Tips on creating a outline

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Tips on creating a outline

Unread postby Halinmonk » April 8th, 2010, 11:20 pm

I have decided that I need a outline for my fanfictions "Passions" and "Temperance" if I want to have the motivation to actually write them.

The problem is that I can’t find a good template anywhere on the net. So does anyone have any tips on how to create one? I have the general idea it’s just I can’t get it into the right format/template.
Last edited by Halinmonk on April 9th, 2010, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halinmonk

Re: Tips on creating a outline

Unread postby Dervon » April 9th, 2010, 6:25 am

What do you mean by template?
Dervon

Unread postby Halinmonk » April 9th, 2010, 9:22 am

Template: something that establishes or serves as a pattern

Such as pattern by which to formate my outline
Halinmonk

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » April 9th, 2010, 9:41 am

There is no set template for writing a story, except Beginning Middle End, and even that can be changed around sometimes.

So find out where your story begins. Then find out when it ends. Then decide the key events you want/need to happen in the middle (an order would be a good idea, too). Then fill in the gaps between all those points.

That's the best advice I can offer you. I normally use a method similar to that. =/
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Kirai » April 9th, 2010, 9:56 am

Heh, I don't even have that, I generally have an idea, then let the characters react.

I don't know wheter that makes a good story, at least over time, but it entertains me and hopefully other people over time.

At the same time, I have a few general ideas on what will happen in the future, events that aren't influenced by the characters. It's a bit easier in fanficition, where you can take over events from canon and so need less focus on where the story is going.

But that does lend itself to light entertainment better than deep and good storytelling.

Suits me just fine, especially since I write to entertain myself
Kirai

Unread postby Halinmonk » April 9th, 2010, 10:03 am

I know that extremely well. But the thing is that I'm that I'm trying to write out a outline of the events of my story so I can put said ideas into prospective and tweak around with the overall plot rather than going chapter-to-chapter with a general idea. In short I want to put out all the ideas I have for my stories so can focus and refine them before actually writing out the story itself.

My problem is that when I think of a plot bunny before I even get to computer I usually have the first half of the story worked out. By now I have most of "Passions" worked out and pretty much all of "Temperance" so I think the best way to keep writing the story itself is to get out on papper exactly what the plot is and how the events are going to go.
Halinmonk

Unread postby Kirai » April 9th, 2010, 10:08 am

Well, if I bothered with an outline first thing I would do is give myself a timeframe.

How long does the story last from start to finish?

A year? Ten? A day?

Then write down the start, the end and the middle.

From there write scenes synopses where they are planned to appear in the timelime.

The more details you have the easier it should be to put them in the right place.

Every scene also should only be a short summary of what happens.

For example:

Sakura finds out Naruto plans to betray the leaf. Trys to convince him to stay. Fails dies.

That could be in the middle of the story.

The end would be:

Ino faces Naruto, challenges him and wins. Restores justice.

Or something like that.
Kirai

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop