimaru, they had a cold kind of killing intent, kinda like ice freezing you to death.

This killing intent burned you to the core. Kinda like the Kyuubi actually, just human, frighteningly human.

He turned around, Sakura stood there, a bottle in her left hand, a kunai in the other and glaring death and damnation at him.

“I advise you to keep away from me Uchiha, Uzumaki. Or I might just decide to end your miserable lives right here, right now.” She spat at them.

“Now out of my way.”

Both boys practically jumped away from the door, giving her ample room to pass them.

Once the door closed behind her, with a loud bang as she slammed it shut, Naruto dared to breath again.

“That... that was...” He said.

“Yeah.” Sasuke stuttered.

The few boys and girls around them, that could still stand that is, looked as if the world had gone horribly horribly wrong. And Naruto was inclined to agree with them. He had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on. At all.

“You go first.” Sasuke pushed him to the door.

“Me? Why don't you go first, she likes you!” Naruto switched positions with the reluctant Uchiha.

“Are you kidding? She wanted to kill me just now!” Sasuke somehow managed to worm his way around Naruto and push him to the door.

“Yeah well, me too? I'm too young to die! Again!” Naruto punched the Uchiha in the head and forced him to the front again.

“And I'm not?” Sasuke abandoned any attempt to force Naruto to open the door. Instead he tried to beat the shit out of Naruto.

Naruto grinned wildly, finally something that made sense!

“Sasuke!” He growled, charging.

“Naruto!” Sasuke replied, rearing back his fist.

“What the hell you two?” Iruka shouted, grabbing both of them. “What the hell do you think you are doing in the middle of the hall? You scarred the other kids shi... err you scarred them spit-less.”

Naruto looked at some of the quivering wrecks Sakura's little display had left. “No I'm very sure they are scarred shit-less Iruka.” He replied with raised eyebrow.

Iruka followed his gaze, then glared at him. “What did you do?” He asked.

“Nothing! It was Sakura!” Sasuke interjected.

Iruka stared at the boy, disbelieve etched onto his face. “Sakura Haruno? Did this?” He waved at the terrified students.

“Yes?” Naruto ventured carefully.

“You expect me to believe that?” Iruka glared at the boys.

“Yes?” Sasuke asked doubtfully.

“Detention! Both of you!” Iruka shouted.

- - -

Sakura glowered at everybody in the classroom, who so much as dared to look her way.

Damn, seeing those two utter bastards pissed her off. And just after she had a pleasant buzz going.

She looked at the beer in her hand. The perfect starter for a body that hadn't yet gotten used to alcohol. Easy to flush the worst of the poison out of the system and leave only the parts that impaired her brain.

After all, she had just survived a world gone to hell and back, because Uzumaki and Uchiha couldn't make up their minds on who would rule the world.

Fucking lunatics.

“What the hell forehead? Why did you bang the door like that? Realized you are too ugly for oof...”

Ino's rant was interrupted by a well executed tackle hug from Sakura.

“Ino! Oh god I mis...” Sakura looked at the girl beneath her, who looked at her as if she had a second head.

“Err I mean...” Shit, seeing Ino alive again. She should have been prepared for it. But her thoughts had circled only around the delicious, delicious beer. And sake, and all the other yummy stuff in the bar.

She was certain that Madara had killed her. And despite everything she went to heaven. Apparently even massive slaughter could be forgiven.

“Sakura? Is there a reason you are straddling me?” Ino growled, trying to pry Sakura off her.

“Of course there is... Ino baby.” Sakura purred.

Ino's eyes widened first in surprise, then horror, as her attempts to dislodge Sakura turned frantic.

“Ohh yeah touch me more.” Sakura encouraged the blond girl beneath her. Before she pulled a new bottle from one of her pouches.

Ino stopped moving almost immediately, pale like a ghost.

“Aww, why did you stop Ino? I was having soo much fun.” Sakura blew Ino a kiss.

Ino didn't even twitch.

Laughing Sakura got up. She couldn't remember a time when Ino could be flustered so easily.

“Come on Ino. Up you go.” She hauled Ino to her feet, and led her to a desk. Ino didn't resist at all.

“Honestly! Expecting me to believe that Sakura scared those kids like that.” Iruka entered the room, shaking his head. “I know you only have one day left of the academy. But don't think that means I can't give you detention. Now stay here while I get the test papers!”

Sakura growled in his direction. The two greatest murderers to be and she didn't dare do anything. But she could wait, if they slept... no Sarutobi would keep a watch on his precious Jinchuriku. Nevermind Danzo, there was no way in hell root would dare risk Uzumaki.

Same with the goddamn Uchiha. If she didn't want to die painfully tortured she would have to be smart about this. Maybe on a mission... yeah, that could work. She could kill them on a mission.

“Sasuke!” Ino tackled the boy and positioned him between her and Sakura. “Safe me!” She begged.

“Wha? Safe you from who?” He asked, clueless.

“Sakura! She was molesting me!” Ino screeched.

Oh what sweet music.

The Uchiha and Uzumaki duo stared, first at Ino then at Sakura. She glared at them and ran her hand over her throat.

Sasuke looked at Ino, then at Sakura again. Sakura licked her lips suggestively, rubbing her stomach. He would probably taste good with the right sauce.

The Uchiha paled and hid behind Ino.

“Sorry, she want's to kill me. No way am I getting between you and her. No matter how beautiful you are.” He smiled at Ino for the briefest of seconds.

Sakura's vision turned red. That little shit wouldn't take Ino away to do his sick and twisted bidding.

She strode towards the little waste of flesh who was backing away from her rapidly. Ino had simply fainted in terror upon feeling Sakura's killing intent.

Uzumaki had hid somewhere, she could smell him. And Iruka, he had nearly reached the room again.

“Keep your dirty hands off Ino Uchiha, otherwise I'll make sure you can't even touch yourself anymore.” She growled at him.

Sasuke nodded frantically, terror written all over his face.

Satisfied Sakura grabbed Ino and returned to her place, as far away from Sasuke and Naruto as possible.

The door opened just as she had set Ino down again.

Iruka had a stack of papers under his arm and a slight smile on his face.

The smile slipped the second he saw the terrified and unconscious children all over the room.

He almost immediately rounded on Sasuke and Naruto, the only ones who seemed relatively unaffected...

Sakura blinked through the tirade. Why were they unaffected anyway? Her killing intent was far more potent than even Orochimaru's had been in the forest of death. And that had shaken both of them badly.

This? Sasuke hadn't been scarred by the killing intend, he had been scarred of her.

She frowned and looked at them again, they were the same little brats she remembered... no not quite. Sasuke carried himself with... with a sort of peace... with a peace she didn't remember him having.

Naruto on the other hand had enough confidence, if you could harness confidence he could probably power an entire bijuu incubator battery by himself.

And not just the false bravado kind of confidence, he possessed the real deal, the one you worked an entire lifetime for if you weren't a genius like the Uchiha, or him.

Damn, she would have to interact with them... well she would have anyway, once they were assigned the same team, but still...

“Sakura! Are you listening?” Iruka glared at her form across the room.

“Yes sensei?” She took a gulp from her bottle. While sweet and soft, the beer just didn't quite pack the punch she needed. She would have to upgrade to sake soon.

“Were you responsible for... whatever happened here?” He asked.

“Of course not.” She replied, she wouldn't take the blame for Uchiha's and Uzumaki's mess.

“It's their fault!” She pointed at the boys. “They had to start trouble.” Poor innocent Ino, nearly seduced into the clutches of these monsters.

“Actually...” A brave boy raised his hands and Iruka turned to him.

Briefly Sakura met the eyes of the boy. He gulped, loosing all color.

“Actually they totally started it sensei.” He shivered.

Iruka blinked, then nodded and rounded on Sasuke and Naruto, who looked at Sakura as if she had grown a second head.

She for her part pulled Ino closer to her. She had to protect the girl, no way would she allow her to die again. At least not before herself.

- - -

Sasuke didn't understand why Sakura apparently hated him... and Naruto, even if she had ample reason to hate him, she had none to hate Naruto for. He didn't fail to protect her... well actually if she died first...

Well that explained that. And she probably wouldn't just forgive and forget like Naruto. She could hold a grudge.

Still, his charms would win her over, hopefully. Especially the way she held Ino, if she suddenly admitted to her other leanings bedtime fun had just gotten so much more interesting.

He grinned lecherously. That is till Iruka started lecturing him again. Tuning him out was easy though, so all he had to do was nod every now and again and say yes Iruka sensei. Like a woman really.

Only women tended to beat the shit out of you if they noticed, so not...

Iruka's fist connected firmly with Sasuke's head.

Ok exactly like a woman. Maybe he should mention that to Naruto.

“Sasuke are you listening at all?” Iruka screamed at him.

The rest of the class looked at Sasuke as if he was insane or something. Only Naruto and Sakura didn't look like that.

Naruto frowned, obviously thinking and Sakura glared, groping Ino.

And what a beautiful image that presented. He knew he should listen to Iruka, but he couldn't stop his mind from wandering.

“I give up. Here's your test paper Sasuke, you have three hours detention after class.” Iruka muttered, shaking his head.

“Wonder what the hell is wrong with him... and if this is actually an improvement.” Sasuke heard Iruka whisper to himself, while walking away and handing out the papers to the other students.

Sasuke flew over the questions. Easy enough, with Sakura's help he had aced them the first time. Even Naruto had managed a decent grade.

He looked at his two friends... hopefully still friends. Well, Naruto had already started to forgive him. Probably because they had a second chance now. And even Sakura couldn't stay angry forever... right?

He had to suppress a snort, as he watched their faces. Both looked at their papers with disdain. However the source of their disdain couldn't be more diverse.

Naruto simply hated the paperwork itself. He always considered it a waste of his time. Probably because his father spend as much time complaining about the paperwork as he did.

Sakura on the other hand would consider the questions on the paper as beneath her notice.

He noticed that Ino had regained consciousness and escaped from Sakura's area of influence. Pity that.

He sighed as he focused his attention on the paper again. He might not know what happened, or why he had been granted this second chance. However he would do his best to keep his friends safe and to make his clan proud.

- - -

Naruto glared at the paper. Not because the question were particularly hard, or because it would waste precious time, he glared because he had no idea what to do.

On the one hand, he could ace the test, easy. He had gained more than enough knowledge in his years on the road to pass this test with ease. On the other if he did that he may not end up on Team 7.

Then there was Mizuki. And, more importantly, Naruto learning Shadowclones. He could probably fake his way through the test. He filled out a few questions at random. But at some point he would have to explain where he learned the dangerous technique.

He glanced at Sakura, who took another drag from the bottle she carried with her, then resumed glaring at her paper.

A second later she started writing, fast furious with a lot of anger.

He looked around the class, people were still trembling from her earlier display of killing intent.

And he didn't blame them, only S-Class missing Nin gave off as much killing intent. And only the fox managed to give of more.

No wonder they couldn't just shake it off.

His attention wandered to Sasuke. What did he mean, when he said the fox wasn't in him anymore?

Naruto sighed and looked at the paper. He would have to ask the Uchiha. There was a silver-lining however. Sasuke seemed to regard him as a friend. A good one too and one he had failed, not by killing, but by not protecting him enough.

That decided it, he would do just well enough to pass... scratch that, he would fail, it would be easier to explain where he knew the shadowclones from and he could bag Mizuki in the process.

- - -

Sakura glared at the test. She should have expected it, really. But still, this was beneath her. She could have answered the questions in a drug induced stupor while simultaneously killing an a few enemy infiltrators.

Bah, she scrabbled the answers down. If she wanted a chance to kill the two bastards, however weird they were, she would have to be on their team. And the only way to get on their team, was to be the best kunoichi in the class.

Not exactly difficult, but annoying.

Ino had distanced herself from Sakura, with which Sakura didn't have a problem. She didn't want to get too close to Ino. She would protect the girl with all she had, yes. But to get close... she would fail, you couldn't not fail sometimes, fact of life.

And maybe, just maybe it would cost Ino her life. Sakura took a deep gulp from the bottle. If she got close to Ino again... she might not be able to go on living. And she wouldn't give up. She had sacrificed too much to give up now.

Shaking she concentrated on the test. Damn thing couldn't even distract her... she had already finished it... damn.

“Iruka sensei?” She beckoned him to her.

The entire class looked at her strangely.

Iruka looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Yes Sakura? Do you have a problem?” He asked.

“Yeah, the questions are too easy. Can I have a harder test?”

She could hear the sigh of relief go through the class. Sure, she still acted weird, but at least the weird kinda fit her.

Iruka shook his head. “You can't be done yet Sakura. Even you...” He stared at her test paper, then grabbed it and examined it. Flying from question to question.

“That was fast...” He stammered finally, staring at her in shock.

“Well, yeah, can I have another test? Maybe the chunin one? I heard they are kinda difficult.” She answered. Not that they really would provide much of a challenge, but something to alleviate the boredom.

“I'm also done Iruka Sensei!” Sasuke said, grinning.

The Uchiha grinned! Grinned!

Sakura stared at the freak of nature. What. The. Hell?

Ok, something fishy was going on. The Uchiha flirting with Ino had been weird enough. But that could have been written off as an anomaly, or some plot to ensnare Ino into his schemes. But this? An honest to god happy grin?

Damn, she would have to get to the bottom of this.

Iruka, wandered over to Sasuke, a bit unsteady on his feet. Not everyday that a student finished the written test in under ten minutes Sakura bet.

He flew over Sasuke's answers, and nodded numbly. “These seem to be correct, just like Sakura's.” He said, slowly, his voice a little bit shaken.

“So does that mean I get out of detention?” Sasuke asked, all white eyed innocence.

Iruka blinked for a second, and glared at his student. “No.” He stated flatly, apparently shaken out of his stupor.

“Didn't think so.” The Uchiha shrugged.

Naruto giggled. The rest of the class attempted futilely to focus on their tests.

“Can we go outside then? Prepare for the combat test?” Sakura piped up. Maybe she could spar with the Uchiha, that would be... fun. For her and hopefully painful for the Uchiha.

She grinned at the boy, who gulped visibly.

“No, I'll get you the chunin level tests.” Iruka grinned at them. “Let's see how well you do on them.”

Damn, shouldn't have given him the idea. Sakura though.

- - -

Naruto waited for the last part of the test. If you knew the answers to every question it would be easy to fail the written test. He reflected.

But to barely not fail it?

He had a new found respect for Shikamaru, who didn't just do it for one test.

Luckily Naruto didn't have to fake on the combat exam. His body didn't follow his controls exactly. He was sure Sakura could explain why it didn't, probably because he just didn't have the proportions of his old body or something, but it followed his orders well enough.

He once had to listen to Sakura lecturing him about muscle memory and how it wasn't actually his muscles that remembered but his brain, and how that was the only reason he could learn with his shadowclones. He suspected that this body still had some muscle memory from before he inhabited it, which meant that, as long as he didn't think about it too much, he could punch and kick well enough.

Sakura and Sasuke had the same problem apparently. Though the both of them did manage to do better than him. Sakura even managed to do better than Sasuke, which was kinda weird, considering that Sasuke's body should be better suited to combat.

After all Sasuke trained his body far harder than Sakura, at least before the chunin exam.

Though, he frowned, Sakura just did better in the form. Sasuke, while far more sloppy also moved far faster. Much better suited to real combat.

Of course, in this test that wouldn't matter, only form mattered, since the genin wouldn't face actual combat too soon, their Jonin would have to make sure they were ready for that.

So Sakura might actually get better grades than Sasuke.

Naruto grinned, wouldn't that be neat. He almost waved at Sakura, before her glare reminded him that maybe discretion would be the better part of valor.

Sasuke also kept away, from Sakura and Ino.

Ino had tried to go closer to him, but Sakura's glares made sure that Sasuke kept a nice and safe distance.

Which was another surprise, Sasuke didn't seem to want to keep that distance. Whenever Sakura didn't glare at him, in other words, when she didn't look at him. He shot her sad glances, her or Ino...

Naruto sighed, another mystery. Once the test was over... no, once they had been assigned to Kakashi, then he could talk to Sasuke... and hopefully Sakura.

But first... Mizuki.

- - -

Sakura frowned when she noticed a dejected Naruto leave the academy. She stood outside, her parents were congratulating her.

She smiled brightly, nodded at them and generally did her best to fake happiness.

She had managed to avoid her parents all day but now... now she had to face them.

It was easier than facing Ino, which actually made it worse.

She knew, that her parents loved her. She could see it written all over their faces. But she didn't love them. They had just drifted apart over the years, where Ino always stayed at her side.

And so, when her parents died... it hadn't hurt. She had felt sad, for a day or two. But she got over it, like she did with the dead of other people. Civilians, killed in the fighting, swept aside by the claw of a chakra monstrosity or by a careless ninjutsu.

And now... she desperately wanted to drain the bottle she held in the storage scroll at her side. But...

She couldn't, not in front of her parents.

So, Naruto, thinking about him was better than thinking about how much she didn't miss her parents.

He looked dejected, if you were a rookie. To Sakura he looked as if he had a plan, she frowned.

“Sakura? Is something wrong?” Her mother asked, following her gaze.

“Oh... he failed the academy right?” She asked.

Sakura nodded, if you took his expression at face value he did. But she would bet every scrap of alcohol the world had to offer that he wanted to fail.

“That's good I suppose, I mean... he's such a troublemaker...” Sakura's mother looked around uneasy.

“Yeah...” Sakura nodded. Damn, hearing the whispers around her, saying how good it was that Naruto failed... kinda make it hard to blame him for leaving.

She had forgotten how bad he had been treated. She shook herself, even if did have a legitimate reason for betrayal. That didn't excuse him cooking up the chakra beasts and unleashing them on the world.

Sasuke left the academy, a proud grin on his face. A grin which fell as soon as he realized that nobody was waiting for him. He hung his head, hiding his face from Sakura.

Damn it. Why did they make her feel sorry for them? Sasuke had unleashed an army of freaky, messed up ninja on the world, in an attempt to outdo Naruto in destructive potential.

“That poor boy... to be so alone...” Her mother muttered. Sakura's father just grunted. Sakura had to suppress a giggle, as far a he was concerned it didn't matter who the boy was. As long as there was a male around his daughter he wouldn't be happy.

“Mom, Dad?” Sakura asked, she had to get away from here. “I'll go look for Ino,” who had thankfully already left, “to celebrate.”

“Have fun dear.” Her mother said, while her father grunted in approval.

Had he always been like that? She couldn't remember. As soon as she couldn't see her parents anymore she pulled out a bottle and downed it's content. She had no intention of meeting up with Ino. No, Naruto planned something, and she wouldn't let him do whatever it was, without at least keeping an eye on him.

- - -

Sasuke walked through the streets of Konoha, around him people whispered, thinking he couldn't hear them.

They whispered about him, about the last Uchiha... the last, when Madara was somewhere out there, plotting, preparing. He had no doubt about that.

He didn't know what exactly happened, to kill his family. But he had no doubt, that Madara had his hands in it, somehow.

He sighed, but without the Kyuubi Sasuke couldn't do much against him. The highest form of the Sharingan might be able to hurt Madara, but... he would have to go to Itachi for those eyes. And if he was the last Uchiha... good luck asking a corpse for his eyes.

And that was assuming Itachi even had the magenkyo...

He reached his apartment. But then, he just tried to avoid thinking about what really hurt him. He was alone. He had no clan, no mother, no brother. He didn't even have friends. Naruto didn't wait for him, though maybe that was just the fact that he didn't pass the exam, he had looked so sad, walking out of the examination room... Sasuke had wanted to go up to him, tell him that he would pass next time.

But he had kept back, reminding himself that Naruto probably wouldn't appreciate him doing that.

Not as angry as he still would be.

He hadn't dared approach Sakura. Where Naruto was merely pissed she was murderous. No way he would go close to her until she calmed down somewhat. It could only take years...

He flopped onto his bed. Tomorrow would look better. It had to! If it didn't... he didn't know how long he could take this.

- - -

Naruto stopped near the little hut he remembered from the last time, he stole this scroll.

Here Mizuki would find him, here he would reveal the secret to him, and here Naruto would show Iruka that he learned how to use shadow clones.

Only one problem. Somebody had followed him, he had felt the presence, on and off, since his meeting with Mizuki, he couldn't pinpoint it, he only had the slightest idea of his followers existence.

The only thing he was sure of, was that it wasn't Mizuki. The idiot simply didn't have the skills necessary to follow him like that. Few people had.

Well, it would take a while until Mizuki and Iruka would show up, so he had time for a little chat. He had hoped to have another look at the scroll. But, his shadow was more important.

“I know you're there, you might be good, but you aren't nearly good enough to hide from me.” He shouted.

The leafs rustled in the wind. Some insects chirped in the night.

And absolutely no sound reached his ears.

He frowned, standing still, his stalker could hide even from him.

He didn't have time for this. Well ok he had, but still, he would prefer if he could just get on with it. Maybe learn another jutsu to pass the time. He didn't want to wait for this stalker to attack him from the shadows.

A faint whiff of alcohol warned him of the attack. He whirled around, kunai in hand, a smirk on his face. He faced an empty forest, just as expected.

“Not bad.” Sakura's voice came from behind, a kunai at his throat. “Not bad at all.”

He opened his mouth to respond, but the kunai cut his throat before he could make a sound.

“Now come out!” Sakura shouted, as the shadowclone disappeared.

Naruto gulped, if that had been him...

And she didn't hesitate, didn't give him a chance to explain. She just killed him. Granted, she did seem to expect it to be a shadowclone, but what if she had been wrong?

And she was drunk. His clone had smelled her a few seconds before she had reached him. And afterward...

The fact that she could still sneak up on him like that, while drunk like that... he didn't like the implications, didn't like them at all.

“I said come out Uzumaki!” She screamed, killing intend flaring.

Damn that still disturbed him, how could a little girl radiate enough killing intend to rival the kyuubi?

“Alright already.” He shouted back and jumped down, to join her. Even with her killing intend, she couldn't touch him.

He choose not to think about the clone, he had recovered from worse wounds.

“Hello Uzumaki.” She growled.

“Sa...” He stopped himself. If she wouldn't call him by his first name, neither would he. “Haruno.” He gave her a short nod, she just stared at him. Eyes burning.

“What do you want?” He finally asked.

She continued to glare, then sighed and took a drag from her bottle.

“To talk.”

Naruto could see her restraining herself.

This must be pretty hard for her. And he still had no idea why she hated him like that.

“Talk?” He asked, looking at the kunai she still held in her hand. “That why you killed my clone?” He glared at her. “To talk?”

She grinned. It reminded him far too much of the way Kyuubi grinned, all teeth, no humor.

“No, that was for fun.”

Yeah, utterly like the Kyuubi.

“And why should I talk to you?” He asked. Not that he didn't agree. But there came a point where you just had to push back, or your opponent would just assume they could walk all over you.

She just glared at him, like she did the entire time since he showed up in the past.

He rolled his eyes, talk she said.

“I thought you wanted to talk Haruno.” And damn did that hurt. He wanted to call her Sakura, move in and hug her, make the pain go away, because he could see pain, anybody who couldn't had to be blind.

But he didn't, he liked living without kunai wounds in sensitive places.

“I hate you.” She finally said, as if that wasn't perfectly clear to him already.

“I hate you, and everything you stand for.” She continued. “I hate the way you talk, the way you move, that stupid grin of yours, that god damn look of pity you give me right now...”

She rammed the bottle into her mouth and emptied it completely.

“I hate this. You are here, alive. Ino's alive, my parents are alive, everybody's alive. And still... and still...” She pulled out a scroll, ripped her thumb open and unsealed another bottle of some alcohol.

She proceeded to empty that bottle too.

He didn't dare go closer, he had no doubt, that if he did he would end up skewered on her kunai.

“And still it hurts! It hurts even worse, cause I don't give a damn! For all I care you all can die again! Especially you! And The Uchiha! You mass-murdering bastards should rot in hell! But you are alive!” Suddenly she stood in front of him, bottle and kunai were gone, as she grabbed him by the collar and shook him.

“Why are you still alive? When so many aren't? Why the fuck did you die? You should have to life with the consequences! But no, you and the Uchiha kill each other, and let the rest of us deal with the monsters you created!” He didn't resist, he didn't dare to.

What had happened after Sasuke killed him? It must have been something bad, something very bad, to affect Sakura like this.

And the worst part, the part that really chilled him, was the realization that she didn't cry. She just stared at him, hatred burning behind her eyes.

“Why...” She whispered, and threw him away.

“I don't know.” He whispered back. He didn't have the slightest idea what she meant, what she went through. He only knew that she hurt.

And that she wouldn't accept his help, not yet at any rate. Maybe later, after she opened up a bit. But not now.

She took a shaking breath, then pointed at the scroll, that lay forgotten at his feet.

“Why did you steal that?” She asked, having regained some control at least.

He looked at the scroll. “It's a ninjutsu scroll, Mizuki wants it.”

“I know, why did you steal it. You had to know he would try to take it from you.”

“It has the instructions on how to make shadowclones.” He answered.

Sakura nodded. “An explanation for why you can use them.”

“Yes, and I can expose him for the traitor he is.” He added.

Her eyes narrowed at him. “That's rich coming from you.”

The way she said it... but he wouldn't press, not yet.

“It's how I passed the exam the first time.” He was pretty sure she had traveled back with him, actually it was the only explanation he could think of, for her behavior just now. But it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

“I always wondered. You just showed up, after failing...” She whispered.

“Do you want to stay? Iruka will arrive at dawn...”

“Didn't you and Sasuke have detention?” She asked.

“Eh, skipped it.” Naruto shrugged. He doubted Iruka even bothered to look for them, after they left the academy. Contrary to what he had said, once you passed, you passed. And once you flunked you flunked. Until you were back in class that is.

She snorted weakly, before her eyes hardened again.

“I'll stay, and watch. Don't expect me to talk.”

“You know about the Kyuubi I assume?” If she didn't...

“Of course.”

“Good, it's how I found out, the first time.”

“Whatever.” She muttered, then disappeared, hiding somewhere in the forest.

Naruto shook his head sadly, then settled down with the scroll, he still had time, maybe he could learn a jutsu or two.
Kirai

Unread postby Dechstreme » April 14th, 2010, 8:55 am

Are they ever going to compare notes to discuss how they come from different realities?
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Kirai » April 14th, 2010, 9:36 am

As soon as they have some time to order their thoughts... and Sakura manages to limit her murderous urges^^

Remember it's only a few hours since they entered this new life. At the end of the chapter not even a full day has passed.
Kirai

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » April 14th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Excellent, truly excellent. I especially liked how Sasuke thinks that Naruto and Sakura are the same ones he knew, just angry at him for getting them killed, as opposed to being from other realities where he betrayed them.
The tacklehug was sheer awesome.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Kirai » April 20th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Alright, here's chapter two:
Fragments

- - -

New Neighbors and reasons to drink

- - -

Naruto grinned happily as he felt the weight of the headband settle on his head.

Even if he had done it once before, getting Iruka's acknowledgment felt good. It felt as if he belonged.

Now if only he didn't also feel the burning on the back of his head, the one that signified that Sakura choose it as a suitable receptacle for one of her kunai.

She hadn't left the entire night, and in the end he couldn't concentrate enough to learn even one more jutsu from the scroll. He did managed to memorize the idea though. That would be enough to work them out on his own, later.

“Let's go get some ramen Iruka!” He shouted. Neutral ground, where Sakura couldn't just kill him and any witnesses seemed like a good idea to him.

Iruka laughed, shaking his head. “Of course Naruto, we need to get somebody to collect Mizuki though.”

“Bah, we'll just tell an Anbu on the way or something.” Naruto dismissed his teacher.

He just hoped Sakura wouldn't decide to finish the chunin. That could make this way more complicated than it had to.

He looked around briefly but couldn't sense her at all, not even a whiff of alcohol... he had gotten used to that awfully fast.

- - -

Sakura finished the jutsu, and felt new energy course through her. Watching Naruto pour over the scroll kinda felt like watching Madara pour over his.

The same kind of concentration, shaken by the knowledge that somebody watched, somebody who could kill them any second they choose to do so.

She smirked. Maybe they could have fought back, maybe not. But if they wanted a chance to defend themselves, they needed to keep an eye out for her.

It reminded her of many such nights. At first spend with her teammates.

After the clash only her captain could be spared.

After Konoha had been destroyed, together with Ino.

And finally alone, watching a target, observing it's habits, until she could be sure to win.

She had shivered then, telling herself it had been the night air.

Still, she wandered into the academy. Naruto had only been interested in exposing Mizuki and gaining an explanation for his usage of shadowclones. That he tried to learn other jutsu? Who cared, she had her own and those were all she needed.

She opened the door to the classroom, scanning the students already there.

In one corner sat Hinata Hyuuga. Sakura glared at her, another traitor. Following Naruto to satisfy her little crush.

Hinata shrank back from Sakura's glare, trying to hide herself.

Sakura shook herself. If Sasuke had taken her with him...

Sighing she tried to smile at the shy girl. It came off as a grimace, but better than the glare.

Luck of the draw. If Hinata had stayed, maybe she wouldn't have become as obsessive with continuing Naruto's legacy, breeding monsters, attempting to take over the world with them...

And if Sasuke had taken Sakura with him... well, who knew.

She searched for Ino, who glared at her, but didn't shrink back in fear, like yesterday.

“Hey Ino.” She should stay away, really she should. But Ino... she had been the only one left. And if she had a chance to talk to her again. Then she would risk it, so what if Ino could die again? So could Sakura. And this time Sakura would die before Ino did, or immediately after.

“What do you want crazy lesbian?” Ino growled back, holding her head high and hiding the slight tremble very well indeed.

“Hehe, still upset over my little prank yesterday?” Sakura asked grinning. With Ino she could grin, the easy companionship comforting her.

“Yes! I mean no!” Ino screeched.

Ah, so easy to rile her up. Sakura snickered. It had been very hard to get anything out of Ino but a grunt, close to the end. But then, Sakura hadn't exactly said much either. She moved, enveloping Ino in a hug. It had all been said at that point anyway.

“Don't leave me again.” She whispered into the startled Ino's ear.

“What the hell... are you drunk?” Ino pried Sakura off her and stared at her face. Sakura nodded, giggling.

“Yeah, I'm celebrating.” Good booze and you, she didn't say.

“We aren't supposed to drink.” Ino whispered back, shock written all over her face. “What if Iruka noticed it?”

Sakura rolled her eyes. “So what? He won't.”

The door opened and Sasuke entered the room, he looked around. His face carefully optimistic, a hopeful grin tugged on his lips, once he spotted Sakura.

Sakura almost gave in, instead she glared back. He couldn't be trusted. He only cared for revenge, nothing else mattered.

And it didn't matter that he didn't act like Sasuke at all. He looked too much like Sasuke to not be Sasuke.

“What the hell forehead? What's it with you giving Sasuke the evil eye? Normally you would be all over him.” Ino looked at her strangely.

“And you wouldn't?” Sakura returned the question.

“Well of course, he's the best catch ever!” Ino said as if that was a law of Nature. “But, I just have to know why you suddenly changed your mind. Did you find anything that made him...” She leaned in, making sure nobody was listening. “undesirable?”

She finished lamely.

“You mean beside the massive mental problems? The pathological need for revenge? The disregard for anything female?”

“He's gay?” Ino shouted, eyes wide in horror.

The entire class looked first at her, then at Sasuke.

“Makes a lot of sense...” One boy nodded.

“Yeah always wondered why he didn't take one of the girl up on their offers.” Another said.

“And you know in the showers....”

Sasuke watched the speculation in growing panic, Sakura noted in amusement.

“Well, it's one explanation.” She said, shrugging.

“I'm not gay!” Sasuke shouted, storming towards Sakura.

In that moment Naruto entered the room, exactly in front of Sasuke. The two collided, falling to the floor, Sasuke on top of Naruto, noses nearly touching.

Sakura suppressed the blush that threatened to rise easily. Ino didn't.

“You mean he and Naruto?” She whispered.

“If you kiss me again there will be pain.” Naruto said evenly, danger swinging with every word.

“Kiss you again? I never, ever kissed you before!” Sasuke shouted back.

The whispering in the room reached a new level.

Naruto blinked, while Sakura narrowed her eyes.

The other kids might think Sasuke was just denying. But Sakura knew better, he had never kissed Naruto, or at least thought he didn't. And with every other change in his behavior...

Damn, she had no idea what it meant. But he may not be the Sasuke she remembered...

“Settle down!” Iruka shouted. “Naruto, Sasuke get to your seats.”

The two boys scrambled away from each other. Trying not to look like they were looking at each other.

Sakura nearly snickered, if she hadn't been a good as she was, they would probably have succeeded too, she was fairly certain she was the only one who noticed the looks exchanged.

“I'll now assign you your teams and Jonins.” Iruka said to the now quite class.

“After your assignment you have a short break, to get to know your team.”

The boys and girls looked at each other excitedly. Pity most of them wouldn't make it past their teachers tests.

- - -

This was so unfair! Sakura knew perfectly well that he was not gay! But now the entire class thought he was.

No thanks to Naruto. He glared at the blond.

He had never kissed him. Never! If he had he would remember damn it!

Naruto looked at him, but instead of the anger Sasuke had expected Naruto looked back with... curiosity?

“Team 7...” Sasuke perked up as he heard his team designation.

“Haruno Sakura.” He could see Sakura sit up straight.

“Uzumaki Naruto” Naruto gave Sakura a look, Sasuke had no idea what it meant, but Sakura returned it with narrowed eyes.

“And Sasuke Uchiha.” Iruka finished.

All three members of Team 7 nodded, and settled down again.

Sasuke wanted to cheer, but he doubted it would be appreciated. Especially by Sakura.

He remained quite, while Iruka finished assigning the teams. Sasuke remembered only some of the teams. Most had failed after all, at least the first time.

“Ok, you have one hour to get to know your team, if you don't already know each other.” Iruka finished smiling, he looked at Naruto for a second. Sasuke frowned, why would Iruka worry about Naruto... and why had Naruto failed yesterday? He had been too trained to think about it then, but Naruto had failed... though that had obviously been planed. Naruto's presence here proofed that.

Still, something...

“Up Uchiha.” Sakura stood in front of him, and looked down. Her gaze hard, but not quite a glare.

Naruto stood beside her. “Yeah Sasuke, let's get out of here. We need to talk.”

And if that wasn't the greatest understatement of the millennium...

“Yeah.” He muttered. Though he did smile at Naruto, who did smile back.

Things were definitely looking up.

- - -

They sat on the roof of the academy, eating their lunch in silence. Well Naruto and Sasuke were eating. Sakura had apparently opted for a liquid breakfast.

“You shouldn't drink this early in the morning.” Sasuke admonished her and blinked. “Or at all! You are twelve!” He added.

“I'll drink when and however much I want asshole.” Sakura growled back. “Also, I'm 22. So very much able to drink, thank you very much brat.”

Naruto sighed, this was still better than her flaring her killing... “22!”

Both Naruto and Sasuke shouted, shocked.

“I would quip about the world not stopping after you two killed each other, but I suspect you aren't the same egoistical brats I know.” Sakura shrugged.

Naruto glanced at Sasuke, who still hadn't gotten over his shock.

“No I doubt we are. For example Sasuke here is way, way too cheerful to be the one who stuck a chidory down my chest.”

Sasuke whirled around gasping. “I did what?”

Sakura stared flatly at Naruto. “Suppose that's better than getting burned alive by amaterasu....”

Sasuke shuddered. “Yeah that's extremely unpleasant...”

Now Sakura and Naruto stared at him.

“Wait, you were burned by amaterasu?” Naruto asked horrified. That had to be one of the most painful deaths ever.”

“Yeah, I managed to wound Madara pretty badly. But... he was just so fast. Got me then.” Sasuke hung his head.

Naruto frowned slightly. “I fought against you. It was a double knockout, we would have died, if Madara hadn't shown up.”

Sakura, he noticed, watched them with some interest.

“He said he only needed me alive, not in good health, to extract the fox. Then you...” He pointed at Sasuke, but immediately shook his head. “No the Sasuke from where I came, did something with the sharingan...”

Sasuke nodded. “Yeah, the fourth and Itachi taught me how to manipulate time and space with the sharingan. And once the fox gave me his power... all of it... I could do... something. I can't explain it...”

Naruto almost smiled as the Uchiha trailed off, to look at Naruto in dawning comprehension.

“You are a jinchuriku too?” He asked, a small smile forming on his lips.

Naruto nodded. “Well the only one here, since you said you don't have the fox anymore. The fox probably merged with the one in my stomach or something.”

Sasuke nodded. “Yeah. You have no idea ho glad I am that it's you that has the fox. Imagine if it was somebody like Danzo.”

Naruto shuddered. “You said something about the fourth teaching you... my father was alive? Where you come from I mean?”

Sasuke looked down, but nodded. “Yeah, so he isn't here.” He looked at Naruto's stomach. “He sacrificed himself yes?”

Naruto just nodded.

Sasuke continued. “Yeah, back home... “ He stumbled over his words, and had to start again. “Back home my own father sacrificed himself. He realized that Madara was probably planing something, and that this attack would further the segregation of the Uchiha.”

Sasuke looked around. “It happened here didn't it? The Uchiha were driven out of the village slowly and then... something happened.”

Naruto looked at Sakura, who had been quite through their conversation. But she didn't seem inclined to say anything now.

“Yeah, Itachi killed them all.” He said, quietly.

Sasuke's eyes widened in apparent horror. “No, no way.”

Naruto debated, whether to tell him that it happened on Konoha's orders, or not.

“They... they wouldn't have tried that would they?” Sasuke whispered. “They couldn't have planned to actually do it...”

Naruto looked at him sharply. “What do you mean.”

Sasuke shook his head. “My father had been right, Madara had planned something. However, because the fourth was alive and my father sacrificed himself to stop the kyuubi the clan were considered heroes. We were integrated further into the village, instead of driven to the sidelines.”

He leaned back. “Still, Madara tried to incite us into rebellion. It didn't work... but if my father hadn't sacrificed himself...”

Naruto nodded, he glanced at Sakura, who watched them impassively. No way to read her face at all. No way to see how this affected her.

“I... I don't want to know why Itachi did it do I?” Sasuke asked.

Naruto shook his head. “No, probably not.”

Sasuke nodded. “Then don't tell me. I don't need to know. I have seen where hatred leads. I don't want to follow Madara's footsteps.”

Sakura snorted, took a long drag from the bottle on her side and laughed in earnest.

“This is so messed up. The Uchiha actually being part of the leaf. Sasuke having a sheltered happy childhood... him not being a brooding moody bastard after more and more power...”

She laughed madly, not stopping at all. Damn, Naruto could hear the pain in the laughter. And from what she told him, he could imagine why. Obviously Sasuke had betrayed her team, just like he had betrayed his. But, if this Sasuke, who sat with them had been on her team... maybe it would have been different. Maybe all the pain... He sighed no use thinking about what if's. It had happened, now you moved forward.

His eyes widened as Sasuke moved forward, towards the hysterical girl. Naruto opened his mouth to stop the suicidal fool. He would get himself killed and he didn't have the Kyuubi to regenerate from kunai wounds to the chest.

“I'm sorry.” He muttered, as he actually hugged the hysteric girl.

Sakura stopped and looked at the boy, murder in her eyes. Naruto saw her hand go for one of the pouches on her side, but Sasuke shifted his position slightly, pinning her hand.

“I'm sorry for what I did, that hurt you so much. I... I can't make it up to you.” He looked at her, admirably fighting the flinch when he looked into her eyes, when he faced the hatred Naruto had faced yesterday.

But his face hardened. “But I can make the future better. This time I will protect you.”

Sakura had stopped struggling, but those words were definitely the wrong ones.

If anything she looked at Sasuke with more hatred than before. “I don't need your protection brat. I have fought enemies that would make you piss your pants. I have done things that would make you loose your stomach.” She spat at him.

“I'm not a dainty little flower that will swoon the second you show up to safe her. I've killed more often than you can imagine. Your protection is about as necessary for me as a kunai to back.”

She twisted her hand into a seal, and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

A second later she stood behind Sasuke, kunai at his throat. “I can kill you whenever I please. Naruto might have protection from instant dead thanks to the Kyuubi. You? Don't!”

Sasuke turned around, wiping her spit off his face. And smiled. “I know.” Man to hide his shaking like that... he was pretty damn good, had to give it to him.

“But you are my friend. Even if you aren't exactly her. And I don't leave my friends when they hurt. I will make it better.”

Sakura glared for a few more seconds, then turned away and sat down, facing away form them.

Naruto grinned widely, almost monstrously. He liked this Sasuke. He had balls, he had the right attitude and he stood by his friends. Even if they were very different than what he remembered.

“Well. Let's continue with our explanation on why we are here shall we?” Naruto said, hooking his arm around Sasuke, who looked at him first in shock, then in elation.

“Yeah, you haven't finished your story yet Naruto.” Sasuke said.

- - -

Sakura barely listened to Naruto's story, or Sasuke's angry growls, whenever he did something stupid in the story.

She stared out, over the Konoha, damn the brat. Damn him to hell. How dare he... how dare he...

She didn't whimper, but she wanted to. She gulped, how had he affected her like this? She actually felt like crying! Not that the tears were hard to suppress, but she didn't even felt like that when meeting Ino. Why now? She spend only a year with those bastards. And yet and yet...

“Sakura? How did you come back?” Naruto asked gently from behind her.

She didn't react. She didn't know how.

There were so many things she wanted to do, to say. And some of them would get her into trouble with the authorities. Especially with a body as weak as this one. She would have to train pretty hard, to get back to her toughness back in the hellhole.

“Come on Sakura-chan.” Sasuke seemed to approach her for another hug. She actually considered letting him!

“Madara.” She hissed, not turning around. She could feel the two recoiling though.

“He send me back.” She looked at the Hokage monument. “After the chunin exams, after the invasion...” Naruto nodded, she could feel it. Sasuke didn't. But his history probably had no Invasion and he only knew what she was talking about from Naruto's tale.

“First Sasuke left, to join sound. A day later Naruto disappeared. You were just gone. Hinata too.

“I don't know what you did, or how you managed it. Nobody left alive knows. But, when you returned....”

She turned around, to look at the boys. She wondered if the could see it. The monsters, following in Naruto's wake. Hordes of them, creatures shaped directly out of chakra. Bred only to kill.

“You led an army of monsters, whoever stood in your way died. Apparently you planned to conquer the world. And you wanted to start with Konoha.”

Naruto looked very green at this point. She took some small pleasure from it, but not much.

She returned to look at the monument. It hurt to remember. Those who could, never talked about it. And of those only Sakura and Kakashi managed to face Naruto, riding what appeared to be the Kyuubi. He had smiled, not his usual smile. But a cruel one, harsh, evil. Neither Sakura nor Kakashi had had any desire to step in his way, and kept hidden.

“Sasuke seemed tame by comparison.” She continued, shuddering. “He used humans. For a given value of human at least.” She looked at her two listeners.

“Maybe you faced some of Orochimaru's creations?”

Naruto nodded, while Sasuke shook his head.

“The fourth killed him, shortly after the Kyuubi attack.” Sasuke said.

Sakura shrugged, from what Madara said he had been brilliant, but he also hated Konoha with as much passion as Madara hated the Uchiha.

“Well, ask Naruto about them, they are rather frightening, once they have been turned into weapons. And Sasuke did turn them into weapons. Better weapons than Naruto's chakra beasts.

“Of course, Naruto had a lot more beasts than Sasuke had ninja.”

She clamped up. The battle, again at the Valley of the End. It had been renamed after the clash. The Valley of Worlds End. She had been there, watched the battle, seen the glee as her ex-teammates ripped into each other...

“It was a double knockout. Both killed each other. More than half their forces had been slaughtered, when they clashed.”

She wished it had been the most horrible thing she had ever seen. But that spot was reserved to one of the villages slaughtered by the chakra beasts, after they were freed of Naruto's control.

“The rest began to roam the nations. And, whatever they met, they killed.”

Sasuke looked green, Naruto shook with rage.

“I'll cut it short here. In the end the Nations were stretched thin, containing the monsters. Some more than others. Resources became scarce, people went to war. Again and again.”

Was Sasuke crying? Geez.

“When I met Madara there weren't any survivors from Konoha. The place had been razed so many times... by humans and monsters.”

She pulled out a new bottle and drained it in one go, she didn't want to remember those pictures.

“He told me that he might have a way to prevent this from happening. To send me to the past...”

Sasuke growled a little. “Why would he do that? Isn't that what he wants?”

Naruto looked at Sakura, who looked back, eyebrow raised.

“Nah, at least not where I come from.” Naruto answered. “He wanted peace, by forcing it on the entire world. The plan somehow involved the moon.”

Sakura snorted, she never said it to his face. But that plan had been doomed from the start. And it had been stupid. Also something she never mentioned.

“Yeah same here.” She backed Naruto up.

Sasuke gaped at them. “That's the most stupid thing I ever heard...” He got out, after a few seconds.

“Sure is.” Sakura confirmed. “Anyway. He send me out, to collect some stuff for the jutsu. Scrolls, potions etc. And then he used it to send me here.”

She smirked, as she turned around. “And lemme tell you. I love it. Decent booze a body that isn't horribly disfigured and doesn't hurt all the time.”

It had been so exhilarating, to feel young again, she nearly danced, only remembering at the last second, that these were the people who had ruined her world. At least potentially.

She settled down again, bringing her glare back. Even if not at full strength.

“Well, that's my story. Now what?” She looked at the boys in front of her.

- - -

Sasuke didn't know how to feel. When Naruto had told him his Clan was gone... it felt horrible. But, to have your entire world ripped apart, piece by piece until absolutely nothing was left?

He somehow didn't feel he had the right to complain. Besides, he did have his friends. Well at least Naruto.

But Sakura would come around. He had managed to hug her without getting eviscerated. Always a good sign.

Naruto cleared his throat. “I would have suggested following what happened last time as much as possible...” He looked at Sakura, hugging her bottle protectively, then at Sasuke, smiling tentatively.

And shook his head.

“But you'll both agree that's impossible. Sakura is just too messed up and Sasuke is... well not nearly messed up enough.”

Sasuke tried not to laugh at that, he really did! So it just became a girlish giggle. There went his manly street cred. Good thing there weren't any witnesses.

“You can say that again. He's disgustingly cheerful.” Sakura grumbled, glaring at him.

“I just have a positive outlook on the future. If you expect bad stuff to happen it will.” He repeated the fourths favorite rebuke to those who called him too optimistic.

“Bah, I'm sure you'll make good fertilizer once a monster craps you out.” Sakura laughed harshly.

“Heh, I'm way to good to die to one measly monster.”

“And there's your first mistake. You assume it will be one!”

“Shut up, both of you!” Naruto shouted, ever the voice of reason. “I still want to do a few things by the book.” He continued.

Sakura shrugged. “I assume you mean our book, since Sasuke doesn't have the same version?”

Sasuke looked at Naruto, a little hurt that he forgot.

“No I mean the book of this world. I mean I have no idea what happened, but this world looks more like ours, than it does like his. So we can assume...”

Sasuke cut him off. “Don't assume, it only leads to trouble.”

Sakura nodded, smirking nastily. “Or my blades, they so enjoy cutting up idiots who assume they can have fun with me, just because I'm alone in the wasteland.”

Sasuke decided not to think about that any further. He suspected that he would have to block a lot of thoughts on Sakura.

“Err, ok...” Naruto nodded, carefully. “But still, at the moment that's all we can do. So I want to go help wave out.”

Sasuke looked at Sakura, who stared at Naruto, before she shrugged. “If you can arrange it in such a way that Tazuna comes exactly when you start whining? Be my guest. I think I can think of some uses for Zabusas pretty bodyguard.”

She leered at the boys.

Sasuke shuddered. Ok he would not get into a relationship with her anytime soon. Anko always warned him of girls like Sakura. They had gone through too much and enjoyed hurting people too much to have a normal relationship.

“As long as he doesn't die.” Naruto muttered.

Sasuke felt rather left out, so he focused on the rather more imminent problem.

“Err you guys are aware we have to pass the test our jonin gives us first?” He asked.

Both looked at him blankly.

“It might not be that easy you know?” Sasuke tried again.

They continued to stare.

“Our sensei forced us to search the forest of death for a ring he lost in there. For three days! When we were fresh out of the academy!” Sasuke nearly shouted at them.

They blinked.

“Huh, sounds interesting.” Naruto muttered.

Sakura shrugged. “So what? Can't be all that hard.” then she remembered to glare. “Bastard.”

Overcompensating much? He didn't say, but it was encouraging. The fact that she already seemed to accept him.

And they were right. He had managed that once. He would again, if he had too.

Naruto opened his mouth. “Sadly we won't have to do anything like that. We have Kakashi as a sensei, remember? He will just give us the bell test.”

Sakura nodded, as Sasuke stood there and stared.

“The bell test? Are you sure?” He asked.

They nodded.

“Oh that's alright then. So, any of you have some food they are willing to share? I was kinda preoccupied this morning.”

They looked at each other, and shook their heads.

“Nah, we've been out late, kicking Mizuki's ass.” Naruto answered nonchalantly.

“Huh? Why?”

“Cause he's a dirty traitor, that's why.” Sakura said, equally nonchalant.

- - -

Naruto grinned at his teammates. Though Sakura's tale had chilled him somewhat, mostly because he realized just how close he came to that version of him on occasion. She told them, and revealed that part of herself.

And now, when she looked at them, some pain had left her eyes. Plenty left, but the healing had started.

“Alright! So we'll ace the bell-test,”

“Kick Kakashi's ass, always wanted to do that, but the bastard died on me, before I had the chance.” Sakura interjected.

“As I said, ace the bell-test, kick Kakashi's ass, try to get the wave mission, if necessary make them give it to us. I think I can keep a shadowclone close to the village gate to watch out for Tazuna ...”

Naruto continued to say.

Sasuke nodded, grinning happily. And damn if that didn't make Naruto happy. To see Sasuke not brood, to see him happy... ok it also scare the shit out of Naruto, but he would get over that sooner or later.

Sakura on the other hand. She glared at the two of them, grumbling something about overoptimistic brats. Seeing her, not brood, but certainly depressed... and drunk. And how did she managed to still stand? She should be unconscious by now. He could smell the alcohol, from a few feet away.

The last two bottles had to be sake. No way a little slip of a girl should be able to down that much alcohol...

Suddenly she stood up.

“Gotta go to the ladies room you two. Do me a favor and kill each other while I'm gone?” She said, disappearing in a puff of smoke.

“You know?” Said Sasuke, staring at the spot Sakura had just vacated, his voice shaking just a tiny bit. “I don't think I like this Sakura very much.”

Naruto grunted his agreement. “No kidding, she has quite the cheerful attitude doesn't she.”

“Yeah. Think it's the alcohol?”

“Definitely the alcohol.” Naruto agreed.

“Once we go to wave we destroy her supplies?”

“Sounds good.”

“Then it's agreed.” Sasuke held out his hand with a grin. Naruto glanced at it in confusion.

Sasuke's grin slipped, as he retracted his hand.

“Sorry, forgot that you weren't...” He murmured, turning away from Naruto.

“No no!” Naruto quickly stopped him. “Show me what you used to do. I'm sure it'll be fun.”

Sasuke looked back dubiously, then nodded, his smile returning.

“Well, you just kinda hold each others wrist and shake. Not much more, it's just a gesture we kinda made up when we were little... it's kinda stupid.” He trailed off, red from embarrassment.

“Hey we are little kids, kinda.” Naruto waved off, holding out his hand.

Sasuke nodded, taking Naruto's wrist. “Then it's a promise.” He said solemnly.

“It's a promise.” Naruto agreed.

“What are you two hatching?” Sakura grumbled from behind them.

Sasuke nearly jumped out of his skin, Naruto only managed to stop himself because he had smelled her a second ago.

“We promised not to kill each other, or even attempt to.” He lied smoothly. No way would he ever admit to the attempt off removing her alcohol.

“A true pity.” Sakura sighed, settling down again.

If she had been joking, if only she had been joking. Naruto would have felt better. True, there was no heat behind those words. But, she actually had hoped they would kill each other.

But he let it drop. He didn't have to life in a world where her actions led to everybody he ever loved dieing...

“So there's the chunin exam, after the wave mission.” Naruto tried to lead the conversation back to it's original topic.

Sakura waved him off. “Not interested in talking about it. It's too far off. Let's just focus on the bell test for now. We have no idea what has changed here yet. Maybe there won't even be a chunin exam.”

Naruto snorted. “Why not? And we have to be ready for...”

“Maybe this isn't anything like our world moron.” She cut him off. “Let's make sure to gather some info first. Before we make any more assumptions. Disgustingly cheerful over there had a point.”

Naruto sighed, but let it go. They would have more than enough time to talk about it later.

“Um, you know I just realized... shouldn't we maybe tell somebody about us?” Sasuke piped up.

Naruto stared at him. That, that actually was a good point.

But Sakura glared at Sasuke. “No way, I'm not going to tell everybody I meet I'm from the future in which everything went wrong somehow.”

“Not everybody. Just the Hokage, or Kakashi...” Sasuke defended himself.

The idea had merit, Naruto agreed. If they could get support...

“Then you can screw every bit of freedom we have as genin.” Sakura said. “We'll have to to the work we supposedly have already done before, give Intel to whoever ask for it. No thanks, I prefer to be considered a normal genin.”

Naruto felt his eyebrow rise, even as he watched Sasuke's do the same.

Sakura glared. She apparently couldn't do anything else.

“Ok fine, an exceptionally talented genin.” She conceded.

Their expression didn't change.

“With problems. You assholes. As if you... “She looked at Sasuke. “Well, you.” She pointed at Naruto. “Didn't have problems as well. I can practically see them!”

She had him pegged. Still...

“I trust the Hokage.” He said, Sasuke nodded beside him. Sakura glowered at them.

“But, in the interest of team unity and coherence...” He continued, alienating her now might spell the end for whatever agreement they had reached. “I'm willing to wait after wave, to reach a final verdict on the matter.” Wow, he managed to bring some real nice words in there. Maybe the perverts teachings weren't all in vain?

She looked at him, with narrowed eyes, before she snorted and nodded. “Fine, let's go back to class. Make a show of appearance, then do whatever we want. No point waiting for Kakashi.”

He nodded and pushed himself up. Sasuke already stood.

“Sharingan Kakashi?” He asked. “He's our teacher?” He cooked his head. “I don't know whether to be happy or depressed.”

Naruto looked at him in confusion. Sure, Kakashi needed some motivation to teach you. But they could provide that. And once he did get motivated he did a good job.

“Huh? Why would you be depressed that we got him?” Naruto asked.

Sakura shuffled after them, listening to the conversation, while glaring daggers at them. Funny how fast you could get used to that... or did just fall into old habits again? She did glare at him like that rather often. Even shortly before he died... kinda.

“Well.” Sasuke started, then leaned in conspiratorial. “Anko says that he's pretty broken and if he ever got a team. Well he would probably fixate on them like some kind of doting father and always consider us his children he needs to protect. No matter how strong we get.”

Anko again. Sasuke had mentioned her before...

“Well, maybe yours is like that.” Or maybe Anko is full of shit. “But this one doesn't have that problem.” Naruto assured Sasuke.

Sakura snorted.

“Am I wrong Sakura?” He asked.

“You just didn't have the unique opportunity to be his only surviving genin. Worst mother hen ever!” She answered him, before she turned away and pulled out another bottle... how many of the damn things did she have anyway?

“Uhh... I suppose...” He muttered.

Sasuke shifted nervously. “Uhh is he really that bad?”

Sakura sighed. “He wasn't. Not as long as you two were with us.”

“Oh... good thing we won't leave then.” Sasuke said cheerfully.

And damn, was that a smile on Sakura's face? Did miracles actually happen?

Naruto grinned to himself.

“Yeah, we won't leave you alone ever again!”

Oops that had been a bit much, she was back to glaring.

Sakura's face shifted again, to a dangerous leer. “Never alone? Ohh that sounds fun, I think I'll bring you to that club I know, only women allowed. You can use your sexy no jutsu.” She smirked at them.

Naruto gulped, he would rather not remember the times he used it like that.

Sasuke on the other hand...

“Sounds interesting. I assume Sexy no jutsu is a modified henge?”

Sakura stared at him. Naruto stared at him. Sasuke raised an eyebrow.

“What? I've always wanted to infiltrate a lesbian club.”

At this point Sakura started laughing like a madwoman.

All in all, Naruto decided. This iteration of team seven was off to a much better start than the last one.

- - -

Kakashi sighed as he looked at the door. He desperately hoped he would be able to fail them.

He didn't want to teach these kids. Not Sasuke, who would have so much to proof. Nor Naruto, who had even more to proof. Never mind the slight guilt he had, not watching over the kid like he should have. He tried, sure but he did have more on his plate than keeping an eye on a kid.

That's what chunin and genin were for.

The girl... well, she was smart, slightly above average in the physical tests, best in the written ones. She would one day make a fine kunoichi... just not under him.

He took a deep breath and opened the door. Maybe he could annoy them into doing something stupid and be rid of them all the faster. The bell test might not be necessary. Ok annoying his fresh genin had only worked once, but he could hope right?

He looked at the empty classroom. Well what do you know it had worked again.

“Oh so he is here already. I told you we should have asked that old lady for directions.” A young voice said from behind.

“But she seemed as lost on the road of life as we were.” Another voice answered.

Kakashi slowly turned around.

His missing genin had somehow appeared right behind him.

“True, but she had help across the road at least. Maybe she could have pointed us to the nice young man who helped her.” Naruto said.

“Maybe.” Sasuke nodded. “Anyway did you wait all this time for us Kakashi sensei?” He asked.

Kakashi stared at his students. The situation had spiraled badly out of control. His students had one upped him. And he hadn't even said a word yet!

A giggled came from behind the boys. A little pink haired girl... positively stinking of alcohol... the hell?

And she held a book. A familiar little book. “Ohh this is the best part.” She muttered to herself, totally engrossed.

“My first impression of you...” He said. The boys perked up. The girl apparently hadn't noticed him, too engrossed in her excellent literature.

“You did your homework. Meet me at the roof.” And with that he disappeared in a puff of smoke.

- - -

His team arrived an hour later. He had debated going to search for them, instead he had opted to read his book.

He didn't bother looking up as they arrived. “Punctuality is a virtue for every ninja.” He said.

The girl, who had somehow misplaced her book, shrugged. “Eh, we came across this kitten you know? All alone in a tree, we couldn't just leave it there could we?” She delivered it absolutely flat, no desire to appear at all concerned for the poor kitten.

“You left it all to the boys I assume?” Kakashi asked, looking at the boys.

“So what? If they had just let me cook it we would have been here an hour earlier.” She muttered, before sitting down.

He had never been so glad for his mask. This must be how Gai felt, whenever Kakashi played with him. Just totally out of his depth. Constantly on the loosing side of their verbal sparring.

“I... see.” He managed to utter.

“She's inhuman.” Sasuke glared at her. “She actually wanted to eat it!”

Naruto patted him on the back. “There there, we managed to stop her.”

She glared at the boys. “I'll have you know that fresh kitten is delicious.”

All three stared at her.

The worst thing in Kakashi's opinion? He couldn't tell if they were all just playing him... or if she was serious.

Not that his nin dogs would care. They would love somebody who ate kittens for breakfast, he just didn't think he would.

“Nearly as good as puppy.” She added, licking her lips. And looking at him, grinning!

His poor poor dogs. No way would they ever be left alone with her.

And did she fall into a barrel of sake or did she actually drink that much? Had to be the former, if she drank the sake to stink like that, she would be dead.

“So. Let's get to know each other.” He said, to break the very, very, awkward silence and to distract himself from the very disturbing girl.

“Tell us about your likes, dislikes, hobbies and dreams.” He smiled at them. Only Sasuke smiled back.

He mentally reviewed that sentence. Sasuke smiled back. His files said that he would rather slit his own throat than to smile. Ok, he wasn't quite that bad, but close.

“My name is Uchiha Sasuke, I like my friends...”

Kakashi sighed, there went Iruka's description of the boy, if only he could claim they were enemy infiltrators. But no infiltrator would ever make these kind of mistakes in assuming an identity.

“... I dislike those who would hurt my friends. My hobbies are training, flirting and... well that's private.” Hmm his face fell at the last point. Wait, flirting? He was a bit young for that.

Iruka had been totally wrong about the kid. He acted as if... as if the massacre had never happened.

Maybe he had an accident? A blow to the head and forgot about it? Things like that happened... ninja forgetting everything, friends, family, tragedies. And if you wanted to forget...

Iruka had noted that Sasuke acted strange yesterday. No, all three of them. Maybe they were under the influence of a genjutsu? Or maybe the accident caused trauma for all of them... but then he would have heard of it.

Oh well, nothing to do about it but watch them.

“My dream is to one day defeat a certain Uchiha.” Sasuke finished, fist clenched in determination.

Well, maybe he just forgot the worst of the massacre. Or maybe he talked to it about Sakura and Naruto. Which might just have given him the peace of mind necessary to ground him and allow him to find some peace?

Naruto on the other hand, humbled by the horrible experience the Uchiha had calmed down.

And Sakura, who grew up quite sheltered was driven to drink by the story.

Scarily plausible and probably wrong. Well, if they made it through his test he would have ample time to ferret the truth out, if.

“Ok. Naruto, you next.” Naruto, who had given Sasuke a thumbs up during his introduction, nodded.

“Well, you all know my name already. I like ramen, toads and training. I hate having to wait for my ramen and those who hurt my friends.” He paused, tilting his head to one side.

“My hobbies are... hmm training I suppose, not much else. And my dream? Well, I will become Hokage, but that isn't a dream.”

Kakashi stared at the boy. Everybody knew he wanted to become Hokage, but to put it like that, as if there was no question whatsoever...

“My dream is to protect all those I care about, no matter the opposition.” He smiled sadly. “But, that is just a dream I'm afraid.”

Kakashi looked at the blond long and hard, before this he wouldn't have thought the blond Hokage material. Now? At least he understood the responsibilities. If his skills could be brought up.

“Next one.” He muttered, still in thought.

“Whatever. I'm Haruno Sakura. I like sake, beer and any other form of alcohol. I dislike traitors and assholes messing with the laws of Nature. So pretty much every ninja including myself.”

Kakashi blinked, all thoughts of Naruto gone from his mind. Alcohol? So she actually drank that much? How did she keep standing?

“My hobbies are drinking, stalking my prey and sleeping. My dream is to taste every alcoholic beverage the world has to offer.” She smirked at him and her teammates.

“How... unique?” Kakashi ventured carefully.

“You mean messed up.” Sakura countered easily.

“You shouldn't drink like that.” Sasuke muttered disapprovingly, but Sakura send a glare his way and silenced him.

“Well, I suppose I should introduce myself?” Kakashi asked, to prevent them from squabbling, certainly not to stop himself from thinking too much about Sakura's answer. Besides once they failed his test he would be rid of them. Easy as that.

“What for?” Naruto asked. Sasuke glared at him, but Sakura nodded.

“You are late to everything, you read Icha Icha in public, your love for it is legendary, you got the sharingan. You visit the memory stone as often as possible and few have ever seen your face.” Sakura shrugged.

Kakashi opened his mouth, closed it and opened it again. No sound came out.

Naruto send a glance over to Sakura. “Oy, don't just list his negatives. Let's be fair here. He'll also never leave a comrade behind.” He cooked his head, face scrunched up, thinking. “Ok there was just that one positive, but still.”

Sakura rewarded Naruto with a flat stare. Sasuke tried to suppress his laughter but failed miserably.

“Umm...ok, as I said before, you did your homework. I suppose I did give you more than enough time.” Kakashi finally managed to say.

“Yeah yeah, get on with it.” Sakura waved him off and pulled a bottle from one of her pouches.

The two boys glared at the bottle, but said nothing.

He really should do something about that, even if for just one day they were his responsibility. He stood up, reaching for the bottle.

Sakura snarled, and spiked her killing intent. He actually took a step back, before he could reign himself in again. Damn the brat had a lot of killing intent. Maybe talking her alcohol was a bad idea.

Only one day, her parents could take care of her then.

On the other hand, the snickers from the sidelines informed him, that if he didn't get the bottle whatever credibility he had would be lost.

“Hand over that bottle brat.” He glowered at the girl.

She glowered right back. “I paid for it, get your own booze.”

“There will be no drinking while on duty.” He tried again.

“Ask me if I care.” She countered. “Besides there are no rules like that in the regulations.”

“I make the rules.”

The snickers again, damn brats. But if they could use killing intent, so could he.

He spiked his own, glaring bloody murder at the girl.

She blinked and snorted. “Got ta do better than that pretty boy. I know kittens more menacing.”

Kakashi stared. He couldn't do anything else, he just stared. The girl, the fresh, freaking, genin! Just took enough killing intent to induce a heart attack on most civilians, and she blinked! Blinked! As if it she had been hit by a foam kunai or something.

He looked at the boys, to see if they were alright, Naruto stood there, his expression mirrored the girls, utter boredom.

Sasuke looked mildly interested at least...

So... he couldn't scare his genin... at all.

He wouldn't cry, just because his genin wouldn't accept his authority... he wouldn't cry, just because he had been outdone by genin... nope, no crying.

At least not where they could be seen.

“Fine.” He muttered, he would get them for this. Oh would he get them. “First team meeting is tomorrow, training ground 7.” He smiled at them. “It's survival training.” They looked at each other and shrugged.

“If you fail you'll go back to the academy.” He prodded them. But honestly, he didn't really expect a reaction. If they had found out as much as they did, they probably new this bit too.

They didn't disappoint him, shrugging again, Sakura yawned.

“Hmm you know about the failure rate then?”

Bored nodding all around him.

“Then you are dismissed.” They turned around, and made their way off the roof.

“Just one more thing.” They stopped, well the boys stopped, Sakura continued walking, slower though.

“You shouldn't eat breakfast, you'll puke.” He grinned at them, but the boys just rolled their eyes and followed Sakura. Spoilsports.

He watched edge of the roof they had disappeared over...

Slowly he walked over and looked down. His genin walked down the road, the boys chatting, the girl guzzling a bottle... he frowned, she should be waving around the street, not walking as easily as the boys.

He would have to get to the bottom of this.

But first the test. And for his humiliation... they would have to face more than just him.

He chuckled, rubbing his hands together. Gai would love an opportunity to introduce new genin to the flames of youth wouldn't he?

Sure, it would annoy Kakashi as well, but sacrifices had to be made for the greater good.

- - -

Sasuke sat in training ground 7. Eating his homemade bento.

He loved his good looks, just a little bit of flirting with one of his neighbors, a middle aged woman. And he had a very nice bento. It didn't taste like the ones his mother made, whenever he ate at home, or visited. But it was good nevertheless.

He had two more, for his teammates. At first the woman had glared at the thought of Naruto receiving one of the bentos. But Sasuke had talked her around. Explaining that the fourth knew what he was doing, that he would never risk the village by using an unsafe seal.

She had still been skeptical, pointing to Naruto's pranks. But a little tale about the kid, who hated by everybody around him, no friends, no one with even the slightest kind word... a little sadness creeping in, a little quiver of the lips.

She had been crying by the time Sasuke finished, made the bento extra big and told Sasuke to invite Naruto to eat with her anytime he liked.

Sasuke smiled at the memory. He would gain acceptance for Naruto, just like he had gained acceptance from the village.

He looked up, as Naruto made his way into the training ground.

“Naruto! Over here!” He shouted, waving the blond over.

Naruto grinned and plopped down beside him.

“Shouldn't we be training or something? We do need to become stronger.” Naruto said easily. And blinked at the bento that Sasuke trust at him.

“Yeah, but we can enjoy ourselves a bit before then. Besides an empty stomach produces less chakra than a full one.” He winked at Naruto.

Naruto nodded happily and dug in. A second later he stopped. And stared at the food.

“Something wrong?” Sasuke asked. Hopefully the woman hadn't poisoned the bento. He didn't think so...

Naruto's adoring stare quickly reassured him though. “This is awesome. I didn't know you could cook!” He very nearly shouted. Before diving in again.

“I can't, I asked one of my neighbors for some food.” Sasuke laughed, seeing his friend make a pig out of himself always amused him.

Naruto looked up, with a raised eyebrow. “Just like that? Man if I asked now...” He trialed off, his face fell for a second. Then it lighted up again. “But I will get their recognition. I did it once I can do it again.”

Sasuke nodded. He liked that about Naruto, he always bounced back, from whatever the world threw at him.

“Well, you could just ask the woman who made that for you. She invited you over. Said she wanted to apologize for the way she treated you.” Sasuke watched his friends face, all wide eyed and confused.

Also choking. Sasuke handed Naruto some juice.

“What?” Naruto asked, unbelieving.

“Eh, I just told her how you were all alone, had nobody to look after you, and that the fourth would never use an unsafe seal. She turned around pretty quick.”

Naruto stared at him. “No way...”

“She even cried as she made your bento.” Sasuke added.

Aww, now Naruto teared up, how cute.

Ugh he sounded like a girl. He shouldn't have let Sakura drag him everywhere.

Maybe he could undo the damage if he let this Sakura drag him around? Chances where he would end up with a fine collection of manly hobbies... or in leather bend over a bar getting spanked by a guy in even more leather.

He wouldn't put selling him as a gay slave past this Sakura.

Speaking of. “Hey Sakura!” He shouted at the approaching girl, giving her his most winning smile.

She returned it with her most evil glare... ok one of her less evil glares. She had so many of those.

“Morning idiots. It's disgusting how cheerful you already are.” She greeted them.

“Sasuke brought food.” Naruto said between bites. “Why should we be cheerful?”

“Feh.” Sakura hissed and turned away.

“I have a bento for you too.” Sasuke said, carefully holding it out for her.

She turned to him, still glaring.

But she did return, snatched the bento and walked away.

He nearly missed the muttered, “Thank you”.

He smiled, especially when her face lit up in pleasure.

It was eery, how she changed, when the near permanent frown disappeared. It almost seemed as if she lost years and went from a weary old woman, back to the child she should be.

“It's good.” She muttered, looking down at it. “Like the one my mother made...” She took another bite, slowly chewing. Eyes closed.

Sasuke looked at Naruto, who also watched her, smiling.

Sasuke scooted close to Naruto. “She.” He trailed off, not knowing to continue.

Naruto just nodded, eyes still focused on Sakura. “Yeah.”

Only those words were needed. They would do their damnest, to bring that happiness to her more often. To wipe out her pain, and replace it with better memories.

“You are all here already, good.” Kakashi said. Sasuke whirled around, he hadn't noticed the man appear, too engrossed with Sakura, who looked at them man, then her food. She quickly polished off what remained and stood up, her mask firmly in place again.

“Kakashi, up so early? I thought we had some time to train before you showed up.” She drawled.

Kakashi just rolled his eyes, but said nothing.

Naruto frowned at the man, who had interrupted Sakura's happy time.

“Well, since we are all here, I can explain this test to you.” Kakashi continued.

“I even asked for some backup.” He smiled through his mask. “Can't make this too easy for you now could I?”

Sasuke felt a shiver run over his back. Backup sounded bad. Usually the jonin tested his students alone.

And then he saw it. The horrible, horrible green, the jumpsuit, the eyebrows.

“Gai.” Naruto and him muttered together, horror evident in their voices.

Behind him stood his team, Lee, Neji and Tenten. Sasuke looked towards Sakura.

She stared at Lee. But not with the horror he had expected, instead with...

“Ahh such a beautiful flower. I, the beautiful green beast of Konoha, Rock Lee. Will protect you forever.” Lee cried out, throwing a kiss towards her.

Everybody's eyes widened, as Sakura turned her cheek and accepted the kiss, a small blush and a huge grin on her face.

“Oooh how nice of you Lee.” Sakura winked at him.

Sasuke looked around. Naruto stared, his mouth open, eyes widened in horror.

Neji looked as if he ran headfirst into a wall.

Tenten stared at the girl, eyebrow raised, mouth opened in slight confusion.

Gai smiled, teeth shining. But his eyes showed his confusion.

Kakashi just watched on in silent horror, shaking his head in denial.

Even Lee took a few seconds to realize he hadn't been rejected. He blinked a few times. Before he grinned, showing off his shining white teeth. And gave her a thumbs up.

Sakura blew a kiss back.

And Sasuke new the bitter taste of defeat. He had been beaten, utterly beaten by Lee. Lee had gotten a girl before he, the great Sasuke Uchiha had managed to.

He bowed his head. The first step to improve yourself, was to accept that you had been defeated after all.

The second step was to analyze why you had suffered defeat.

And it was easily apparent why.

Item one, Sakura hated him, or better a certain version of him. That made it very hard to impress her.

Item two, she didn't hate Lee. He probably didn't abandon her. Also he would probably have supported her through the hard years that followed...

Damn, how did you beat that?

But Sasuke was on her team. He had that advantage at least. He smiled at Lee. Savor your victory, it wouldn't last.

- - -

Naruto shook his head. She had a thing for Lee! Lee! Mini Gai!

This... this was...

Well she always had been nice to him after the chunin exams. So he shouldn't be too surprised.

And if he and Sasuke had both defected, it would be perfectly understandable.

Still she remained standing where she was, not moving closer to Lee.

Naruto wondered why. Then she pulled out a bottle and Naruto realized just what would happen if Lee got close to her.

He gulped and looked at Kakashi, who had apparently gotten over his shock.

“Uhh Sensei?” Naruto ventured, but Kakashi waved him off, as he tried to recollect himself.

“Not now Naruto, I need to reassemble my worldview.” Kakashi said.

Naruto nodded, he could understand that, but.

“But Sensei, I need...”

Gai coughed into his hand. “While I fully approve of my cute Lee's fortune, we came here to test you three. Though I don't know why Kakashi devised this overly harsh test.”

Kakashi came to again and focused on Gai.

“These three just seem exceptionally capable. I merely want to test their limits.” He grinned at them.

Gai nodded. “I see, and since a fight against a jonin would give you first hand knowledge, a fight against opponents only very much better than them would truly drive them to their limits.” He nodded.

Naruto raised his hand, desperation slowly crept into his body, as he watched Sakura look at Lee, her smile slowly shifting into something very very creepy.

Especially with the bottle of very strong alcohol on her lips.

“Uhh, Gai sensei I don't think...”

“Don't worry, Naruto. I won't let my students hurt you too much. I'll make sure they stop well short of any permanent damage.” Gai pinged his teeth at Naruto.

“Are you scarred Uzumaki?” Neji snorted, his voice filled with disdain.

Naruto looked at the fool, who thought Naruto feared him. “No I'm not, at least.”

“You should be. I can see your destiny. And you are destined to fail. You will never become Hokage Uzumaki. Failures like you, will never amount to much.” Neji glared.

Ok the idiot wanted his ass handed to him by Lee? He could get his ass handed to him by Lee.

“Whatever you say asshole.” Naruto shrugged.

Sasuke glared at Lee, then at Neji.

Tenten stood there, face buried in her hand.

“I'm surrounded by idiots.” She muttered.

Suddenly Sasuke stood beside her. And patted her on the back.

“Don't worry, they will eventually grow up.” He smiled softly at her. Not that it seemed to have much of an effect, she just raised an eyebrow.

“Oh and you think I'm not counting you amongst the idiots?” She asked him.

“Of course you do. Doesn't mean I'm not right though.” Again that smile, and a wink.

And Tenten smiled back, even while she shook her head.

“I see the tales about you being a depressed brooder are false.” She said.

Sasuke shrugged. “All lies and falsehood spread by jealous children. How could I ever brood in the presence of a beautiful flower such as yourself?”

She chuckled, just before she attempted to punch him in the face.

“Nice try Uchiha, but I'm not a girl that falls for flowery speeches.” She shouted at Sasuke, who had retreated to a safe distance. “I hear enough flowery metaphors daily.”

Sasuke shrugged, still grinning. “I know. But I bet they can't deliver it with such flair.”

“Kakashi can you get on with it?” Sakura interrupted the couple. “I want to introduce myself to Lee. Can't do that here now can I?”

Kakashi sighed, but nodded anyway. “Yes yes I suppose I should explain this test to you.”

He pulled out three bells and flung them to the three genin of Gai's team.

“You'll have to get all three bells. Only if you give me the bells will you actually become a genin.”

“Otherwise it's back to the academy yeah yeah.” Sakura muttered.

“So we just get the bells from them and give them to you?” Naruto asked.

“We? I only accept the bells from one person.” Kakashi smirked at them.

“Kakashi, that's just too cruel, you can't do that.” Gai cried.

Naruto sighed, the ploy was ridiculously obvious. Still better not say anything.

“I can and just did. Only one of them is worth of becoming a ninja anyway. Isn't that right Sasuke?”

Naruto just wanted to punch Kakashi. The idiot didn't even realize... no he did. Judging by the dejected expression on his face as he watched his genin not react at all. Or with scorn only for him.

“Yeah, Naruto is the only one worthy of it.” Sasuke agreed.

Sakura snorted, but nodded her head.

Kakashi sighed, then smiled. “Ok usually you would already have passed, obviously you can work as a team.” He nodded to them.

“However, you pissed me off. So I'm adding to the test. Hand me the bells, and I'll accept that you aren't just arrogant beyond all reason and really are that good. Maybe you'll even last till 12. you have 4 hours, to try and take the bells from Gai's students. Every hour me and Gai will take any bells you already collected away from you.” He stared at them, his eye dancing with glee.

“I hope you enjoy yourself.” He looked at them all. Only Gai's students had reacted at all, shuffling uncomfortably in Lee's or Tenten's case, an angry glare in Neji's.

Gai just watched impassively.

“Begin!” Kakashi shouted.
Originally planned to have the test in this chapter... but it was already way over 10k words...
Kirai

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » April 20th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Ahaha, I like it.
Grammar nitpicking though -'proof' is not a verb, the word you want is 'prove'.
I like how Naruto appears to have been trying to warn Kakashi about the dangers of exposing Lee to alcohol... and poor Kakashi just ignores him.
This is going to be an interesting test.
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Random_fan » April 20th, 2010, 8:50 pm

I loved it, though a slight grammar nitpick you keep spelling safe instead of save, apart from that it's great.
Random_fan

Unread postby Kirai » April 21st, 2010, 1:02 am

Ugh you found only those errors... I just read over the last part and ugh so many errors^^

But it's just the first draft, so I'm not too upset about them.

Still not looking forward to going over all 20k words of the chapters.
Kirai

Unread postby Random_fan » April 21st, 2010, 1:07 am

Well this being a first draft most of the errors I didn't bother commenting on but the safe/save things has carried over to your work on FF.net.
Random_fan

Unread postby Kirai » April 21st, 2010, 1:43 am

Thanks for mentioning that.

I'll have to go over my stories and fix it^^
Kirai

Unread postby Darkandus » April 23rd, 2010, 4:27 pm

Good stuff, I get the feeling Sakura is going to deliberatly set off Lee's Suiken.
Darkandus

Unread postby SLAMU » April 24th, 2010, 12:09 am

You think?
SLAMU

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » April 24th, 2010, 3:14 am

Gah! I am loving this, please please please keep writing, I have not been able to stop reading this until I finished since I started.

*mild seizure*

"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Dechstreme » April 29th, 2010, 11:44 pm

What other things do you got planned for the story?
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Kirai » April 30th, 2010, 3:43 am

Well, Sakura in a fit of drunken rage will want to make Uchiha Uzumaki babies, but doesn't want to...

*dodges various bullets coming his way*

Kidding! I'm kidding!

Nah, I have a few ideas, but nothing too fleshed out yet. I will probably use SLAMU's litte thing with Orochimaru, because that is jsut too awesome not to use^^ But besides that, I'm not too set on where this goes yet.
Kirai

Unread postby Kirai » May 4th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Two days, of writing work and more writing, but I managed it^^ chapter three, as always not proof read, but hopefully still enjoyable.
Fragments

--o--

Premature Revelations

--o--

Sakura didn't waste even a second and hurled herself at Lee, a demented smile on her face.

Naruto didn't risk more than a glance, before he grabbed Sasuke and evacuated.

“The hell?” Sasuke shouted, glaring at Naruto, as he carried him away from the danger zone.

“What are you doing Naruto? We have to help Sakura!” Sasuke wriggled in Naruto's hold, but didn't managed to free himself.

“Bas... Sasuke, how much alcohol does it take to make Lee drunk where you come from?” Naruto asked, the utterly... gone boy?

“What the hell are you waiting for slowpoke?” Sasuke asked from much farther in the forest.

Naruto threw away the log Sasuke had replace himself with and accelerated. He risked another glance over his shoulder, and saw Sakura, wrapped around Lee like a glove, giving the fortunate... or unfortunate, he couldn't really tell, boy a well executed kiss. With tongue and lots and lots of alcohol.

Naruto shuddered briefly and disappeared further into the woods. He had to be as far away from Lee as possible, otherwise he might end up a target.

--o--

Kakashi stared at his lone remaining student.

Briefly he glanced around for the others, but they had fled as soon as the fight started.

Honestly? Of all the things he had expected, this wasn't the way he thought it would go.

And he had been so sure, they would work as a team...

“What the hell do you thing you are doing?” Tenten screamed. Kakashi wriggled a finger in his ear, trying to get rid of the ringing the shrill sound had left.

“Let go of Lee! And Lee, stop kissing her. We have a mission remember?” Tenten approached the couple glaring at them furiously.

“Hmpf. As you could expect from a failure.” Neji interjected, his byakujan active and searching for Kakashi's other students.

Kakashi noted that Sakura had pulled back... and smiled. He shuddered. He recognized that smile.

Anko smiled like that, he himself smiled like that. Ibiki smiled like that.

It meant that somebody had royally fucked up and you were going to fuck them over. A lot.

“They are jealous of our love Lee.” Sakura said, loud and clear for all to hear.

Kakashi gaped. Trying to turn a teammate against his team? Low blow, really low blow.

More importantly, it would never work. If Lee was anything like Gai. Kakashi glanced at his rival, and stopped. Gai shouldn't be this pale.

He shouldn't be this pale at all...

“Gai? What's wrong?” Kakashi asked, not entirely able to keep the dread out of his voice.

“Why does Lee look like he's drunk Kakashi?” Gai asked, his voice trembling in what Kakashi could only describe as horror.

He blinked and looked at Sakura.

“Say how much alcohol would you need to get Lee drunk?” He asked, all causal like.

Gai looked at him strangely. Probably could hear the worry in his voice.

“Well... he's a real lightweight. So a small cup of sake...” He said.

Kakashi nodded. Lee stumbled here and there glaring at his teammates.

Them shouting insults at Sakura and Lee probably didn't help.

Well Tenten shouted. And really, she only shouted at Sakura, for being so brazen and playing with Lee's heart to further her own goals.

Neji simply insulted both of them in cool clear words.

And Sakura acted like a poisonous snake, filling Lee's ears with poisoned words filled with false declarations of burning passions and....

Kakashi turned out Gai's commentary, honestly when did he start listening to that? Instead he interrupted Gai.

“So, if somebody were to drink massive amounts of alcohol, say two three bottles of sake...” Sakura pulled out another bottled and chugged it's contents. “Make that four to five.” Kakashi amended.

“And then kissed Lee... for quite some time...”

Gai stared at the girl, as she destroyed another bottle. “You mean that's alcohol?” He asked, paling.

“Yeah, pretty much. She's been drinking it since yesterday...”

“Oh no... this is bad...” Gai muttered, looking at Lee worriedly.

Kakashi glanced back, in the direction his students had run. Could they have known? If they knew of Sakura's plan to turn Lee... then their presence would indeed just hinder Sakura and removing themselves would be the right decision for teamwork...

“Ahh, Lee! Help!” Sakura screamed, winding herself frightened in Tenten's hands.

Tenten snorted in disgust. “Pathetic. And you call yourself a kunoi...” Lee's fist interrupted the girl, as it slammed into her face and send her into a tree, at the end of the clearing.

Kakashi glanced at Gai. “Shouldn't they know better than to give Sakura that opening?” He asked.

Gai hung his head in shame. “Sadly the fires of youth burn brightly in them. As such, they don't always... think things through.”

Kakashi snorted at that. All ninja started out as hot headed idiots. Even he himself had been like that. Not that he had been hotheaded, but certainly an idiot, who didn't think things through.

Neji stared in horror at the Tenten's body, crumpled at the ground of the tree she slammed into.

“I see I overestimated you Lee. You are even more of a failure than I thought.” He sneered, stupidly in Kakashi's opinion. Didn't the fool realize what he was doing?

He glanced at Gai again... who repeatedly slammed his head into a tree.

“Something to work at I assume?” Kakashi said.

Gai didn't stop, but managed to work a nod into his head banging.

Kakashi glanced back at Sakura, who had just finished kissing Lee again.

“I believe in you Lee.” She said,again perfectly audible for everybody in the clearing. And she smiled at him sweetly...

Damn, she looked as if she actually meant it! And like that, she looked so young... so much younger than he thought possible. He hadn't even realized just how old she seemed. Damn.

Lee gave her a thumbs up and charged Neji head on.

“Well, using his weakness against alcohol to make him fight against his team. A dirt tactic, but since it worked, it's hard to say something against it.” He watched as Lee fell to the ground five feet away from Neji, who glared at his fallen comrade.

“It's not that he's easily manipulated like that.” Gai said, watching the catastrophe again.

“Huh?” Kakashi asked smartly.

“The last time he had alcohol...” Gai continued, as Neji attempted to hit Lee. Who fell in and out of Neji's fists again and again avoiding them by luck alone. Kakashi's eye narrowed just like Neji's.

Not luck... Neji simply couldn't predict...

“That's right. Lee's a natural master of the drunken fist. He destroyed the restaurant we celebrated in before we could stop him.” Gai nodded.

“Do your other students know that?” Kakashi asked, quietly, he didn't trust his voice.

Gai didn't say anything, instead he watched the fight between Lee and Neji.

Which went well for the later. For a given value of well at least.

--o--

Sakura smirked as she watched Lee drive Neji before him.

Anybody with half a brain could see that Lee would loose. Even powered by the drunken fist, he just couldn't match Neji's speed and precision.

However, Neji had taken quite a beating already. And once Lee dropped, taking him out would be easy.

She chuckled evilly. Wannabees, who thought they knew what being a ninja entailed. Betrayal was such an integral part of being a ninja...

“Lee! Help!” She screamed again, as Tenten attacked her from behind. She had played dead, and now attempted to take Sakura out before Neji had finished Lee. Smart girl really.

But Lee just had so much more power and speed. And Sakura had so much more situational awareness.

She snickered, poor... what the hell?

Lee had charged Tenten, who had stared at the oncoming green fighter in something akin to horror. Considering the glare on his face, understandable.

But suddenly she disappeared, only to reappear in the arms of Sasuke, twenty feet away from them.

Sasuke smiled at the girl. “Heh, sorry about this, but I couldn't let your comrade hurt you any more than this. Just goes against my religion to let a pretty girl get hurt by such unfair tactics.”

Sakura snorted as the girl blushed. She noticed Sasuke's hand had strayed dangerously low and shook her head. He certainly had the touch, judging by Tenten's increasing blush.

He carefully set her down again. “Are you alright?”

“I... I didn't need your help.” She attempted to glare at him.

She even succeeded. Somewhat. The blush didn't help her glare.

Sasuke shrugged easily. “Eh, it's just. I couldn't have defended myself against an attack from Naruto. Or Sakura, if they suddenly decided to attack me for a girl or a boy.” He looked at the ground.

“I'm sorry.” He muttered.

Tenten looked away, missing the slight smirk on Sasuke's face.

Sakura shook her head. Poor girl, to fall for him that easily.

What would she do if she ever came across a ninja who actually specialized in seduction?

For Sasuke it might as well be just a hobby.

Lee glared at the new arrival, just like Neji. “Lee, I thin Tenten actually touched me.” Sakura distracted him, before he did something stupid, like attack Sasuke. Not that it wouldn't be funny. But she wanted to pass. Beating Sasuke could wait till after.

--o--

Naruto watched the scene in front of him with a lot of amusement. Most of team Gai had been reduced to blushing and stammering.

Only Neji still stood and he just glared impotently at everybody around him.

“Well, I expected this to go quite different if I'm honest.” He said to Kakashi and Gai. “I expected some epic battle. Blood tears and sweat. Not cuddling and kisses.”

Kakashi nodded, Gai glanced at him confused.

“But, since they decided to go down that route.” Naruto's grin treated to split his face in half. “Might as well see if I can't knock that stick up Neji's ass lose a bit.”

Now Gai and Kakashi stared at him in something approaching horror.

“Hey Hyuga!” He shouted, to catch Neji's attention.

“What do you want?” The boy in question spat. Glaring at everybody in the clearing. Naruto could see a few bruises on his face, where Lee had landed some punches despite Neji's near perfect defense.

“Take this! Harem no jutsu!”

Kakashi's eyes went wide. Gai chocked, Lee finally entered the realm of sleep complete with a blood red nose. Sakura just shook her head.

Sasuke activated his sharingan, recording the event for posterity... he what?

Naruto gaped at Sasuke, ignoring Tenten's reaction totally. Sasuke actually... oh god... he...

And suddenly sexy no jutsu became a forbidden jutsu. Who knew what Sasuke would do if he got his hands on a clone?

Naruto shuddered.

And focused his attention on Neji. Who hadn't destroyed the clones before they reached him.

He had developed a nice twitch in his left eye though. Naruto grinned, he might have resisted the worst of the jutsu, he might even resist it totally. But the objective had been met.

“Pathetic!” Neji screamed, though it did come out a bit garbled, before he sprung into action.

His hands flew, destroying clone after clone after clone. In five seconds all clones but one had been destroyed. And Neji stood alone at his place, panting heavily.

“Ohh, maybe the true Hyuuga bloodline doesn't extend just to the girls...” Sakura whistled.

Naruto couldn't help himself, he glanced down.

And up again, as soon as he could. He didn't need to see that!

Neji glanced down as well. And quickly up again. His stoic masked cracked quite nicely.

Naruto turned to Kakashi. “So, do we pass? We did manage to get the bells in under ten minutes and without a single scratch on us.”

“What?” Shouted both Tenten and Neji.

Sasuke shrugged at the glaring girl. “Sorry, but if I can combine the pleasant with the necessary...” He winked at her.

Neji patted himself down desperately, then glanced at Naruto, who held his newly gained bell up grinning at the boy.

“Sorry, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the failure here.”

Neji's eyes widened in fury and he turned away.

--o--

Kakashi coughed. When Naruto said he hadn't expected it to go down like this, he had echoed Kakashi perfectly.

And this hadn't really been teamwork... but then, they just hadn't needed teamwork. They had just... attacked a weak-point int the enemy team and succeeded beyond all expectations.

“Err... I suppose you pass?” He muttered weakly. What else could he say? They had utterly beat Gai's team. Well, utterly ridiculed them. Same difference.

Neji fumed, glared and raged at the world at large.

Tenten glared at Sakura, who still had Lee in her lap. And Gai cried bitter tears, for the misfortune of his team.

It hadn't gone as planned, sure. But the outcome could be considered a win still.

Yes, this could be considered a win. He chuckled and turned towards his team.

“Though I suppose the old assessment was wrong. You aren't a heavy assault team.”

Naruto looked at him in confusion. “Huh what do you mean? Of course we are an assault team.”

Sasuke nodded, while Sakura ignored the world around her, in favor of petting Lee's unconscious body. Kinda creepy really. Though the smile she wore actually didn't scare him.

She seemed... happy, really.

“Well, you didn't do much attacking did you? Sasuke used pure seduction, Naruto used his feminine wiles and Sakura used alcohol and words to confuse Lee into attacking his teammates. So, a seduction team is a far more accurate description.” He grinned at his genin.

Sasuke rubbed his chin in thought, his face scrunched up in thought. Naruto glared at Kakashi, muttering something about forbidden techniques and Oiroke. Sakura continued her petting, but she didn't focus on Lee anymore, instead she stared into the air.

“Finally!” Sasuke burst out, drawing all eyes to himself. “Finally somebody recognizes my talents!” He bowed to Kakashi, solemnly and with great elegance. “I for one am in favor of making team seven a seduction team.” He winked at Tenten, who glared back, but couldn't hide her blush entirely.

“Yeah, seduction means parties. Parties among the rich and powerful. Which means the best alcohol available. Count me in.” She licked her lips listing names of various alcoholic beverages.

Naruto glared at his teammates. “You guys suck!” He muttered.

“Only guys I like.” Sakura retorted and provided Kakashi with way to much information.

“I'm reasonably sure I'm not gay.” Sasuke interjected, giving Naruto an apologetic lock.

“Reasonably?” Tenten asked. Her blush had returned full force.

Sakura glared briefly at him and Naruto, Naruto turned green. “Reasonably?” He asked as well.

“Well, there was that guy... he was really, really pretty...” Sasuke shrugged.

Kakashi felt his visible eye twitch. Why did his genin feel the need to fill him in on their sex lives... why the hell did they even have sex lives? They were twelve, they were supposed to think the other gender was icky!

Ok he hadn't been like that. And Rin and Obito certainly hadn't. Ninja. And people wondered why they were all so messed up. Sexual tension, therein laid the problem. Certainly not in the massive trauma of loosing a comrade, team-leader or the asshole you were kinda, never, best friends with.

“I hate you all.” Naruto shouted and turned around. Sasuke simply shook his head laughing.

“So we passed as a seduction team and will only get missions like that from now on right?” Sakura asked hopefully.

Kakashi returned her hopeful stare with his own deadpan one. “No.” He said, dashing the hopes of the girl. “No free booze for you.” He added, she had more than enough anyway.

“My eternal rival.” Aww Gai was crying... again. “I must train my team better, if they could be bested by your team of academy students!” He wiped the tears away, his smile shining brightly. “I have to thank you my rival, for bringing this weakness to my attention.”

Kakashi didn't smile. Nope he didn't nearly loose it at the misfortune his team had just unleashed on team Gai, minus Lee and Gai.

Maybe the Hyuuga would loose that stick up his ass from this.

He seemed to be in complete agreement with his own team there. Naruto openly laughed into Neji's face.

“I foresee a fate worse than dead Neji. Who's the failure now?” He taunted the boy.

Neji glared at him, eyes twitching. “I will accept any training Gai might have in mind for us.” Neji said coldly.

Tenten didn't take it as well. “I will hunt you down Uchiha. You will pay for this. You hear me? Pay!” She rounded on Sakura. “And you,” she stalked over glaring dead and destruction at his genin. “Let go of Lee already.”

She grabbed Lee, and for a second Kakashi thought she might loose and arm. But Sakura restrained herself to a low growl, as Tenten snagged Lee away from her.

“To use Lee like that. Disgusting!” Tenten spat. “And then you'll drop him at the first opportunity for the sweet talker over here.” The growl got louder. Damn, the girl knew how to talk herself into a hole.

“I know your type, weak little girls, playing at being a ninja, while you have no idea...” Kakashi, Gai, Naruto and Sasuke moved at once. Kakashi had barely reached Sakura in time to grab her hand, and stop it, a millimeter from Tenten's face. Or better, to stop the kunai a millimeter from Tenten's eye.

Sakura snarled, and Kakashi felt himself reminded of nothing so much as of an rabid animal.

--o--

How dare the little bitch? Sakura strained against the people restraining her. How dare she?

She wanted to kill her, rip her into pieces and piss on them.

She knew nothing! Nothing about what it meant to be a ninja, nothing about the loss, the pain and the loneliness.

Tenten didn't know anything but the safety of the village, and the peace real ninja had given their lives for. She snarled again, trying to kill the foolish little girl. Her killing intent driving the girl to her knees.

She could see her gripping the kunai and turn it onto herself. Just a little bit more...

“Sakura!” Kakashi slapped her, breaking her concentration and her fury. “Stop it now!” He shouted at her.

Tenten sat on the ground, eyes wide, breathing heavily, staring at Sakura in terror.

Neji stood a bit back, shaking madly. She grinned at him, all teeth and he shied back even further.

Naruto and Sasuke on the other hand just stared at her. Stared at her with those eyes, that held so much pity, so much...

She spat on the ground, in front of Tenten. “Don't you dare say I don't understand what it means to be a ninja little girl. I understand a lot better than a weakling like you.” She shrugged Kakashi off and backed away.

She could feel his eyes on her, narrowed and worried. She might have just given herself a direct stay in Ibiki's cells. Damn.

“What was that about Sakura? You just tried to kill her.” Kakashi's voice was hard and cold. Just like his eyes. “No matter how much she insulted you. You don't attack a ninja from Konoha with the intent to kill.”

She chuckled darkly. “Even if that ninja betrayed Konoha? Even if they are called Itachi, Orochimaru... Madara?”

Kakashi flinched with each name. His eyes widened in shock at the last one.

“What? Madara is death.” He muttered.

Sakura snorted. Though internally she was shouting at herself. This had been stupid, she shouldn't have lost control over a little thing like Tenten insulting her.

She glanced at the gibbering wreck on the floor. Just a girl, a stupid little girl, who couldn't know that Sakura wasn't just like her... she glanced back at Kakashi, damn, she had to give an explanation for why she acted like this... she glanced at Sasuke and why Sasuke didn't act like his old self. Damn, damn, damn.

--o--

Naruto cursed in his mind. He should have done something the second Tenten had opened her mouth. Even if he didn't know Sakura would react like that. He should have realized, that in many ways she was just like Sasuke. Extremely broken, maybe irreparably so.

And you couldn't just insult a person with so many problems like that.

And know? Now she had given Kakashi ample reason to be suspicious. Not that Naruto minded much. Maybe they couldn't avoid revealing themselves now. Certainly an outcome he could live with.

But... she looked around wildly. A caged animal. If Kakashi caught her now, she might just run. And from what she told him she might just run to Madara... damn it. They couldn't reveal themselves yet.

A plan, a plan and fast. Madara... Madara...

“Who's Madara?” He asked, there might just be an out there, let the bastard be useful for once.

Sakura whipped her head around and stared at him. Madness shining in her eyes, madness and paranoia.

Sasuke shuddered, but took his cue.

“He's one of the founders of the Uchiha, he fought the Hokage at the valley of the end.” He said.

Naruto nodded. “So, he was a traitor?” He asked. Sakura twitched.

Kakashi answered this one. “Yeah, but the Hokage killed him.”

Naruto had great trouble to suppress that snort. Sakura didn't even bother.

Sasuke just looked away, shaking his head. “No he didn't.” He whispered.

Both Gai and Kakashi gasped.

“I.” Sasuke stopped and looked at Team Gai, still shell shocked from Sakura's attack. “Maybe they shouldn't listen... they don't need.” He looked at Naruto, then at Sakura. “She certainly didn't take it well.” He muttered.

Naruto wanted to kiss him. Suspicion deflected, for now. Sasuke had bought them time to get Sakura to calm down. However unlikely that turned out to be. Still they had to try.

“What do you mean?” Kakashi asked, looking between Sakura and Sasuke worriedly.

Sasuke looked at team Gai again. “They should leave, this is... private.” He whispered.

Kakashi looked at Gai, who nodded and rounded up his genin. “I'll leave you to it Kakashi. This is your team after all.”

He looked at Sakura, his eyes going strangely soft. Naruto didn't know whether he could look at somebody who had just tried to kill a student of his. But Gai managed.

“Young lady.” A snort from Sakura, who guzzled another bottle. “I know whatever you have seen must have been hard.” Sakura coughed as the alcohol went down the wrong pipe and glared at Gai.

And now Gai's eyes were hard, harder even than Kakashi's. “But if you attempt to hurt one of my students again, I will break you. Is that clear?”

Sakura looked back, eyes as hard as Gai's, narrowed and cold they glared at each other. Neither willing to back down.

Naruto hissed. “Sakura!”

She wrenched her eyes away. “It's clear.” She muttered sullenly. “I'm sorry, it's just. She doesn't know, she doesn't understand just how... what's waiting... and yet she insults me...”

Gai nodded, his eyes had softened again. “I can't understand what you went through, but... I perfectly understand why you would react like that.” He laughed, it sounded... somehow pure. “I know I wanted to kill a lot of people, who presumed they knew the pain I went through, the sacrifices I made. And I do appreciate, that you want to get to know Lee better.”

The glare was back. “But I'm afraid as long as you can't control yourself, I can't allow you near Lee. Especially with the amount of alcohol you drink.”

He nodded at Kakashi, picked up Lee and left a Sakura who looked from Lee to her bottle and back.

Wow, that might just be more effective than anything Naruto might have come up with, to stop her drinking.

“Well, we are alone now.” Kakashi said, looking at Sasuke, with that deceptive boredom he could fake so well.

--o--

He was screwed. Sasuke realized. Well and truly screwed. Not only did he have no idea what actually happened on the massacre, he had no idea how he could work Sakura into this.

He looked at the girl, who had just displayed a level of rage... god the kyuubi might become jealous, he would have to check that with Naruto at some point.

Kakashi lifted an eyebrow. Oh god, he needed to stall!

He looked at Naruto, who nodded once, quickly.

“Madara helped Itachi?” He asked, and Sasuke nodded, slowly. That actually made a lot of sense, Itachi alone wouldn't have been able to slaughter the entire clan, even he would sooner or later run out of chakra.

“Yeah.” He whispered. Now how did that explain Sakura turning from docile lamb into vicious bloodhound?

“And...” He continued, seeking out her eyes. She looked away, but he could see her guilt and disgust. That she would be in his dept! That had to irk her more than anything. Damn, it would make things even more difficult with her. And just as they had gotten so much better.

“and Sakura had been there as well. She had seen him.” Sasuke finished. Now he just needed a plausible explanation for why she didn't die with the clan.

Kakashi gasped and looked at Sakura. “How much did you see?” he asked.

Sakura shuddered and took a deep gulp from the bottle.

Sasuke noticed that her hands were shaking.

“Everything.” She whispered. Sasuke strained to hear anything. “I saw him, saw him cut down that kid. Itachi I mean.” Sasuke could see her crying, she sniffled and wiped the tears away. “And, and so many others. He just kept cutting and cutting them down. I was, I kept myself hidden beneath one of the benches. I didn't think he noticed me. But... but...”

Her breathing came heavy now. And she shook like a leaf in the wind.

“He looked at me! He looked at me and smiled, covered in blood and parts and...and...” She stopped, curled up and simply whimpered on the floor, the bottle forgotten beside her.

Kakashi slowly approached her and picked her up into an awkward hug, gently rocking her back and forth.

Sasuke decided to continue the story. He suspected she hadn't told them of the Uchiha massacre at all, but of one she had experienced later, much later. Maybe at the hands of one of her Sasuke's ninja, maybe her Naruto's chakra beasts.

“I... didn't know about it back then.” He said, he doubted he would be in a much better condition than her.

Naruto nodded. “You came after it was all over didn't you? You mentioned it, after that thing with Sakura happened yesterday.”

Sasuke wanted to give Naruto a thumbs up, for the idea.

“Yeah. Yesterday, after our teams were announced, she came up to me. Said something about a genjutsu she learned. She acted kinda weird. Like... I dunno, in trance? Murmured something about paying the bastard back, finally.” Yeah, that was good. Explained why he acted different too.

She used the genjutsu Madara used to wipe her memory of the day on him because... damn it why would Madara just wipe her memory? It didn't make any sense.

“He said.” Sakura piped up, holding onto Kakashi with enough strength to make the man wince. “He said, he might need me one day. And beside, I wasn't an Uchiha, so he had no reason to hurt me.” She giggled madly. “As if he hadn't hurt me already.” She buried her face in Kakashi's shoulder.

Sasuke remained quite. He had no idea how to continue. Well he had, the direction had been set and all, but. He didn't like lying to his teacher. What he had said up till now might in some way shape or form be considered the truth... if you were very very drunk... and on drugs and poisoned and insane.

But if he continued now, he would really be lying.

Luckily he didn't have to, Naruto decided to finish the story.

“Yesterday, whatever that guy, Madara used on her stopped working for some reason. They didn't really tell me anything, no details but she used something on Sasuke and man, were there a lot of hand-seals in it.” He mimicked somebody running through a lot of seals real fast.

“And suddenly Sasuke stopped scowling, he actually, you know, smiled.” Naruto looked down.

“But Sakura stopped smiling.” He glanced at her, her face still buried in Kakashi's shoulder. “And started drinking. Dunno how she keeps going.”

“Read bout it.” Kakashi's shoulder said.

“There's a jutsu you can use to remove most of the alcohol you drink from your blood and store the poisonous elements in your body.” She hiccuped. “You can expel the alcohol as a weapon once you have gather enough.”

And blew her nose on Kakashi's shirt.

Sasuke didn't smile. Surprisingly easy that.

Kakashi grimaced, but patted Sakura's head, trying to pry her of his shoulder.

“I see.” He muttered, pulling her up and handed her her bottle. “Here, take a swig.” She grabbed the bottle greedily and drank in deep gulps, until no liquid reached her lips.

Taking a shaking breath, she wiped away her last tears and looked into Kakashi's eyes. “I'm sorry cap... sensei.” She bowed her head. “I should have controlled myself better, what happened is in...”

Kakashi laid a finger on her lips. “I think under the circumstances. Your loss of control is... understandable.”

Sasuke nodded, he bought it! He actually bought it! Luck is with those who think on their feet after all.

“Yeah, as I said yesterday. It will probably take a while to deal with the emotions. It took me four years... and I still hadn't dealt with them. Only because of that weird jutsu... I... I'm calmer now.”

Heh, saying one thing and meaning something entirely different, fun.

“So, what now?” Sasuke asked, looking at Kakashi expectantly.

Kakashi in turn looked at all of them. Sakura, who stared at the ground, avoiding eye contact with them all.

Naruto frowned worriedly at Sakura. And Sasuke just stared back, into that unreadable eye.

“Well, I'll have to talk to the Hokage about this, obviously.” Kakashi said after a minute. “Sakura might have to go in for evaluation, to make sure she's fit for service.” He shook his head.

“If she can't get over this, she might have to quit being a ninja.” He looked at Sakura sadly, who had briefly looked at him. But after hearing that, she turned away again.

“In the mean time however, you are my team. As I said you guys passed.” He smiled widely at them. “If the Hokage gives me permission, we start work tomorrow. Meeting point is the bridge to the training grounds. Dismissed.”

With a flash Kakashi disappeared, leaving the genin to their own devices.

Or appeared to at least. Sasuke could still feel him. An ordinary genin probably wouldn't. But Sasuke hadn't been ordinary, ever.

He glanced at Naruto, who simply gave him a hand sign. Later then, in real privacy.

He made his way to Sakura, still slumped on the ground.

“You want to go eat something? Maybe replenish you stash?” He offered her a hand.

Staring blankly at it for a second she finally pushed it away and herself up. “I... thanks, but no. I'll, I'll go think about stuff.” She sighed and walked away. But just before she had left their field of vision she stopped. “And... thanks, for... you know.” Another flash and she was gone.

Sasuke couldn't help but smile. Even if she had nearly killed a comrade, especially because she nearly killed a comrade. The little things like that, convinced him she would be worth saving.

Naruto walked up to him, a heavy frown on his face. “Well, that could have gone better.” He said, watching the spot from where Sakura had disappeared.

Kakashi had gone as well, leaving them truly alone.

“Yeah. Thanks for the pulling my ashes from the fire there.”

Naruto shrugged. “No problem, couldn't let Sakura mess this up for herself, could I?”

Sasuke shook his head. “No you couldn't.”

Cocking his head he sighed. “It's not the same.”

Naruto glanced at him with a raised eyebrow. “What isn't?”

Sasuke grinned slightly at Naruto. “Flirting. Whenever I flirted with a girl back home Sakura would drag me back at the ear. She was kinda possessive.” He smiled sadly. He wondered how things were back home...

And shut the thought down hard. Better not think about it. Ever.

Naruto snorted, but nodded. “I can see that. Very funny image actually.”

“It's your regular entertainment really.” Sasuke grinned.

“You hungry?” Naruto asked.

“Yeah, all this drama really drains you.”

“Well then, let's go. Time to get stuffed.” Naruto shouted cheerfully.

Sasuke could see he had to force himself sightly, pushing the worry away. But there was enough real cheer in there to not bother him overly much.

After all, if Naruto didn't feel troubled at all... well that would be so much worse.

--o--

Kakashi watched Sakura take off alone. Not that he blamed her, after what just happened he would need some alone time as well.

He watched his other students, the didn't talk much, not that could hear them from this distance, or even read their lips with any accuracy. But he just bet they knew he still hung around.

He wanted to grin, really he did. They had proven their mettle today. If only Sakura hadn't revealed that side of her. He shuddered. It reminded himself of nothing so much as the Kyuubi. The same hatred and disregard for anything else. The same blood thirst. Only contained in a human. A little girl at that.

Disturbing on many levels.

He had been oh so tempted to fail them all then and there, hand them over to Ibiki for a full mental evaluation... well hand over Sakura and be done with it.

But then they had come up with that beautiful story, played hints and tips to each other and managed to paint a very intriguing picture. A picture that kinda fit their shift in personality and would explain everything.

Sadly it also wouldn't hold up to even the most cursory investigation. He had spotted a few holes her and there, the most glaring being the one where they started to act strange before yesterday.

Off by a day and explainable by the excitement revelations like that would bring with it, never mind the shock of Sakura's reaction just minutes ago.

Still, the story didn't hold up. But for now he didn't have an adequate explanation and he seriously doubted they were spies. As he thought before, spies just weren't this incompetent. And nobody would send emotionally unstable people like Sakura to spy anyway. And he had no doubt, whatever else had been true about their story, that Sakura had experienced the slaughter she described.

There had been far, far too much real pain there, pain that had been released for the first time in ages.

He had seen a breakdown like that before. One of his subordinates... he had kept it all bottled in, never complaining about the mission, never even mentioning it. And then, one day he flipped out, attacked some civilian for a wrong word. Luckily, just like here comrades had been on hand.

The results were remarkably similar. The same release, the same story, only the details were different.

He had been removed from active duty of course. But after 4 weeks he returned. Much more balanced, with many more smiles.

Kakashi had never been sure if that hadn't simply been a new mask, one to replace the stoic one he wore before, or if Ibiki had simply brainwashed him.

In the end, Kakashi decided it didn't matter. He had kept an eye on him, made sure that no civilian said something that could set him off and the guy had become a competent ninja again.

Hopefully with Sakura a few weeks of D-Rank missions would have the same result.

He looked back at his students and decided to give the boys some privacy. He did need to talk to the Hokage about this. Whether he wanted to keep them or not.

--o--

Tenten shivered as she walked in front of Gai. That girl had tried to kill her. And if it hadn't been for the rest of her team and Gai she would have succeeded. Actually she might have succeeded regardless, just by spiking that ridiculous killing intent at her.

“Sensei.” She began, still trying to get her shaking under control. “What... what did she do there.”

She could still see Sakura's eyes. Crazy and wild, blood lust shining within. “I, I would have killed myself if you hadn't stopped her.” She shuddered, how could that little slip of a girl produce so much killing intent? You had to be a jonin or something to do that.

Gai, Lee still slung over his shoulder, sleeping off his buzz, continued walking. But she could see him thinking.

She glance at Neji, who walked quietly behind them. He had been shaken as well, in fact he was still shaking.

“Do you know what killing intent is?” Gai finally asked.

She nodded, of course she did, every genin did. “It's your chakra, saturated with your desire to kill the enemy.” She said quickly. Talking actually seemed to help with the aftereffects.

“Yes. It's a good description. Wrong of course, but a good description nevertheless.” Gai nodded, as they reached their own training ground and set Lee down, against a log.

Tenten blinked, but that had been what they were taught in the academy.

“Neji, would you try to give a more factual description?” Gai asked.

Neji studied Gai for a second then nodded, slowly. “I would have said the same. However, now that you mentioned the mistake I can see where it is.” He pointed at the village. “Even civilians can display killing intent. Of course, they don't have chakra, or better nowhere near the quantities we have, and certainly no control over it.”

He paused and breathed in, finding his center again and finally stopped shaking. Tenten hadn't duplicated the feat yet.

“But even so, they can, under the right circumstances, reach an impressive level of killing intent.” He continued. “So I would assume a better description is the desire to kill projected and enhanced by your chakra. The more chakra you have, the stronger the killing intent.”

Gai nodded and looked at Tenten. “Exactly, so you see, killing intent is a lot like genjutsu, you chakra acts as a conduit for your thoughts, making your enemy see things you want them too.”

He gave her one of his smiles. “Can you tell me why hers is so strong, even without the massive chakra required to reach this level of killing intent?”

She frowned, how could you reach that amount of killing... think Tenten! Think. How did she project her own killing intent? She just kinda... did...

“She focuses on projecting it. She isn't just releasing it unconsciously, she's doing it quite deliberately! She uses her killing intent as an actual weapon.” She exclaimed.

Gai nodded happily. “That's correct. It's not something a lot of ninja do, due to it's rather limited effectiveness against opponents of a certain level. You'll notice neither me nor Kakashi were affected.”

Neji snorted.

“Much.” Gai conceded.

“Neither were her teammates.” Neji added.

Now Gai blinked, and looked at Neji. “Well I suppose...”

“Why weren't they affected? They are just fresh genin. They should have been affected worse than we were.” Tenten asked.

They had been through over 10 C-Rank missions and yet these genin had walked over them, as if they were nothing! How could that be? It was as if all their training meant nothing.

Gai sighed and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Tenten, both Sasuke and Naruto didn't have an easy life. Sasuke especially, he already had experienced something like this once before. And, he was extremely lucky to make it out alive.”

He looked at her, but he didn't seem to see her.

“Maybe Sakura had been there as well...”

He glanced at the Hokage monument for a second, before his gaze returned to her.

“And Naruto has his own burden to bear. Quite a heavy burden. You shouldn't feel bad because they already have enough bad memories to deal with something like this better.”

She shuddered at the reprimand. What kind of childhood did it take to stand up to that sort of killing intent?

Neji also looked down. She knew his childhood hadn't been all that pleasant either, and still he had been affected... damn it this was insane.

“We need to be stronger then.” Neji said, his eyes narrowed. “We have training to do.”

Gai nodded, smiling proudly at them.

“But still, can you believe how she used Lee?” She growled, no matter how bad your childhood, using somebody as gullible as Lee... despicable.

Gai raised an eyebrow. “Used him?”

Neji rolled his eyes. “It was clear from the second she accepted that kiss, that she planed to use him against us.” He sneered. “She might have some skill, but if she had stood in an open fight, she would have lost.”

Tenten nodded, glaring in the direction they had just come from. “Yeah, as soon as she finished with us she would have dropped Lee.”

Gai didn't smile anymore, instead he watched them sadly. “And that is the reason you lost.” He sighed.

Tenten gaped at him, Neji barely managed to restrain himself from doing the same, instead he glowered.

“What do you mean? Were we supposed to let her turn Lee on us?” Tenten burst out.

“Of course not.” Gai said, tears streaming down his face. “But if you didn't want her to turn him against you, why did you help her then?” He had pulled a handkerchief from somewhere and blew into it.

Tenten didn't know what to say. Here her teacher said that she had helped that little tease to turn Lee away from his teammates. She looked out for him, made sure he didn't fall for one of those girls, who only cared about their own advantage and Gai said she helped her?

She glanced at Neji, who stared at Gai with open disbelieve. Wow, Gai managed to rattle him once again.

Gai honked dramatically in his handkerchief, then put it away. To where she had no idea and frankly, she didn't want to know.

He knelt beside Lee and pulled something out, a little note.

“It seems Neji, your eyes aren't quite as powerful as you say they are, if you miss something like this.” He held the note out for them to read.

Tenten continued to stare at the note for a good five minutes. It just didn't make sense. What kind of girl would invite somebody like Lee to spend the night with her?

Sure he was loyal, hard working and nice. But the spandex, the poses, the flowery speeches!

Neji had developed a twitch she noticed.

“Lee... girlfriend... Lee! Girlfriend!” He muttered.

“I'll admit, I had my doubts as well.” Gai put his hands on their shoulder, after he collected the note, complete with lipstick kiss, from their numb fingers. “But once he passed out, those doubts had been wiped away. Nobody who didn't care looks at somebody like that.” He nodded, full of conviction.

“Sakura cares deeply for Lee. If it is true love.” Hearts and flowers appeared behind him. Damn it, some day she would learn how he created those genjutsu and she would shut him down. “Or merely a briefly burning romance. I will support my cute student to the full extend of my abilities.” He finished in his nice guy pose.

Tenten groaned, this just wouldn't end well.

Neji just continued to gibber uselessly. She hit him over the head. “Cut it out, it's not that implausible.” She growled.

Neji stared at her, then pointed the impossible out. “Lee! Girlfriend!” He said, with his usual eloquence.

She raised an eyebrow. “Yes, stranger things have happened.”

Neji just had to ask, apparently. “Lee? Girlfriend?” Well that did provide a valid point.

“Just because I can't think of it happening doesn't mean it didn't.” She defended herself.

Neji shook his head. “Lee girlfriend.”

Huffing Tenten turned towards Gai, who had followed the exchange with a flat glare.

“What should we have done then? Nothing? She would have gotten Lee's bell then.” She said.

“Exactly.” Her insane teacher replied.

What did she ever do to deserve this team? Did she start the first great ninja war? Was that it?

“But she would have the bell and set Lee against us!” She whined. Neji supported her with energetic nodding.

“No, she would have gotten his bell. If you had been supportive you would have send a drunk Lee against her comrades.” Gai countered.

Which, actually was a valid point. Damn him.

She hung her head. “I, I, yeah, you are right sensei.”

“Instead you enabled her to use your actions against you. Using your own words to lace her poison with honey!” Gai cried again.

“Well, in order to make up for this mistake we will have to train harder.” He grinned at them, thumbs up teeth out.

Tenten whimpered, this wouldn't end well at all.

“Lee my student wake up!”

--o--

Sakura sat underneath a great tree, hidden by shadows from the world she nibbled at her last bottle.

She had lost it, totally and utterly lost it. Over a stupid thing like an insult! Over Lee!

Sure, he was a great guy and she wouldn't mind spending a lot of nights with him, she grinned perversely. But still, she should have more control.

She had never flown of the handle back home. It had never even occurred to her that she had a problem with her temper.

Though now that she thought about it, since the only thing she ever did with other humans she met back there, involved killing them a lot, she might just never have gotten the opportunity to get pissed.

Very likely that.

She curled up on herself, outside she could hear the giant animals of the forest of death, howling in their search for food.

Unnerving in a way. She remembered the forest dead and empty. Only the skeletal trees remained, many broken but enough intact to make for a nice hideout.

She sighed. And she would have to thank the idiots. They had protected her, or better her easy life.

Not that she thought Kakashi had bought the story they told him. Her captain wouldn't fall for something so full of holes.

But he would want to investigate, which meant he wouldn't send her to Ibiki if he didn't have to.

Through a small hole she could see a small piece of the sky. Every now and gain a small fluffy cloud hid it from view.

She smiled slightly. Back, before Madara found her, she had often watched clouds like this. There hadn't been much to do, sitting in the ruins of Konoha. With nobody around but monsters and animals.

And the longer she had lived in the forest the less there were of either.

She listened to the sounds of live above her.

It sounded good.

--o--

Naruto slurped down his third bowl of delicious ramen, while Sasuke downed his second. Both boys hadn't talked much, after they left the training ground.

Naruto hadn't been sure what to say and Sasuke had been lost in thought.

“What are we going to do with her?” Sasuke set his bowl down and looked at Naruto, it was clear that he expected him to come up with something.

“The way she acted. It was more like she was an animal.” He trailed off. “A bit like the Kyuubi really.”

Naruto nodded, it scarred him, seeing her like this. But he refused to give up. He hadn't for Sasuke and he had betrayed them all. He wouldn't for Sakura, who may or may not, have succumbed to the same darkness.

“I dunno.” He muttered. “We have to control her somehow. I mean, it's obvious she lost her self control at some point.” He stared into his bowl of ramen. “Even if she had always been kinda violent...”

Sasuke nodded solemnly. “True, she kinda liked beating me over the head whenever I did something stupid.” He rolled his eyes. “Anko always said I deserved it, whenever Sakura did it.”

Hmm, again with Anko. Sasuke mentioned her quite often...

“What's it with you and Anko by the way?” Naruto just had to ask.

“Huh? Oh she was our genin sensei.” He asked grinning.

A whimper escaped Naruto's lips. And he had survived? Relatively sane?

Sasuke was a better man than Naruto, that was for sure. He doubted he could ever have survived Anko's teaching methods.

“What's wrong with Anko? She was great, always nice, gave us challenging training and exiting missions. Also all kinds of great advice.” Sasuke frowned at him.

“Uhh... well, our Anko... well I think she would get along great with Sakura.” Naruto stammered.

And nearly wept. If Anko and Sakura ever got to meet each other, and didn't start fighting on the spot...

--o--

Anko wondered why she felt like cackling madly. But then, she didn't bother figuring out her feelings, she followed them whenever she could get away with it.

So she cackled madly, in the middle of the marked.

--o--

“Aaaaanyway.” Naruto said, ridding himself of the uncomfortable thought. “We need to find a way to uhh calm her down?” He looked at Sasuke questioningly.

“I believe the term was control.” He answered.

“Well yeah, control.” Naruto looked into around, trying to find a solution.

A little girl dragged her puppy behind her on a leash, away from the butchers shop.

“Heh, too bad we can't put a leash one her eh Sasuke?” He joked. Man that would be funny.

Sasuke didn't answer.

“Sasuke? You there?” Naruto turned to him and stared into a smile. A smile he had seen a lot, especially in his travels with Jirayia.

A smile the dirty old pervert got every time he peeped on girls, or wrote in his book.

“Sasuke, what are you doing?” He asked the boy carefully. Making every effort to keep his voice neutral.

“Hmm?” Sasuke asked, his eyes unfocused.

“Sasuke, what are you thinking about?”

“Hmm Sakura in nothing but a leash?” He answered dreamily.

One minute later Naruto's brain rejoined the world of the living.

It had been a pleasant fantasy. Maybe they should try to get Sakura...

A minute later the shaking stopped.

“You are aware that if you ever approach her with that idea, she'll rip out your throat with her teeth aren't your?” He asked Sasuke.

Sasuke blinked, shuddered and nodded. “Yeah. So that idea's out. Pity.”

“God damn it. Anko turned you into a pervert!” Naruto shouted.

“Geez you are as much of a prude here as back home.” Sasuke rolled his eyes.

Gaping Naruto stared at the boy. Prude? Him?

He pointed at himself wildly. “Me? Prude?” He asked.

“Yeah, you.” Sasuke shrugged. “One more bowl please.” He asked Teuchi.

“Oiroke no Jutsu!” Naruto screamed, revealing his most sexy creation yet.

Naruto turned back, sharingan in full force.

“Prude?” Naruto nearly shouted in his face.

“What would you do if Jirayia stood in front of a strip-club?” Sasuke asked calmly.

“What the hell kinda question is that? I would get the hell away from that place, before he mangaes to drag me in!” Naruto shouted back.

“The defense rests.” Sasuke shrugged again and turned back to his ramen.

Leaving Naruto there, in sexy form, jaw hanging down, utterly beaten.

Minute later he dispelled the form, and sat down again.

The additional guests, that had suddenly joined them, groaned in disappointment and turned back to the ramen they had ordered.

“So, still have the problem with Sakura.” Naruto said, dropping the previous conversation.

Sasuke sighed. “Let's give her some time. Maybe that's all she needs. I mean, how much contact did she have anyway... how used is she to social...”

He looked around the full stall.

Naruto nodded. “Yeah, I get your point.” He pulled out a few bills and laid them out on the counter.

“No need for that Naruto. Today's meal is free.” Teuchi grinned. Ayame glared at her father, but said nothing.

“Huh? Thanks old man.” Naruto laughed.

“Mine too I assume? I'm kinda the one who made him do it.” Sasuke interjected.

Teuchi laughed. “Yeah kid, your meals free too. Visit me again will you? It's good to see some friends of his.”

Sasuke nodded, ginning cheerfully. “I will!”

Well, he had no idea what that was about. And something told him, he didn't want to know what it was about either. Still, free ramen made the day a win in his book.

Hopefully Sakura would return to normal tomorrow.

--o--

Kakashi stood in front of the Hokage, watching the man sort through a few papers, he had been reading before Kakashi had entered.

“Kakashi, what can I do for you? I assume this is about team 7?” He sighed. “They didn't pass?”

Kakashi shook his head. “No, they did. But...” He shifted uncomfortably.

“Naruto didn't give you any trouble did he?”

Kakashi coughed. “Err no not Naruto.”

“Sasuke then? The boy went through so much...” The Hokage looked down sadly.

“Not him either.” Kakashi muttered.

Sarutobi looked at him, eyebrow raised. “Sakura? Sakura Haruno gave you trouble?” He asked, disbelieve dripping form his voice.

“Yes.” Kakashi said simply. He actually hadn't been able to come up with a way to voice this without sounding insane.

“What did she do? Did she try to kidnap Sasuke or something?” Sarutobi asked, head in his hand.

“Not really.” Kakashi sighed. “I think I best start from the beginning, when explaining the situation.”

The Hokage nodded.

“Well, during the introduction yesterday, they revealed some rather interesting tidbits of knowledge.” And nobody needed to know that they actually managed to be later than him, while still being on time. Nobody would ever find out!

“They also displayed some advanced skills and an inflated opinion of themselves, so I decided to take them down a peg or two.”

Half closed eyes regarded him suspicious. “Taking them down a peg or two? What did you do Kakashi?”

He coughed again. “I err, recruited Gai's team to help me with the test.” He admitted.

“You did what?” The Hokage shouted. “Are you insane? Gai's team will eat those kids alive!”

Kakashi scratched his head, grinning proudly. “If by eat alive you mean, be crushed utterly, then yes, yes they would.”

The angry eyes blinked in confusion. “What?”

“My team managed to utterly beat Gai's in the contest. Only Gai's team sustained any damage. Mine was entirely unscathed.”

Oh this look of utter confusion on the old man's face was gold! If only he had a camera.

“How? How could they beat Gai's team?” He asked, after a full minute of silence.

“Err, well Sakura kinda seduced Lee and kissed him.” Kakashi admitted.

“And that Lee's teammates just stood there?”

“Well, after it became clear that Lee was very very drunk... and Naruto and Sasuke had fled, they kinda tried to separate...”

“Lee was drunk?” The Hokage interrupted him. “And Naruto and Sasuke fled...”

Well, now he felt like the worst liar ever. This must be how Obito felt every time he made those excuses.

“Yes. It seems they knew what happens if Lee get's drunk.” He explained.

“But how did he get drunk?”

“Sakura kissed him.” He said. It wasn't exactly a difficult concept to understand.

“And that induces drunkenness.” Sarutobi deadpanned.

“Yes?” Kakashi asked. What else was it supposed to do? He felt certain, that if he wandered too close to Sakura he would wake up with a hangover the next day as well.

“Why?”

“Oh, of course, you wouldn't know. Sorry.” Kakashi chuckled. How silly of him.

“Kakashi, I'm waiting.”

“Err yes, well Sakura did drink about 10 bottles of Sake today, it's to be expected really.” He shrugged his shoulder.

Sarutobi's head hit his desk.

“What did I do to deserve this Kakashi?” He asked.

“Now that, should be fairly self evident.” Kakashi glared at the man. “You stuck me with a team! And I have to explain them already being messed up enough to have their own quirks!”

He smiled behind his mask.

“Oh, also they tell me Madara is alive and kicking, and helped Itachi kill all the Uchiha.”

Wow, that did it, Sarutobi just stopped working and did his best to imitate a statue. This could take a while.

--o--

“So, what you are saying is, that Sasuke is currently under a genjutsu developed by Madara, used on Sakura to suppress her emotions, after she witnessed the massacre, which failed recently, so she used it on Sasuke, to at least temporarily give him the ability to deal with his loss.

“All the while Naruto has witnessed her using it on Sasuke. And Sakura is a fully functioning drunk, thanks to a highly complicated jutsu she read about in a book.”

The Hokage summed up team seven's rather impressive fabrication.

“Well, that's what they say.” Kakashi shrugged.

“Right, did they honestly think you would fall for that?” The Hokage pinched his nose.

Again Kakashi shrugged. “I don't know, maybe. But I think they just wanted to give me something to investigate. It is kinda plausible and does, kinda, explain their shifts in personality.”

“You didn't think about them being replaced by spies?” The Hokage asked.

“What kind of spies, would be so incompetent?” Kakashi countered. “After they managed to take their place? No, there is something going on with them, and I want permission to investigate.”

They stared at each other for a minute, then the Hokage nodded. “Alright. Permission granted. But you have to make sure Sakura isn't a risk to anybody in the village. And keep a very, very good eye on them. They are all dangerous... and in danger.”

Kakashi nodded, he knew that. But they were also his students. And, Sakura had held him... that wasn't the way you hugged somebody you just met yesterday.

He reminded her of somebody, somebody she lost. How she already lost somebody so close to her, especially with nobody ever noticing.

Well, that would be one of the things he planed to investigate. And hopefully he wouldn't have to throw his students to Ibiki.
In the second pass I'll probably expand one scene a bit. The potential for awesome was cut short a bit. Stupid Tenten.
Kirai

Unread postby Darkandus » May 4th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Looks good so far.
Darkandus

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop